• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostSledgehammer, on 21 October 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

Can't wait for December to finally try it out, though I'm a bit "triggered" by early access despite fully trusting you.

Early access was worth it. Just don't get it through the 3dr site. Their customer service and keeping the community updated & informed is non-existent.
I doubt we'll get the last patch though them, so queen of the hill mode is still unplayable.
Pretty much resolved myself to wait for the final release to play it. (two weeks after it's already been out on steam)

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Ion Maiden coming to the Switch (and the other consoles which is cool too, I guess)! Nice one, guys!!

Posted Image

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 23 October 2018 - 08:50 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostSonicB00M, on 23 October 2018 - 06:46 AM, said:

So Ion Maiden for PS4, XBox One and Switch was just announced for Q2 2019. Will the PC version hit simultaneously or is it coming sooner?

next time include a fancy picture attachment for upvotes

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostPhredreeke, on 21 October 2018 - 11:50 AM, said:

If by 86x compatibility you mean a 32-bit version then that has been brought up a number of times on Discord. It's unlikely that a 32-bit system would run the game with acceptable performance.

Poor performance isn't inherent to 32-bit processors. Before any of our GL performance work the doubled register count of x64 may have been important (and it still is for Polymer), but it's more likely that that 32-bit devices happen to not be powerful enough, or come with graphics hardware that isn't powerful enough. Hopefully our remaining work should fix this. We also experience strange rendering bugs (potentially compiler bugs) in 32-bit that we need to resolve or work around before we can declare 32-bit stable.

View PostPhredreeke, on 21 October 2018 - 05:04 PM, said:

based on testing the game on my gpd win

Is this running the beta Update 3 branch available on Steam? If not I'd like to see how that does.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostForge, on 23 October 2018 - 09:59 AM, said:

next time include a fancy picture attachment for upvotes

I have the fanciest picture:
Posted Image
Anyway it's really good news but I'm especially happy for the Switch release. Indie titles like this can do tremendously well in Nintendo's store.

Here is the trailer.

I guess this means EDuke32 has been ported to all those platforms. The XBox port has to include XInput support presumably. I'd love to see sane defaults for XBox controllers on the PC version with one is detected. I've still never managed to get EDuke32 working well with my XBox controller. I saw someone suggest in another game's forums that when you're using a particularly high DPI mouse and SDL_Input, that it messes with axis sensitivity on joysticks.

User is online   Phredreeke 

View PostHendricks266, on 23 October 2018 - 10:14 AM, said:

Poor performance isn't inherent to 32-bit processors. Before any of our GL performance work the doubled register count of x64 may have been important (and it still is for Polymer), but it's more likely that that 32-bit devices happen to not be powerful enough

Exactly. It's not as much 32-bit vs. 64-bit as a ten year old Core Duo vs ten years of CPUs that followed.

Is this running the beta Update 3 branch available on Steam? If not I'd like to see how that does.

It's Update 3 RC4.

User is offline   Newken 

Dumbed down for consoles? I hope not. :rolleyes:

User is online   Phredreeke 

Nah, Voidpoint isn't going DNF on us lol

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Is this true?
3D Realms is working on a new first person shooter that will be powered by the Quake Engine
Can't find another source on this, hence the question. Was hoping for another Build game or some other retro thing that's not an FPS. But hey, at least we'll have strafe jumping.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 23 October 2018 - 11:23 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

It's true.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Beyond hyped for a Switch version! Will be picking that up as soon as it's available.

View PostZaxx, on 23 October 2018 - 11:23 AM, said:

Is this true? Can't find another source on this, hence the question. Was hoping for another Build game or some other retro thing that's not an FPS. But hey, at least we'll have strafe jumping.

Yes, but it doesn't say that Voidpoint are working on a Quake shooter, just that 3D Realms and 1C are collaborating on one.

Both companies will also collaborate on a new unannounced FPS based on the original Quake engine coming to all the same platforms as Ion Maiden.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 23 October 2018 - 11:26 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

View PostNewken, on 23 October 2018 - 11:04 AM, said:

Dumbed down for consoles? I hope not. :P

What does that even mean? :rolleyes:

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostHendricks266, on 23 October 2018 - 11:25 AM, said:

It's true.

And by "Quake engine" they mean Q1? I find that pretty weird, if I were to make a retro 3D shooter that feels like Quake I'd sure as shit go for the Quake 3 engine instead.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 23 October 2018 - 11:30 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostNewken, on 23 October 2018 - 11:04 AM, said:

Dumbed down for consoles? I hope not. :rolleyes:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkk no.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

We do however sympathize with keyboard-only geezers, even before we knew about this.
Extra care is taken to place buttons and such at heights where you can actually use them instead of being just a few units off :rolleyes:

Actually we wrote a special m32 script where a mapper can point to a switch and it fixes the Z in case it's off, keep em nice and compliant!

View PostZaxx, on 23 October 2018 - 11:29 AM, said:

And by "Quake engine" they mean Q1? I find that pretty weird, if I were to make a retro 3D shooter that feels like Quake I'd sure as shit go for the Quake 3 engine instead.

Some of the Quake source ports are very advanced (in much the same way that EDuke32 is advanced compared to the original Build engine).

