• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Serious Sam Thread  "In anticipation for SS4"

The only FPS I know of that lets you face off against this many enemies at once

Posted Image

This post has been edited by PikaCommando: 19 May 2015 - 05:04 AM

Another quality thread by PikaCommando.

User is offline   Player Lin 

It seems I already tired on such gameplay...I already never played any SS games near a year... :(

Abusing S/L always happens when I played SS1 & SS2, but not SS3 since I don't want lose my bonus points for limited saving times. :)

I really hope there is something changed about gameplay in SS4...seriously... :|

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 19 May 2015 - 04:31 AM

View PostMYHOUSE.MAP, on 19 May 2015 - 04:28 AM, said:

Another quality thread by PikaCommando.

Yeah, don't you have better things to do? :V

View PostPlayer Lin, on 19 May 2015 - 04:29 AM, said:

It seems I already tired on such gameplay...I already never played any SS games near a year... :(

Abusing S/L always happens when I played SS1 & SS2, but not SS3 since I don't want lose my bonus points for limited saving times. :)

I really hope there is something changed about gameplay in SS4...seriously... :|

Did you manage to finish SS3? I'm pretty sure there's no penalty to savescumming there. Plus who cares about bonus points? :(

As for SS4, I doubt it. CT seems to be stickler to traditions, although their recent first-person puzzle game, The Talos Principle, might show that they're reading to take a different approach in doing things.

Here shows their stylistic approach to Serious Sam over the years

Posted Image

User is offline   Jinroh 

Stylistically I love BFE, Sam's look, the look of the environment, it's a great blending of realistic and sci-fi. Not to mention a real man's gameplay with all the hordes of enemies. Though when I play Co-Op on Steam, everyone asks if I'm playing on a toaster, GameCube, etc. as I'm always the last to finish loading.

I really wanted to like SS Advance as I love those GBA FPS games, sad it wasn't good like Duke Advance. I really liked the Retro Encounter though for the DOOM engine so that kinda made up for it.

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 19 May 2015 - 05:11 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I love The Talos Principle. What a fantastic game.

Incidentally, if you watch the behind the scenes video that comes with Talos they mention that in the beginning they were a puzzle developer during the Amiga days. It wasn't until much later they got into the realm of shooters with Serious Sam. The Talos Principle was born by accident out of gameplay features being made for SS4 which they loved so much they turned into a new IP instead. That to me is the mark of a great game developer and a testament to their creativity. It also speaks to me that they're always trying something new and don't want to just repeat the past.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 19 May 2015 - 05:19 AM

View PostPikaCommando, on 19 May 2015 - 05:06 AM, said:

Did you manage to finish SS3? I'm pretty sure there's no penalty to savescumming there. Plus who cares about bonus points? :)

Of course, at least I completed Hard on my first playthrough. Not on my 2nd run with Serious...just too lazy to completed...

Yeah, there is no penalty in SS3 like cheating in-level on SS2 and caused all of bonus score are 0...and pissed me off. :(

The problem is, I just can't stop cares every points I can get, if there is a scoring system in the game...:\

Traditions or not, it always just make me lonely since my friends who like play FPSes doesn't like Serious Sam's gameplay at all...too mess, too complicated...(but well...I don't really care other's thinking...) :D

Hasn't played the full version of The Talos Principle, but I think it's great after I played the demo version...I may try to get one when it's on sale. :(

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 19 May 2015 - 05:37 AM

View PostPlayer Lin, on 19 May 2015 - 05:31 AM, said:

Of course, at least I completed Hard on my first playthrough. Not on my 2nd run with Serious...just too lazy to completed...

Yeah, there is no penalty in SS3 like cheating in-level on SS2 and caused all of bonus score are 0...and pissed me off. :)

The problem is, I just can't stop cares every points I can get, if there is a scoring system in the game...:\

Traditions or not, it always just make me lonely since my friends who like play FPSes doesn't like Serious Sam's gameplay at all...too mess, too complicated...(but well...I don't really care other's thinking...) :(

Hasn't played the full version of The Talos Principle, but I think it's great after I played the demo version...I may try to get one when it's on sale. :(

That's odd, Serious Sam is among the most simple shooters I know. There's no mazes or keycard-hunting and the only gameplay is killing all the enemies before they kill you. For me, one of Serious Sam's best appeal is its simplicity. The only other game I know of that is similar to Serious Sam is Painkiller, and that one had some pretty hard secrets.

