• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AMC TC Episode 2 release!  "COME GET IT!"

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostZero X. Diamond, on 24 March 2015 - 01:25 PM, said:

And not a bug, per se, but I figured I'd point out it's REALLY easy to sequence break in Island Facility.

There was a sequence? Which of the half-dozen or so paths that can be taken is the right one?
(protip: they left that hunk of sloped surface in the cliffs next to the trees there on purpose)

User is offline   Jblade 

you can also head straight to the docking bay for the Hovercraft at sea-level right from the start, but you'll have a tough-time taking out that Heavy power-suit without it (and you'll also miss a bunch of supplies, but if you're doing a speed-run or something it's a handy thing to know about it)

WTH is this surprise ??? :) insta download

Downloading right now! Waited so long for the second episode, this is going to be awesome!!! :)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I suggest everyone lowers their expectations before playing, Episode 1 is a hard act to follow. Whether you like this episode better or not, you'll probably enjoy it more if you do this.

User is offline   Forge 

Yeeaah, That's kinda misleading.

Episode one had more of a linear aspect and the maps seemed a little brighter and airier. Episode 2 is more of a walk-about, exploration and key card hunt. A good portion of the maps are a bit on the gloomier side.

It could just be the impression I got, but Episode 2 missions seem a bit bigger and longer That could be due to the running around & backtracking unlocking stuff aspect.

Yeah, I have to disagree. Episode 1 was really good, don't get me wrong. But so far, I have vastly preferred episode 2. The Hong Kong setting has been amazing to play so far, and I'm really enjoying the more open and exploratory level feel that's going on in it. As evidenced by my earlier claims about Island Facility, I've been enjoying nothing more than romping around like an idiot, trying to go places I don't think I'm supposed to go and being pleasantly surprised that more often than not, there's still something waiting there for me.

Another minor bug: In the EDF Mission version of A.B.B.A., the voxel switch on the console just past the red keycard is facing the wrong way.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostZero X. Diamond, on 24 March 2015 - 06:20 PM, said:

trying to go places I don't think I'm supposed to go and being pleasantly surprised that more often than not, there's still something waiting there for me.

that about sums it up.
Nothing like thinking, 'There's no way i'm supposed to be over here.' Just to find a stash of ammo, a scrawl on a wall, or something else neat or useful.

• Honored Donor

When I think of Episode 1 maps, I think of large, open, sort of sandbox-like maps like Millhaven and Providence. Compared to those, Episode 2 feels a tad more restricted in where you can go at any given time and hence (to me) more linear. Then again as a developer it could just be that the routes the player needs to take are crystal-clear to me and hence is more linear in feeling only. There are certainly a lot of optional areas in various maps to try and give them a more open feel. Excessive backtracking has been avoided; in cases where you are bouncing around an area finding keys, we've tried to keep those areas fairly small so the travel time is minimal. There are also maps like Island Facility which are very neat in the way that it constantly folds in on itself so that you progress to both new areas and old without actually moving back along the same path much; it's pretty impressive considering 3 people worked on that map.

User is offline   Jblade 

I think that's the developer knowledge speaking because we've been playing and replaying it for several years now :) I look at EP1 and see it as a linear experience...whereas of course you disagree. I also think this episode blows that one out of the water because while I love it, there wasn't much structure to it. The first bit had a strong plot and then the final part had some loose ends without something to tie them up, which isn't so bad in the first episode but I still felt like it didn't have a strong finish beyond 'For Providence' as people will find out that's not the case in Episode 2 and I think it ends even more strongly than it begins.

• Honored Donor

Yeah it has a strong ending without necessarily answering all the questions.
You'd expect episode 1 to have a few loose ends which would be addressed in later episodes though.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Maybe I'll finally have a reason to beat Episode 1 as well. I got stuck in it previously when I tried to beat it.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostJblade, on 24 March 2015 - 11:31 AM, said:

You can disable Ep1 missions with the filter so you know it's only EP2 missions being shown, unless I've misunderstood what you meant :P

You've not misunderstood I guess. :D But then I noticed my Ep1 missions are missing for some reasons(already enabled Ep1 missions), I just can't found them... only megabase one, I just didn't found everything else was on episode 1...that just weird...did I missed something, or should I restart a game on episode 1??

