• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I have an OCD quirk where I have to find every secret. (Which I have been accomplishing.) The jumping puzzles aren't terrible but I do feel like Shelly doesn't jump high enough or have enough hang time. The jump feels so modern to me, short and quick. It's a minor complaint I guess.

User is offline   t800 

Could somebody do favor for Mac users and compile new synthesis build of Eduke32? One from Dukeworld does not recognize Fury.grp. :-\

EDIT: Made it work, but had to provide Fury.def and Fury.grpinfo files too. After launch you get black screen, so you have to spam enter to get right into start of new game. After that menu works correctly but it has few graphical glitches such as wrong offset of Shelly picture in difficulty selection and main menu need to be scrolled to get to bottom of it.
Will keep you updated after first impressions.

This post has been edited by t800: 16 August 2019 - 09:36 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

played it and beat it, fantastic job (though I hated the end fight)

in the middle of secret finding and I'm not sure if I've bugged out or something, but I'm in the ground floor of the big tower and I've looked everywhere but 2 secrets are missing. I've even cracked it open in mapster and looked for the sectors and sprites rigged to secrets but I've already found everything.

EDIT: n/m, not a bug!

This post has been edited by Jblade: 16 August 2019 - 10:42 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostBlitZ, on 16 August 2019 - 09:21 AM, said:

I have an OCD quirk where I have to find every secret. (Which I have been accomplishing.) The jumping puzzles aren't terrible but I do feel like Shelly doesn't jump high enough or have enough hang time. The jump feels so modern to me, short and quick. It's a minor complaint I guess.

I think that's part of it, yeah. A huge part of why Blood has the best jumping mechanics from all the Build games is that jumping is very floaty there and since Build gives you a lot of air control you can correct your mistakes mid air.

That being said I absolutely adore how movement feels in IF: it's nice, fast and grounded, basically like Duke 3D but more polished and I guess how jumping behaves is part of that. It would be sad to see it go but I remember a Duke 3D mod I played (I think it was Duke Plus) that had a pretty cool mantling mechanic. Maybe that could help in the platforming at some parts? It just shouldn't be automatic like it is in Doom 2016 but work kind of like grabbing in the classic Prince of Persia games where you had to hold Shift for the character to grab a ledge.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 16 August 2019 - 11:03 AM

User is offline   Shaq Fu 

Posted Image

SIGNATURE CHICKEN
Our chicken is marinated for at least 12 hours and bursting with bold Louisiana flavor.

User is offline   Echelon5 

I was hoping for more inventory items. You know, stuff you carry and get to use yourself. Duke 3D had the medkit, goggles, jetpack, steroids, holoduke, etc. They weren't ALWAYS useful, but it was nice to have the options, and gave the player more methods of expression. IF has the radar and medkits. The jump boots and suit felt more like Doom powerups, and I never really found a use for the jump boots.

User is offline   mwnn 

Generally not a fan of jumping puzzles in sprite based fps games - especially if it involves making numerous perilous jumps on "flat" wires and vents.
Plus you can't see your own feet.

Spoiler

I mainly want the ammo carrying capacity raised up a bit - Duke can carry hundreds of bullets by comparison.
Am I the only one who feels the explosive pucks are pretty much redundant - already have the superior bowling bombs which track opponents.
I'd swap that out for something better. Doom has the BFG, plasma gun and rocket launcher. Duke3D has the RPG, Devastator, etc. Blood gets a bunch of crazy stuff.
Here we get an explosive puck which can be thrown about 3 feet :dukecigar:

This post has been edited by mwnn: 16 August 2019 - 11:58 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

I believe this should work against eduke32 and produce a fury.exe that should match the retail:

make APPNAME="'Ion Fury'" APPBASENAME="fury" STANDALONE=1 POLYMER=0 USE_LIBVPX=0 NETCODE=0 SIMPLE_MENU=1 obj=obj/im fury.exe

Someone who knows more from the team can correct this one.

User is offline   Master O 

View Postoasiz, on 16 August 2019 - 08:10 AM, said:

It's just not really doable as easily.
Everybody took the basis of build and made it their own. There is just way too much overlap and to do this properly you'd have to do a lot of reworking to get things abstracted to a point where each game can call a common safe method to handle a certain task rather than using it's own hacks :dukecigar:
Doom engine was still a bit simpler and people built on top of DOOM but with build only very few built on top of duke3d itself.

That's why it's called the "build engine" and not "duke nukem engine" in proper text.

Where Doom games are a dialect, build games might all still share the same alphabet but the language is completely different.

Does that mean for VoidSW, it will also be similarly standalone from mainline Eduke32?

User is offline   t800 

Finished first episode. Nice. So far, very good impressions. Framerate seems stable even in hectic situations.
Odd, that developers decided not to officially support MacOS at launch date, because latest Eduke32 synthesis build for it, apart from few minor bugs seem to run rock solid. I hope I wont regret this, but I am going to try to beat whole game in it.
Anyways, regarding first episode. First strongest impressions were very vivid color palette and atmospheric DeusEx/Unreal styled soundtrack. Second impression - very fluid and responsive controls and gameplay mechanics and one of the best spriteworks (and voxelworks ;-) ) I have ever seen in FPS game.

User is offline   malvado 

Ah man when that drum n bass tune kicked in on that one level. So good! Really liking this game a lot :dukecigar:

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

I used to avoid this thread and I've downloaded+played the IM/IF preview no sooner than the day before release. I was not impressed. After a couple of hours with the 1.0 version, I'm happy to say: "They've nailed it!"
That's how a new Build game should be in any aspect. Definitely worth my bucks and I hope it sells enough to keep 'em going. Despite being a huge Polymer/HRP apologist, I don't miss anything while playing IF. :dukecigar:
Now I only wish that BillyBoy was still around to user-map for this...

