Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread  "Post and discuss new or updated textures/models for the HRP here"

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Trooper Tom, on 24 March 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

Could you be so kind as to revert the defs back to the old clip for the time being? I don't really know how to find the old def. Thanks
Done. Btw. old versions of single files can be retrieved easily via Tortoise SVN's context menus.

Marked, on 25 March 2012 - 03:20 AM, said:

If we ever decide to include them again I have them here.
They are still in the HRP. Only their definitions have been disabled.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 25 March 2012 - 04:24 AM

User is offline   Spiker 

A few reasons why I would bring them back.

- If they are not brought back they will probably never be remade.
- probably you can't use authors' pictures without their permission
- I think that HRP creators fit there perfectly, after all they made it look this way.
- it was a sort of a joke and I think these posters serve this purpose well.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Ken opposed to having them in, and he made a pretty good point. This would essentially equate to remove these people from the credits; I regret proposing to overwrite the original posters from Faces of Death and Pigsty. If you really want your face on a wall somewhere, it should be in a new HRP-specific map. The idea of having the Duke Plus lobby have a few levels dedicated to showcasing effects and calming vain HRP contributors was then proposed, but nobody actually volunteered to do the mapping.

User is offline   Spiker 

Good point but nothing is really removed there. The HRP artists' posters are only there if you run the HRP and if you don't then you see the guys who worked on the original game. I never really wanted to have my face in. But it seems logical to me that the HRP and the original game can have different posters because they were made by different people. I don't see how could this "remove someone from the credits" or diminish their work in any way. If he really said that that's pretty pathetic but I don't really care, do as you wish. I would put them in.

Those weren't his words, no. He voiced his opinion in a long-lost PM on the 3DR boards; I had my PM archived somewhere but of course I can't find them now. In any case, I now agree with his position; we should probably try to find high-res pictures of the developers if we can, if anything.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Other than in Faces Of Death the Pigsty pics aren't associated with a name and barely recognizable anyway. I think replacing them wouldn't hurt anyone. But before that someone should be asked if he wants his hobbies updated...
Maybe not all original developers will want their highres-pics (old or new ones) published in this pack. You'd have to ask each one IMO. Some of them might not like the outcome...

This post has been edited by LeoD: 25 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

User is offline   Spiker 

Well they agreed to have their pics in back then and they agreed for HRP and the remake of the game. In my opinion this should be enough. Also I don't a reason why would they oppose, even if you write something funny in there everyone knows it's a joke. Nice attempt BTW :)

LOL, priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes I totally agree I mean these guys made the game everyone here has been obsessed with during the past 15 years but they let us down with the sequel so let's make fun of their appearance lolol. Besides it's not like it's pretty much the only two people that can C&D the HRP oh wait you're idiots.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

What's all the commotion, anyway? They don't like it, so we don't do it. As simple as that. Considering what happened to other Duke projects (especially recently), we can be glad we got (and still have) permission to do the HRP stuff at all. No need to piss people off needlessly. Besides, it's not THAT great to be seen in HRP, you know. xD
Also, goal of the HRP project is to recreate all tiles as faithfully to the originals as possible. Putting HRP team faces there is hardly faithful, at least as far as I can see.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 26 March 2012 - 06:23 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Early days.
Attached Image: sculpt2.jpg

User is offline   Spiker 

Heh, you like playing with people by making them wonder what it is :) Good I have seen the front picture. You are working on a lot of projects recently. I hope will finish them soon (Usually it takes a year or more for you, heh).

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Due to a few things changing over the course of the last year, this should be a bit faster.

On the subject of the wall, I tend to agree that we should not remove pics of the original creators of the game from said game. There was a pic somewhere of the whole original Duke crew posed in the middle of 3DR's front lobby, I don't know what resolution it is, or if you could get all the faces you need from it. I know we are not supposed to do this, but it may be best to use the original images and clean them up. I think this would be overall the best option, unless some of you are particularly good with a painting app, or we can find good, clear photos of all the original faces.

Plagman, on 25 March 2012 - 06:50 AM, said:

... calming vain HRP contributors.