I'm not sure deal with shitload of monsters is "simplicity"...I have a friend like Wolfenstein and played DN3D, DNF, SW2013 but he never completed SS3(he seems rarely play his SS games in Steam, also Painkiller games too...) in any difficulty...at least his record of leaderboard stopped on early stages, his Steam playtime showed he only played 7 hours, and no game complete achievement. I can only think he cheated for ending if he want, or just give up before complete the game.

It's not everybody who like old-school FPS also like Serious Sam... :\

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 19 May 2015 - 06:21 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

It may be simplistic, depending on how you look at it, but I wouldn't say it's complicated.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Serious Sam Revolution, 1000x fire rate, 1000x enemy spawn multiplier, very fast movement speed, infinite ammo, 2 player coop with my brother through the main campaign
A god damn fun way to spend several hours a month doing.

User is offline   Lunick 

Serious Sam Revolution is the best!

(My Twitter handle may or may not be in the credits)

Oh boy, SS3 was too much game for me to handle. It's on hold as of today. FPS isn't my strongest genre and SS requires a skill set I'm not too interested in learning.

They added reloading to certain weapons in SS3, which I thought they shouldn't have, because the gameplay doesn't work well with reloadable guns.

Also the double-barreled is weaker than I wanted it to be. This game claims to be Doom's heir and yet the double-barreled doesn't kill everything...

• The Sarien Encounter

Oh I still refuse to believe that SS is even possible to beat on single player (at least on Mental difficulties). I beat all the games on co-op only because you keep respawning infinitely.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 19 May 2015 - 11:18 AM, said:

It may be simplistic, depending on how you look at it, but I wouldn't say it's complicated.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 19 May 2015 - 06:31 PM, said:

Oh I still refuse to believe that SS is even possible to beat on single player (at least on Mental difficulties). I beat all the games on co-op only because you keep respawning infinitely.

If I enable GOD mode or play with un-limit respawning of MP games then it's simplistic and never be complicated for me. :)

Compilcated, if I needed to think where should I go to prevent get killed by surprised enemies or obstacles can stuck me and deal with monsters who coming to me at the same times(plus good timing to save my game or I'll stuck at un-winnable situation)...

Yeah, I agree reloading in SS3 is the big reason to get killed on most of time...

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 20 May 2015 - 04:56 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Posted Image
No cheats or hacks here, completely single player on my on.

Serious is actually harder that Mental IMO if you are playing single player because the enemies are stronger than they are on hard where as on Mental they take the same damage etc. found on the Hard level it's just that they fade from visible to invisible.
One of these days I will replay it on Mental.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 21 May 2015 - 05:35 AM

View PostThe Commander, on 21 May 2015 - 05:34 AM, said:

Serious is actually harder that Mental IMO if you are playing single player because the enemies are stronger than they are on hard where as on Mental they take the same damage etc. found on the Hard level it's just that they fade from visible to invisible.
One of these days I will replay it on Mental.

Wow.

Mental is just so annoying because of invisible enemies, but they're not powerful as in Serious.

Good to know you're not give up like me about Serious run.
Still try to find a chance to pick it up again... :)

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostThe Commander, on 21 May 2015 - 05:34 AM, said:

Posted Image

You are a god among men.

I tried it on Normal. I think this game is like Descent, where I also suck on anything beyond Rookie.

My biggest problem is ammo management, if it weren't for that I probably wouldn't have such a hard time. Also why I had to abort a Blood run (Phantasms are invincible to anything other than bullets and my Tommy Gun and Sawed-off were empty).

Forgive my lack of knowledge on Prey, but based on the features that was advertised back then (6 degrees of freedom, portal tech, advanced AI, server hopping), it sounds like it is everything Serious Sam 1 did in its 1999 build except for the advanced AI and server hopping, by a 10-man fresh-out-of-college team. So why did Prey failed where Serious Sam succeeded?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I don't think SS1 had actual portals did it? IIRC they were more like teleporters such as in Duke 3D and quake.

I remember reading something about how there was 1 person working on the engine at a time and it took too long and ran into some issues etc. Probably a lack of focus from the upper management just like with DNF.

Does anyone else prefer the originals over the HD versions?
The graphics of both are pleasing to me and my computer runs them all perfectly fine, so the only thing that pushes me towards the originals is down to the weird ass physics of certain levels. You had enemies running on walls, giant horseshoe shaped areas with ridiculous gravity, so on and so forth, and in the HD versions, they are replaced with stuff like giant rotating platforms. It's just not the same!
These are really small sections in the game overall, making up maybe 15 minutes overall, but they are so damn special to me.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 07 July 2015 - 10:30 AM

Classic and HD both has own good points, since the Serious engine has been changed so much...

