Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread  "Post and discuss new or updated textures/models for the HRP here"

User is offline   Mark 

View PostNightFright, on 01 February 2012 - 12:29 AM, said:

I have modified it a bit by adding (much) more sophisticated nipples (before, it looked more like a robot xD)

Did you enjoy tweaking her nipples? :D

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I hope that was a rhethorical question. xD But well, it just looks better this way. From an aesthetical point of view. :D

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

New slimebabe added to SVN (build 289).
I have modified it a bit by adding (much) more sophisticated nipples (before, it looked more like a robot xD) and red glow for the eyes.

I feel like adding some tnitpicking:
Your modifications work quite well since from a certain angle I wasn't sure if it's a girl at all :D
But all in all the new model is more a step sideways than an obvious improvement and not ready for HRP yet IMO.
While the boobs and hair look more natural, the body (abdomen, belly button, knees, toes) isn't detailed enough and that green thing is too reflective.

I will work on a new XXX Pack skin now, I guess. :D

Although the original babe is topless, I think in high resolution a bra would fit better into the game. I'd leave the current version for XXX-lite. Speaking of XXX(-full), since the girl is too pale to be Brazilian, the model isn't XXX-pack ready yet. :D
Please do not delete the old 603's from the XXX-packs, otherwise Polymost HRP compatibility would be broken.

Btw, Micky C has made some new E4 maphacks recently which you might want to add to the repo.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 603art.jpg
  • Attached Image: 603old.jpg
  • Attached Image: 603new.jpg
  • Attached Image: 603wtf.jpg

This post has been edited by LeoD: 01 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

And a glowmap for the eyes might also be nice (but I can add that by myself, I think).

*EDIT*
adding red glow for the eyes.\

...why? The original art did not have red eyes. In fact, most of the uses of glow maps in the HRP do not match the original art. Somehow, every enemy has its eyes in a glow map when it should only be the Pig Cop, RPV, Pig Tank, Sentry Drone, Battlelord, and Protector Drone.

User is offline   Rellik 

^I would say make the red eye glow fairly subtle, perhaps 50% transparancy on the glow map or something.

Regarding the nudity, I would suggest that rather than a bra, how about a single green tentacle curling up an arm and wrapping around the breast area. That way it keeps the original feel and keeps the puritans happy...:/

Don't forget to do a pantyless version for the XXX pack. And hey, I'm sure Sebab would appreciate a full on tentacle rape version too :D :D

Well, you'll have to make those modifications yourself. Unfortunately, with certain other obligations I have in addition to real life, I don't have much time to work on the babe models. I'll make the .blend files available soon if anyone else wants to play with what I started.

• The Truth is in here

The new model might not be perfect, but with some tweaks to the skin, a normalmap for the body and maybe some more stuff, it will be better than the version we were using before. I will check the original babe sprites again later regarding glowing eyes in general. But well, at least the sitting and standing/tied babes have red eyes. Dunno if they were glowing in the original, but at least it seems consistent. On 603, you can't see it because hair is covering the eyes, but I think it can be assumed they'd be red, too.

If someone is able to provide a skin with a bra added, we can put that into SVN and move the current skin into XXX Lite as suggested. And don't worry, I won't remove the old babe skins from the XXX Packs. As long as they are named differently than the new ones, it's not a problem to keep them anyway since there's no conflict with file versions (no modified defs are used).

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 February 2012 - 02:51 AM

User is offline   0815Jack 

View PostLeoD, on 01 February 2012 - 03:59 PM, said:

Although the original babe is topless, I think in high resolution a bra would fit better into the game. I'd leave the current version for XXX-lite. Speaking of XXX(-full), since the girl is too pale to be Brazilian, the model isn't XXX-pack ready yet. :P

View PostRellik, on 01 February 2012 - 10:36 PM, said:

Regarding the nudity, I would suggest that rather than a bra, how about a single green tentacle curling up an arm and wrapping around the breast area. That way it keeps the original feel and keeps the puritans happy...:/

Don't forget to do a pantyless version for the XXX pack. And hey, I'm sure Sebab would appreciate a full on tentacle rape version too :D :D

i have to disagree about the nudity thing..... the babe should stay topless like in the sprite without any bra or additional tentacles. if there are really people who cant deal with nipples then maybe pasties can be added.....

in the xxx-pack you can do the really nasty stuff :D

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Shouldn't it just be like in the original game?

User is offline   Rellik 

3DR got away with the side boob since there weren't any other possible views since it was a 2d sprite, a better question would be, what would they have done if they had proper 3d model support? (or at least if they had done a multi-angle sprite)

So do we exercise a little self censorship in order to keep the "OMG nuditty" puritans at bay, or do we keep it like the original sprite?

• The Truth is in here

It's a kinda ridiculous conversation, but well: You could add a really tiny bra that just covers the most important parts. This way, you could still say that from the side, you don't see that much so it is close to the sprite. 3DR probably would have done the babe in a different way if there had been models in the game back then, so I guess it's some "artistic liberty" you are allowed to apply. :D

Actually, I only use the XXX Lite pack on my own, I just think full nudity isn't required in the game. But people have different taste, and that's why we have different packs to make everyone happy. ^^

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Don't forget to do a pantyless version for the XXX pack.

That's easy I guess: Replace 0603_uw_d.png by a fully transparent image.

Don't forget to do a pantyless version for the XXX pack. And hey, I'm sure Sebab would appreciate a full on tentacle rape version too :P :D

Better spare that for the YYY-pack. :D

View PostRellik, on 02 February 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

So do we exercise a little self censorship in order to keep the "OMG nuditty" puritans at bay, or do we keep it like the original sprite?