:)

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I keep forgetting to mention this, but I've never seen that projected texture in E1L1 with the grating against the floor/walls, even though the texture exists in the HRP. Is this supposed to work?

I think you are referring to this pic. I had started making an attempt at updating the heads in the spacesuits but the current model moved where the name plates would have gone and then got sidetracked by life.

Attached Image: duketeam1200.jpg

Tea Monster, on 27 March 2012 - 06:43 AM, said:

Due to a few things changing over the course of the last year, this should be a bit faster.

On the subject of the wall, I tend to agree that we should not remove pics of the original creators of the game from said game. There was a pic somewhere of the whole original Duke crew posed in the middle of 3DR's front lobby, I don't know what resolution it is, or if you could get all the faces you need from it. I know we are not supposed to do this, but it may be best to use the original images and clean them up. I think this would be overall the best option, unless some of you are particularly good with a painting app, or we can find good, clear photos of all the original faces.

:)

MusicallyInspired, on 29 March 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

I keep forgetting to mention this, but I've never seen that projected texture in E1L1 with the grating against the floor/walls, even though the texture exists in the HRP. Is this supposed to work?

Yes, it works fine; however, I just saw a post from Diaz that says that shadows and projected textures don't work on his system with an ATI card, so that would be the explanation. This is unfortunate, as I know for sure this was all working when I implemented it (bar a few driver bugs that I worked around). A driver update must have caused them to go away again.. do you get any PR error messages in your log?

User is offline   Diaz 

Yes, ATI drivers are probably to blame. There's not a single driver update that doesn't break anything, unfortunately. And they have been updating their OpenGL drivers a lot due to id software's Rage...

Good news is that it's easy to "roll back" drivers for a specific game, by putting atioglxx.dll from older drivers into the game directory. I'll see if I can try that...

This post has been edited by Diaz: 30 March 2012 - 01:26 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

But I don't have an ATI card. I switched to NVidia quite a while back now. GTX 460. Is it based on anything in the game? Does a light switch have to be on or something? I guess not. It's just a flickering light, but no texture. And nothing in the console or log referencing it at all.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 30 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

The lights are part of the maphacks; it doesn't look like you're playing the lit version of E1L1 right now.

• The Sarien Encounter

Oh but I am. There are lights in the map generated by the maphacks. I periodically download the HRP svn every now and then to stay up to date. I assume the maphacks included are the latest ones.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 30 March 2012 - 10:52 PM

Maybe your ambient light setting is just so high that you can't see regular lights in high shaded rooms? Try r_ambientlight 0.25 in the same area.

• The Sarien Encounter

Everything gets darker but still no projection.

Do you have r_pr_shadows off for some reason?

• The Sarien Encounter

Enabled.

What about inside the first secret apartment? Do the projections work there? There should be 4 window-shaped lights on the wall.

You don't happen to be using an 1.3D GRP, do you?

Just to be clear, this is how these areas are supposed to look:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just ignore the crazy contrast; it seems something is going crazy between helix's PNG writing code and how Picasa reads it. Maybe there's a gamma field that we're not initializing properly or something, other image viewers are fine.

User is offline   0815Jack 

hi plagman......nice idea with the screenshot cause with my setup the room looks like this:

Posted Image

any idea whats wrong?

PS: I have an Geforce 550Ti

User is offline   XxMiltenXx 

@Plagman: When I set my ambient level to 0.25, it'll look like your screen. But if I leave it on 1, it looks like on 0815Jack's screenshot. Though changing that ambient level to that low setting, makes everything far away extremely dark and on going close it looks like 0815Jack's again.
Though the shadow mentioned by 0815Jack is working for me.

I am using an Nvidia GeForce GTS250

I don't think there's anything wrong with that shot other than the ambient light setting being different as XxMiltenXx pointed out...

User is offline   Mark 

The reason they look different is because you can still see the original sector shading in the lighter pic and only the Polymer lighting in the darker pic.

EDIT: I just noticed the bumpier wall texture on Plagman's pic and the missing calendar on the other one.( unless it got stretched off screen)

This post has been edited by Marked: 01 April 2012 - 05:25 AM

Share this topic:

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options