Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Assuming those are the unedited stock textures, I guess it means it is now possible to rotate a texture 90 degrees on a wall. Or at least sprites.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Boy, that sure would be neat, especially if it worked in classic!

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Possibilities for trimming would intensify

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostTerminX, on 15 November 2018 - 01:26 PM, said:

Boy, that sure would be neat, especially if it worked in classic!

You coy mother fucker. Posted Image

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Imagine how much you'd save on texture copies, one can dream.

User is offline   Mark 

I really am getting dense in my old age. All I can see in those pics is geometry but not enemies rotated 90 degrees. I see nothing about rotated textures and such. :rolleyes: Other than the textures staying aligned with the rotated geo

This post has been edited by Mark: 15 November 2018 - 01:53 PM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

there's no rotated geometry at all, the place is a recreation.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Now we just need textures and sprites to be able to have an arbitrary angle rotation a la Build 2 and everything will be peachy Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Nice.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

2019 - Year of Linux des----- NO!! YEAR OF MAPPING FOR A 20+ YEAR OLD DEAD GAME WITH ROTATED TEXTURES !

https://dukeworld.du...uke32_latest.7z

https://dukeworld.du.../20181118-7238/

Come get some new trims !
Thanks TX for bringing this major mapping milestone to fruition !

Edit: Thanks Jblade for reminding, use R on a wall !

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0000.png

This post has been edited by oasiz: 18 November 2018 - 11:09 AM
Reason for edit: R to rotate!

User is offline   Jblade 

really cool - it's triggered with the R button to save others pressing all the keys first :rolleyes:

User is offline   Perro Seco 

I really appreciate all the cool features that EDuke32 offers, but I don't understand how texture rotation on walls can be a "game changer" or "mapping milestone" when it has always been possible by using new textures. Your work on this new feature is appreciated as always, but things like TROR are much more impressive in my opinion. :rolleyes:

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

TROR is big, but that was years ago and I would argue that this probably one of the biggest things since :rolleyes:

I would say that in duke scene this matters more since generally there is a much lower entry barrier and a bigger audience when you can just pop an usermap from the menu vs. loading few extra assets in. Don't ask why but that seems to be the case.
Not saying that using custom textures are automatically SATAN 666 but I guess it's the lack of good packaging possibilities (vs. WAD) that kind of does it.

This does suddenly allow a LOT more to be done with the stock texture set, especially trimming with various textures as duke doesn't have too many of those. Let's be honest, many mappers have been quite desperate on milking out the current set quite dry over the years, me included :D

Rotation is a simple thing but it's been on a wishlist for years personally, next step would be flipping sprites.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Is it 90 degrees only?

User is offline   Mark 

I started testing the latest revision of Eduke32 in my previous projects. The first up is GraveyardTC. I have found a number of issues and I'm documenting them as I find them.

This post has been edited by Mark: 18 November 2018 - 08:22 PM

User is offline   Mark 

This info was forwarded to the devs but I'll post it here so they don't receive duplicate bug reports. The 3 issues I found so far are:

1. If player starts on a sector with a "killing texture" they should start weaponless. Thats not working. Player starts with a gun.
2. The backround screen shown during the texture loading process is the wrong tile.
3. Polymer needs to be manually chosen each time you load the game. That setting doesn't stick.

So its looking like only a few minor things which is darn good considering how many dozens and dozens of updates were applied to the latest revisions.

This post has been edited by Mark: 18 November 2018 - 08:15 PM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Please guys test performance on heavy mods , should run better on GL and software, depends of course on how the mod is done and handled.

User is offline   Mark 

In Polymer, so far it seems old and new are close to the same fps. In some cases a bit faster and in some a bit slower. Single digits. I'll be testing more projects today.

User is offline   Gambini 

About the rotated texture thing:

Awesome! i just wish it did come BEFORE i made dozens of copies for tiles only to rotate them!

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

View PostGambini, on 19 November 2018 - 07:06 AM, said:

About the rotated texture thing:

Awesome! i just wish it did come BEFORE i made dozens of copies for tiles only to rotate them!

Can always go and delete them to make the maps smaller and faster to load :rolleyes:

User is offline   Mark 

I found another small bug with revision 7241. This time in HHR. There is an animation and sound that play together when you click on Eduke32.exe to start the game. If you check the box to run Polymer, the sound lags slightly behind the ivf video. In Polymost they stay in sync. It is easily repeatable. When you watch it, the hammer is supposed to sound the same time as "rethinked" hits the logo.

This post has been edited by Mark: 19 November 2018 - 08:05 AM

• Honored Donor

Is there some mapster script to be able to insert a particular sprite at the centre of all highlighted sectors? Ideally the sprite would have all the properties of that in the clipboard, but otherwise a particular tile number would do. There's a really, really cool effect I want to pull off, but it requires adding effector sprites to around 900 sectors...

This post has been edited by Micky C: 07 December 2018 - 08:32 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMicky C, on 07 December 2018 - 08:31 PM, said:

Is there some mapster script to be able to insert a particular sprite at the centre of all highlighted sectors? Ideally the sprite would have all the properties of that in the clipboard, but otherwise a particular tile number would do. There's a really, really cool effect I want to pull off, but it requires adding effector sprites to around 900 sectors...

