Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

• 201 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   VGA 

But Polymer has the nice lighting!

:(

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostVGA, on 16 December 2018 - 06:52 PM, said:

But Polymer has the nice lighting!

:(

Itís not impossible that polymost can get dynamic lighting in the future now that theyíve moved away from the ancient OpenGL spec. Theyíre already using a shader for classic-like visibility. If a full Ion Maiden sequel is ever created, Iíd like to see them use dynamic lights as it would create some product differentiation from the first.

Iím more concerned about polymostís inferior TROR support myself. Iíd be a happy man if it was on par with classic for that.

Polymer wishlist: Global illumination, SSAO, Bloom, reflective surfaces, adjustable specular (wetness), volumetric lighting.
Mapper of the Month December 2014.

Herbs? Tell me more!

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostMicky C, on 16 December 2018 - 07:23 PM, said:

Iím more concerned about polymostís inferior TROR support myself. Iíd be a happy man if it was on par with classic for that.

Yeah, it's the main thing holding Polymost back. TROR is an awesome feature with such potential, then it's a real shame that the only renderer fully supporting it (Polymer) is a mess in almost every other way...

Blue barrels are heavier than regular barrels

User is offline   axl 

View Postnecroslut, on 16 December 2018 - 09:56 PM, said:

Yeah, it's the main thing holding Polymost back. TROR is an awesome feature with such potential, then it's a real shame that the only renderer fully supporting it (Polymer) is a mess in almost every other way...

Yet, polymer gives me far better results lately. Polymost gives me sudden freezes / stutters (apparently also noticed by some users in BloodGDX). Polymer just feels extremely smooth and loads everything far quicker...

User is online   Trooper Dan 

• Duke Plus Developer

KKAP123, on 17 December 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

Once upon a time everyone said dont use polymost. Or am I thinking of something else like polytex?

There has never been a time in the history of EDuke32 when everyone agreed on renderer choice, so you must be remembering that wrong.

User is online   MusicallyInspired 

I remember whne polymost wasn't favoured for sure because it had the least authentic look at one point. That's probably not the case now with palette and shading/tinting enhancements? Or was that polymer only? People only used it for performance which was sometimes better than classic IIRC.

Roland SC-55 Music Packs
new! Heretic SC-55 Music Pack in FLAC, OGG, & MP3 with metadata loop tags (12/12/18)
Duke3D, Doom, Heretic, Descent, Hocus Pocus, and more...
Legacy of Grabbag Metal Medley

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 18 December 2018 - 09:06 AM

• Honored Donor

MusicallyInspired, on 18 December 2018 - 09:05 AM, said:

I remember whne polymost wasn't favoured for sure because it had the least authentic look at one point. That's probably not the case now with palette and shading/tinting enhancements? Or was that polymer only? People only used it for performance which was sometimes better than classic IIRC.

Polymost did lag behind the other renderers a bit in terms of accurate shading colours. Although perhaps the guy was thinking of polymer (or "polytex" as he calls it...) not being recommended because it's so incredibly slow, and doesn't draw skyboxes correctly in maps with more than one sky.

Polymer wishlist: Global illumination, SSAO, Bloom, reflective surfaces, adjustable specular (wetness), volumetric lighting.

Herbs? Tell me more!

User is offline   necroslut 

There was a time where it seemed the ambition was for Polymer to replace Polymost in time.

Blue barrels are heavier than regular barrels

• Honored Donor

View Postnecroslut, on 18 December 2018 - 11:57 PM, said:

There was a time where it seemed the ambition was for Polymer to replace Polymost in time.

Sure, what 10 years ago? Besides the artmapping feature (and not counting TROR), I don't think anything was added or changed much at all from shortly after the initial reveal.

The video at 2:27 is what I was talking about with the wrong sky showing. Polymer couldn't even show classic Duke 3D correctly everywhere, let alone show lots of lighting or large areas efficiently.

Herbs? Tell me more!

Share this topic:

• 201 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Maiden! ;) © 2018 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options