After beat the City under Siege, I try to play Xuglop Train level (with Merlijn, as I love to use him for some reasons...:P) , but can't kill the mid-boss(it's on near a RPG and show a BOSS encounter-like of life bar on HUD), I used out all 10 of RPG ammunition, but the "mini-boss" still alive with his life bar empty, and I can't kill that beast with everything I have and keep get killed, after about 30+ times of retry, I bring out PDA and abort that damn mission...
I'm not sure if there is a bug or I just use wrong weapons/character at all, was bring a M16 to that level, but no ammo for its grenade launcher because I think it should be has some ammo in it by default, but it's actually not... :(

Still try to beat the HK level...really Shadow Warrior Classic-like of level. :)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 25 March 2015 - 07:24 AM

User is offline   Forge 

I think you have to beat megabase ep 1 for more ep 1 maps to appear on the command screen.

as for the mini-boss on xuglop train, if you found the #7 slot weapon (it's laying on the floor in the car with the overhead catwalk iirc), it's kinda like the shrinker/expander in the sense that you can hit the #7 on your keyboard and it will bring up an alternate version of the weapon. The alternate version only has a few rounds, but it's pretty powerful.

User is offline   Lt.Havoc 

Well, played the first mission of Episode 2 and so far I have to say that it is very good, I just hope I did not miss anything, because I found a weapon case thing in the EAF building where you get miniaturized but opening it revealed that it was empty, so no idea. Also, those alien ships you fly after the boss battle fly really sluggish and the main weapon is really weak, I got my ass kicked a lot by the new variant of the Commander while trying to escape the exploding alien ship. Anyway, I wonder how many of the suggestions I made made it into the episode.

This post has been edited by Lt.Havoc: 25 March 2015 - 11:03 AM

User is offline   Rhaisher 

Jblade, on 24 March 2015, 10:03 PM, said:

EDIT: I just checked the cons and it's set to the wrong number, which means it won't be accessible. Damn, that'll be fixed in a patch don't worry.

What a shame… I was hyped to see it in action. :P Will it be… 'equipable' when the patch comes out or will it be like the old Riotgun-Minigun bug, where if you researched the battlelord minigun before having a Riotgun in the loadout terminal it resulted in the Riotgun-Minigun being unaccesible?

Anyway, I'm having a blast. It only gets better and better. I love the way that 'The Classic Collection' has been integrated into EP2! :)

Cheers! :P

User is offline   Jim 

If I want texture filter, is there anything I can do? Any recommanded settings?

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostLt.Havoc, on 25 March 2015 - 11:03 AM, said:

Well, played the first mission of Episode 2 and so far I have to say that it is very good, I just hope I did not miss anything, because I found a weapon case thing in the EAF building where you get miniaturized but opening it revealed that it was empty, so no idea. Also, those alien ships you fly after the boss battle fly really sluggish and the main weapon is really weak, I got my ass kicked a lot by the new variant of the Commander while trying to escape the exploding alien ship. Anyway, I wonder how many of the suggestions I made made it into the episode.

Hmm, did you use a cheat code anywhere? The only way those cases are empty is if you either have the weapon or a cheat code was used somewhere. You should be pleasantly surprised by the end part of the TC as it's fairly similar to the idea you had about Mars :P

You've not misunderstood I guess. :) But then I noticed my Ep1 missions are missing for some reasons(already enabled Ep1 missions), I just can't found them... only megabase one, I just didn't found everything else was on episode 1...that just weird...did I missed something, or should I restart a game on episode 1??

Hmm, you copied over the eduke32.cfg from your old install? I'll take a look but if you did and the episode was definitely beaten than it might be an unfortunate bug, I'll have to take a look.

If I want texture filter, is there anything I can do? Any recommanded settings?

Classic mode doesn't have a texture filter option I'm afraid...we went with that mode as it has stuff that the other render modes don't have and it matches the original visuals the best.

Will it be… 'equipable' when the patch comes out or will it be like the old Riotgun-Minigun bug, where if you researched the battlelord minigun before having a Riotgun in the loadout terminal it resulted in the Riotgun-Minigun being unaccesible?

It'll be accessible - I'll see about putting out a patch this Sunday although I hope more people play it before then since it doesn't seem to be seeing as much activity here as Episode 1 did back when it came out.

This post has been edited by Jblade: 25 March 2015 - 02:41 PM

User is offline   Rhaisher 

Jblade, on March 25 2015, 23:04 PM, said:

It'll be accessible - I'll see about putting out a patch this Sunday although I hope more people play it before then since it doesn't seem to be seeing as much activity here as Episode 1 did back when it came out.

