Duke4.net Forums: The Serious Sam Thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Serious Sam Thread  "In anticipation for SS4"

Check out these new Serious Sam 4 footage!

They were originally shown as a part of a presentation at Reboot Develop Blue 2019.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Holy snaaaaaaap.

User is offline   Avoozl 

I wish they would consider putting that game (not to mention SS3 also) on GoG.

This post has been edited by Avoozl: 17 October 2019 - 04:36 AM

User is offline   Outtagum 

Posted Image

User is offline   Mark 

Sam texted Duke... "Hurry, you don't want to miss this one"

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

So... it's actually still alive?

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostNightFright, on 17 April 2020 - 12:18 AM, said:

So... it's actually still alive?

Devolver just teased us with a snippet of gameplay. I want to see a proper reveal soon. It's been an absurdly long wait.

https://twitter.com/...005372127940608

Doing my first ever Serious Duke run and found the Launch Facility "secret".

https://i.imgur.com/FPOL8N6.mp4

the entire level geometry seems to be there, but it's hard to explore, everything is white or grey. The exit button is there and works, but doesn't load The Abyss, it just throws you to the main menu.

https://i.imgur.com/zUgWPB0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/oONREp0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eIvDNgO.jpg

yeah i know people knows this already, i was just amazed that the entire thing is there ;)

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 25 April 2020 - 10:43 PM

User is offline   HMNuke93 

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Releases August 2020

Its a prequel (which I hope doesn't mean it ends up like Sam 3 with boring realistic environments the entire game)
Thousands of enemies can be on screen at once
4 player coop returns (and they specifically mention that theres sidequests?)

More videos:

Serious Battles
Serious Enemies
Serious Weapons
Serious Music
Legion System

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

It's cool that we can see thousands of enemies, but the game still looks dull to me as SS 3. I miss SS 1 atmosphere. Even SS 2 looks better to my personal taste.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I dunno. I've seen from the various clips that even if they're realistic they seem to be going for a wider variety of environments, and certainly have a wider and more lush color palette. I think this time they're going for more than just dusty deserted desert streets and dusty old desert ruins.

That being said, at least for me personally, I never cared that much for the environments. They've always just been pure set dressing for the honed and refined combat; that's why I never batted an eye at the massive empty arenas. They generally look bland but it services the gameplay by making sure there aren't any corners to get stuck in. As far as visuals go, I'm generally more interested in the use of color, which 4 seems to be upping a bit. Otherwise, it's the gameplay and music that I value most.

• The Sarien Encounter

SS3 looks great if you set the colours to vibrant. Just crank that baby right up. Gives it loads of life.

I can't wait.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 20 May 2020 - 07:48 PM, said:

SS3 looks great if you set the colours to vibrant. Just crank that baby right up. Gives it loads of life.

Yeah, that's what I usually did. Probably another reason SS3's appearance didn't bother me that much.

Though it would've been nice as the default.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

So word is spreading that they've censored the Harpy boobs from SS3?

I'm having flashbacks to a certain situation involving a certain bottle of soap.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Not sure how they are related.
Harpies were covered in First/Second Encounter anyways.
Thats also such a miniscule and dumb complaint.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 21 May 2020 - 02:25 PM

User is offline   Outtagum 

Hell yeah. The grenade launcher's back, the environments look even more varied, and the WAR scream is present and accounted for.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 11 July 2020 - 07:17 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Looks great. Lol and I love how all those Mental aliens and whatnot are marching around Talos Principle ruin locations haha. You can really tell that Talos Principle was just SS4 in the beginning and they just repurposed the assets.

Croteam? Reusing stuff? well i never

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Interesting, although I have seen pretty much the same things in TFE, TSE and BFE...

Yet, I wonder why Serious Sam 2 didn't have a VR port... I mean, why is this the only one that haven't got a VR port ? Does it have anything to do with the assessment that "nobody liked Serious Sam 2" ?

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 12 July 2020 - 06:48 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Uh, yes.

Croteam themselves don't like SS2 if I remember right. Probably something to do with Take-Two or 2K or whoever trying to meddle with the project?

Eh, don't quote me on that. I could be thinking of something else.

User is offline   Player Lin 

And Croteam was officially considered SS2 is non-canon for Serious universe, and they planned to remake SS2 in future, but no time given as it was on lowest priority as they were focused on Serious Sam Fusion engine and then Serious Sam 4.
[Warning : Citation needed, I just can't found the source anymore...after the Seriously! forum shut down and moved to Discord.:)]

The Steam version Serious Sam 2 did received some updates, after the mod author of Insamnity! 2 joined Croteam and helps maintains(integrated the mod with the updated SS2 engine) it but that was back on 2016, and then no sign about that.
Steamdb depot information seems confirmed the game never got content updates since 4 year ago. As the date of this pinned thread in Steam's Serious Sam 2 Discussions shows.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 13 July 2020 - 08:05 AM

View PostPlayer Lin, on 13 July 2020 - 08:04 AM, said:

And Croteam was officially considered SS2 is non-canon for Serious universe, and they planned to remake SS2 in future, but no time given as it was on lowest priority as they were focused on Serious Sam Fusion engine and then Serious Sam 4.
[Warning : Citation needed, I just can't found the source anymore...after the Seriously! forum shut down and moved to Discord.:)]

Unfortunately, there's no source on the SeriousZone forums or anywhere else for that matter because the developers have stopped visiting it long before it shut down. As far as I remember, SS2R is originally announced in a Facebook reply to someone and SS2 not being canon anymore came from a developer who talked with the community every now and then. I know these facts without sources should be taken with a grain of salt in most instances, but this is one of those cases where you'll just have to believe it.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostPikaCommando, on 16 July 2020 - 07:37 AM, said:

Unfortunately, there's no source on the SeriousZone forums or anywhere else for that matter because the developers have stopped visiting it long before it shut down. As far as I remember, SS2R is originally announced in a Facebook reply to someone and SS2 not being canon anymore came from a developer who talked with the community every now and then. I know these facts without sources should be taken with a grain of salt in most instances, but this is one of those cases where you'll just have to believe it.

Yeah, SS2R was announced and I did read the reply, but since no real official announce or something like that, and SS2R went totally silence so I still count that as "Citation needed" until Croteam officially said so. :)

That's a kickass remix of Grand Cathedral.

Serious Sam 4 is now available for pre-order on GOG.

It looks like there'll be a series of videos in the weeks leading up to release. Here's the first entry:

This post has been edited by PikaCommando: 24 August 2020 - 06:31 AM

I wonder if we'll ever get a semi-basic breakdown of how the legion system does its magic. I'm oddly intrigued.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I really hope SS4 is going to be more like the first parts. The third one was a bit too... serious. :)

Also heard stories that SS3 was actually supposed to be Doom 2016, but in the end things didn't work out and they converted it into a Serious Sam game. Which is why some enemies still look surprisingly close to Doom enemies (there's at least one that looks like a Baron of Hell).

So... unless they try to copy Doom Eternal this time, I'm in.

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options