Duke4.net Forums: The Original Strife: Veteran Edition - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Original Strife: Veteran Edition  "Original Topic: Night Dive Studios acquires Strife?"

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

Not a big fan of Strife, but this is very solid release. I recommend it to every oldschool fps fans.

User is offline   Jblade 

It's not a HRP though is it? As far as I can tell, no in-game textures have been replaced, just fancier lighting. I don't see what the problem is though since they give you the option of the original graphics.

Yeah, Strife's style was already like a 90s comic so in this instance the added effects and stuff actually help make the colours stick out a bit more. I'll pick this up at some point but I'm not in a rush since although I liked parts of Strife, other certain things put me off (I missed having a workhorse gun like a shotgun)

I was surprised to see that the lighting worked so well with the game. I'm not sure exactly how they did it, but it makes the game look way better without looking out of place. The lighting doesn't really help some parts of the Bishop and Loremaster's hubs look better, but then again those areas looked like shit in the first place.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostMYHOUSE.MAP, on 13 December 2014 - 06:31 PM, said:

I was surprised to see that the lighting worked so well with the game. I'm not sure exactly how they did it, but it makes the game look way better without looking out of place. The lighting doesn't really help some parts of the Bishop and Loremaster's hubs look better, but then again those areas looked like shit in the first place.

Yeah, it fits pretty well. Reminds me of how lighting worked in Quake 1 / 2, but with sprite enemies and weapons instead of models. (In fact, it works exactly the same way. Baked raytraced lightmaps.) Kind of a nice mix of elements, if you ask me.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 15 December 2014 - 09:00 PM

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostStrikerMan780, on 10 December 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

Probably not. There's only really one of those anyway, and that's if you listen to Harris, when he asks you to get the Chalice. Don't talk to him.

EDIT: Harris, not Beldin...

Unless you're enable the classic mode, that quest won't be a dead-end anymore after you killed Harris in Strife:VE. I read a post on doomworld forum said about this.

http://www.doomworld...vb/post/1328998

But it sure feels so weird...

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostPlayer Lin, on 17 December 2014 - 07:53 AM, said:

Unless you're enable the classic mode, that quest won't be a dead-end anymore after you killed Harris in Strife:VE. I read a post on doomworld forum said about this.

http://www.doomworld...vb/post/1328998

But it sure feels so weird...

See Lunick I told you to talk to Harris.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMicky C, on 18 December 2014 - 02:14 AM, said:

See Lunick I told you to talk to Harris.

Posted Image
Already beat the game on both endings.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

All three?

User is offline   Lunick 

The third one requires no effort anyway.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Getting to the final boss is no effort?

User is offline   Lunick 

It's one step further than the other two endings. You can save and die and then reload and beat the boss for one of the other endings...

User is offline   Lunick 

http://steamcommunit...56486499559686/ Mod tools released!

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostLunick, on 28 December 2014 - 10:47 PM, said:

I am impressed for sure... I would have never believed THAT would happen even with an older game like Strife.
{Faith in mankind +1}

MrBlackCat

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I think this port really kicks ass. I like how the new features are mostly customizable and just fit right in there. I just wish they had added a little bit more content to the game or something.

User is offline   Lunick 

There's a new secret level I guess and the three new Multiplayer maps.

Mind if I bump this thread?

The Original Strife: Veteran Edition is now on GOG.com! I got it for $5.99 (I think) launch sale!

https://www.gog.com/...veteran_edition

User is offline   deuxsonic 

If you don't want to play it using the included modified Chocolate Strife, there's a mod to allow use of the new sve.wad with GZDOOM:

http://www.moddb.com...port-for-gzdoom

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

One cool thing is when using any source port the voices.wad file automatically works with the game in its classic state. At least for the ports I've tried (chocolate/GZDoom/ZDoom).

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 28 May 2016 - 08:57 AM, said:

One cool thing is when using any source port the voices.wad file automatically works with the game in its classic state. At least for the ports I've tried (chocolate/GZDoom/ZDoom).