And I don't say this to try and slam EDuke32 on its own forums, but the Quake source ports are arguably even more advanced. I should record a video of my Quake 1 install.

https://icculus.org/...ght/darkplaces/

This post has been edited by enderandrew: 23 October 2018 - 12:09 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I just realized...does this mean we technically have an EDuke32 Switch port? :rolleyes:

Poor performance isn't inherent to 32-bit processors. Before any of our GL performance work the doubled register count of x64 may have been important (and it still is for Polymer), but it's more likely that that 32-bit devices happen to not be powerful enough, or come with graphics hardware that isn't powerful enough. Hopefully our remaining work should fix this. We also experience strange rendering bugs (potentially compiler bugs) in 32-bit that we need to resolve or work around before we can declare 32-bit stable.Is this running the beta Update 3 branch available on Steam? If not I'd like to see how that does.

inb4 "32-bit is the new 16-bit." lol

View PostZaxx, on 23 October 2018 - 11:29 AM, said:

Low-poly is in right now.

View Postoasiz, on 23 October 2018 - 12:00 PM, said:

We do however sympathize with keyboard-only geezers, even before we knew about this.Extra care is taken to place buttons and such at heights where you can actually use them instead of being just a few units off ;)Actually we wrote a special m32 script where a mapper can point to a switch and it fixes the Z in case it's off, keep em nice and compliant!

Mapster32 map editor for Ion Maiden on Switch confirmed???

/s

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Hyped for Switch release

Congratulations Voidpoint!

User is offline   Mark 

View Postoasiz, on 23 October 2018 - 12:00 PM, said:

Actually we wrote a special m32 script where a mapper can point to a switch and it fixes the Z in case it's off, keep em nice and compliant!

I sure could have used that years ago. Other mappers too probably.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

View PostMark, on 23 October 2018 - 02:38 PM, said:

I sure could have used that years ago. Other mappers too probably.

it's a mapster32 script, the ability to use scripts has been there for a long time.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostDavoX, on 23 October 2018 - 02:49 PM, said:

it's a mapster32 script, the ability to use scripts has been there for a long time.

the ability to be smart enough to know how to use mapster32 scripts hasn't.
just sayin'

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostForge, on 23 October 2018 - 02:58 PM, said:

the ability to be smart enough to know how to use mapster32 scripts hasn't.
just sayin'

Some of the devs, such as Hendricks have been willing to write the occasional script for others, for example in special situations where a short script can save countless hours of work. I doubt they'd be willing to put in a bunch of smaller features, which lends itself to potential feature-creep, although there is the a.m32.

Anyone familiar with con coding should be able to write mapster scripts with relative ease. Even I, with zero con coding knowledge, am able to write simple one-liners that change sprite, sector or wall attributes en masse based on certain conditions, which can be incredibly useful.

Edit: The "console reveal" trailer is more or less identical to the reveal trailer? That's a bit lame.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 23 October 2018 - 03:41 PM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

View PostMicky C, on 23 October 2018 - 03:39 PM, said:

Some of the devs, such as Hendricks have been willing to write the occasional script for others, for example in special situations where a short script can save countless hours of work. I doubt they'd be willing to put in a bunch of smaller features, which lends itself to potential feature-creep, although there is the a.m32.

Anyone familiar with con coding should be able to write mapster scripts with relative ease. Even I, with zero con coding knowledge, am able to write simple one-liners that change sprite, sector or wall attributes en masse based on certain conditions, which can be incredibly useful.

Edit: The "console reveal" trailer is more or less identical to the reveal trailer? That's a bit lame.

There wasnt supposed to be any trailer really. Its just a small extra. Expect proper trailers and crazy things in the future :P :rolleyes:

User is offline   Forge 

I was generously gifted the steam version.

In Queen-of-the-Hill the performance jump was huge on my machine. It might have hitched once, but it was incredibly minor and almost unnoticeable.
The radar is pretty handy, too.
I can probably finish it now.

This post has been edited by Forge: 23 October 2018 - 04:26 PM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

View PostForge, on 23 October 2018 - 04:25 PM, said:

In Queen-of-the-Hill the performance jump was huge on my machine. It might have hitched once, but it was incredibly minor and almost unnoticeable.

Make sure to enter one of the public betas there, with the update 3 available.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostZaxx, on 23 October 2018 - 11:23 AM, said:

Is this true?
3D Realms is working on a new first person shooter that will be powered by the Quake Engine
Can't find another source on this, hence the question. Was hoping for another Build game or some other retro thing that's not an FPS. But hey, at least we'll have strafe jumping.

That's until they switch to the Unreal engine Posted Image

View PostForge, on 23 October 2018 - 04:25 PM, said:

That doesn't help the rest of us who got the 3DR version and are waiting on the update Posted Image

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Major props to VP and 3DR. I can't wait to play the full version when it comes out on Steam.

And that Quake engine snippet is... Well, that should be very interesting to see. :rolleyes: It makes a lot of sense to go back to these older engines if you want to maintain a small scale studio size. Next gen requires a larger crew. There's just too much to do in terms of resources.

Will any more physical copies be made available? I missed the first go around and i'd love to buy one.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Any hint as to who it is that is actually developing the Quake engine game, or is there even a team yet?

User is offline   Forge 

View PostDavoX, on 23 October 2018 - 04:43 PM, said:

Make sure to enter one of the public betas there, with the update 3 available.

already on it. Thanx for the heads up.

View PostMicky C, on 23 October 2018 - 05:13 PM, said:

That doesn't help the rest of us who got the 3DR version and are waiting on the update Posted Image

Sorry, man. I didn't do it to brag, I was just posting a courtesy note about the significant performance and feature improvement. It was intended for the dev team to be the audience.
This patch really needs to be pushed out on 3dr and gog, despite any other issues it may have.

This post has been edited by Forge: 23 October 2018 - 06:10 PM

Share this topic:

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options