• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

PolymerNG will use Vulkan and D3D12

User is offline   TON 

https://www.khronos....ormant-products

User is offline   Player Lin 

Oh great, but I don't want to install that driver so early, since it still in beta and PolymerNG hasn't ready yet. :dukeaffirmative:

User is online   0815Jack 

like I assumed my card could be supported but is left behind.....

User is offline   Mark 

My card is compliant but the list shows 32 bit drivers for Win 7 and 8 but not Vista. That leaves me out for now.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Don't tell me you're still using Vista??

User is offline   Mark 

Yeah. I've been holding out on a new OS until I buy a whole new computer system. And it seems I'm too lazy to find and buy one. But with this announcement and the one from Google Chrome of abandoning Vista support in a couple of months, I may just have to get off my ass.

User is offline   neoacix 

Vulcan 1.0 has been released! :dukeaffirmative:
Hope we will see it in action this year.

User is offline   Diaz 

Great news. I really look forward to this new renderer! Will make my stuff actually releaseable. Keep on the good work.

User is offline   Steveeeie 

View PostDiaz, on 18 February 2016 - 11:26 PM, said:

Great news. I really look forward to this new renderer! Will make my stuff actually releaseable. Keep on the good work.

It's not happening, the guy has gone.

• Honored Donor

Yeah he's a month overdue according to his last post which isn't a positive sign.

User is offline   Diaz 

Too bad...

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I'm learning a lot in my Interactive Computer Graphics class.

(I cbf to find the link to the dis gon b gud gif so just imagine it here)

User is offline   Mark 

I don't want to post a pic so just imagine me pouting in a corner because I might not get the renderer I want.

• Honored Donor

View PostHendricks266, on 28 February 2016 - 11:12 AM, said:

I'm learning a lot in my Interactive Computer Graphics class.

(I cbf to find the link to the dis gon b gud gif so just imagine it here)

It seems that by far the biggest barrier stopping large new features from being implemented is the lack of available time. You've done some great things for eduke32, but surely you'll be spreading yourself too thin if you attempt to do anything polymer rated on top of everything else you want to do?

I'm personally still hopeful that icecoldduke may yet come back and continue work, however that becomes exponentially less likely the longer we wait. Has anyone actually heard from him recently?

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

February 16 via PM-

Vulkan got released so I'm going to start porting over the existing code over to Vulkan.

• Honored Donor

By that date he hadn't started it yet, and he also didn't give an indication of when he will start doing it, unless some of the message is missing. However that's certainly a good sign.

From the same February 16th PM..

There isn't much in watching dev commits, I'll open up the P4 stuff when the game is rendering a level properly.

User is offline   Steveeeie 

View PostHiPolyBash, on 01 March 2016 - 06:45 PM, said:

From the same February 16th PM..

OK random lurker who has only recently joined. I totally believe he is still working on it and we can expect news any day now. :whistling:

User is offline   TON 

Icecoldduke made a duke3d port with opengl in 2003

#Respect

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Before everyone gets their hopes up, PolymerNG is going to have to meet the EDuke32 team's standards before it has a hope of making it in.

Primarily, it has to work with all of the existing systems we have built and mods that have been made over the years, meaning MD2/MD3 models and PNG textures loaded through defs, etc.

We would also need assurance that ICD owns the copyright to his code, and not his employer.

I haven't actually seen any of ice's code yet, so I can't speak to its quality.

View PostTON, on 02 March 2016 - 11:12 AM, said:

Icecoldduke made a duke3d port with opengl in 2003

#Respect

Have you actually tried said port? :whistling:

User is offline   TON 

View PostHendricks266, on 02 March 2016 - 11:16 AM, said:

Have you actually tried said port? :woot:

It has a few bugs :whistling:

User is offline   Mark 

even if it doesn't meet the team's standards for backwards compatibility I am looking forward to using it in a custom project or 2.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 02 March 2016 - 03:47 PM

• Honored Donor

Primarily, it has to work with all of the existing systems we have built and mods that have been made over the years, meaning MD2/MD3 models and PNG textures loaded through defs, etc.

He did seem willing to put the support it, although it always seemed to be an unusually low priority.

What port is this?

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Before everyone writes him off, it may be worth considering that, like everyone else here, he is probably juggling work and his personal life along with trying to get stuff done here.

Just saying.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 02 March 2016 - 10:59 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

It's only been a couple months. And he even said he was taking a hiatus. If he disappears for a year I'll start to wonder what's going on. I won't get concerned until another year after that, unless there's some kind of official statement. Time seems to run bullet-time slow on the internet.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 16 March 2016 - 08:01 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Please explain why we are insisting that any new system be completely backwardly compatible with a renderer that has caused every creator who used it to despair at it's shortcomings and even abandon projects due to it's problems?

MD2 models with the 'boiling vertice' problem - we really want to support that? Why? It's faulty from design. That has no place in any kind of modern engine at all. MD3's are little better.

We want to have something that EDuke can use in the future, not keep it tied to the past. NG - if, at this rate it ever actually happens, should be a separate renderer.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 29 March 2016 - 04:35 AM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

View PostTea Monster, on 29 March 2016 - 04:33 AM, said:

Please explain why we are insisting that any new system be completely backwardly compatible with a renderer that has caused every creator who used it to despair at it's shortcomings and even abandon projects due to it's problems?

You mean Polymost, which also supports all of the same things as Polymer except lighting? Yeah, let's just completely break compatibility with everything done since 2003!

Currently any mod that works in Polymost will work in Polymer and generally vice versa, minus the TROR issue (which will hopefully be fixed as time goes on). Heck people even managed to screw with their gamma settings and play Decay in Polymost which was not made for it at all.

Spoiler

View PostMblackwell, on 29 March 2016 - 06:29 AM, said:

You mean Polymost, which also supports all of the same things as Polymer except lighting? Yeah, let's just completely break compatibility with everything done since 2003!

Why not just have it as a separate option for those who want to use it?

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Why not just not break compatibility with well tread, non-obscure file formats?

User is offline   Hank 

ehmm, for what it is worth, backward compatibility is somewhat important.
I left the Cryengine because they do not guaranty it, and for other reasons. They focus on big developers and their needs. Unity 3D is similar.
This unwritten rule of EDuke32 to keep it backward compatible is why I am here. :whistling:

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options