• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

That reminded me of this video:

User is offline   Hank 

This is just a friendly reminder, that the update (Heskel's House) found on Steam, is not yet found on 3D Realms' website.

This post has been edited by Hank: 22 January 2019 - 09:14 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Man, seeing the tagline from the DNF "announcement" trailer brought back so many bad memories. :)

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 22 January 2019 - 09:53 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Man I can't wait to play it.

Is Ion Maiden going to come out on MacOS before release?

User is offline   axl 

Man, this is awesome !

User is offline   Sanek 

Looks like a mansion-themed maps for Blood...which fits IM quite all right!

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostHank, on 22 January 2019 - 09:13 PM, said:

This is just a friendly reminder, that the update (Heskel's House) found on Steam, is not yet found on 3D Realms' website.

Or GOG.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I am really hoping for IM giving some impulses to the modding scene after release. We will hopefully see many veteran mappers return (and new ones emerge) to provide new maps and other custom game content.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 23 January 2019 - 05:23 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I used to think that would happen with other releases like Dukeplus, WGR, HHR, Duke Forces, etc... A few at first then nothing. I hoped someone would use Graveyard or Decay to try and make even better maps than I did. but no.

This post has been edited by Mark: 23 January 2019 - 06:10 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, but those are still all Duke-based. This is a new game. Entirely new texture set, entirely new enemy AI, palette, etc. It has the potential to get a bigger response in the mapping area.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 23 January 2019 - 07:13 AM

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 23 January 2019 - 07:13 AM, said:

Yeah, but those are still all Duke-based. This is a new game. Entirely new texture set, entirely new enemy AI, palette, etc. It has the potential to get a bigger response in the mapping area.

Even then, the release of Megaton Edition seems to have pulled some new blood into mapping. Shame it was killed the way it was.

OnT: The new map is amazing - didn't have the time to properly finish it yesterday but what I played was really cool (as expected).

User is offline   axl 

Just finished the map... didn't have the time this morning. Excellent design and amazing spritework.

Moreover performance was excellent. Played at 144 fps and performance never dropped...

User is offline   NNC 

Yay, new IM level. It was great, especially with the new weapons/monsters. Loved the architecture as well, reminded me a bit of Blood's Overlooked Hotel. It wasn't really a horror level though, but more like an action level. It was much more difficult than the preview campaign too.

Will it be part of the final release or not? Or will it be a longer mission? I thought it was pretty short for it's own zone (out of the 7 I guess).

I haven't checked but are these new monsters added to the Queen of the Hill game?

And of course the autistic question. Who designed this map? Oasiz?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostNancsi, on 23 January 2019 - 09:45 AM, said:

Will it be part of the final release or not? Or will it be a longer mission? I thought it was pretty short for it's own zone (out of the 7 I guess).

The map provided is one piece of one zone, with some tweaks so it stands alone.

And of course the autistic question. Who designed this map? Oasiz?

Basic blockout was by Vitaliy (DNV) before he had to leave the team, and since then it has been handled by Corentin (MetHy).

User is offline   NNC 

Thanks. So had all of Vitaly's work been exposed? I mean the basement in the preview and the basics of this? It's sad he had to leave.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 23 January 2019 - 09:57 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

He has some really nice stuff, yeah. You haven't seen the last of it yet, don't worry :)
Although I have to add that the map in this case did receive quite a bit of work after they got handed over, What you see in HHH was about a bit over halfway done. Usually polishing things to be playable/nice takes a ton of extra time. Both Methy and DNV did a stellar job!

I had a direct hand in the jukebox/bowling parts only, along with some work on the skybox as you go down the elevator, maybe some other misc things too as I tend to jump around as an effects consultant. Bowling alley was actually done in 2015 already but never used until now.
Plus any feedback along the way.

My map in preview was the office sections (everything after blue key-lock until level change), you will know the rest when you see it. Silly amounts of SOS is usually a good tell :lol:

I do have a part elsewhere too and I tend to go and change/tweak few odd things here and there across maps when needed.
Again, a lot of effect rigging / prototyping / feedback as I have a kind of a "lead" role.

