Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

TerminX, on 30 March 2019 - 01:12 PM, said:

The problem in the video is fixed in r7470.

thanks. any idea about the ram usage?

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 30 March 2019 - 01:32 PM

another one in e2l11

other bugs, tested on r7470

- mirrors don't reflect shrinker or freezethrower.
-rockets go though most walls.
-pipebombs bounce off enemies really weird, they don't stop moving until they hit a wall. happens when the pipe hits the "head" of the enemy ( i guess the top of the sprite)
- in e1l3, going in the hole in the wall of the cell instakills you at certain point, same when you come from the other side after blowing the wall.
-again in e1l3, when you're outside (after using the yellow keycard) you can't hit the walls at the sides with rockets (there's a crack near a window) they go through.

that's all i could find in episode 1, still, it wasn't a 100% playthough so i may have missed a few

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 30 March 2019 - 05:08 PM

episode 1

the level music continues during the cutscene after killing the battlelord, i don't know if this is intentional but the other ones don't.

episode 2

in e2l6 the air duct near the blue keycard (there's a camera just over it) became very difficult to enter from that side.
in e2l11 you can still push the monsters that are on the other loop by walking into them.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 30 March 2019 - 07:22 PM

User is offline   Mariusz 

Still, / eduke version 7470 / you can not play Bedrone map.
I am asking you to fix it.
The last working version of eduke32 is 7395

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Rocket clipping is very broken in 7470. Just walk around and shoot some on on the street in E1L1 and you'll see. Half the time the rockets just disappear into walls without exploding at all. When they do explode, sometimes the explosion animation turns upside down about halfway through...when this happens it seems to be doing that instead of spawning the EXPLOSION2BOT

in e3l5 you can skip the entire level like this

(yeah i know that's world tour but i just did the same in eduke)

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 31 March 2019 - 09:14 AM

Lazy Dog, on 31 March 2019 - 09:13 AM, said:

in e3l5 you can skip the entire level like this

(yeah i know that's world tour but i just did the same in eduke)

I think it is just Build engine, this is possible on the N64 version aswell, you don't even need to jump and crouch, just stay crouched and spam jump, i've used this a lot trying to find secret places against walls and mirrors, unfortunately i got "squished" countless times Posted Image.

pipe bouncing off pigcop (at least i think, it doesn't bounce that way after he's dead)

In Freeway entering/ exiting the terminator easter egg area is too hard, you need to crouch and jump like crazy or use a jetpack

standing near forcefields doesnt seem to hurt you anymore, at least the ones that should. i compared it with and old version

protector drone aiming may be broken, they cant seem to hit me even when completely still. after 6 or 7 shots one manage to hit me, but most shots go to my sides

the duke burger singularity

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 31 March 2019 - 02:15 PM

some texture clipping, ive seen others but this is the one i noticed the most

noticed this is babe land, when you fly over a moving cart you seem to slow down, even if you're not touching it (at least when flying in opposite direction de cart is going)

in derelict

just crouched

also the pipe bouncing is ridiculous, in the final part of derelict, with the battlelord and all those slimers, i was throwing pipes from all the way up and they just bounced back in the air in front of me. :lol:

that's all bugs i could find in r7470, it wasn't a 100% run so i probably missed a few.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 31 March 2019 - 10:23 PM

User is offline   axl 

Some other bug I found while playing Duke it out in DC with the latest Eduke32 version. In the level "Dread October", when you crawl in one of the 3 torpedo tubes in the submarine, you are stuck and can't leave anymore.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.png

User is offline   Mariusz 

Eduke32 7490 with the map of Bedrone hangs the system.
The Eduke32 version with a well-functioning map is 7395
Help

This post has been edited by Mariusz: 06 April 2019 - 08:39 AM

Mariusz, on 06 April 2019 - 08:36 AM, said:

Eduke32 7490 with the map of Bedrone hangs the system.
The Eduke32 version with a well-functioning map is 7395
Help

assuming you're talking about this map, it doesn't for me. lauching the bat file gives me a "error compiling con file" but lauching it from user map loads fine

bugs r7490

sometimes after nocliping, i can't return to playable area, even though (according to the map) im in it, so i guess i'm either over or under it. try it in derelict, after climbing the ship, noclip all the way along and keep going.

another thing, my console randomly turns white (seems to happen more often when nocliping) , i already have problems like this, the problem it's that also affects the screen flashes (getting damage, picking up stuff) and the menu background

Posted Image

pipes still bounce like crazy

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 06 April 2019 - 09:30 AM

User is offline   Darkus 

Tested also r7490. Love the new physics, now you can crouch when you're on a ledge without falling. Also, non-hitscan projectiles are more reliable, they hit enemies more often instead of passing thru them.