It's possible. You will need a function that loops through the selected sectors, spawns an effector using insertsprite for each one, calculates the "center" of each selected sector and then sets coords on the new sprite and gives it whatever other properties you need it to have. I've done something like that in CON before, but not mapster script.

As you know, sectors come in many shapes, and some of them have void space in the middle. Some of them are very irregular, too, and you can define "center" in different ways.

EDIT: Depending on what you are trying to do, you may not require the overhead of having an actual sprite in each sector.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 07 December 2018 - 09:11 PM

• Honored Donor

I didn't think about potential irregularity. For the particular area I'm thinking of, the vast majority of the sectors are 4-sided and concave. It should be relatively straightforward to fix the remaining sectors. Essentially I'm trying to move a lot of sectors upwards, so it needs the activator (and possibly a speed sprite) in each sector.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostMicky C, on 07 December 2018 - 09:23 PM, said:

I didn't think about potential irregularity. For the particular area I'm thinking of, the vast majority of the sectors are 4-sided and concave. It should be relatively straightforward to fix the remaining sectors. Essentially I'm trying to move a lot of sectors upwards, so it needs the activator (and possibly a speed sprite) in each sector.

If it doesnt need to be centered just cycle through x,y coords by 5 or 10s and check to see if that sector has your necessary sprites added. If not add them, if it does move on. Very uneffiecient but practicle.

• Honored Donor

Could I ask a favour of someone to write a quick mapster script function to achieve the described effect?

View PostMicky C, on 07 December 2018 - 08:31 PM, said:

Also, I've started having a very random "out of memory" error when trying to start the AMC TC. It's not the most recent eduke32, but for various reasons we can't currently update beyond this version. Also, James isn't getting this error on his computer.

EDuke32 r6865
Built Apr 29 2018 10:27:24, GCC 7.2.0, 64-bit 
Using F:/amc_tc/ for game data
Checking for updates...
Connecting to http://www.eduke32.com
Current version is 20120522... no updates available
Running on Windows 10 (build 10.0.17134)
Initializing SDL 2.0.8
Searching for game data...
 Checksumming DUKE3D.grp... Done
Using "DUKE3D.GRP" as main game data file.
Using file "AMCTC.grp" as game data.
Compiling: GAME.CON (438644 bytes)
Relocating compiled code from to 0x000000001978a040 to 0x000000001a2a7040
Including: USER.CON (0 bytes)
Including: DEFS.CON (0 bytes)
Including: CODE/AMCVARS.CON (53188 bytes)
Including: CODE/AMCDEFS.CON (195342 bytes)
Including: CODE/AMCUSER.CON (317479 bytes)
Including: CODE/AMC_EPS.CON (22665 bytes)
Including: AMC_Settings.ini (3032 bytes)
Including: CODE/AMC_LOADA.CON (27610 bytes)
Including: CODE/AMC_SUBTITLES.CON (188030 bytes)
Including: CODE/AMC_CUT_SUB.CON (296093 bytes)
Including: CODE/getzrange.con (1373 bytes)
Including: CODE/PSTATS.CON (777262 bytes)
Including: CODE/EBIKE.CON (17682 bytes)
Including: CODE/AMCEXTRA.CON (540167 bytes)
Including: CODE/AMCSTEPS.CON (26402 bytes)
Including: CODE/AMCWEPS.CON (1038633 bytes)
Including: CODE/AMCENEMY.CON (696884 bytes)
Including: CODE/AMC_COM.CON (267060 bytes)
Including: CODE/AMCCOMP.CON (1033264 bytes)
CODE/AMCCOMP.CON: In state `JAMES_EQUIP_SCREEN':
CODE/AMCCOMP.CON:6258: warning: found `else' with no `if'.
CODE/AMCCOMP.CON: In state `ZAXTOR_EQUIP_SCREEN':
CODE/AMCCOMP.CON:6723: warning: found `else' with no `if'.
Including: CODE/AMCSCENE.CON (84002 bytes)
Including: CODE/AMCALLY.CON (155865 bytes)
Including: CODE/AMCDISP.CON (257916 bytes)
Including: CODE/AMCITEMS.CON (218983 bytes)
Including: CODE/AMC_OBJECTS.CON (75318 bytes)
Including: CODE/AMCINPUT.CON (112384 bytes)
Including: CODE/LENSFLARE.CON (5504 bytes)
Including: CODE/AMC_ZAX.CON (257352 bytes)
Including: CODE/AMC_MIKKO.CON (13103 bytes)
Found 2 warning(s), 0 error(s).
Script compiled in 1832ms, 8706480 bytes
AMC TC v3.0 Alpha
Out of memory in ???:0 (???)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

That sounds like the bug that was finally fixed in r7136

User is offline   Jblade 

various reasons mainly turned out to be that .alignto was removed as well as refresh_inventory (which never seemed to work for me anyways) As an aside, what would be the best way to set my own flags for a sector? I was using it to control stuff like low gravity or whatever. Could I just set my own cstat tags? (with the understanding that I'd have to update it whenever you guys add new tags yourself?)

just ignore this, I'm getting the error too now and not updating is biting me in the ass

This post has been edited by Jblade: 12 December 2018 - 03:44 AM

User is offline   axl 

Just a question: what is the current status on polymost vs polymer ? I was under the impression that polymer was to completely replace polymost at one time or another ?

Are both renderers still worked on ?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Polymost is being worked on and Polymer is not currently under development.

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options