Duke4.net Forums: PolymerNG will use Vulkan and D3D12 - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

  • 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

PolymerNG will use Vulkan and D3D12

User is online   MusicallyInspired 

  • Buy Mage's Initiation!

#241

That one is the Sound Canvas pack that I made. I wasn't asking which pack you were using. I was asking if metadata loop tags and FLAC are supported.
0

User is offline   Hendricks266 

  • Weaponized Autism

  #242

If he keeps audiolib, support for all of that will come for free, as long as libFLAC can be built for the platforms he is targeting.
0

#243

View PostHendricks266, on 14 April 2016 - 11:07 AM, said:

If he keeps audiolib, support for all of that will come for free, as long as libFLAC can be built for the platforms he is targeting.

I'm not at home at the moment, but I don't believe I have flac enabled right now. I'll try to get that enabled for the release. There *shouldn't* be any reason why it won't just work, do you have any FLAC content I could use for testing?

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 14 April 2016 - 12:12 PM

0

User is online   MusicallyInspired 

  • Buy Mage's Initiation!

#244

View Posticecoldduke, on 14 April 2016 - 12:09 PM, said:

I'm not at home at the moment, but I don't believe I have flac enabled right now. I'll try to get that enabled for the release. There *shouldn't* be any reason why it won't just work, do you have any FLAC content I could use for testing?


Yep, right here:
http://sc55.duke4.net/games.php#duke3d

Also, you still haven't answered this question. Do the metadata loop tags embedded in OGG and FLAC work? If you don't know what they are they are values in audio samples of points in the music tracks where the audio should loop. If you've got OGG working already, it would just be a matter of checking the first level to see where it loops. It should be seamless and not fade out. If it does fade out the metadata loop tags are being ignored. I guess that's something we'll find out with the first build anyway, but there you are.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 14 April 2016 - 12:26 PM

0

#245

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 14 April 2016 - 12:24 PM, said:

Yep, right here:
http://sc55.duke4.net/games.php#duke3d

Also, you still haven't answered this question. Do the metadata loop tags embedded in OGG and FLAC work? If you don't know what they are they are values in audio samples of points in the music tracks where the audio should loop. If you've got OGG working already, it would just be a matter of checking the first level to see where it loops. It should be seamless and not fade out. If it does fade out the metadata loop tags are being ignored. I guess that's something we'll find out with the first build anyway, but there you are.

I'm using the AudioLib from vanilla EDuke32, if the audiolib supported metadata loop tags, then the release should support it as well. I'm not that versed in audio development, when I do a release if you find metadata loop tags are not working, or another audiolib feature that worked in vanilla EDuke32(besides midi's) that doesn't in PolymerNG please let me know. I'll do my best to track it down.

EDIT:
Hendricks do you know off hand how much memory each FLAC file takes when its loaded into memory? The file sizes for your flac pack are pretty big(1gb for all sounds?). That's 5x the size of the ogg pack.Remember I only have 1 gb of ram to play with on the consoles.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 14 April 2016 - 12:36 PM

1

User is offline   Hendricks266 

  • Weaponized Autism

  #246

View Posticecoldduke, on 14 April 2016 - 12:30 PM, said:

EDIT:
Hendricks do you know off hand how much memory each FLAC file takes when its loaded into memory? The file sizes for your flac pack are pretty big(1gb for all sounds?). That's 5x the size of the ogg pack.Remember I only have 1 gb of ram to play with on the consoles.

The full decompressed stream. My FLAC packs are for music, so only one file will ever be in memory at a time, not the whole gigabyte.

Somewhere you mentioned wanting to work on input, but that's something else SDL gives you for free. (SDL gives you just about everything for free. That's why it's so great.) Granted, our controller support is sub-par at the moment, but if you plug a keyboard and mouse into your XB1 I would hope you have no troubles.
0

#247

View PostHendricks266, on 14 April 2016 - 12:40 PM, said:

The full decompressed stream. My FLAC packs are for music, so only one file will ever be in memory at a time, not the whole gigabyte.

