Duke4.net Forums: The Original Strife: Veteran Edition - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Original Strife: Veteran Edition  "Original Topic: Night Dive Studios acquires Strife?"

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

This looks neat. Will have to pick it up. The comparison screenshots show the player in the exact same position. Does that mean you can switch into the old software renderer at will? I guess with Chocolate Doom being the base it's likely. Never even heard of this game before these forums. Will have to check it out.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Did I already reply to this thread?

Basically the best FPS game ever can be (emulated emulated) played with the ease of access of Steam.

I couldn't be more excited.

I mean holy fucking shit.

User is offline   Stabs 

yay fire nades for all!

I think this is one of my fave all time games, just released that little bit to late and got buried under proper 3d engine releases. Some really good lighting for the doom engine too, amazing job, dosn't look like a hacky sprite lighting system like all the other doom source ports.

finally replay this, all the other ports couldn't guarantee it would work 100%

hexen?

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Looks like the "Modified Chocolate Doom" engine, is the KEX Engine, which is the same modified Chocolate Doom engine that powers Doom64 EX.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 11 December 2014 - 08:42 AM

Hey folks. Check out this Terry wad in Strife for the first time! Posted Image

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 13 December 2014 - 12:11 PM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 10 December 2014 - 08:50 PM, said:

This looks neat. Will have to pick it up. The comparison screenshots show the player in the exact same position. Does that mean you can switch into the old software renderer at will? I guess with Chocolate Doom being the base it's likely. Never even heard of this game before these forums. Will have to check it out.

Yes, you can. They showed that in the trailer.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I have something dated 1995-12-19 that I hope Night Dive could give me permission to release.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Hendricks the tease Posted Image

View PostLunick, on 05 December 2014 - 10:21 PM, said:

Marking of current objectives on the auto-map.

So this will make navigation easier? I hear the maze-like level design can really slow the game down in a bad way.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMicky C, on 11 December 2014 - 04:38 PM, said:

So this will make navigation easier? I hear the maze-like level design can really slow the game down in a bad way.

You can actually do this on other Doom based engine games...

• Honored Donor

What, you mean the doors that need keys? I imagine Strife would have more complex objectives?

Btw does anyone know what the price will be?

This post has been edited by Micky C: 11 December 2014 - 06:53 PM

User is offline   VitezSC 

And this opens the door for new games based in the Strife universe:
"We always had thoughts of returning to tell more stories in that world. Who knows, we might just get the chance..."
https://twitter.com/...172112425701376

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMicky C, on 11 December 2014 - 04:38 PM, said:

Hendricks the tease Posted Image

Update: I have been granted permission to ask for permission.

• Honored Donor

I'll give you A$1000, but first you need to guess the number I'm thinking of. You have my permission to take as many guesses as you want.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMicky C, on 12 December 2014 - 04:31 AM, said:

I'll give you A$1000, but first you need to guess the number I'm thinking of. You have my permission to take as many guesses as you want.

Sure. Since I have as many guesses as I want, I'll make them all at once. I guess the set of all complex numbers. (i.e. every number known to mathematics)

User is offline   Lunick 

It seems Night Dive is releasing this during a sale of their games on Steam:
Posted Image

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

What, the Putt-Putt and Freddy Fish games? Hmm.

• Honored Donor

View PostLunick, on 12 December 2014 - 05:07 AM, said:

It seems Night Dive is releasing this during a sale of their games on Steam:

If that includes Strife itself then I'll pick it up.

View PostHendricks266, on 12 December 2014 - 05:01 AM, said:

Sure. Since I have as many guesses as I want, I'll make them all at once. I guess the set of all complex numbers. (i.e. every number known to mathematics)

Smart try, but I said you have to guess the number, not a number range. You can't change the conditions of the test to suit your purposes.

1000, and you can't deny it because you had to think of that number to write it. Now pay up or I'll sue you for breach of contract.

• Honored Donor

Gee if this keeps up the thread will have to be split :)

I don't think you can argue the case that any number ever thought of in any situation (or specifically the 1000 in this case) is the same as the exact number I thought up for the purpose of the challenge.

Btw Hendricks, what do you say about this?
http://en.m.wikipedi...iki/Quaternions

Rubbish, I could argue that any number was correct. If I said 42 your brain would process that number - so you'd think about it - and it would be done for the purpose of your challenge. Not to mention 1000 was also something you thought up for the purpose of the challenge, just not in the way you intended, regardless, your rules were ambiguous therefore, I win. :)

This post has been edited by High Treason: 12 December 2014 - 07:51 AM

View PostMicky C, on 12 December 2014 - 07:05 AM, said:

Gee if this keeps up the thread will have to be split :)

I don't think you can argue the case that any number ever thought of in any situation (or specifically the 1000 in this case) is the same as the exact number I thought up for the purpose of the challenge.

