Duke4.net Forums: Gunload - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gunload  "My first foray into game development"

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Gunload
This is a project I've been working on for a little while now. It's a callback to the classic FPS's of the 90's, with satisfying weapons, the abstract level design, varied enemies, and speed with a few current era features like a light parkour system. The parkour will allow the levels to be even more open with more pathways through the level; imagine if Duke3D let you climb onto ledges.
I'll have weekly updates all leading up into a gameplay reveal;right now the first enemy has been shown off.
I'd like to point out what this game is NOT before more is announced: It is NOT a roguelike- the levels are all being handcrafted, not randomly generated. It will NOT look like Minecraft- nothing will have that blocky look to it. It won't claim to be influenced by 90's games and then only have 20% of its gameplay reminiscent of these classic games.
Let me know what you guys think so far and any ideas or comments.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 28 June 2015 - 10:53 AM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

Looks great, can't wait to see more! I like it how some people don't embark on their "first foray into game development" until they are damn sure they can deliver quality. :(

And to answer your question: she's on the far right, next to Yatta. :)

Posted Image

User is offline   Max Payne 

• Skinny little Russian liberal faggot

Hey using unity or udk4 ? Also your enemy looks pretty cool. Similar to a pigcop but has a hamster/groundhog feel to it xD If he was grey color he may look better ? But hey he looks decent I would like to shoot him up

Is this real ? 0i0

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Max Payne: 29 June 2015 - 10:41 AM

User is offline   Mark 

Will this be 8 bit classic with 2D sprites or hires with models and Polymer?

This post has been edited by Mark.: 29 June 2015 - 01:08 PM

View PostMark., on 29 June 2015 - 01:07 PM, said:

Will this be 8 bit classic with 2D sprites or hires with models and Polymer?

I'm using the Unity engine with a few addons, the levels will be built using brushes so its in actual 3D and lights will be cast from the sky as well as anything that would produce light (lamp, computer screen, etc etc).
All characters, objects, and the first person weapons will be sprites.
Every enemy so far has been made into a 3D model with animations and then I capture footage from it from all 8 different angles (as opposed to Doom and Duke which would just mirror a few of the angles) until I have a HUGE sprite sheet. These sprites are around 250-300 pixels wide and tall.
I then take these and scale them down to about Duke3D size, bring the color depth down, and change the saturation and brightness as needed. This way I can very easily make changes, like say give a character an eyepatch or a different helmet.
Because of the smaller size files that are being used for all the art, I can get a lot more of them running and easily have bodies that stay forever, and HOPEFULLY this means more computers will be able to run it. The levels are also low polygon count, which helps a lot with the lighting (and also me so I don't have to spend the time making a door frame with aligned textures, making sure everything is proportionate for all the models being added, etc etc)
For my situation, it was basically either do it like this, or make something that looked like Minecraft.
Plus, who knows for the future, I have all the 3D models backed up :)

Second character shown off
http://www.indiedb.c...uard-of-gunload Posted Image
Will have more to show in the coming weeks.

I certainly hope the poses and animation frames are WIP, they feel really stiff and clunky.

They can certainly be tweaked and changed completely if needed; its just a matter of re animating the model and then recapturing.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I like what you're trying to do here.

I wish you good luck with your project. I'm looking forward to seeing the end results :)

View PostTerminX, on 04 July 2015 - 01:00 AM, said:

I like what you're trying to do here.

I am trying hard to nail the feeling of it as a classic 90's FPS, not just in the aesthetic but the level design and gameplay. I really really hope I can nail it.

View Postthemaniacboy, on 04 July 2015 - 02:32 AM, said:

I wish you good luck with your project. I'm looking forward to seeing the end results :)

Thanks!

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

This does look interesting. Good luck with this.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

So what made you decide to go with unity rather then unreal engine? My only guess could be its because of the simplicity. I don't have anything against that but I just think UDK4 is the better engine and am using it for a project I am doing, then again I haven't spent enough time inside Unity to really be the judge of that so I am just wondering why you decided on it.

Btw it looks pretty cool and sounds interesting.

This post has been edited by 64Ghost: 10 July 2015 - 07:30 PM

Unity uses C# and you don't have to deal with alot of hefty inner working stuff. to really get the most out of UE4 you'll want to know C++, and even then it's designed for action games of a 3D variety. Unity's just more versatile and can do lots of things with less tinkering.

View Post64Ghost, on 10 July 2015 - 07:30 PM, said:

So what made you decide to go with unity rather then unreal engine? My only guess could be its because of the simplicity. I don't have anything against that but I just think UDK4 is the better engine and am using it for a project I am doing, then again I haven't spent enough time inside Unity to really be the judge of that so I am just wondering why you decided on it.

Btw it looks pretty cool and sounds interesting.