Somewhere you mentioned wanting to work on input, but that's something else SDL gives you for free. (SDL gives you just about everything for free. That's why it's so great.) Granted, our controller support is sub-par at the moment, but if you plug a keyboard and mouse into your XB1 I would hope you have no troubles.

I'll try that when I get home. As long as FLAC files are only used for music it should be ok. I'll deal with FLAC after I get input working. I want to go around and find all the different render fuckage I can, and get those bugs ironed out.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 14 April 2016 - 12:46 PM

0

User is offline   Photonic 

#248

View PostHendricks266, on 14 April 2016 - 12:40 PM, said:

Granted, our controller support is sub-par at the moment, but if you plug a keyboard and mouse into your XB1 I would hope you have no troubles.


I was going to mention something about controller issues earlier when icd (can we call you icd icecoldduke?) mentioned XB1. I will volunteer to help testing on any controller work being done. It's always been a bit of a let down for me that my very common xbox controller doesn't work well in Duke3D.
0

User is offline   Hendricks266 

  • Weaponized Autism

  #249

It will need to get fixed for the Bombshell prequel anyway.
2

User is offline   Mblackwell 

  • Evil Overlord

#250

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 14 April 2016 - 08:57 AM, said:

I may be biased, but in my opinion you can't get any more vanilla than using the music pack recorded the way it was meant to be heard. ;)


Er, while that might be nice for us fans it has nothing to do with vanilla Duke since no one was hearing the game that way when it was released, or even now without modification.

Sure, it's cool but it's not vanilla assets unless someone is duping one of the sound systems as a canvas.
And in the end the game should always be able to just load DUKE3D.GRP and go.
0

User is online   Mark 

  • Honored Donor

#251

I may be wrong but FLAC doesn't seem very popular. Are there actually any released maps, mods or TCs that include it? I haven't run across one that I know of. Only music pack add-ons.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 14 April 2016 - 05:23 PM

0

#252

I got controller input sort of working I can move around, look around and fire, but I can't switch weapons, open doors, etc. So I played through the parts I can of E3L1 and E1L1. E3L1 renders pretty well, E1L1 on the other hand does rrender pretty well, but the hidden wall rendering bug is very apparent in that map. There is even a missing wall, but I believe its related to the hidden wall detection code that i have in there not working right. Performance isn't bad for it rendering the entire map, and it being a debug build, but work is going to have to be put in to getting everything up to frame rate.



This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 14 April 2016 - 06:11 PM

4

User is offline   Hank 

#253

^ Obviously I can't help you coding (failed twice) but thanks in advance for your work. https://forums.duke4.net/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif
0

User is online   MusicallyInspired 

  • Buy Mage's Initiation!

#254

View PostMblackwell, on 14 April 2016 - 05:12 PM, said:

Er, while that might be nice for us fans it has nothing to do with vanilla Duke since no one was hearing the game that way when it was released, or even now without modification.

Sure, it's cool but it's not vanilla assets unless someone is duping one of the sound systems as a canvas.
And in the end the game should always be able to just load DUKE3D.GRP and go.


That's why I threw in the line about using High Treason's OPL music pack (Adlib FM Synth). And again, there's nothing vanilla about listening to the game MIDIs on a computer from 2016 seeing as it sounds even less like what you heard back in 1996.

As for having the game just work with the GRP file and nothing else, sure I agree with that. But it's not exactly the vanilla "experience". I see what you're saying about playing "vanilla" being just the GRP but that doesn't necessarily mean authentic. I realize they're two different things. Just saying that's all I meant.....anyway....


View PostMark., on 14 April 2016 - 05:21 PM, said:

I may be wrong but FLAC doesn't seem very popular. Are there actually any released maps, mods or TCs that include it? I haven't run across one that I know of. Only music pack add-ons.


