Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Probably somewhere in the 4000s before development became myopic for HTTKC, damage which we're still working on.

Crash logs always help. I think our synthesis compiler has caused debug crash logs to be useless lately, so it would be greatly appreciated if you can build your own with `make RELEASE=0`.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTrooper Dan, on 25 July 2017 - 05:50 PM, said:

Any reports on whether this attempted fix was successful? Jblade?

As of the latest synthesis featuring a fix from TX, Jblade and I have been in contact and so far it looks fixed. Please let us know if you encounter any issues.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHendricks266, on 28 July 2017 - 03:06 AM, said:

As of the latest synthesis featuring a fix from TX, Jblade and I have been in contact and so far it looks fixed. Please let us know if you encounter any issues.

Cool. I haven't actually touched EDuke32 in a while, but I'll let you know (as always) if and when I find anything.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTea Monster, on 04 September 2016 - 01:24 AM, said:

Something is definitely weird in how models are rendered in Polymer. Models appear correctly lit back in ver. 4593. In more recent versions (Can't remember the version No. But in August of this year), Models look very dark. This is not a model issue as the same models appear completely different in the two versions of the renderer.

Posted Image
Same model, same level, same lighting, different SVN version.

This bug is now fixed.

User is offline   Mark 

YAY

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: rejoicing.jpg

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Sorry guys, that problem was my bad. I optimized a bunch of code and didn't test it thoroughly enough.

User is offline   Mark 

Sorry doesn't grow back the hair I pulled out over the last couple of years. :thumbsup:

And Teamonsters tickets for kicking his dogs out of frustration won't come off his record.

Ahh... A bug fixed and I ordered out for the best tasting pizza I've had in months. Life is good.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 28 July 2017 - 02:50 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I celebrated properly :thumbsup:

Mark, you are lucky you still have hair!

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 28 July 2017 - 03:33 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I celebrated too but I'd rather not show how. :thumbsup:

Don't worry Jimmy. I'll send you a PM pic. :P

This post has been edited by Mark.: 28 July 2017 - 03:52 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostHendricks266, on 26 July 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

Crash logs always help. I think our synthesis compiler has caused debug crash logs to be useless lately, so it would be greatly appreciated if you can build your own with `make RELEASE=0`.

As of r6407, we have worked around the problem and eduke32.crash.log files should once again be useful.

User is offline   Sanek 

Have 2 questions for Polymer cult:

1. Is it possible to turn off every single Polymer feature (guns firing, buttons lights, shrinker flickering etc) except the SE-Polymer lights?

2. Is it possible to place the Polymer light feature on a moving object, like that moving lights from Dukepus mod?

I'm working on a map right now that requires some kind of cost/size-efficent way to have lightning, and Polymer lights is the first thing I've been thinking of.

User is offline   Mark 

In the display menu under Polymer setup there is an option for dynamic lighting. Choose "map only"

If your map will be all or mostly indoors, you can use lots of SE49 point lights before frame rate gets tanked. And as long as SE50 lights aren't large or overlapping with other lighting you should be able to sprinkle those around the map too. Keep in mind that if you start to see some lighting disappear in areas with lots of lights you might have to bump up the setting of "max light passes" or whatever its called.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 17 August 2017 - 07:18 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

There's a few large maps in the AMC TC where the framerate in polymost is almost a quarter of that in classic when viewing large areas. Is that normal? 64-bit executable.

• Weaponized Autism

Yes, that is expected. I'm working on it.

• Weaponized Autism

I bumped our Windows builds to the brand new SDL release, 2.0.6. Let me know if there are any regressions.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I see that 'show2dsector' is now exposed to con. Does that mean coders can do things like keep certain sectors hidden when people type in dnshowmap, and that a pickup item which allows the player to view parts of the map they haven't visited yet might be possible?

