Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View PostPlayer Lin, on 29 July 2018 - 01:28 AM, said:

Better keep bother the AV's support team/devs if still want using the AV and EDuke32 the same time if you ask me. :unsure:

...or use the 64-bit build :( (sorry if I'm starting to sound like a broken record)

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

or just add eduke32.exe to the av exception list so it'll stop alerting every time you run it, and move on

This post has been edited by Forge: 29 July 2018 - 05:14 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

All good points. I agree with the idea of putting a popup notice on the screen if you're running the 32-bit version on 64-bit OS's. A lot of people are stupid and ignorant of these things.

User is offline   Jblade 

I'm getting a "ERROR: Too many objects in cache! (cacnum > MAXCACHEOBJECTS)" crash on certain level loads...normally if I do a few consecutively; is this due to the cache size being set too low or too high? it's set to 262144 currently; but I also got crashes with double that.

Here's the log, there was literally about 9000 lines of similar error messages which I didn't include:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Jblade: 29 July 2018 - 10:16 AM

User is offline   Mark 

Looks like its long overdue to run Mapster scripts and find out what assets are not being used and delete them. You couldn't pay me enough to do it. :(

User is offline   necroslut 

I noticed that there's an "alternate weapon" keybind now - a carryover from Ion Maiden, I assume... Does that mean we're finally getting proper support for defining new (more than 11) weapons?

This post has been edited by necroslut: 31 July 2018 - 03:36 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Postnecroslut, on 31 July 2018 - 03:35 PM, said:

I noticed that there's an "alternate weapon" keybind now - a carryover from Ion Maiden, I assume... Does that mean we're finally getting proper support for defining new (more than 11) weapons?

It's for the Duke 64 mod. In Duke 3D it functions for the Shrinker and Expander.

View PostHendricks266, on 31 July 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

It's for the Duke 64 mod. In Duke 3D it functions for the Shrinker and Expander.

Yeah, I noticed it worked with the Expander. It seemed weird to include a special keybind just from toggling between those two weapons though.
So, does that mean "no"? Just a special keybind for mods to use without overwriting an existing one?

• Weaponized Autism

The idea is modeled after a similar bind that was added to SWP. Such a bind would be useful for any Build game that has multiple weapons or weapon modes per numeric key slot, including new games.

This bind functions correctly as-is. It is not part of anything larger, though it will work well with whatever ends up being implemented in the future.

I am irritated by "finally".

View PostHendricks266, on 31 July 2018 - 03:57 PM, said:

The idea is modeled after a similar bind that was added to SWP. Such a bind would be useful for any Build game that has multiple weapons or weapon modes per numeric key slot, including new games.

This bind functions correctly as-is. It is not part of anything larger, though it will work well with whatever ends up being implemented in the future.

I see. Yeah, SWP/Redux came to mind, but Shadow Warrior has five guns like that and Duke only one, so it seemed a bit overkill if just for Duke - which I assumed it was related to IM.

I am irritated by "finally".

Uh, why? :( Such functionality has been mentioned as being, not in development or really planned AFAIK, but as wanted and on the horizon somewhere. Since it didn't have it already, but it would be welcome to have it, that would make it "finally".
"Finally" doesn't necessarily mean "I can't believe you assholes let us wait this long!".

This post has been edited by necroslut: 31 July 2018 - 04:19 PM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

I requested that feature. Duke64 has three weapons with different forms of ammo in addition to the shrinker/expander

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

It's not just for mods. I add features to Eduke32 as if it supported all Build games.

View PostPhredreeke, on 31 July 2018 - 04:48 PM, said:

I requested that feature. Duke64 has three weapons with different forms of ammo in addition to the shrinker/expander

Yeah, I forgot the port/mod allows you to switch between ammo types manually unlike the console version.

View PostFox, on 31 July 2018 - 04:52 PM, said:

It's not just for mods. I add features to Eduke32 as if it supported all Build games.

Makes sense then.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postnecroslut, on 31 July 2018 - 03:35 PM, said:

I guess it depends on what you mean by "proper support". It's a royal pain to hook additional weapons into the existing structures, especially when shoehorning in new weapon switch logic so that all the added weapons work correctly with the next/previous weapon keys. BUT, for anyone willing to put in the work, it's quite possible to ignore the hardcoded structures entirely and make your own system with an unlimited number of weapons, or any system you like. One could argue that providing gamevars and all the other fundamental features needed to make a new system from scratch is all the proper support that we could ask for.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 31 July 2018 - 05:41 PM, said:

I guess it depends on what you mean by "proper support". It's a royal pain to hook additional weapons into the existing structures, especially when shoehorning in new weapon switch logic so that all the added weapons work correctly with the next/previous weapon keys. BUT, for anyone willing to put in the work, it's quite possible to ignore the hardcoded structures entirely and make your own system with an unlimited number of weapons, or any system you like. One could argue that providing gamevars and all the other fundamental features needed to make a new system from scratch is all the proper support that we could ask for.