[EDIT:] eduke32-IF-win64-r8036-20190816.7z

This post has been edited by LeoD: 16 August 2019 - 04:07 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Ion Fury subforum when?

User is offline   Hank 

View PostBlitZ, on 16 August 2019 - 05:06 PM, said:

Ion Fury subforum when?

What for?
I’ve got the game via 3DShits website. No mapping tools, what so ever.
Steam? Who knows, Maybe. Should I get it via Steam? Sure, I’ve got the cash. Will I? Fuck no!
Die 3DWhatever. I’ll buy you a great Grave Stone = Rest in peace, you, useless piece of shit.

Thank you TerminX with master 0.39/0.4. Your work helped me to overcome my dangerous/destructive Coke addiction, using your Mapster to distract from my addiction.
Live long and prosper, and your team. Ion Maiden/Fury, rocks. Hopefully you can make a living from your hard-earned work, now and in the future.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Dude it sounds like you relapsed on that post lmao

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Cocaine's a helluva drug.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

View PostHank, on 16 August 2019 - 08:28 PM, said:

What for?
I’ve got the game via 3DShits website. No mapping tools, what so ever.
Steam? Who knows, Maybe. Should I get it via Steam? Sure, I’ve got the cash. Will I? Fuck no!
Die 3DWhatever. I’ll buy you a great Grave Stone = Rest in peace, you, useless piece of shit.

Thank you TerminX with master 0.39/0.4. Your work helped me to overcome my dangerous/destructive Coke addiction, using your Mapster to distract from my addiction.
Live long and prosper, and your team. Ion Maiden/Fury, rocks. Hopefully you can make a living from your hard-earned work, now and in the future.

Editor is here:

http://voidpoint.com...tor_20190815.7z

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Let's hope the game sells well so DavoX doesn't depend on selling meats in cyberpunk cities any more.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 16 August 2019 - 10:47 PM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Posted Image
Posted Image

Slightly outdated but I will work on the documentation now.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

View Postt800, on 16 August 2019 - 02:40 PM, said:

Finished first episode. Nice. So far, very good impressions. Framerate seems stable even in hectic situations.
Odd, that developers decided not to officially support MacOS at launch date, because latest Eduke32 synthesis build for it, apart from few minor bugs seem to run rock solid. I hope I wont regret this, but I am going to try to beat whole game in it.
Anyways, regarding first episode. First strongest impressions were very vivid color palette and atmospheric DeusEx/Unreal styled soundtrack. Second impression - very fluid and responsive controls and gameplay mechanics and one of the best spriteworks (and voxelworks ;-) ) I have ever seen in FPS game.

Your game might crash under the heavier segments as any explosion will leave a bunch of invisible scraps behind, which will not get cleaned up

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Anyone else have an issue with the target practice area on the "Alphabet soup" level with one of the targets not registering as hit?

I always end up with 30 Targets down and 1 Left.

I only bring this up cause I don't know if there's a secret or not.

User is offline   Jblade 

holy shit, just found a great easter egg:
Spoiler

fucking sweet :dukecigar:

User is offline   t800 

View Postoasiz, on 17 August 2019 - 01:02 AM, said:

Your game might crash under the heavier segments as any explosion will leave a bunch of invisible scraps behind, which will not get cleaned up

Well, thanks for warning I guess. But I wont stop now after all.
Still, would not mind if some helpful soul would compile Ion Fury specific build of Eduke32 for MacOS. :lol:

BTW I think Civvie got it pretty straight, it is sorta like 2.5D Sin. (Mostly humanoid enemies, headshot system-keeping even pistol useful, urban/industrial enviroments, protagonist with attitude.) Much better at that I must add. :dukecigar:

This post has been edited by t800: 17 August 2019 - 02:33 AM

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Gotta say I found the voice lines endearing in a sort of silly way. I didn't get the humor at first and thought the game needed a more badass protagonist, but the humor works. Even that Offspring line that someone complained about made me laugh cause it's so random. People need to lighten up about that stuff.

What's all this BS I've been hearing about TX and other devs being transphobic and then being shamed into apologizing?

Tell me you guys didn't pussy out that easily and apologize.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

This is what we used to call "a tempest in a teapot". Don't forget to leave a positive review of this awesome game on steam, if you can.

That's like me throwing a single on a stripper being showered by 100s.
Posted Image

But still apologizing was a bitch move, give em an inch and they'll take a mile.
Worst than that I hear that 3DR may release a statement on it?

DON'T DO THAT!!!

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Sounds like the game is exactly opposite of being leftists propaganda after all, if it wasn't obvious before, it surely is now.

3DR isn't really professional company anyway, so it's expected from them to apologize for some bs nonsense instead of just ignoring some random morons spewing crap on the internet (that never had intentions to buy this game to begin with), something professional businessmen usually do. I mean, did they apologize to other cunts that bitched about the game being political?

Also, hopefully 3DR won't force the devs to alter something or just remove in IF, I don't really want to support 3DR that much anymore for various reasons (and if I could I'd just give my money to Voidpoint itself for the game), but a move like that would put them in my blacklist for sure.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 17 August 2019 - 05:29 AM

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View PostxMobilemux, on 17 August 2019 - 03:52 AM, said:

What's all this BS I've been hearing about TX and other devs being transphobic and then being shamed into apologizing?

I just came here for asking about the same thing after seeing this. Whats going on? Would't this put u guys into more trouble?

User is offline   SonicB00M 

So first the devs were accused of being 'sjws pussies' and now they're being accused of being transphobic. The world has truly gone mad.

Share this topic:

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options