Build 6450 broke the ability to drop off from the crane, which I found the hard way. The map I released yesterday has a section where it's necessary to punch the crane in order to drop down the platform. As for now, you can only drop down from the initial sector with a pole sprite in it while the crane drags you up.
I distinctly remember this feature from the original game, and moreover both my testers, who I assume had different versions of EDuke32, were able to drop down.
I've decided to test it with previous builds: in 6444, 6443, 6428, 6411 and even older one like 5304 (which I have) it is possible to kick the crane and drop down, so I figure this is 6450 problem.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMister Sinister, on 25 September 2017 - 04:29 AM, said:

Build 6450 broke the ability to drop off from the crane, which I found the hard way.

Nothing changed relating to cranes between 6444 and 6450.

It is the weirdest thing then, because dropping down mid-route definitely doesn't work in 6450. You can drop down from the starting sector, but not while the crane carries you.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Hah, I didn't even know that was a feature.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Build 6450 broke the ability to drop off from the crane, which I found the hard way. The map I released yesterday has a section where it's necessary to punch the crane in order to drop down the platform.

I hope your map makes it clear what the player is supposed to do, because that is a seriously obscure level progression requirement. Like TerminX said, some of us long-time players didn't even know it was a feature! Eduke32 should be fixed in any case, of course.

Well, you can play the map and see for yourself. It's clear enough if you know about this feature, but it's not required in order to complete the map.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I released yesterday has a section where it's necessary to punch the crane in order to drop down the platform.

View PostMister Sinister, on 25 September 2017 - 01:01 PM, said:

Well, you can play the map and see for yourself. It's clear enough if you know about this feature, but it's not required in order to complete the map.

My mistake: Since you said it was "necessary" for dropping down, I assumed it was necessary to complete the map. And yes, I will get around to playing it!

• Weaponized Autism

How can anything be fixed if nothing was changed?

I don't know then. Load up E1L4 and see for yourself.
I did just that and it is still not possible to drop down while it's carrying you (but it is when it just picked you up), even though it is possible in both 5304 and 6444, so I have absolutely no idea why this is even a thing.

This post has been edited by Mister Sinister: 25 September 2017 - 01:48 PM

Okay, sorry to litter this thread with this garbage.
Turns out I was wrong: crane behavior is indeed the same, but it is very weird.
The thing is you can only drop down the first time crane picks you up. Trying to do that the second time doesn't seem to work.
If you saved your game before the crane picks you up, it kinda resets. I don't know if that was the same in the original game.
To illustrate here's a quick video using 6450, same thing happens in other builds as well:

This post has been edited by Mister Sinister: 25 September 2017 - 03:42 PM

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

Are there plans to make the PS4 controller work with EDuke32? I randomly happened to discover that I could control some programs on my PC with the controller while I was using my PC's USB port to charge its battery one night. I decided to launch EDuke32 and see what would happen. I was able to move up and down in the game menu, but that was about it.

• Weaponized Autism

I don't know what API capabilities a PS4 controller has out of the box, but we will support it through Steam.

User is offline   Jblade 

I used to use getticks to animate something during the loading screen, but it doesn't seem to work anymore; the code still animates perfectly fine on the main menu and other places but during loading it now just seems to freeze up.

code is here:
  getticks curtick
  ifvare prevtick -1 
  setvar DISPLAY_TEMP 0
  else
  {
    readgamevar WHEEL1
    readgamevar WHEEL2
    setvarvar DISPLAY_TEMP curtick
    subvarvar DISPLAY_TEMP prevtick
  }

addvar WHEEL1 2
  ifvarg WHEEL1 2048 setvar WHEEL1 0
  rotatespritea 10 135 INVENSIZE WHEEL1 3228 20 12 256 -255 0 0 xdim ydim
  subvar WHEEL2 4
  ifvarl WHEEL2 -2048 setvar WHEEL2 0
  rotatespritea 10 135 QUARTERSIZE WHEEL2 3228 10 12 256 -255 0 0 xdim ydim

setvarvar prevtick curtick

it's not a massive issue of course, but just curious if it's a bug or if I need to change something. The readgamevar is there because I coded in a transition effect when a level is ending and it basically reads the position of the animation so it was seamless between gameplay and the level load.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

This code is executed in which event?

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options