Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] DECAY - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] DECAY  "Over a decade later... the dead will walk the earth."

User is offline   Usurper 

• Hates Twitter

Nice work. I had to turn the settings down a lot to get it to run on my computer, but it was quite good. I played a good chunk of the first level before getting clobbered. Very impressive attention to scale,

User is online   Mark 

I'm glad you like it so far. In case you missed the instructions, you can bind the backspace key, if its not already, to enable a "hack" which turns off Polymer lights not near the player. It might help your framerate.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 19 December 2015 - 05:29 PM

User is offline   lamduck 

Having a blast playing this, it has excellent gameplay, models and environment!

One tip I can provide is to try to use adaptive vsync in the Video options, that has helped my frame rate extremely well with little or no tearing. I went from lows in 30s in a crowd to occasional 45, almost always 60 fps. I'm using a GTX780, so my system has some horsepower adaptive vsync allows it to push.

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 11 December 2016 - 06:26 AM

User is online   Mark 

I'm not a fan of bobbing at all. It would be nice to be able turn it off. When you updated to a 32 bit Eduke did you use something newer than 5293 like in the project? The reason I ask is if you used something newer you may see a glitch or 2. One of them is in the first map if you are standing in the alley behind the post office and look up sometimes the inside of the post office warehouse becomes visible. This was due to the interior having a higher ceiling than the roof outside. Anything after version 5293 shows the glitch, anything before that does not.

The mod is amazing, I played it to the end quickly because it was addictive ;-)

The mod is extremely well done, and these small issues did not affect my fun at all, and I would prefer to play it now rather than wait a month or something to iron out these creases. Some constructive feedback on the mod, I only noticed the occasional issue, like:

Some explosions seemed to not have a sound, like when you blow open a wall.

The player does not show the pipe in the reflection in the mirror, while other weapons did show.

It would be nice to have an ending level screen with number of zombies killed and secrets found.

Play the whole rocking song in the club, the sample could be longer ;-)

User is online   Mark 

The pipe weapon was added years after the player model was made so thats why it wasn't included.

I kept the song small and looping because the project was way bigger in size than the final release. We had to downsize many things to make sure everyone with new or older computers could handle it.

Since one level starts exactly where the previous level left off it was decided to make it a smooth transition from one level to the next and that screen with level stats would have been an interruption. But I can see your point about wondering if you found all rooms and killed everything.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 21 December 2015 - 12:51 PM

View PostMark., on 21 December 2015 - 12:45 PM, said:

The pipe weapon was added years after the player model was made so thats why it wasn't included.

I kept the song small and looping because the project was way bigger in size than the final release. We had to downsize many things to make sure everyone with new or older computers could handle it.

Since one level starts exactly where the previous level left off it was decided to make it a smooth transition from one level to the next and that screen with level stats would have been an interruption. But I can see your point about wondering if you found all rooms and killed everything.

Makes sense, I was mostly joking about the song loop, but it is a killer riff! Maybe you could have a total at the very end or something with zombies and secret count, if not no big deal. I hope there is a Decay 2 or something similar in the works, you have some really good assets there, with some new maps a sequel would be great.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMark., on 21 December 2015 - 12:45 PM, said:

During level-fadeout a message with the stats could be displayed.

User is online   Mark 

BTW, since he doesn't post much and is too humble to mention how much he contributed to the Decay project I want to publicly thank Chicken for all he did. Not only did he create a lot of zombie and prop models and skins but he provided a bunch of textures, did much of the fat trimming and cleanup to bring the project down to size, offered many useful mapping ideas, play-tested the hell out of the maps to point out my many mistakes. Thanks old buddy. I just wanted to bring you out of the shadows. :(

He has helped me in the past with my Graveyard mod and is in the process of helping our team with a few other upcoming projects. A good solid team guy. :) :thumbsup: Stand up, take a bow.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 21 December 2015 - 01:41 PM

User is offline   chicken 

• Fashionable Modeler

Why thank you!
But you forgot overdefing existing assets. Posted Image

It's been a lot of fun making this happen with you guys and i'm proud of our baby boy.
But during the upcoming weeks i'm probably not going to do anything zombie-related.

