Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   Kyanos 

Hendricks266, on 11 November 2015 - 04:57 PM, said:

For the Duke 64 mod, I'm going to connect the spriteext members xpanning and ypanning to the UV coordinate of models.

Awesome. So I would be able to get at it in def or con somehow? On my end I want to do it for one or two surfaces in a md3 with more surfaces defined to regular textures.

This post has been edited by Drek: 11 November 2015 - 05:44 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Speaking of models, could you make it possible to assign additional normal and spec map skins to models using different pals like you can now with the diffuse skin?

I have some custom enemies with multiple skins but they all have to share the same normal and spec maps.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 11 November 2015 - 05:55 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Drek, on 11 November 2015 - 05:42 PM, said:

Awesome. So I would be able to get at it in def or con somehow? On my end I want to do it for one or two surfaces in a md3 with more surfaces defined to regular textures.

It would be from CON, and would apply to all surfaces.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Thanks for the info. I can definitely work with that, I'll just split apart some models and define the pieces to multiple sprites.

• Weaponized Autism

You can now access a model's UV panning through setactor[<id>].xpanning and ypanning, in the range 0-255.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

What's the mapster script command for deleting sprites?

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

Micky C, on 11 December 2015 - 03:53 PM, said:

What's the mapster script command for deleting sprites?

As stated in the M32script command index, there's deletesprite. It's not tested by a.m32 though, so... good luck :thumbsup:.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Hmm that's weird, could have sworn I did a search for "delete" on that page but maybe it was something else. Anyway I got it off Hendricks on chat a week ago and it did exactly what I wanted, saving many hours of finicky work Posted Image

Not sure how the mapper who did all that work would feel about me undoing it though...

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

After importing maphacks into Mapster's 3D mode via F9, is it possible to save these changes into the map file?

• Weaponized Autism

LeoD, on 21 December 2015 - 06:30 AM, said:

After importing maphacks into Mapster's 3D mode via F9, is it possible to save these changes into the map file?

I don't see any mechanism to do this. I would have written an m32script to apply sprites' angoff members to their angles, but it doesn't look like m32script currently has access to spriteext[].

Is angoff the only thing you would want applied? (I don't see what else could be done.)

Helix: If I were to expose spriteext[] to m32script, would you prefer that I add the members to sprite[] (like how the game lumps sprite, hittype, and spriteext into getactor and sprite[]) or would you prefer I add a spriteext[] to the language?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Hendricks266, on 21 December 2015 - 10:32 AM, said:

Is angoff the only thing you would want applied?
Ideally everything that can be done in maphacks. I might have been less of a nuisance during beta testing Decay if such a feature had been available. I admit that it's a niche application for limited purposes.

• Weaponized Autism

mdx/y/zoff, pitch, roll, and flags (notmd, nomdanim, away1/2) are not stored in .map files at all. That leaves angoff and light (which I forgot about earlier). I've never created a Polymer light, so I don't know if all the parameters that the light command takes are covered by an SE light.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Hendricks266, on 21 December 2015 - 11:24 AM, said:

mdx/y/zoff, pitch, roll, and flags (notmd, nomdanim, away1/2) are not stored in .map files at all.
So it is not possible to have pickups adapted to a sloped ground without maphacks. Important to know for a non-mapper like me. I suppose that the others (except notmd, nomdanim) could be translated from MHK to an M32 script which actually modifies the map.

While we're at it - the mdzoff parameter on floor (and ceiling?) aligned sprites is interpreted differently by Polymost and Polymer.
Vanilla Red 5:
Attached Image: red5-no-mhk.jpg

Red 5 + MHK in Polymer renderer:
Attached Image: red5-mhk-polymer.jpg

Red 5 + MHK in Polymost renderer:
Attached Image: red5-mhk-polymost.jpg

Debug MHK attached. Is there a right or wrong, or is it just to be considered as two different legal interpretations?
In the latter case I'd prefer Polymost to be changed, since almost all maphacks are made using Polymer.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by LeoD: 21 December 2015 - 12:08 PM

• Weaponized Autism

LeoD, on 21 December 2015 - 11:44 AM, said:

While we're at it - the mdzoff parameter on floor (and ceiling?) aligned sprites is interpreted differently by Polymost and Polymer.

The z offset should be in the same direction as it is without the floor-aligned bit set. Do you know which renderer is correct in this case?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Hendricks266, on 21 December 2015 - 11:47 AM, said:

The z offset should be in the same direction as it is without the floor-aligned bit set. Do you know which renderer is correct in this case?
Uhm, for not floor aligned sprites I use mdxoff/mdyoff to move them up or down. I could try with a 512-pitched one ....

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

LeoD, on 21 December 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

Uhm, for not floor aligned sprites I use mdxoff/mdyoff to move them up or down. I could try with a 512-pitched one ....
In that case both renderers do the same.
sprite  3049 mdzoff      -4000       // tile0052 sixpack
sprite  3049 pitch       -512        // tile0052 sixpack

Attached Image: red5-mhk-sixpack.jpg

Maybe it's not the mdzoff parameter, but a difference in how floor-alignment is implemented, respectively.