Well, IIRC EP1 was frontpaged shortly after its launch. The AMC TC has its own sub-forum now and I guess people don't check it as often as if it were in EDuke32 & EDuke32 modifications. Do not lose heart, EP2 is sublime (the classic renderer tends to make me feel dizzy after a while, though).

• Honored Donor

A Duke4.net news article with a trailer, and some more images on Moddb would help.

User is offline   Jim 

View PostJblade, on 25 March 2015 - 02:03 PM, said:

Hmm, you copied over the eduke32.cfg from your old install? I'll take a look but if you did and the episode was definitely beaten than it might be an unfortunate bug, I'll have to take a look.

Classic mode doesn't have a texture filter option I'm afraid...we went with that mode as it has stuff that the other render modes don't have and it matches the original visuals the best.

Is it still playable tho?

• Honored Donor

View PostJim, on 25 March 2015 - 07:44 PM, said:

Is it still playable tho?

Depends on your tolerance for visual glitches. There will be a lot of ugly black stuff on sprites, and at least one level is essentially completely unplayable in polymost due to TROR (with some other levels using variable amounts). Chunks of the episode should be ok if you don't mind that, but you may need to switch over at times.

I used to dislike the software renderer as well but after a while you don't even notice its shortcomings such as the vertical distortion. You could still try it without the filtering since a lot of people think that it makes 8-bit art look unnecessarily blurry and you could a bit of the finer detail in the art.

Found another bug: In Hidden Dojo, there's a crack in the outer wall that faces the other building. Blowing it up removes the crack, but doesn't visually do anything else. I was able to jump onto an invisible ledge and get over the wall afterwards, but yeah, for a crack that large very little happened.

EDIT: Not a bug so much as a mapping flaw: there's a row of file cabinets in the computer room in the oil rig that isn't long enough for the texture; the last file cabinet cuts off before the texture ends.

EDIT #2: I really love this oil rig level, too. The atmosphere is amazing and these are the best rain effects I have ever seen in a 2.5D FPS. The first time I stepped below decks, the slamming water scared the hell out of me. The death when you jump off the rig is pretty funny, too. All in all, another one of my favorites.

This post has been edited by Zero X. Diamond: 25 March 2015 - 10:33 PM

• Honored Donor

View PostZero X. Diamond, on 25 March 2015 - 10:16 PM, said:

Found another bug: In Hidden Dojo, there's a crack in the outer wall that faces the other building. Blowing it up removes the crack, but doesn't visually do anything else. I was able to jump onto an invisible ledge and get over the wall afterwards, but yeah, for a crack that large very little happened.

Try that again, I'm willing to bet that was a very (edit: very very very) rare fluke.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 25 March 2015 - 11:55 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

We can't force classic mode on but the game will not look as intended, there will be rendering errors quite frequently and many sprites will have ugly black borders due to not having additive rendering. I don't recommend playing it that way.

EDIT #2: I really love this oil rig level, too. The atmosphere is amazing and these are the best rain effects I have ever seen in a 2.5D FPS. The first time I stepped below decks, the slamming water scared the hell out of me. The death when you jump off the rig is pretty funny, too. All in all, another one of my favorites.

Heh, I'm happy to see somebody managed to find both secret levels! The rain effect took a while to set up but I'm definitely proud of it.

Ah darn, I used to cheat to give me all weapons, because I wanted to see what sort of guns Micky has (because he is the newest addition and I already pretty much know what weapons the others used to have). Guess I have to replay the mission then without cheats or start over.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostLt.Havoc, on 26 March 2015 - 12:41 AM, said:

Ah darn, I used to cheat to give me all weapons, because I wanted to see what sort of guns Micky has (because he is the newest addition and I already pretty much know what weapons the others used to have). Guess I have to replay the mission then without cheats or start over.

Cheating also locks you out of getting the skill medals (and like EP1, beating all the main maps on Professional gives you an extended ending :) )

I dont think I will manage to play through "professional", thats a bit too tough for my taste. I already had problems fighting the Battlelords and the Cycloid Emperor in the first mission on the second skill level. I got a bit rusty, have not played a lot of games recently, at least not FPS games.

User is offline   Loke 

View PostJblade, on 26 March 2015 - 12:02 AM, said:

Heh, I'm happy to see somebody managed to find both secret levels! The rain effect took a while to set up but I'm definitely proud of it.

Yeah, the Oil Rig map was a pleasant surprise. Short and not overly challenging but very memorable. Even did a playthrough of it because I liked it so much:

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

That platforming near the water is a really cool idea, actually. Now I feel like playing the mod and maybe mapping for it, haha.

Share this topic:

• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options