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 11 December 2016 - 06:27 AM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

View PostLeoD, on 21 December 2015 - 01:12 PM, said:

During level-fadeout a message with the stats could be displayed.

Stats are soooo D3D.

View PostFistMarine, on 22 December 2015 - 01:22 AM, said:

Yes, I have EDuke32 version r5474. And I would like to know how to disable bobbing because I'm not going to play the mod again unless the bobbing gets fixed. Yesterday I had a big headache and I blame this mod for it, sorry about that but I don't want to have another headache today. :thumbsup:

Bobbing isn't broken, so it won't get "fixed". It shouldn't give you a headache or motion sickness either since the focal point doesn't move much, but I understand that it might! Some people are very sensitive to motion. We tried to make sure it's mostly the same as other modern games. To remove it comment out line 5496-5499 (re-enable the parts that don't bother you, they are clearly named) in "game.con". Keep in mind you'll have to start from the beginning for the changes to take affect. Since there's no UI in the game there's not a good way to handle it, since the game tackles multiple different kinds of head and weapon movement, and everyone has a different perception. But I hope that helps you personally, since I'd like for you to be able to play the mod!

edit

• Evil Overlord

Sorry it had to happen to you. :thumbsup: But commenting those lines should get rid of it entirely (including leaning when strafing, and the lag from the gun while turning).

edit

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFistMarine, on 23 December 2015 - 05:37 AM, said:

Out of memory in ???:0 (???)

This error means what it says: you ran out of memory and a malloc() call failed. If you use a debug build, the error will say where the failed call took place. The only advice I can think of to prevent the error is to increase the size of your page file.

• Evil Overlord

The game definitely requires 4GB of RAM for your system. It will allocate around 2.5GB for itself while playing. Originally it took closer to 3.5GB but we managed to trim it over the month before release.

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 11 December 2016 - 06:28 AM

User is online   Mark 

I have a comp with 4GB but Vista allocates only 3.25GB for the user. After windows and everything else loads I'm left with just over 2GB to play.

I was running out of memory also. My page file was already at 2GB and increasing it didn't keep the memory crash from happening. So that was the main reason for downsizing a lot of assets. After building I couldn't properly test more than a map or 2 before crashing. Same thing in Mapster32. If I ran too long without shutting down and restarting I would run out of memory as I scrolled through all the tiles.

• Evil Overlord

So there you go, try increasing your pagefile to 2GB to compensate.

edit

• Evil Overlord

Yeah level 2 is fairly easy as long as you remember the rule I put in the readme about running away!

edit

User is online   Mark 

Wow, thats an odd one. That zombie is supposed to stay sitting in the burning car. Its never moved before in everyone else's testing and playing. So if its a one time event we'll ignore it. If it happens more often I'll mess with it.

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 11 December 2016 - 06:29 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostFistMarine, on 29 December 2015 - 01:58 AM, said:

The lamp seems to stay in mid-air, just like the zombie in the screenshot I posted yesterday.
The lamp stands on a box actually. Both 'glitches' show up for you because you're using the Polymost renderer. Decay is made for Polymer.

decay\README.txt said:

REQUIREMENTS
[...]
* Polymer renderer

I have no idea though how these very display thingies can happen technically.

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 11 December 2016 - 06:29 AM

• Evil Overlord

The entire mod is built for Polymer including the way it's lit! I'm surprised you could see anything!

There's a built in function you can bind in the control settings that doubles the frame rate (in some scenes) by turning off any unseen lights over a certain distance away. So with that turned on the game shouldn't be too heavy.

User is online   Mark 

I was playing one of the maps and in a secret room I ran into a zombie that hit the light of the flames just right to really exaggerate the ( normal mapped ) texture of the skin.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: ZOMBIEFX.png

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options