• Honored Donor

View PostMark, on 23 January 2019 - 06:07 AM, said:

I used to think that would happen with other releases like Dukeplus, WGR, HHR, Duke Forces, etc... A few at first then nothing. I hoped someone would use Graveyard or Decay to try and make even better maps than I did. but no.

Ion Maiden has been designed from the ground-up to be modded, and you can pull off some incredibly sophisticated effects without any new coding.

It also has a very extensible and versatile tile set which allows for a large variety of environments to be created, and the many alt pals enhance this further.

What can you build with WGR2? Some medieval stuff? A bit of natural terrain? It’s a drop in the ocean compared to the number of environments you can do in Ion Maiden. I once tried building a map for Duke Forces (an outdoor one), and I very quickly realised that the tile set was nowhere near sufficient to do what I wanted.
The high-red projects you mentioned wouldn’t have done much for mapping as the textures are not as general-purpose as low-res counterparts. Grass can only be grass as opposed to green carpet etc.

User is online   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Yeah, completely different things. A new game versus mods. It would be really cool to have some enemies from AA by Sebabduke20 for example in an Ion Maiden mod in the near future though.

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 23 January 2019 - 03:12 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I guess I should clarify. I'n not saying that a whole community of mappers from around the world are going to be flooding the servers with new maps for those old TCs/mods. But the almost total lack of people interested in mapping for those projects gives me the impression that there is a chance of the same thing with IM. For the reason you gave about IM designed to be mapper friendly we hopefully see more than we did with past projects. I remain skeptical of it opening a whole new realm of mappers. I hope I'm wrong. I haven't seen the maps or texture sets yet so I don't have an opinion on how versatile and varied they are.

This post has been edited by Mark: 23 January 2019 - 03:28 PM

• Honored Donor

Nobody knows whether or not a large number of mappers will jump on board. I probably won't myself. Another thing to consider is that Ion Maiden has extremely high visibility in the wider gaming community. Furthermore, this visibility is prominent in the field of 90's FPS throwbacks, which are exactly the kind of people who would want to come back and try their hand at mapping. I'd say overall the more oldschool TCs like WGRealms 2, the AMC TC and DNF 2013 didn't too bad in terms of drawing in new mappers to map for them.

Finally, I'm sure Ion Maiden will have excellent documentation, both in terms of manuals and in-game help.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Heskel completed
killed everything & 6/8 secrets

there are a few minor decoration issues - like floating bloody footprints and some faux deco long black and steel window on the wall, opposite the posters, & next to the very first elevator at the beginning of the map that clipped in and out of the wall.

Nice lighting/shading and decoration. Good texture set. Well constructed and a smooth, logical layout. Somebody likes sos/ror.

I understand it's a show-piece for more weapons and enemy demonstrations, but the amount of firepower (ammo) was a bit over the top. Not difficult or challenging, but still enjoyable enough.

User is offline   NNC 

I'm just wondering how Ion Maiden art would meld in a Duke 3D map (or vice versa for that matter). I can see some posters or textures would fit in well with the Duke atmosphere, particularly from the subway map.

User is online   Jblade 

Really love the new content (the usable jukebox was awesome) and the new weapon fire modes are excellent - one question about the map though, it looks like it's using TROR for stuff like the exterior - does this mean you guys fixed the problems with polymost mode, or is it something else?

This post has been edited by Jblade: 23 January 2019 - 11:51 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

There is a bit of TRoR in the map (the fireplace near the blue key, and another one that's hardly worth mentionning) but everything else that looks like TRoR is IM's skybox system, the same one you could find in some places in the Preview Campaign and which was explained in The 1st dev blog entry.

View PostForge, on 23 January 2019 - 08:30 PM, said:

Somebody likes sos/ror.

SoS is a love/hate relationship. Mostly you love the stuff but you hate yourself for wanting to work with it.

And of course the autistic question. Who designed this map?