Btw Hendricks, what do you say about this?
http://en.m.wikipedi...iki/Quaternions

AFAIK once you go beyond complex numbers some important properties no longer hold so you can't really call them numbers any more.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMicky C, on 12 December 2014 - 06:56 AM, said:

Smart try, but I said you have to guess the number, not a number range. You can't change the conditions of the test to suit your purposes.

I didn't guess a range, I made a set of guesses in a batch. An uncountably infinite set, but a set nonetheless.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostMicky C, on 12 December 2014 - 06:56 AM, said:

It is physically impossible to guess the number that you're thinking of. More than physical impossibility itself, human nature is also a factor. If you knew that your number would eventually be guessed, you would not stake $2,000 without a return in the event that your number was not guessed; this would be a fool's bet.

It's out on Steam and costs $7.49 USD until the 19th.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Download faster!

User is offline   MetHy 

Honestly it looks much worse than the original.
I've never been a fan of HRPs for old FPS games. Going from low detail to high by simply remaking the textures and adding bloom and dynamic light just doesn't work, it makes everything look clean and cartoony. If you want to make it work, you need to make a whole real remake from scratch, in which the high res texture, bloom and light system make sense with the way the game world is built.

Art direction and technicality go hand in hand, taking technicality from the early 90's and mixing it with more modern art results in a strong a dichotomy, and the end result looks like it doesn't know what it is or wants to be.
For instance it emphasizes those big bland walls made of one texture that surround the level, which were not a problem before.

At least the thing is cheap, but for me it shows that even professional HRPs can't work.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 12 December 2014 - 11:37 AM

• Honored Donor

It's not a HRP though is it? As far as I can tell, no in-game textures have been replaced, just fancier lighting. I don't see what the problem is though since they give you the option of the original graphics.

View PostHigh Treason, on 12 December 2014 - 07:49 AM, said:

Rubbish, I could argue that any number was correct. If I said 42 your brain would process that number - so you'd think about it - and it would be done for the purpose of your challenge. Not to mention 1000 was also something you thought up for the purpose of the challenge, just not in the way you intended, regardless, your rules were ambiguous therefore, I win. :)

Like I said, I was thinking of a specific number at the time, a unique number, not whatever I think of at any time. Even if the rules were ambiguous, your conclusion is a much further stretch of the imagination than what I'm telling you.

In engineering we're taught that when you take a contract, you need to fulfill all the obligations, even if they're implied. To demonstrate this, the lecturer gave us a piece of paper with instructions to make a paper plane, and that the best paper plane that didn't violate the contract would win a prize. They provided us with lots of paper of varying colours.
In the end, 90% of the class instantly lost, because as it happens, the picture of the paper plane was white, on a white sheet of paper. Seeing as most of the paper provided was coloured, that's what most of the planes ended up being, hence their coloured paper planes did not fulfill the contract of a white plane.
You can easily see why nobody picked it up, but then again you can't really deny that the plane had to be white either.

View PostHendricks266, on 12 December 2014 - 10:37 AM, said:

I didn't guess a range, I made a set of guesses in a batch. An uncountably infinite set, but a set nonetheless.

This isn't like a computer program where you can run a script and iterate though the possibilities with no work. This is real life and I want to hear/read the exact, actual number I was thinking of.

User is offline   Ronin 

0, but you can keep your money.

This post has been edited by Ronan: 12 December 2014 - 04:19 PM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

With a few tweaks, it looks pretty awesome in my opinion:

Posted Image

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostMetHy, on 12 December 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:

Honestly it looks much worse than the original.
I've never been a fan of HRPs for old FPS games. Going from low detail to high by simply remaking the textures and adding bloom and dynamic light just doesn't work, it makes everything look clean and cartoony. If you want to make it work, you need to make a whole real remake from scratch, in which the high res texture, bloom and light system make sense with the way the game world is built.

Art direction and technicality go hand in hand, taking technicality from the early 90's and mixing it with more modern art results in a strong a dichotomy, and the end result looks like it doesn't know what it is or wants to be.
For instance it emphasizes those big bland walls made of one texture that surround the level, which were not a problem before.

At least the thing is cheap, but for me it shows that even professional HRPs can't work.

Chances are you can disable these effects. However I like what they did to the sky.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options