Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread  "Post and discuss new or updated textures/models for the HRP here"

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostDeeperThought, on 16 February 2012 - 03:11 PM, said:

Trying to combine both HRPs into one would be just about the most horrible thing imaginable, not to mention impossible without major source code changes.

I disagree. No source code changes are necessary in EDuke32. Although HRP development might benefit from things like ifdef in DEF files. The current number of download files related to Polymost HRP is misleading. The only one really needed is the override pack. In fact the two HRP versions are not really split anyway. (Full Polmost HRP: 386MIB / override pack for Polymer: 32MIB only) Since Polymost HRP isn't developed actively any longer, its maintenance mostly means cleaning up after repository changes. So there wouldn't be much danger of bloating the HRP. Unless the current HRP maintainers decide to actively search and delete anything which is not needed for the Polymer part in order to save a few megabyte from the download size. A set of Polymost HRP DEFs in parallel (put into the repo or the override pack) would provide a working Polymost HRP within the Polymer HRP unless someone deletes stuff. My today's English isn't good enough to explain better, so I'll stop for now.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Well apparently there has been a whole shitload of stuff going on with "ifdef" commands and "override packs" that I haven't been paying the slightest attention to, so you can disregard my previous post. I'll just mind my own business and quietly wait and see what happens. :lol:

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

The Polymost HRP will be made to look good in Polymost. Due to the way the renderer works, the Polymer pack should look completely different. The Polymer pack will have plain diffuse maps and the Polymost pack should have baked-in lighting for individual textures.

To work correctly, and to look good, there should be nearly a completely separate pack for each renderer. If you load Polymer textures in Polymost, they will - by and large - look bland and lifeless. If you use Polymost textures in Polymer, there will be fake shadows that will fight with the 'actual' ones created by the renderer. For each texture YMMV, but that is the general way it works.

if you want to bundle both together, then no problem, just be aware of how it works.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 16 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

For now, I guess we can continue this way: LeoD takes care of the Polymost optimization while the rest can focus on keeping Polymer up-to-date (while assisting LeoD whenever needed, ofc). As long as we don't get problems with this system, I guess we can hang on until the port allows for a better solution.

In general, I am pretty grateful and also happy (as are probably many others) that LeoD takes care of this issue because it's certainly some work to keep Polymost contents up-to-date, and some stuff simply cannot be used or needs conversion. Another proof that this community works since there is always someone who is willing to invest time and effort for the sake of everyone. :lol:

*EDIT*
While we are at it, I also encountered several (Polymer ?) texture alignment issues within the game, one of them being a picture in "Bank Roll", to be precise the one you could open in the bank office after the laser tripbomb trap. Another one would be the picture in "Fahrenheit" which you can also open (apartment near the start of the level where you blast away the bottles to find a secret behind it). Reminds me of old issues we had with the E1L5 San Andreas Vault sign, maybe this is related.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 17 February 2012 - 06:56 AM

User is offline   Piterplus 

I would like to express big thanks to NightFright , Plagman and other pals who supports "Duke project" and still contribute new ideas and artistic efforts.
I keep watching this forum with interest.

This post has been edited by Piterplus: 18 February 2012 - 04:38 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Indeed!

• The Truth is in here

We all depend on contributions. There are times when people don't feel like submitting something, or they have other obligations. Somehow, you need to fill those gaps until things get better again. Unfortunately, I can't do much more than trying to motivate a bit, comment on developments or, more importantly, upload new files on Duke4.org webspace and keep the HRP website up-to-date. We have many talented people over here, and IMHO some of the best this great game can possibly have. It deserves to be kept alive, and it's always a pleasure to see new content showing up to add. I am confident that some progress can be made again soon and that more missing textures/models may get added. We have the best port, the best highres content (including music) and the best community. The project has come far, but ofc it's still not completed. We're counting on you guys to help finishing this. If you check the to-do list, there is really not THAT much left to do, especially regarding episodes 2 and 3. What we need now especially are people willing to get working on the missing models so that the last sprites disappear from the game. Won't happen over night, but it's not like we are in a hurry. :lol:

*EDIT FEB 19*
HRP Update Pack v5.1.295 has been released. Changes: Two new Ep.4 textures and FOV fix for shotgun by Spiker. Enjoy!