If it was about the puritans I'd say let's ask Sebab for doing the babes to scare them off for good. :D

View PostNightFright, on 02 February 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

It's a kinda ridiculous conversation, but well: You could add a really tiny bra that just covers the most important parts. This way, you could still say that from the side, you don't see that much so it is close to the sprite. 3DR probably would have done the babe in a different way if there had been models in the game back then, so I guess it's some "artistic liberty" you are allowed to apply. :P

Without that liberty the whole HRP could not exist.

View PostNightFright, on 02 February 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

IActually, I only use the XXX Lite pack on my own, I just think full nudity isn't required in the game. But people have different taste, and that's why we have different packs to make everyone happy. ^^

Yeah, everyone has his own opinion where full, partial, or no (added) nudity is appropriate. Since no fiddling with DEFs is necessary, it's easy to compile an own pack out of Full and Lite like I did. Topless cheerleaders don't make much sense for example.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostLeoD, on 02 February 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

Topless cheerleaders don't make much sense for example.

Exactly, nobody would be able to concentrate on the game.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostTea Monster, on 02 February 2012 - 04:52 PM, said:

Exactly, nobody would be able to concentrate on the game.
If the models were that good, I'd reconsider my choice. :D

• The Truth is in here

When there's something bad in the pack, there's always a chance someone is so frustrated about it that (s)he creates a better replacement for it. That's what this is all about anyway. xD

Anyway, I am actually already finished with modifying current XXX Packs. The current 603 skin is also included in the lite pack, so if anyone can provide a bra version of the skin (shouldn't be that hard to do) for HRP SVN, feel free. :D

Oh, and while we are at it... maybe someone has the ice skin from HRP in higher res? Current one is 256x256, and resizing that to 1024x1024 to cover current babe skins to make ice versions kinda sucks.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostNightFright, on 03 February 2012 - 12:49 AM, said:

When there's something bad in the pack, there's always a chance someone is so frustrated about it that (s)he creates a better replacement for it. That's what this is all about anyway. xD

How do you explain the shotgun then?

• The Truth is in here

View PostReaperMan, on 03 February 2012 - 11:25 AM, said:

How do you explain the shotgun then?

The shotgun is the exception to everything. xD No idea why it's so hard to recreate it, but one attempt has failed miserably already. Maybe it's because of the angle (to align it properly with the lowres muzzleflash, but you can hide everything anyway if you need) or the limitation for the pump action animation frames. Most of the HUD weapon models we have are really nice, but the pistol and the shotgun are still sticking out in a negative way. A new pistol is currently WIP, and I sincerely hope that the shotgun eventually gets the same treatment.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 04 February 2012 - 09:04 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

The shotgun is why Plagman added the fov parameter.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

And because now it is possible to have a different FOV for HUD and I think even frames of HUD models, a good shotgun is possible...

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Yeah, though animation is still going to be a big problem. We can't have a truly great shotgun or quick kick until we have a way to decouple animation from ART frames.

• The Truth is in here

On a side note, maybe this can be done by someone:

Since the voxel pack is getting along, people found that several HRP models have a wrong alignment. This is a problem since the voxels are all aligned properly (like the original sprites), and they use the same maphacks. Since these were written for HRP models, we should correct the models (and the maphacks, respectively) so that it looks correct in both packs.

Hendricks266 has already compiled a list with what needs to be corrected. I just added the keycards.

View PostHendricks266, on 01 October 2011 - 03:53 PM, said:

Here's a list of what needs to be done to what:

Rotate 90° to the right (counter-clockwise):

Devastator
Freezer
Freezer ammo
Shotgun ammo
Space suit

Rotate by 180° (reverse direction):
Pistol
Shotgun
Keycard <-- added by me, it seems they face the wrong way in HRP, too

Rotate 90° to the left (clockwise):
RPG
Shrinker
Expander
Shrinker ammo
Expander ammo

It's about simple edits of the affected models. Maphacks can then be modified, and after that all alignments would look correct with either voxels and models.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 05 February 2012 - 01:26 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Changing the models themselves would throw a lot of user maps made for the HRP out of whack with models facing wrong directions. Isn't it just best to stick with the old maphacks?

• Polymancer

A lot of the modellers who created those are no longer active. In some cases it will be simple to rotate them. In others - not so. I personally think they should all be the right way around - just because it's the 'right' way.

Misfit Model 3D would be a good candidate for rotation as it reads in and out the MD3 format.

• The Truth is in here

Well, the other solution would be that the voxel pack gets its own maphacks - or they actually imitate the mistakes from HRP, which probably isn't a good idea. xD These were seemingly small mistakes in the past, but in the present there are some annoying consequences.

A few misaligned voxels don't seem to be such a big deal, but it would be great if maphacks worked for both models and voxels.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 05 February 2012 - 02:09 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

It's not the maphacks fault... but I think the maphacks should be released with the correct directions, since the models can be updated at any time.

This post has been edited by Fox: 05 February 2012 - 02:13 AM

• Polymancer

Attached File  rotatedmodels90.zip (55.7K)
Number of downloads: 216

The 90 rotated ones.

• Polymancer

Rotated 180 - as with the 90 degree ones, I've added an '_r' to the file name to avoid confusion.
Attached File  rotated180.zip (55.71K)
Number of downloads: 208

• Polymancer

Rotated -90
Attached File  rotated-90.zip (51.09K)
Number of downloads: 218

• The Truth is in here

Cool, that was fast. :D I'll go through the maphacks and adapt them, shouldnt be too hard since they are commented well.

• Polymancer

I checked a couple of them and it seems that they have frame names unchanged. If there are any problems, let me know.

Share this topic:

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options