However, some weird SOS warping bug have appeared: in E4L9, when I pass the door at the deck, I got transported the the door below and got squished. E2L11 and E3L10 remain playable though.

Also, TROR is broken, I bump into invisible walls, and I warp between sectors like the old SOS bug (but only with TRORed maps, E2L11 works fine) and some sectors can't be reached, even using the noclip cheat. best example with the sample map TRUEROR1.MAP

I cross my fingers for that one day, TROR will be fully functional, so that I could mod with the new version :lol:

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Thanks for the additional bug reports.

TROR will end up fully functional or close to it. We're already using it in Ion Maiden.

Edit: can you give me coordinates for the SOS problem on Derelict? Thanks!

User is offline   Darkus 

Y 26880

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostTerminX, on 06 April 2019 - 01:14 PM, said:

TROR will end up fully functional or close to it. We're already using it in Ion Maiden.

YES!

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 06 April 2019 - 05:01 PM

r7497 still have console/ flashes randomly turn white. :lol:
Up until r7470 it only happened after i enabled and then disabled the fps counter, don't know in which version it started, only know r6940 didn't have it.

Doesn't happens in polymer or software, only in polymost.

View PostDarkus, on 06 April 2019 - 02:38 PM, said:

Y 26880

can confirm still happening in r7497

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 07 April 2019 - 03:07 PM

View PostLazy Dog, on 07 April 2019 - 01:25 PM, said:

r7497 still have console/ flashes randomly turn white. :lol:
Up until r7470 it only happened after i enabled and then disabled the fps counter, don't know in which version it started, only know r6940 didn't have it.

Doesn't happens in polymer or software, only in polymost.

still happens in r7543.

i was going to put a video of it here, but youtube is being an idiot so i can't

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 07 April 2019 - 11:24 PM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

What error youtube gives you?

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 06 April 2019 - 05:01 PM, said:

YES!

I think I need to correct TX here a bit.
This is not polymer parity mind you.

This is more about fixing polymost to gain parity with software for any remaining things that exist.

i.e. Island sectors won't work.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Using 7497, Parkade (https://msdn.duke4.net/hotparkade.php) has a whole bunch of clipping issues. For example, right at the start, you can't even fall below the initial TROR layer.

Visually, from a TROR perspective, there are still some differences between classic and polymost. Here are some examples.

Classic:
Is there something that can be done to fix this bug to make it look correct like it does in polymost? I don't see any reason why it would be drawing these vertical strips in terms of inappropriate level geometry (no island sectors or anything like that).

Posted Image

Polymost:

Posted Image

Example 2.

Classic:

Posted Image

Polymost (note the black sectors towards the left of the screen):

Posted Image

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Parkade will likely never work with the current setups as it has a bunch of island sectors which are not really supported by classic's method (which is currently applied to polymost). In many cases that just confuses the renderer and you end up with garbage. Whole parking area is practically a huge island sector :lol:

Unfortunately there are still some key limitations that require workarounds with design or not using those.
I don't believe it will get much better unless classic (and polymost) adopt some completely new method.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Those particular issues aren’t due to convex sectors though, and I’ve come across several other cases of textures stretching upwards to infinity in classic where only convex sectors were used.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

I've managed to work through a few quirks by creating more bunches and joining them together later. There is something wrong with the traversal I think.
It isn't a reliable solution but can help some times :/

User is online   Phredreeke 

View Postoasiz, on 08 April 2019 - 02:54 AM, said:

Parkade will likely never work with the current setups as it has a bunch of island sectors which are not really supported by classic's method (which is currently applied to polymost). In many cases that just confuses the renderer and you end up with garbage. Whole parking area is practically a huge island sector :lol:

Unfortunately there are still some key limitations that require workarounds with design or not using those.
I don't believe it will get much better unless classic (and polymost) adopt some completely new method.

Isn't there a risk future versions of Polymost will break levels like that as well?

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

TROR never worked in polymost.
If a hypotetical replacement system was put in place then I don't think it would benefit for it to be a downgrade ? :lol:

I meant as in Micky C's first screenshot where you got weird vertical strips in classic.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

I don't think parkade has ever worked in classic either :lol:
The geometry simply isn't compatible with how classic TROR is like, which in turn is the basis for the recent new polymost improvements.
TROR has only ever worked 100% in polymer, which is what this map was made for.
Why something works in polymost and not in classic? No clue. Probably because polymost draws geometry differently than classic so some things stay hidden.

Oh, now I get it, Polymost appears correct in the second screenshot by accident.

I guess what happens in classic is the renderer determines the sector should be visible in a given column, and ends up drawing it in the entire column, while Polymost determines visibility on a per pixel basis?

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options