Because the original Strife DOS exe did that and SvStrife port did too as well, it would be silly if supported source ports didn't automatically load the Voices.WAD and caused lack of voices playing ingame.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 28 May 2016 - 10:48 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Shows what I know :). I'd never heard of Strife in the old days. Not until a year or two ago, actually.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 28 May 2016 - 10:43 PM, said:

Shows what I know :). I'd never heard of Strife in the old days. Not until a year or two ago, actually.

Me too, and that's normal.I only heard about this game around 2008-2009 when I saw Strifeguy's sprite on ZDooM wiki's logo and confused who he was...

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 28 May 2016 - 10:43 PM, said:

What! :D
I never heard of Strife either until 11 years ago. When I met my boyfriend he explained what a game engine was and showed me the original game (DooM) was just skinned over for the most part to make other games. Then he showed me how different games based on the same engine could be and used Strife as the example. I saw Strife as a really early graphic Role Playing Game more so than a "mindless violence" (DooM) like game. I like(d) both at different times however. For me, Strife was like going from Chess to Tic-Tac-Toe, and sometimes you want things simpler. Vice City is my favorite game for exploring or just enjoying the environment, but Strife was huge and simple, easy to remember the layout as the areas are varied enough.
Honestly, I haven't ever played Strife again though. :D

CatNapDreams

This post has been edited by CatNapDreams: 30 May 2016 - 01:07 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I wish my wife was as into games. As it is, she'll only go as far as The Sims, Minecraft the odd time (which is a wonder because FPS games make her dizzy), and Super Smash Bros. I tried to get her into adventures at least but that didn't take either. She did like Maniac Mansion, though (more than Day of the Tentacle, strangely!). To this day she's the only one out of the two of us that's beaten it, I'm ashamed to say.

Still, I wish she liked RPGs and FPSs but that's a little too hardcore I guess.

View PostPlayer Lin, on 28 May 2016 - 10:42 PM, said:

and SvStrife port did too as well, it would be silly if supported source ports didn't automatically load the Voices.WAD and caused lack of voices playing ingame.

I just assumed (wrongly) that the voices were part of the veteran edition only. I guess that wouldn't make sense since they're low quality.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 29 May 2016 - 07:32 AM, said:

I just assumed (wrongly) that the voices were part of the veteran edition only. I guess that wouldn't make sense since they're low quality.

Yeah, I'm glad you noticed that. :) The VE version didn't torched anything in Strife1.WAD and Voices.WAD, they're still identical as original DOS v1.31 release, and put their enhanced features in SVE.WAD only(and of course, SVE.WAD only working with the S:VE port).

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 30 May 2016 - 05:31 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I think I had not heard about Strife in the 90s and discovered the teaser demo sometime in mid-2000s. It felt pretty novel and I liked it a lot. I read some reviews of the full game, including the Super Adventures in Gaming one and a lengthy playthrough in several forum posts at RPG codex.

Later I bought the Veteran Edition from GOG but only got the idea/mood to play it around a week ago.

For now I must say that I have mixed feelings and generally a rather underwhelming impression.

Conceptually Strife was sure ahead of its time, but also way over its own head in how some playing mechanics are implemented. I've got to the quest where you need to blow the power crystal and so far combat has not been very interesting or engaging. Also the whole stealth system seems to hang on a very thin thread of suspended disbelief, and at the same time makes you quite overpowered. You can sneak around and take out a lot of acolytes, overseers and other guards by punching them without the alar being raised (apparently if they shoot you in return it does not count as gunfire), which also seems pointless because if the game wants you to fight it will turn on the alarm in the respective sections of a map no matter what you do. You were not authorised in that area or whatever.

