Duke4.net Forums: Gearbox searches developer to help with new Duke Nukem game - Duke4.net Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gearbox searches developer to help with new Duke Nukem game

http://www.eurogamer...duke-nukem-game

I don't get my hopes up seeing they made the same mistake with Aliens colonial marines.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Everyone's first instinct is this is very bad news and they aren't wrong to think so due to the disaster that was Colonial Marines and let us not forget the recent disaster of Batman Arkham Knights PC port being done externally, although, now he's coming out and admitting that they are not only still going to make a Duke game which is good news, but they are admitting that they are bringing external devs along with them, so now every single hardcore Duke Nukem fan and every Colonial Marines buyer knows what they are doing and are now extremely cautious.
Extremely cautious Duke fans is not going to make things easy for Gearbox.

Either they actually are bringing more devs to work "with" them on Duke 5, or they really are as dumb as we said they are.
Because why else would they outright admit they're bringing in external developers for it when external devs have a bad rep?

I have put over 300 hours into a game called Ark: Survival Evolved, it is being developed by 4 different development companies and the game is fucking amazing, so even though everybody is in the right to doubt this move by Gearbox, I'm still going to see how it plays out.

I'm just going to be happy that Duke is still here.

My vote for a developer would be Flying Wild Hog or Machine Games.

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 15 July 2015 - 03:30 AM

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

Machine Games gets my vote for an outside developer.

User is offline   randir14 

If only they had approached Interceptor with some kind of deal allowing them to continue work on Mass Destruction.

I kind of have mixed feelings about this but I'm glad that Duke is getting anew game.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

I cannot believe I've become so numb and so jaded that all this news could elicit from me is apathy and indifference.

Seriously - it's hard to name any great developers, apart from the aforementioned, and unfortunately Gearbox probably does not believe they have the clout for a "AAA" game.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Several thoughts

1. I'm sad this means a Duke game hasn't already been in development. I really wanted to at least see what Duke Begins looked like
2. This can be a good thing. This won't be Gearbox working on someone else's IP, this is their own, so they'll take more care this time (plus I've heard only positives about Homeworld)
3. They can steal quotes from the new Ash vs. Evil Dead show

User is offline   xMobilemux 

View PostHulkNukem, on 15 July 2015 - 04:29 AM, said:

3. They can steal quotes from the new Ash vs. Evil Dead show

and Bruce Campbell will get pissed off again about Duke stealing the quotes.

User is offline   MetHy 

Only a very desperate studio would want to cooperate with them. Work with Gearbox on this and you get bad pubilicty being associated with DNF, with Gearbox and its trials.
Plus the article itself says the last studio who worked with them ended up bankrupt. Hah.

Funny how the video at the end of the article is the 2013 mod.

"I did not acquire the franchise merely so people could experience Duke Nukem Forever," he explained when asked if another Duke Nukem title would be made. "That was, sort of, the toll to pay to give Duke Nukem a chance at a future.

Yeah, go on and try to re-write history.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

I said it before will say it again. Building it from the ground up will be a big advantage. Gearbox can make a decent game. Oh and a side thought I guess they don't want 3DR. I am excited bet it will be better then DNF everybody deserves more then one chance. (Especially if your chances weren't really yours the first time)

User is offline   Lunick 

I don't really want Gearbox to get another company shut down like TimeGate, especially when I knew people there...

• Turok Nukem

So a new Duke possibilty is announced and this is what you talk of xD. Nobody is responsible for someone elses fate. You control your own. If they helped then they obviously weren't good enough help. Its on them

I second HulkNukem - this is Gearbox IP now and Pitchford has roots in Duke so despite Aliens, there isn't much case to be cynical. Guarded, yes. I'll feel even better if they chose a great developer. Wouldn't our friends at Interceptor make the most since? Pitchford did say on Twitter a couple years back regarding the royalties law suit that "a future Duke will happen when they are all friends again."

User is offline   Mennuz 

Machinegames is owned bij Zenimax/Bethesda, so i don't think it will be them.
Flying Wild Hog would be nice.
Devolver is interested at least

https://twitter.com/...300849914961920

User is offline   randir14 

Flying Wild Hog was too chickenshit to include anything offensive in Shadow Warrior, a Duke game from them would be neutered. Plus they'd probably make it another linear Painkiller/Serious Sam-type game.

