Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   VGA 

But Polymer has the nice lighting!

:)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostVGA, on 16 December 2018 - 06:52 PM, said:

But Polymer has the nice lighting!

:)

It’s not impossible that polymost can get dynamic lighting in the future now that they’ve moved away from the ancient OpenGL spec. They’re already using a shader for classic-like visibility. If a full Ion Maiden sequel is ever created, I’d like to see them use dynamic lights as it would create some product differentiation from the first.

I’m more concerned about polymost’s inferior TROR support myself. I’d be a happy man if it was on par with classic for that.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostMicky C, on 16 December 2018 - 07:23 PM, said:

I’m more concerned about polymost’s inferior TROR support myself. I’d be a happy man if it was on par with classic for that.

Yeah, it's the main thing holding Polymost back. TROR is an awesome feature with such potential, then it's a real shame that the only renderer fully supporting it (Polymer) is a mess in almost every other way...

User is offline   axl 

View Postnecroslut, on 16 December 2018 - 09:56 PM, said:

Yeah, it's the main thing holding Polymost back. TROR is an awesome feature with such potential, then it's a real shame that the only renderer fully supporting it (Polymer) is a mess in almost every other way...

Yet, polymer gives me far better results lately. Polymost gives me sudden freezes / stutters (apparently also noticed by some users in BloodGDX). Polymer just feels extremely smooth and loads everything far quicker...

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostKKAP123, on 17 December 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

Once upon a time everyone said dont use polymost. Or am I thinking of something else like polytex?

There has never been a time in the history of EDuke32 when everyone agreed on renderer choice, so you must be remembering that wrong.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I remember whne polymost wasn't favoured for sure because it had the least authentic look at one point. That's probably not the case now with palette and shading/tinting enhancements? Or was that polymer only? People only used it for performance which was sometimes better than classic IIRC.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 18 December 2018 - 09:06 AM

• Honored Donor

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 December 2018 - 09:05 AM, said:

I remember whne polymost wasn't favoured for sure because it had the least authentic look at one point. That's probably not the case now with palette and shading/tinting enhancements? Or was that polymer only? People only used it for performance which was sometimes better than classic IIRC.

Polymost did lag behind the other renderers a bit in terms of accurate shading colours. Although perhaps the guy was thinking of polymer (or "polytex" as he calls it...) not being recommended because it's so incredibly slow, and doesn't draw skyboxes correctly in maps with more than one sky.

User is offline   necroslut 

There was a time where it seemed the ambition was for Polymer to replace Polymost in time.

• Honored Donor

View Postnecroslut, on 18 December 2018 - 11:57 PM, said:

There was a time where it seemed the ambition was for Polymer to replace Polymost in time.

Sure, what 10 years ago? Besides the artmapping feature (and not counting TROR), I don't think anything was added or changed much at all from shortly after the initial reveal.

The video at 2:27 is what I was talking about with the wrong sky showing. Polymer couldn't even show classic Duke 3D correctly everywhere, let alone show lots of lighting or large areas efficiently.

User is offline   3D Master 

Anyone seen the Quake 2 ray trace engine mod?

So... polyraytrace engine for eDuke32? :)

• The Sarien Encounter

That's what ICD has been working on for a while now. (see PolymerRTX thread)

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 27 January 2019 - 07:26 PM

User is offline   darkcaleb 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 November 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

Is it 90 degrees only?

Could anyone answer this? And how does is it work i mean is it possible to rotate like creating example stairs to make it alligned?

• Duke Plus Developer

I've encountered a problem with saving and loading when using r7352 while testing Alien Armageddon. Unfortunately, I can't replicate it now, because it involved an old save that was overwritten, and I didn't save the log, either. Here's what happened: A played through the first level of DC, and while doing so, I saved several times, overwriting an old saved game from a previous version of the mod on a slot that I had named "TEST". The first time I saved, I manually selected and overwrote the save. On subsequent saves, I pressed F6 to quicksave. When I got to the second level, I noticed that the saved game message no longer appeared at the top of the screen when I pressed F6. I had not tried to load the save up to this point. So then I went into the save menu. Strangely, it was telling me that my "TEST" save was from a previous version, as if I had never overwritten it. Unfortunately, I don't remember what the mini-screenshot on the save showed. I left the save menu and tried pressing F6 again. This time it crashed the game and threw out some message about failing to save. Instead of looking at the log I immediately relaunched the game and loaded up E1L1. Sure enough, the "TEST" slot said it was from a previous version. This time in E1L1, I saved the game and overwrote the "TEST" slot. And this time, the save was not marked as a previous version any more and it worked fine.

EDIT: If the game were started using a command line that had supplied a game directory that doesn't exist, would that explain it? Maybe it was trying to quick save to the nonexistent game directory.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 01 March 2019 - 08:22 AM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Did I see correctly? Polymost now supports TROR as well since 7392? If so, then... WOW! Until now this has been a Polymer-only thing.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Yup! :) It doesn't make it flawless but you can actually do a bit more with it than before, like actual holes in the ground (middle of a sector).
I didn't get enough time to test it proper yesterday but it definitely helps a ton in a lot of simpler cases.
Posted Image
Quick & dirty example in duke, before you would get weird glitching on the corners, best visible in mapster since ingame these are "null" and harder to spot (unless using stuff like skyboxes)

You can't really have TROR portals with different sizes exist on the same sector it seems but i.e. having 2 square "holes" (3 floors total) seems to work.