The old Serious Engine always has some weird things happens, and the teleporting for enemies tends like didn't worked and caused players always cannot got 100% kills on levels because they didn't spawn to play-fields.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 08 July 2015 - 08:13 AM

Also where the hell is Sam 4? Wasn't there a random announcement that was saying it would be released by end of 2014 or something?

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostHulkNukem, on 08 July 2015 - 07:21 PM, said:

Also where the hell is Sam 4? Wasn't there a random announcement that was saying it would be released by end of 2014 or something?

The Talos Principle happened.

It was supposed to be done this year too, then Road to Gehenna happened.

• The Sarien Encounter

That's ok. It'll come when it's ready. I personally adore The Talos Principle.

User is offline   Alithinos 

View PostPlayer Lin, on 19 May 2015 - 04:29 AM, said:

It seems I already tired on such gameplay...I already never played any SS games near a year... :(Abusing S/L always happens when I played SS1 & SS2, but not SS3 since I don't want lose my bonus points for limited saving times. :)I really hope there is something changed about gameplay in SS4...seriously... :|

For me at some point SS3 became somewhat repeatitive, but it wasn't that much the gameplay, as the environment and enemy types. The fact that the whole game takes place on Egypt.
But at earlier games like the Encounters, and SS2, I didn't had that problem, because they have more variety and takes you to a number of different places. Especially SS2, it surprized me with the enemy variety it has.

View PostPikaCommando, on 19 May 2015 - 05:55 AM, said:

That's odd, Serious Sam is among the most simple shooters I know. There's no mazes or keycard-hunting and the only gameplay is killing all the enemies before they kill you. For me, one of Serious Sam's best appeal is its simplicity. The only other game I know of that is similar to Serious Sam is Painkiller, and that one had some pretty hard secrets.

There are FEW places in Serious Sam games that do have some puzzles and require some thinking. The encounters had many switches you had to find and activate, and a place required you to shoot down all the wooden pillars to drop the floor to move on. At SS3, I really got lost on the underground level with the space monkeys. When it comes to the main gameplay though, yes, it starts very simple, but later on it grows its own kind of 'complexity'. Complexity as in that each enemy has different mechanics / ways of attack, and when there are lots of them, and at different angles, you have to take some decision quite fast on the fly of what to do to survive. I mean, the trick to survive in Kleer attacks is to strafe to avoid them. But what if there are also the guys who shoot projectiles, and you have to avoid both Kleers, and the projectiles, all while kamikazes run towards you ? :thumbsup:

I played SS3 on medium to hard difficulty (don't remember its exact name, somewhere in the middle) and got up to the last level, but got stuck at that Kleer horde that comes out from that tunnel. I just couldn't survive them no matter what I tried. Eventually I took the decision to drop my ego and drop the difficulty setting a bit lower, to finish it.
But then I played the older games, and while I think SS2 is managable for the most part, I seriously doubt that the encounters can be finished without cheats or co-op. The encounters really made me to go at the game's steam discussion and open a thread just for that: Asking if the games are supposed to be played with cheats, due to them be too hard.

User is offline   xenoxols 

The first time I played through SS3 the game skipped the last level and went straight to the ending. Fantastic game though.

View PostAlithinos, on 06 January 2016 - 04:57 AM, said:

For me at some point SS3 became somewhat repeatitive, but it wasn't that much the gameplay, as the environment and enemy types. The fact that the whole game takes place on Egypt.
But at earlier games like the Encounters, and SS2, I didn't had that problem, because they have more variety and takes you to a number of different places. Especially SS2, it surprized me with the enemy variety it has.

I seriously hate Egypt for being a theme of Serious Sam series, now. :(

I like SS2, but it was just too funny and cartoon-ish... I like funny games, but if it's a Serious Sam game then I'm not sure. :thumbsup:

View PostAlithinos, on 06 January 2016 - 04:57 AM, said:

But what if there are also the guys who shoot projectiles, and you have to avoid both Kleers, and the projectiles, all while kamikazes run towards you ? ;)

That's always the biggest reason which I got killed, and it sometimes worse on higher difficulty, like Serious difficulty, since enemies are fast and powerful in that difficulty. :D

But after I beat them, I feel very nice.Before rage-quit-ed after endless times get killed.

--

When skilled Serious Sam players said you should not cheating and lower difficulty when you feel the game just too hard...but I just refused to do that...for pointless score and avoid frustrations...lower difficulty just miss something, in my opinion... :)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 07 January 2016 - 07:32 AM

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options