This post has been edited by randir14: 15 July 2015 - 06:51 AM

I played the new Shadow Warrior game it was ok there was minor problems like walking outside of the map on chapter 14

This post has been edited by Turok 64 Jr: 15 July 2015 - 07:02 AM

• Turok Nukem

Devolver would be good imo. But I can understand some of the thoughts. The levels are linear a bit in SW but I still had a blast playing. But who knows maybe more exploration could be done... Also someone please let it be known that MP.. DM and CO-OP can't be skipped with Duke hehe :)

What we'll probably get: no weapon limits, no health regen, Duke will be his pre-DNF self again. But it will probably stay linear because, you know, we can't have too much fun in modern games. But hey, an announcement to a Duke announcement has been announced so I'm excited.

View Posthismasterplan, on 15 July 2015 - 06:17 AM, said:

I second HulkNukem - this is Gearbox IP now and Pitchford has roots in Duke so despite Aliens, there isn't much case to be cynical. Guarded, yes. I'll feel even better if they chose a great developer. Wouldn't our friends at Interceptor make the most since? Pitchford did say on Twitter a couple years back regarding the royalties law suit that "a future Duke will happen when they are all friends again."

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much for that to actually come true. Pitchford said many more things that didn't come true. Biggest example is Aliens colonial marines. I do like a new Duke Nukem game, but i learned from the past so i'm keeping my hopes down until i get my hands on it.

Okay this is Gearbox's chance to redeem themselves. Since they're creating their own game from scratch, maybe they won't be reliant on Georgie's mishaps, and maybe they can release the Duke game we've all been waiting for.

User is offline   Player Lin 

I don't care anything, I do not comment about this news until Gearbox shovelsoftware actually completed and published the new Duke game.

Until it happened, I don't care anymore. :|

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 15 July 2015 - 08:21 AM

User is offline   Minigunner 

Ideally, Interceptor/3DR would be the external company. One, it'd give them the chance to finally make a new Duke game, and two, that means Gearbox would make money off of their work rather than constantly suing them over copyright infringement. It's a win-win situation.

...unless the game sucks or Gearbox runs Interceptor into the ground.

User is offline   Mark 

Oh boy. We have the makings of yet another 40 page thread with everyone's guesses, opinions, suggestions, legal opinions and hating of what might happen along the way. :)

Dreamers and pessimists.... Ready.. Set... Go............

This post has been edited by Mark.: 15 July 2015 - 10:01 AM

Aren't the original DNF staff working as Gearbox employees now?

User is offline   Steveeeie 

I don't think interceptor are good enough, and anybody who says they 'deserve' to make a duke game are full of shit. Not trying to get personal about interceptor, but they haven't proven to anybody that they 'deserve' to be handed jack shit.

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 15 July 2015 - 11:11 AM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostPikaCommando, on 15 July 2015 - 10:11 AM, said:

A couple may have gone to Gearbox, but a number of them found the studio Triptych Games, which have made DNF and some Borderlands 2 DLC and launched a failed kickstarter for their own original IP a year or two ago. Haven't heard from them since.
Allen Blum would be THE guy to help out, whether full time or not.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 15 July 2015 - 12:57 PM

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

This could end up great depending on who they outsource to develop the game.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

I wasn't expecting this! :)

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 15 July 2015 - 03:25 AM, said:

Machine Games gets my vote for an outside developer.

Won't happen. They're owned by Zenimax.

View PostPikaCommando, on 15 July 2015 - 10:11 AM, said:

Some of them are (I think most of the 2006 exodus crew are still there sans Wieder), but the people that finished DNF, Triptych, folded in 2013 after finishing up BL2 DLC and their Kickstarter failing to gain traction. David Riegel's a senior designer at Hangar 13 (Mafia III) now.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 15 July 2015 - 01:30 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I'm just glad that the IP isn't completely dead.

Of course, having said that, the Duke Curse will kick in and I will be eating my words in 2 or so years time. "Sob, why couldn't they just have left it dead (huff huff huff)?"

Or even worse.... "Sigh, remember when DNF was remembered as the worst Duke game ever?"

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

There aren't many independent shooter developers to team up with, they're a rarity these days, so I guess depending on the scale of the game, they might end up working with a publisher-owned studio. I wonder if this project be similar to Homeworld, where Gearbox wholly funded the game with their Borderlands cash.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options