• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Serious Sam Thread  "In anticipation for SS4"

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

If there’s vehicles involved, then it’s conceivable some of them might have on-board weaponry capable of mowing down dozens or even hundreds of enemies a second.

User is offline   M.C. Jammer 

• Richard Shead 2: Banned Harder

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 11 June 2018 - 10:52 AM, said:

That's what I thought from the first moment I saw this in a Radio Shack on a jewel case swivel-stand and wrote it off as a worthless clone trying to capitalize on the Duke image back in the day. Wish I had given it a chance then.

Posted Image

What an unapologetic cover art mimicry, right down to the sneered face! I had almost forgotten about it. I guess Duke would comment, "Blonds really do have more fun!"

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

If it didn't have that huge Serious Sam title, I would have taken this for a cover of one of the countless Duke3D shovelware CDs of the 90s.

New low-quality footage and stills.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Driving a combine harvester. Amazing.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I support this:
https://twitter.com/...304086616567808

User is offline   ---- 

This sounds like fun. :(

Could be the first time I install a videogame that has to do with farming.

User is offline   M.C. Jammer 

• Richard Shead 2: Banned Harder

That footage looks more like a tech demo than actual gameplay, but that's because it's pre Alpha.

PC Gamer UK has some neat coverage on SS4, check it out.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

I love this Ars Technica video series:

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 03 October 2018 - 02:10 PM, said:

I love this Ars Technica video series:

Yeah, it is a great article. I happen to have read it just 2 minutes before coming here (I got to the Ars Technica article via Gamasutra, which is right above my Duke4.net shortcut).

It also shows how great the games "industry" had been before becoming an industry: Really talented enthusiasts trying to make projects of passion.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I get the feeling that Civvie is not exactly fond of the Serious Sam franchise. :lol: Still a great video though, I loved the editing work.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

He seems to think First and Second Encounter were great, 2 is underrated, 3 went in the wrong direction, and if 4 continues going in 3's direction it'll be disappointing.

I think I agree. I originally really disliked 2 and thought the new art style and humor was very offputting, but it did a lot more right than 3 did looking back. I've held onto the belief they need to find a middle ground between 2 and 3 for the next game.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 27 March 2019 - 01:14 PM

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but for a long time I thought the Second Encounter was Serious Sam 2. Outside of F.E.A.R. and Resi 4, I was barely paying attention to games by the mid-2000s, so never knew that Serious Sam 2 was a thing. I should probably play it some time because it looks absolutely nuts.

• The Truth is in here

View PostZaxx, on 26 March 2019 - 01:43 PM, said:

I get the feeling that Civvie is not exactly fond of the Serious Sam franchise. :lol: Still a great video though, I loved the editing work.

I loved Civvie's video about Dusk ep.3 more, in particular the part of the Stephan Weyte reveal. He likes him. Really. A lot. Might have never laughed that hard for a long time. Gotta love that guy.

The Serious Sam video however was also interesting, especially to refresh my memory about SS2. I only played that one once and almost remember absolutely nothing about it. Fittingly, it's the one Civvie likes most. Not sure if I can agree, but the military setting of SS3 indeed felt weird and out of place. If it's true what he says, that Call of Duty part at the beginning was supposed to be part of another game which was never made. It would fit, even though I still think S3 was quite entertaining and visually appealing - even though it was missing that characteristic colorful comic look. They should really bring that back.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 27 March 2019 - 01:58 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Yeah, SS3 and its DLC is my favorite SS game because I think it just plays really well even without all the extra fluff of SS2 but Civvie's right in that the game has a lot of "baggage" from the years before it's creation. The city setting and the desert was clearly chosen because of budgetary reasons (they made a lot of stuff for the military shooter that never got released and they did not want those assets to go to waste), the "Doom monsters" in the game are literally Doom monsters (at one point id Software wanted Croteam to develop Doom 4 so they made stuff for that: they didn't get the job at the end so they just used their Doom monsters for SS3).

On the other hand I still think SS3 has the best level design exactly because it's just classic Serious Sam on city maps that give you a lot more options in combat and exploration. I get why Civvie likes the level design of SS2, that's a lot closer to a traditional old school FPS and the game is full of interesting bits and pieces but the thing is that there is a reason why the level design of SS2 is more compact: the Xbox version. The maps were made smaller so that the Xbox could handle them too and I don't like seeing that in my Serious Sam game even though I understand that if someone wants a retro shooter he'll prefer that. To me SS is about the spectacle of fighting tons of enemies where I just have to deal with it somehow and sure, that can be viewed as bullshit or frustrating but it's really not, it's all about knowing enemy patterns perfectly and figuring out how to be effective.

• The Sarien Encounter

You know what's a great game is The Next Encounter which was a Gamecube exclusive. It has the cartooniness of SS2 but with a more traditional (yet, still toned down) large outdoor areas and mob battles. As far as I'm concerned it's the real SS2. I haven't played SS2 but from what I've seen of it....ecchh. I've been looking forward to watching Civvie's video on this. Kind of sad that he didn't seem to like SS3. I thought it was fantastic. Sure, it had the aim down sites thing and the miiltary assault rifle carbon copy, but at its core it still felt like the good old days of Sam to me.

View PostNightFright, on 27 March 2019 - 01:48 PM, said:

the military setting of SS3 indeed felt weird and out of place. If it's true what he says, that Call of Duty part at the beginning was supposed to be part of another game which was never made.

That would be the Doom game that Croteam pitched to id Software who ended up turning it down. Ever wonder why a lot of those enemies seem to closely resemble Doom baddies? Zombie military? Mancubus-looking hulking Scrapjack? Khnums (aka Hell Knights/Barons)? The spiders (Doom 3)?