This post has been edited by NightFright: 19 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

I think the ZIPs should be renamed some day to be loaded in correct order automatically. Having eduke in the file names is obsolete nowadays, either.
--> hrp_polymer.zip, hrp_polymer_upd.zip, hrp_polymost_override[-version].zip, music_sc55.zip, music_adlib.zip, voxel_pack.zip, ...
..and the DukePlus link on the download page needs to be updated.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 19 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

• The Truth is in here

Yeah well, that might be taken into consideration for future HRP releases. Right now, most names are chosen in order to fit current HRP name, so it would be too much effort to change everything just because of file names. Anyway, it's a good idea and hopefully will help to avoid confusion and problems in the future.

User is offline   Spiker 

Hhmm I've decided to do something about Tea Monster's pistol because he's alwyas busy or whoknowswhat. I had to edit the textures and animate this. I've decided to leave the old hands for the time being because the ones used with some other weapons looked terrible no matter what. Without some texture editing I don't see them used with this pistol. If nothing works one can always improve the old texture or so. Anyway here's a preview, It's already in the SVN.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Spiker: 21 February 2012 - 12:17 PM

• Polymancer

Wow, that looks pretty good! Thanks for fixing that!

• The Truth is in here

OK, enough is enough! Have some serious rep, man (both you and Tea Monster actually since he made the model in the first place)!

Spiker is really in for some surprises these days. :lol: The improvement compared to the old model is HUGE. Much closer to the sprite! Like it a lot! There is only one issue, you are probably aware of it: During shell ejection, the barrel compartment won't open. I dunno if that's not implemented with the model or just a def problem, but that's really the only thing which is still missing. Other than that, a great contribution!

This post has been edited by NightFright: 21 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

User is offline   Spiker 

View PostNightFright, on 21 February 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

There is only one issue, you are probably aware of it: During shell ejection, the barrel compartment won't open.

Hmmm I will examine that tomorrow.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

Looks good, but can't you guys reposition it more like the original sprite? You really couldn't see his hand much until he reloaded with the original sprites. I think that's the only big problem I have with the pistol.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

That looks great; I agree with NUKEMDAVE on the vertical position. Also, can you make it such that the barrel looks even more isometric like the original sprite? Right now the tip looks a little bit narrower, but it's already way better than the old model.

• Polymancer

The tapering can be most likely be fixed by either moving it back to the zero point a bit or changing the FOV.

User is offline   fgsfds 

It looks more like sprite with fov 320.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0008.png

This post has been edited by nogames: 21 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

• Polymancer

If you adjust the vertical positioning, it should be golden. I'm not near my computer at the moment.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Just out of curiosity is that the old hand model or the new one?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

He said it was the old hand because the new ones look terrible with it.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Wow, i am blind. :lol:

• The Sarien Encounter

Very nice!

• The Truth is in here

I'd say apply this FOV fix and figure out the missing shell ejection animation, and we have our new pistol.

User is offline   Spiker 

View PostNightFright, on 21 February 2012 - 10:50 PM, said:

I'd say apply this FOV fix and figure out the missing shell ejection animation, and we have our new pistol.

Done:)

Pity the animation is smoother in Polymost though :lol:

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Don't attempt making it better for Polymer, when I find and fix the animation bug it should look exactly the same as Polymost did, since that's where the original smoothing code was developed.

• The Truth is in here

I assume this will fix the babe animations as well, then? Actually didn't know this issue affects animations in general.

• Polymancer

I wasn't aware of this either.

User is offline   Mia Max 

Hallo!

Has anybody else noticed the weird normal map on texture 749?

It looks like it would swim.
I know that this is how normal map works, but this tile should be nearly flat and you even can't see the normal very well, it just looks like it swims on floors and walls.

EDIT: I noticed that there's an other version of tile 749. 749_d seems to be original.
Is there a way to use the other version instead of 749_d?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 0749_d.png
  • Attached Image: 0749.png

This post has been edited by Mia Max: 29 February 2012 - 07:27 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

749_d is the diffuse map, isn't it?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 29 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

User is offline   Mia Max 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 29 February 2012 - 08:35 AM, said:

749_d is the diffuse map, isn't it?

No, it is the usual pal 0 texture:

texture 749 {
pal 0 { file "highres/textures/0749_d.png" }
normal { file "highres/textures/0749_n.png" parallaxbias 0.0 parallaxscale 0.05 }
specular { file "highres/textures/0749_s.png" }
detail { file "highres/detail/wood_v3.png" xscale 0.3 yscale 0.15 }
}

Maybe a mistake was done?

This post has been edited by Mia Max: 29 February 2012 - 08:47 AM

Share this topic:

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options