• Honored Donor

Sounds intriguing. I've tried loading up a test map to see how improved it is, but mapster keeps giving me crashes when I try to enter 3D mode!

Here's the log: https://pastebin.com/raw/yZYkUd8g

It works for vanilla Duke, but not the AMC TC. It works for the AMC TC with the classic renderer, but not polymost.

Copying the map in question into vanilla Duke shows that it's still very buggy even though it's near flawless in classic. Assuming you guys want consistency across the renderers, there's still some way to go unfortunately.
Classic mode is both faster and less buggy in the below case. All the TROR portals are convex sectors, so there's nothing particularly special happening in the construction. I’m not sure what you mean by “TROR portals of different sizes in the same sector.”

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Micky C: 05 March 2019 - 04:11 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Like I said, we're only talking about a slight improvement here :)

For IM, it seems to work fine so far so I dunno about AMC..

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Polymost is definitely getting a lot of love these days. Recent snapshots improve it even further. If they manage to fix sky rendering, I may actually stop using the software renderer after all.

User is offline   axl 

Wooow, didn't know where to put this, but I LOVE the new shading effect for polymost in the latest versions of EDuke32 ! It's really reminiscent of software shading ! Excellent work !

• Honored Donor

I quickly tried out the latest eduke. TROR seems almost perfect now in polymost (relative to classic)! The screenshot of the flying ship I posted earlier in the page now looks as it should. I'm seeing the occasional black triangles around the place, but perhaps that's a more general polymost issue as opposed to being TROR specific?

In some instances, polymost TROR is actually more glitch-free than classic. I'll post up some screenshot comparisons over the next day or so. Perhaps it's an opportunity to fix a classic TROR bug (a genuine visual bug, not arising from inappropriate TROR constructions)? Similarly, I've found at least one instance where polymost TROR is more glitchy than classic. Hopefully these issues can be resolved. If not, then at least the situation is 100x better than it was just a few weeks ago!

The classic-style shading is also very nice. When I first loaded up a map, I had to double check I was actually using polymost, it's so accurate. Although, I had imagined that it'd interpolate the shade table like polymer's shading does, as opposed to having discrete shade levels.

Unfortunately, polymost is still giving me about half the framerate of classic (21 fps vs 37fps) in some maps, purely resulting from the size and/or complexity of sector geometry. There's no voxels, massive use of transparency, or anything like that which would affect the framerate.

• The Sarien Encounter

I just played through the first episode with the newest build. Polymost looks great! There's some strange behaviour I've run into, though. Especially with pipebombs. I threw a pipebomb and it didn't land where I wanted it to so I went to pick it up but the game wouldn't let me and it just kept sliding (not bouncing) all around the room forever and I finally had to just detonate it. I think I may have run into an issue once or twice where an enemy clipped through a wall but I can't be sure of that yet. Also, in E1L2 it wouldn't let me get on the elevator behind the back room in the adult film shop. It blocked me about a foot or so away from it. I had to hug the wall to the left before it finally allowed me to pass through and enter the elevator.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 19 March 2019 - 04:50 PM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

I've noticed that some island sectors clip other island sectors, however this works when viewed from the bottom instead from the top with polymost vs. classic where it glitches on both sides.

I'm really interested on pushing these to the limits and maybe Nuke.YKT can check if he is interested, he already did a huge favor for this one.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 19 March 2019 - 04:48 PM, said:

Also, in E1L2 it wouldn't let me get on the elevator behind the back room in the adult film shop. It blocked me about a foot or so away from it. I had to hug the wall to the left before it finally allowed me to pass through and enter the elevator.

I can confirm this. For me, I was able to enter it normally the first time, but after riding the elevator up and coming back down, it started blocking me as you described.

And i thought i was drunk xD, then am not alone anymore, i've experienced more than this:

Excluding all of this, the polymer light effects looks very nice.

View PostThe Battlelord, on 20 March 2019 - 10:34 AM, said:

And i thought i was drunk xD, then am not alone anymore, i've experienced more than this:

Excluding all of this, the polymer light effects looks very nice.

the same just happened to me in polymost

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 20 March 2019 - 10:41 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Revision: 7411
Author: terminx
Polymost relative texture alignment patch from Nuke

This "fixes" relative texture alignment for floors and ceilings in Polymost to match classic mode. "Fix" is in quotes because this actually means the alignment is less correct in terms of proper scaling than before, but more correct in terms of accuracy to classic mode.
I don't see the point here. What's the benefit of this intentional regression? Who would want that?

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

The intend is to reproduce the results from classic mode.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

I think the idea is that when a map is designed, it should work the same in all maps, not have maps that are "classic only" or "polymer only"

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Yep, it's so maps look the same in both renderers.

about the elevator invisible wall, there's another in the upper floor

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options