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 27 March 2019 - 05:52 PM, said:

You know what's a great game is The Next Encounter which was a Gamecube exclusive.

It got released on PS2 too but the Gamecube version looks a lot nicer and it's running at 60 fps so that's the definitive port. And yeah, it's a pretty nice game, it handles the cartoony art style a lot better than SS2 does (which is weird because Croteam had nothing to do with Next Encounter).

As for reloading, aiming down sights etc. in SS3: I always felt that that stuff helps the weapon balance of the game. For example in previous games using the tommy gun didn't make much sense after you got your hands on the minigun but in SS3 the machinegun is a lot more useful for long range combat since you can use the sights and the same goes for the pistol too. The weaker weapons get more use in SS3 and that's good. Also: SS3 has sprinting and that's a huge reason for why I prefer that game to the other entries. Sam was always a bit slow in the previous games so sprinting improves the pacing and gives you a bunch of new options when it comes to positioning.

Some people hate these "modern" features but they all make sense even for an FPS that aims to be old school in its shooting... if they are used well of course and SS3 is using them really well.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 27 March 2019 - 09:10 PM

User is offline   Avoozl 

I wish they would consider putting SS3 on GoG.

This post has been edited by Avoozl: 28 March 2019 - 01:01 AM

• The Truth is in here

Wasn't there also a SS3 expansion called "Jewel of the Nile" or something? I think I even bought it during a sale but never actually played it...

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Yep, Jewel of the Nile is the DLC. Play it, it's fun and it has a map based around the jetpack.

User is offline   Avoozl 

JotN also made the secrets weapons from the main game such as the sniper rifle and laser cannon and their ammo more available.

This post has been edited by Avoozl: 28 March 2019 - 04:24 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Jewel of the Nile was great.

View PostZaxx, on 27 March 2019 - 09:08 PM, said:

It got released on PS2 too but the Gamecube version looks a lot nicer and it's running at 60 fps so that's the definitive port.

Well, I'll be. So it was!

• The Truth is in here

They didn't advertise the addon much, at least I wasn't aware of any. For me it just popped up on Steam one day and then I kept it on my wishlist until it was on sale on day. But thanks for the recommendation, I'll give it a spin once I get around to installing SS3 again - probably via Fusion, then.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I wonder what Civvie would say about Will Rock? The game picks the Serious Sam formula but tweaks it a little -- you still have hordes of enemies but they're much more manageable because your weapons pack more of a punch compared to Sam. There's also a good mix between exploration/puzzles and arena fights, and a neat variety of scenery in the Ancient Grome setting (I heard the developers actually consulted experts on Roman architecture). There are thankfully no hitscanners but on hard difficulty projectiles are harder to avoid because the AI tracks your movement and fires them at your expected destination, not your current location. I found fights fun in this as well as exploration and scenery, whereas Serious Sam fights are often pretty tedious to me (and I only seriously played the demo! I love the Egyptian setting though). There are also cool jump pads in Will Rock and some other forms of verticality (you can hop in a catapult and launch yourself to a secret or over a wall in some areas), adding to the fun.

But I know I'm a bit biased because I've always loved Ancient Greece since childhood and that certainly influenced my perception of Will Rock. But I doubt that I'd have the same feelings about it if actual gameplay and fights were off-putting to me.

Many of Will Rock's concepts and designs were later recycled in a co-op shooter called God Mode but I think it doesn't feel the same (never played it though).

User is offline   ---- 

For SS3 or SS3 in Fusion: Go to the Steam Workshop and look for BFE-Enhanced.

That mod creates an additional campaign in Fusion or replaces the normal campaign in the old SS3. But it is the retail campaign of SS3.

It adds back the Lasergun and Sniper as normal weapons (with enough ammo), puts the DLC directly into the main campaign where it belongs and adds many old enemies from SS1 (1st and 2nd encounter).

I personally also add the NoReload mod ... et viola: you have the good stuff from SS1 in a better campaign for SS3. :lol:

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 28 March 2019 - 10:33 AM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostMrFlibble, on 28 March 2019 - 05:00 AM, said:

Will Rock

Maaaaaan, I wanted to like that game. I played it coop with my brother back when the demo released and thought it was just Serious Sam but in Greece which is exactly what I wanted, but it just wasn't the same. Its been so long I don't remember what exactly it was I didn't like about it though. I remember thinking the same for Nitro Family.

I never knew it was the same developer as God Mode, thats interesting. I wouldn't recommend God Mode but I definitely see where the similarities are between it and Will Rock.
God Mode is what you get if you took Serious Sam, made it third person only, had no weapon pickups and instead you were relegated to a two weapon loadout you picked before matches, had nothing but combat arena after combat arena with nothing to do inbetween (no platforming, no secrets, no backtracking, nothing) and very few levels making you replay the same levels over and over. The only interesting thing it did was arenas would have random modifiers like whenever something would bleed its blood was replaced by coins you could pick up or giving a random player a super strong weapon just for that arena.
If done right this concept could've been great but the actual shooting wasn't great.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 31 March 2019 - 12:09 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMrFlibble, on 28 March 2019 - 05:00 AM, said:

Will Rock

Fun fact: Quake Champions is running on a highly modified version of the Saber3D Engine, the game engine that got its start with Will Rock.

User is offline   Solais 

Since PikaCommando seems to have been -thankfully- inactive enough recently to realize me joining this forum, I guess I can post some small bit of news here.

It's not a trailer yet, and the videos are unfortunately missing, but if you are curious about some of the new tech behind SS4, there were some slides released from the latest GDC talk that the CTO of Croteam did: https://gpuopen.com/...rious-sam-4.pdf

This post has been edited by Solais: 27 April 2019 - 04:18 PM

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options