Duke4.net Forums: Turok Forum - Duke4.net Forums

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Turok Forum  "New"

The complete original Turok source code and seemingly many of its raw development assets have been found on an SGI workstation formerly owned by Iguana Entertainment:

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I hope this doesn't impede the official efforts to release the source code. I wonder how they line up.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Looks like the guys is afraid releasing it and going to sell the workstation instead.

http://archive.is/zFOdR

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

1. Buy old computers
2. Find rare historical data
3. ??? Get lots of press
4. Profit!

I don't blame him, but I hope he makes a copy of the data for himself in case this is lost to one of the prototype hoarders that are all too common.

User is offline   Lunick 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162360925581 What the fuck
Posted Image

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMarphy Black, on 14 January 2017 - 12:06 PM, said:

The complete original Turok source code and seemingly many of its raw development assets have been found on an SGI workstation formerly owned by Iguana Entertainment:

Usually devs make "closing packages" that hold not only the sourcecode but also all the raw assets and everything that could be useful if they were to re-use it in any way in the future.

If they did their job right, he should have everything, somewhere.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 18 January 2017 - 01:54 AM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Kotaku: Guy Finds Turok, NBA Jam Source Code On Auctioned Computers.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Spoiler: It's not a good or original NBA Jam game; thanks clickbait Kotaku

Turok 2 releasing in March

• The Sarien Encounter

Yessssssssss

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

That doesn't look fully remastered.

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, that's the wrong term to use for sure. Still, I don't care. Ever since my original N64 cart was stolen as a teen I've been wanting to play this again. I really enjoyed the first game's port.

Didn't get the first one a couple years ago because of the price and ended up watching a lets play to get my fill since then; I will definitely buy this one though as I have lots of nostalgia for it. I really hope they are able to make a coop mode like the game was originally suppose to have (you can use cheats to get a ghetto version of coop, but its broken and usually doesn't work quite right)
I know they only ever said they were working on Turok 1 and 2, but I hope 3 and Rage Wars see a PC release; I'm not holding my breath though

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 28 February 2017 - 12:44 PM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

If the multiplayer gets dedicated servers, I'll definitely host this. Apparently it has the maps from both the PC and N64 versions, which is great. I hold Turok 2's MP right up there with the likes of Quake and Unreal.

This post has been edited by Striker: 28 February 2017 - 05:45 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

H2Whoa.

User is offline   axl 

View PostHulkNukem, on 28 February 2017 - 10:46 AM, said:

Turok 2 releasing in March

Definitely picking this up. Nightdive / kaiser did a great job on the first one.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostTea Monster, on 28 February 2017 - 12:09 PM, said:

When I first saw this I thought "so they updated a few assets and slapped 'remastered' on it." Then I saw they explicitly wrote fully remastered and nearly spat out my decaf coffee (it's 9pm here, cut me some slack). Some of those textures give new life to the phrase "how low can you go".

View PostHulkNukem, on 28 February 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

Didn't get the first one a couple years ago because of the price and ended up watching a lets play to get my fill since then; I will definitely buy this one though as I have lots of nostalgia for it. I really hope they are able to make a coop mode like the game was originally suppose to have (you can use cheats to get a ghetto version of coop, but its broken and usually doesn't work quite right)
I know they only ever said they were working on Turok 1 and 2, but I hope 3 and Rage Wars see a PC release; I'm not holding my breath though

They probably figure with the high prices that even though it might put some people off, there'll still be enough early nostalgic adopters to make a decent income, and that they'll still make some pretty decent case on modest sales.

However what I'm not people like this account for is that people will give the game a seriously low rating purely for the price, regardless of the quality of the product itself. Therefore anyone who comes across the page out of curiosity, sees the mediocre rating and doesn't bother reading the reviews will also be put off.