It's a tough situation where, even for some of the devs, it's become impossible to tell who between Vita and I did what in some places. I'm not sure everybody would be able to be in this situation as it demands to park your ego.
Since I'm sure Vita would hate to see people think I'm to be given credit for something he did, and vice versa, I wish I could provide a thorough answer someday... but even then it's not that simple.
All I can say for now is that there are varying degrees of my involvement depending on what you're talking about in the map, but I've been involved in everything if only at least for a little bit, even regarding the basic layout and progression that I changed, or the basic architecture that I made wider and bigger in most indoor places. The exceptions being the things Oasiz mentionned (anything above the glass in the small skybox at the end and the jukebox which is all his, as well as the bowling alley that I took from an old concept map of his and that I rigged).

So in short, if you thought it was complicated to tell who did what in the Preview Campaign, it's even more complicated here. The lesson is that in a commercial game credit isn't as simple as in a map, in fact, I believe there are many things we don't know about in other Build games that we'd tend to attribute to some specific mappers.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 24 January 2019 - 01:37 AM

User is offline   NNC 

View PostMetHy, on 23 January 2019 - 11:59 PM, said:

There is a bit of TRoR in the map (the fireplace near the blue key, and another one that's hardly worth mentionning) but everything else that looks like TRoR is IM's skybox system, the same one you could find in some places in the Preview Campaign and which was explained in The 1st dev blog entry.

SoS is a love/hate relationship. Mostly you love the stuff but you hate yourself for wanting to work with it.

It's a tough situation where, even for some of the devs, it's become impossible to tell who between Vita and I did what in some places. I'm not sure everybody would be able to be in this situation as it demands to park your ego.
Since I'm sure Vita would hate to see people think I'm to be given credit for something he did, and vice versa, I wish I could provide a thorough answer someday... but even then it's not that simple.
All I can say for now is that there are varying degrees of my involvement depending on what you're talking about in the map, but I've been involved in everything if only at least for a little bit, even regarding the basic layout and progression that I changed, or the basic architecture that I made wider and bigger in most indoor places. The exceptions being the things Oasiz mentionned (anything above the glass in the small skybox at the end and the jukebox which is all his, as well as the bowling alley that I took from an old concept map of his and that I rigged).

So in short, if you thought it was complicated to tell who did what in the Preview Campaign, it's even more complicated here. The lesson is that in a commercial game credit isn't as simple as in a map, in fact, I believe there are many things we don't know about in other Build games that we'd tend to attribute to some specific mappers.

No, it wasn't complicated at all in the preview. Everybody did their segment in their own style. It was a bit tricky here, because 2 of you were working on it. I think you two will be credited like Tom Hall and Sandy Petersen, as one started, and one finished it.

I still hope we can see some distinct segments of mappers in the final game, like in the Preview. Using ideas from others like a small bowling area is fine, but sizable segments should keep their distinct style.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 24 January 2019 - 05:24 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

There are whole distinct maps by mappers. DNV's stuff is more of an exception due to not being done. Credits can get more complicated and maybe later we can go through this stuff in more detail.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostJblade, on 23 January 2019 - 11:51 PM, said:

the new weapon fire modes are excellent

there's one thing I didn't quite figure out.
holding the alt-weapon mode key while using the loverboy pistol
Shelly puts her hand on the hammer like she's going to go old-school western 6-shooter with it, but I never could get it to fire.
also:
Could have been me because holding that key while walking around is a bit awkward, but the movement seemed a bit sluggish or slowed down.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Hold, aim to lock-on, release.

User is offline   Master O 

View PostZaxx, on 22 January 2019 - 09:53 PM, said:

Man, seeing the tagline from the DNF "announcement" trailer brought back so many bad memories. :)

So you're saying you want this to be called "Ion Maiden Forever"? :lol:

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMaster O, on 24 January 2019 - 10:56 AM, said:

So you're saying you want this to be called "Ion Maiden Forever"? :)

No but I'm hoping for a secret boss called Duke Nukem Forever. It's going to be a twisted, perverted version of Duke voiced by a drunk Jon St. John, he'll throw his own shit at you as a ranged attack and piss on you for melee but he won't be a tough opponent because in the middle of the fight he'll just bug out and commit suicide.

It's gonna be like Robocop 2 in Robocop 2:

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 24 January 2019 - 01:01 PM

Share this topic:

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options