FLAC isn't really used for sound effects. FLAC is extremely popular in music, though. It's the best way to losslessly back up your music in full quality without destroying the original audio (something OGG and MP3 do, unfortunately, that's why they're so small). For a lot of people as long as it sounds more or less the same it's good enough, but for people who can hear the difference and can't stand losing any information in the transition, FLACs are golden. It's like settling for JPEG textures in a next gen game engine. It's obviously not good enough.
0

#255

I fixed the hidden wall rendering bug.
http://s9.postimg.org/5gmp29h8r/5eb8baa2_f70f_4ee6_a265_fe969fe36aab.jpg
6

User is offline   Tea Monster 

  • Polymancer

#256

Thanks for keeping us updated like this. It's interesting to see how this progresses and what is involved. It will make a nice document when complete.

Why is the sky blue? I know it isn't rendering the skybox yet, but does it default to a blue colour from the original BUILD engine, or is that something new you set up?

If it's a new sky, is it providing any lighting information to the scene?

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 15 April 2016 - 01:41 AM

0

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

  • Glory To Motherland!

#257

View PostTea Monster, on 15 April 2016 - 01:37 AM, said:

Thanks for keeping us updated like this. It's interesting to see how this progresses and what is involved. It will make a nice document when complete.

Why is the sky blue? I know it isn't rendering the skybox yet, but does it default to a blue colour from the original BUILD engine, or is that something new you set up?

If it's a new sky, is it providing any lighting information to the scene?


Actually, I think it looks cool. It paints Hollywood Holocaust in a whole new light. I was always bothered that Duke Nukem 3D never had any "daytime" sky textures.
1

User is offline   TON 

#258

The best skybox mod I have seen for eduke32 is this by Muelsa :



This post has been edited by TON: 15 April 2016 - 06:07 AM

0

User is online   MusicallyInspired 

  • Buy Mage's Initiation!

#259

View PostInspector Lagomorf, on 15 April 2016 - 05:17 AM, said:

Actually, I think it looks cool. It paints Hollywood Holocaust in a whole new light. I was always bothered that Duke Nukem 3D never had any "daytime" sky textures.


It's not new at all. Duke64 used it first. :P
0

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

  • Glory To Motherland!

#260

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 15 April 2016 - 06:08 AM, said:

It's not new at all. Duke64 used it first. :P


Obviously it means I've never played that game, and that I am referring to the original PC version microcosm.
0

User is online   MusicallyInspired 

  • Buy Mage's Initiation!

#261

Seeing as it's just an expanded port and not its own game, I'd say it falls under that microcosm. Especially since Fox turned it into a mod for EDuke32.

Anyway, I agree with the abhorence of a lack of day sky texture in Duke3D...
0

#262

View PostTea Monster, on 15 April 2016 - 01:37 AM, said:

Why is the sky blue?

When I created the project, it came with a simple rotating cube. I have obviously removed the cube, but the clear code cleared the color buffer to "CornflowerBlue", and I just haven't changed it.
0

#263

Another Update:

  • Occlusion Culling(Only portal culling, no frustum or proper occlusion culling yet).
  • Sprites Work(some are animated, others are not).
  • More controller buttons are hooked up(main menu, opening doors, jumping, fire, switch weapons, moving, look up and down).
  • Performance(will be at framerate when culling code is complete)


In this demo I start from the main menu, adjust the music volume, play through(you will see geo popping in and out, this is the portal culling code not working right), then I die and have Jesse play through once.



This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 17 April 2016 - 05:08 PM

4

User is offline   Micky C 

  • Honored Donor

#264

Will the new renderer handle TROR as well as polymer?
0

#265

View PostMicky C, on 17 April 2016 - 05:30 PM, said:

Will the new renderer handle TROR as well as polymer?

Yes
3

#266

Admin's please close this topic. I will be making a new topic shortly.
0

Share this topic:


  • 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked


All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options