There's a multitude of small reasons, I actually have more experience with UE4; however it all comes down to one simple thing, which is that Unity is less taxing on hardware so this can run on a larger number of computers. There's no complex 3D models, the textures are all very small in size, the levels aren't overly detailed and peppered with objects, etc etc so there's no point in using a power house like UE
You can drive a sports car to the movie theater across the street or just walk; the destination is the same either way, so save a few bucks on gas :)

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 10 July 2015 - 09:28 PM

• Turok Nukem

I see. I mainly asked because through the journey I had finding a team and people to work with me many of them mentioned Unity hmm pretty much all of them except 3 people :S. But I found a programmer from the game ARK and a model artist from someone remaking Turok 1 in UE thats right up my alley. But I may have to look more into this Unity, I have it installed already I saw it before did a small portion of learning in it. Its not that different but there is still a difference for sure. It's tough to turn back because I am learning a hole lot slowly but surely and I have quite a bit here. But then again if the learning process is quicker there well damn I am pretty stuck lol.

Anyway wanted to say pretty interesting project you have wish you luck. I agree with Max Payne that the first enemy looks similar to a Pigcop with a ground hog beaver feel. Also it looks like he has been drinking beer for quite some time add some beer cans to him like a grenade vest but instead he has beer cans in it :) I also would like to shoot him in-game with a shotgun please let it be a double barrel or a double trigger I want him to explode that is a good thing I believe xD. The second enemy is like your trooper though, well Duke 3D has a good enemy balance in variety so not a bad thing if so. Keep up the work.

Another update with a new enemy reveal as well as a small bit about level design.
http://www.indiedb.c...vel-design-talk

As of right now it is still under authorization, ---authorization is done and its now live--- but I have the first preview of the first level I've been working on here http://www.indiedb.c...-preview-part-i

Here is the current overhead view of it so far; it is still very very VERY WIP
Posted Image

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 21 July 2015 - 11:14 AM

User is offline   Ronin 

I like your enemy design, very shootable. Level layout looks good too, keep it up.

Worked on the level a bit more; the flow is essentially complete, its just missing the exit area which won't be done until I plan the next level.
Just fixing and cleaning areas before I start detailing and making new textures. Things like stuffed animals in shops, stoves and ovens for the restaurants, garbage littered around the area, chairs, all those types of things. Also planning to do working televisions that emit flickering lights with fake shows. Things like this and working light switches are ridiculously easy to implement.
Anywho, the new overhead view. The new starting point is on the helipad near the bottom right
Posted Image

The helipad area; if you fall off, you die, however the exit to the level is within site, teasing you. This is also a small homage to Hollywood Holocaust starting on a roof.
Posted Image

A little shopping area; will have props laying around you can shoot and break
Posted Image

A small two-story bungalow like building
Posted Image

A platforming section; if you fall in the area under the red beams, you die; the camera is inside a building, so these planks aren't just floating in the air
Posted Image

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 27 July 2015 - 03:35 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

I like the level design but something feels off to me. It reminds me of a movie set? Like all the details seem fake and like props? I'm not sure.

I think I know what you mean; basically, everything looks like a fake facade, right? That should be alleviated when stuff like roofing, billboards, and an actual skybox are implemented.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Building heights.

This look better? Shortened this two buildings and gave them a slanted roof; should do away with the illusion.
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 29 July 2015 - 06:39 AM

Just a tiny update on the project; been working on the multiplayer side of things for a little while. You can connect to another game and shoot eachother, collect items and opening things like doors all work. It may sound miniscule, but its a lot of stuff to get done to get multiplayer working correctly. I've also got a bunch of new, much more improved textures created.
I'll also have a few new pics of new levels I've been working on either next week or the week after. It won't be disappointing =)

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 18 September 2015 - 03:32 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

But can I teabag Daedolon in it?

I can not confirm or deny crouching is in the game

• Turok Nukem

Nice work with this man before I was hard headed about new games but I like games made from indie sometimes there are hidden gems there. Other then that I like my turok and duke. You got my interest though. I think it needs to be a bit darker maybe its just early stage views of the maps but some darker tone maybe, only my opinion anyway. I know a lot about how much goes into this its a hell of a lot though I use Udk4 its still some what similar I checked unity out to. I would not be able to do all that's why I hire others who know what there doing for specific jobs. You know there are people out there looking to get some pay for there work with some its worth it. Even if its for touch ups. But I am not saying you are not doing that. Well good luck man I am interested.

Oh man I can't deny, now I really hope there is tea bagging surely there will be crouching you say its based on classic fps and being a build fan, I am pretty sure there will be crouch so don't worry Lunick xD tea bagging will be a great feature.

While development is still going, I am currently working on a smaller 2D-project for experience; I've taken it to a local game expo and lots of people enjoyed it. That can be found here

Updates on this game though is that I'm no longer going the Unity route and instead am using the Gloome engine (info found here) which is based off the ZDoom engine.

Because of this, there isn't much I can show off at the moment, but I can throw this here

Posted Image

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 17 April 2016 - 03:58 PM

Progress has been really slow (my other game is nearing completion!!!) but here's a couple gifs; everything is still early.
There's no effects like muzzleflash, and all the sprites aren't converted to my palette yet.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options