I know it's possible, I've played around with that myself and I'm not complaining But I'm pretty sure Hendricks or TX have talked about implementing a simpler way to add more weapons, I even seem to remember the word "proper" being used.

Well, at least we have been saved from Doom wads with 10 guns per slot...

Nvm

This post has been edited by December Man: 16 August 2018 - 03:14 PM

User is offline   spacekebab 

has anyone else had trouble with the forcesetup = 1 param (in the config) with the last few builds?

I've been getting out of memory CTDs after attempting to load a game with my mod on the newest eDuke32 versions: 20180903-6976 and 20180906-6978. On 20180809-6969 it works fine.

This post has been edited by December Man: 06 September 2018 - 02:50 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDecember Man, on 06 September 2018 - 02:50 PM, said:

I've been getting out of memory CTDs after attempting to load a game with my mod on the newest eDuke32 versions: 20180903-6976 and 20180906-6978. On 20180809-6969 it works fine.

That's interesting. I have never experienced this problem myself, but I have seen similar reports from players on Mod DB regarding Alien Armageddon, and in those cases it is 6969 that is being used.

I think there was a recent change in which compiled script is no longer included in saved game files, and it may have something to do with that.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

It may have to do with this:

Don't invalidate saves based on the compiled script CRC if the script hasn't been compiled yet
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r6972 | terminx | 2018-09-01 12:36:05 -0700 (Sat, 01 Sep 2018) | 1 line

User is offline   Gambini 

Just installed Eduke32 7067 (the latest) and now palette emulation doesn´t seem to work at all, despite it being locked on ON.

I know this may sound similar to a previous question i made before. But is there any way to control the render parameters via console? like if there´s a replacement for r_usetileshades (which doesn´t seem to work) or any other visibility/shading command i can use for testing purposes at least.

Apart from that, I have been reading the changelogs on latest builds but didn´t find consistent information regarding stuff I may care/understand. Could someone list what new improvements/features have been added in the latest months? Polymer exclusive information is irrelevant to me.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

"Palette emulation" is missing since it was re-implemented via shaders, old method was a brute-force approach where it created duplicates of needed swaps in VRAM and that was very resource wasting and caused issues especially on lower end hardware. This was very intensive during scenes that did many palette swaps (i.e. explosions or flickering lights) and could cause major lag spikes even on systems with dedicated VRAM on the GPU.
There is no need for this toggle as the performance penalty now is virtually zero. If there are accuracy concerns then I'm sure that those can be checked out if pointed out. As for the "off" method: It was never really correct and was just a quick & dirty approximation using basic functions to get something closer to it.

There have been various adjustments like a smoother mouse movement in GL (no longer chained to fixed steps in Y axis) and I believe this was applied to X axis as well, giving a more true "free camera" instead of being bound to engine supported angles. Tons of perf improvements overall. Classic now supports pixel doubling / quadrupling etc.. Other major render work is being done by pogokeen. Most of it is way overdue so kudos to him :rolleyes:

As I seem to understand palette emulation is discontinuated and replaced by shaders? How then can a modder apply a shader that looks like palette emulation?

I have a big project which relies its visuals (and was inspired by too) on the palette emulation look. I´m very concerned about this. Would you care to explain me more?

• Weaponized Autism

Palette emulation was reimplemented using shaders and since the performance cost is gone, it is on by default and there is no need to give the user a menu option to turn it off.

But it´s not working! I get the old poymost shading look in which surfaces are darkened by a black translucent coat!

This post has been edited by Gambini: 14 October 2018 - 09:39 PM

I think you can tell the difference:

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Have you tried deleting your old cfg?

texture caches, cfgs, autoexecs, yes!

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

It looks as if some extra saturation is being applied on top, did you check that nvidia control panel isn't tapping in to this and adding some digital vibrance for instance ?

But yeah, what was said, goal is to get software-like look going on with polymost.

Also remember that eduke stores configs in %appdata% nowdays with newer versions.

No extra saturation, the most saturated screenshot corresponds to 6926 revision in which shadetables still worked. The screenshot at the bottom shows how it looks like now in 7067. And it's unlikely nvidia is doing anything. That is exactly the old polymost look, before the shadetables thingie were applied.

Just checked %appdata% and no eduke32 configuration was found.

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options