User is offline   The Kins 

View PostTea Monster, on 28 February 2017 - 12:09 PM, said:

View PostMicky C, on 01 March 2017 - 02:33 AM, said:

When I first saw this I thought "so they updated a few assets and slapped 'remastered' on it." Then I saw they explicitly wrote fully remastered and nearly spat out my decaf coffee (it's 9pm here, cut me some slack). Some of those textures give new life to the phrase "how low can you go".
The textures are by and large the same, yes. The actual code side of things, though... the game has been transplanted to a different, modern engine that can render more than six feet in front of you with a double digit framerate, and as a result has been heavily rewritten. The Steam page also mentions gameplay changes and map tweaks to make the game play nicer on a system that isn't crippled by the N64's controller. Based on the dev team's track record of Doom 64 EX, Strife Veteran Edition and Turok 1, "remaster" is still an accurate label.

I really hope they are able to make a coop mode like the game was originally suppose to have (you can use cheats to get a ghetto version of coop, but its broken and usually doesn't work quite right)
I don't think this will happen, simply because there's a lot of work that'd have to be done - netcode synching for monsters, making sure scripts still work properly etc. etc... maybe after release, but I wouldn't hold my breath - the original game's co-op was just a glitch, after all.

Pretty sure it depends on how well these two games sell.

View PostMicky C, on 01 March 2017 - 02:33 AM, said:

They probably figure with the high prices that even though it might put some people off, there'll still be enough early nostalgic adopters to make a decent income, and that they'll still make some pretty decent case on modest sales.

However what I'm not people like this account for is that people will give the game a seriously low rating purely for the price, regardless of the quality of the product itself. Therefore anyone who comes across the page out of curiosity, sees the mediocre rating and doesn't bother reading the reviews will also be put off.
It's a licensed game, using an IP licensed from a large media company. I don't think the higher prices for the Turok games is entirely Night Dive's choice...

User is offline   Lunick 

Saw these post up on Tumblr via Kinsie

The author of Turok Wolfenstein has gone mad with power!

• Auramancer

User is offline   Lunick 

That intro is quite hilarious.

• The Sarien Encounter

Ahhh those menu sounds take me back! It's kind of jarring seeing it run with such smooth non-N64 non-Expansion Pak framerate lol.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 16 March 2017 - 05:40 AM

User is offline   Steve 64 

I can't play Turok 2 Seeds of Evil force to refund the game

The multiplayer, while janky and quite laggy (don't know if that was just the server's fault or if it's always like this) is really damn fun. Reminds me a lot of the old Skulltag Deathmatch days.

The Firestorm Cannon is hot garbage though, don't use it.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 16 March 2017 - 05:39 AM, said:

Ahhh those menu sounds take me back! It's kind of jarring seeing it run with such smooth non-N64 non-Expansion Pak framerate lol.

It is quite awkward; it almost looks like the game is running too fast through bad emulation, but that's just how much of a framerate difference there is.
There's also some issues with the cut scenes with characters clipping through geometry. I can't imagine this was in the original, however it's such a non-issue it doesn't ruin the game at all.
Now the bloom going on the weapons, that is something I'll be turning off when I get this.

Also also, I wonder if turning off the gore renders the zombie attacks useless like it did on the 64?

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 16 March 2017 - 12:17 PM

User is offline   Steve 64 

on my end says GL Shader or something and black screen looked on the forum seems to me that there are tons of problems with the game

Is it alright to play the remasters if I haven't played the originals?

• Auramancer

View PostDuke Legacy, on 16 March 2017 - 12:17 PM, said:

on my end says GL Shader or something and black screen looked on the forum seems to me that there are tons of problems with the game

Means you need to update your video drivers, or your video card is far too old. (Pre-2009)

If you're on Intel, see this: http://steamcommunit...11757695816148/

Is it alright to play the remasters if I haven't played the originals?

Yes, not too much has been changed, it's pretty faithful aside from some minor additions like ledge grabbing to keep platforming from being too annoying/counter-intuitive.

Also, steer clear of the steam discussion... butthurt elitist, purist faggotry abound everywhere. The kind of shit that makes me feel embarrassed to be a classic gamer.

This post has been edited by Striker: 16 March 2017 - 05:21 PM

The Turok 2 is on sale for $14.99 on Steam and $9.99 on GOG.com. Which one should I get? I want to get the Steam version since Turok 1's level editor appeared on Steam first. The GOG.com gave me an additional 25% off on GOG.com because I got Turok 1 on there.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options