Another thing that bothers me, albeit to a much lesser extent, is how the game's prologue/starting quest makes so little sense compared to the teaser version. It's almost as if they wrote the teaser first and then decided to do something different for the full game but had it rushed. While the demo quests feel rather solid their full version counterparts barely hold together. The chalice quest is now optional and does not make any difference whatsoever (you get some extra crossbow bolts plus stuff from the stash, for which you don't even need to run the quest at all I think), while the main story of the player getting into the Front lacks credibility because of the way he gets the transmitter, leaving no reason for Blackbird to "take quite a shine" on the player as Macil says -- unlike the demo where he broke into the Governor's mansion with her guidance and downed several Cursaders with stolen weaponry before being accepted into the Front.

The Veteran Edition sure takes advantage of modern rendering options but to me it also makes it more obvious how limited the level design is in the original game. Many indoor areas are repetitive samey corridors with stone walls, the crate maze in the dock/warehouse area is -- well, let's say it's not as impressive as it probably was back in 1996.

Also what's with the NPC sprites? A single set of frames for every single character, palette swapped. I mean, surely they could make at least the generic Order officer sprite sheet for the governor, prison warden and the judge, seeing as how they are shown wearing some kind of uniform/tunic on the portraits, while their in-game sprites are still the same medieval-ish peasant. It'd not like there wasn't enough space on the CD, or was it for memory constraints?

User is offline   jkas789 

I'm not a fan of strife, but I have been thinking of trying it out again. What is the best way to play it this days. Is it the Nightdive port or is it using something like GZDoom?

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Never played the Nightdive port, but GZD works just fine. Supports Veteran Edition, too.

Thanks, will use GZDoom then. I asked because I remember the PC version of the nightdive port being spotty at times.

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View PostNightFright, on 08 September 2021 - 12:55 PM, said:

Never played the Nightdive port, but GZD works just fine. Supports Veteran Edition, too.

Actually, GZDoom doesn't support many of the "enhancements" present in the Veteran Edition. I don't all of the features, but at least 3 features I know that aren't supported in GZDoom are the objective markers on map/crosshair, the fixing of the softlocks/unwinnable situations and the rendering/visual features like baked lighting for outdoor areas, slight weapon screenshake (an effort by devs to make weapons feel slightly punchy) and software mode style sprite clipping.

With that being said however, I do suffer from framepacing/stutter issues when using the Veteran Edition. I am also not a fan of the sunny outdoor lighting in VE (I vastly prefer the original moody outdoor look). Not to mention that I like to play Strife with my personal mod where I slightly modded weapons to make them more punchy and also less clunky (mainly the grenade launcher and the flamethrower) and since I made it in Decorate, I can't use it in VE and can only use it in GZDoom.

I am personally kind of torn being VE and using GZDoom. I would recommend jkas789 to try VE a try first and if they don't like it, then use GZDoom.

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 09 September 2021 - 11:25 AM

View PostReaperAA, on 09 September 2021 - 11:24 AM, said:

Actually, GZDoom doesn't support many of the "enhancements" present in the Veteran Edition. I don't all of the features, but at least 3 features I know that aren't supported in GZDoom are the objective markers on map/crosshair, the fixing of the softlocks/unwinnable situations and the rendering/visual features like baked lighting for outdoor areas, slight weapon screenshake (an effort by devs to make weapons feel slightly punchy) and software mode style sprite clipping.

With that being said however, I do suffer from framepacing/stutter issues when using the Veteran Edition. I am also not a fan of the sunny outdoor lighting in VE (I vastly prefer the original moody outdoor look). Not to mention that I like to play Strife with my personal mod where I slightly modded weapons to make them more punchy and also less clunky (mainly the grenade launcher and the flamethrower) and since I made it in Decorate, I can't use it in VE and can only use it in GZDoom.

I am personally kind of torn being VE and using GZDoom. I would recommend jkas789 to try VE a try first and if they don't like it, then use GZDoom.

I have already tried out VE actually, and I just can't stand the stuttering. Funnily enough, yet again the switch port is absolutely fine IME. It's just that for whatever reason the pc port runs like ass.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options