User is offline   Jblade 

Any word on those increased sound limits btw? Right now we're at 3240 (and you know I'm actually using all of the stuff I ask to add in :thumbsup: )

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

Hendricks266, on 21 December 2015 - 10:32 AM, said:

Helix: If I were to expose spriteext[] to m32script, would you prefer that I add the members to sprite[] (like how the game lumps sprite, hittype, and spriteext into getactor and sprite[]) or would you prefer I add a spriteext[] to the language?

I'd go for the lumping, but that's just for simplicity's sake on your part. I don't really have any strong opinions regarding the evolution of the m32script language as its only use is to enable mappers getting done things quickly that would otherwise require manual labor. Users would have to know that the member is not part of sprite[], but I think we can assume this level of proficiency from the long-time mappers.

User is offline   Mark 

As I was working on a bonus map for Decay, the E1L1 remake I showed some pics of last year, I noticed how fast and stuttering the film reels move in the projection room of the cinema. The easy fix if someone wants to add it in officially involves slightly modifying the highres/sprites/props.def file. It slows the reels way down to a more normal speed and by not using the last frame of the animation the stutter disappears. The only values changed were fps 65 to fps 6 and cineline 19 to cineline 18. Its a step in the right direction until it gets replaced with a better model. Hopefully nobody used this reel for something else and the slower speed will ruin their effect. In which case you can use it for yourself if it doesn't get added in officially.

// Cineline (1055)
model "highres/sprites/props/1055_cineline.md3" {
scale 22 shade 6
skin { pal 0 file "highres/sprites/props/1055_cineline.png" }
anim { frame0 "cineline00" frame1 "cineline18" fps 6 flags 0 }
frame { name "cineline00" tile0 1055 tile1 1056 }
}

This post has been edited by Mark.: 02 January 2016 - 04:54 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

"al" and at least the r5505 short CON command versions do not seem like a good idea IMO. While they save typing a few characters, reading and understanding the CON code will become quite harder for others, especially newbies.

[EDIT:]Mark., the new definition will be added on my next checkin. (Wrong thread, btw. :thumbsup: )

This post has been edited by LeoD: 04 January 2016 - 05:58 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

LeoD, on 04 January 2016 - 04:46 PM, said:

"al" and at least the r5505 short CON command versions do not seem like a good idea IMO. While they save typing a few characters, reading and understanding the CON code will become quite harder for others, especially newbies.

I don't see the problem. Existing code will stay the same. It just gives people more options. There have always been plenty of ways to make code horribly unreadable.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Besides something like "al" (which is addlogvar, not frequently used by amateur coders) most of the changes are logical and actually help clarify the code somewhat. Instead of having to know and type "addvar" and addvarvar you can type "add" and it covers both.

getactor[THISACTOR].z temp
subvar temp player[THISACTOR].posz
mulvarvar temp vel_mod
shiftvarr temp 2
setactor[THISACTOR].zvel temp

vs
geta[].z temp
sub temp player[].posz
mul temp vel_mod
shiftr temp 2
seta[].zvel temp

Anyway, you can blame me if you'd like since I'd been complaining to TerminX about the amount of typing I've been doing over the years. Long names are still valid though. Also, you're welcome for "abs". :thumbsup:

Spoiler

• Duke Plus Developer

Am I correct that CON has no way of detecting whether the player has sound or music turned on? I have looked though the userdef members and pre-defined/constantly updated gamevars listed in the wiki, and that seems to be the case.

User is offline   Jblade 

No, there's no way IIRC - you can at least hack a way of detecting sounds by playing a silent sound and then checking to see if it's playing as ifsound returns false if sounds are disabled.

The latest snapshot seems to mess with alignto since it now seems to set the sector's lotag if you mess with that. As far as I know it was temporarily being used for fog pal stuff in the GL modes right? (Also I didn't get a response about the sound limit increase, it would be insanely useful for us if it was increased)

• Weaponized Autism

Jblade, on 09 January 2016 - 02:14 PM, said:

No, there's no way IIRC - you can at least hack a way of detecting sounds by playing a silent sound and then checking to see if it's playing as ifsound returns false if sounds are disabled.

I added userdef[].musictoggle at one point but I guess I didn't add one for sound. I just wrote a commit (which took all of three lines) and it will be in my next push.

The latest snapshot seems to mess with alignto since it now seems to set the sector's lotag if you mess with that.

Alignto will forever and always be fogpal. What are some steps I can take to reproduce lotag getting clobbered?

(Also I didn't get a response about the sound limit increase, it would be insanely useful for us if it was increased)

I would sooner add a redefinesound that you can call from a state, much like redefinequote. In this way I envision none of our limits ever being raised again--I'd like Lunatic to be able to load, unload, and rewrite ART and palette data on the fly.

User is offline   Jblade 

Alignto will forever and always be fogpal. What are some steps I can take to reproduce lotag getting clobbered?

If you make a sprite or something and tell it to set the alignto of a sector, it'll end up setting the lotag as well. I'm not sure of the details beyond that, but I do know that when I played with the latest snapshot last night I was suddenly stepping into water when I stepped into sectors with an alignto of 1.

I would sooner add a redefinesound that you can call from a state, much like redefinequote. In this way I envision none of our limits ever being raised again--I'd like Lunatic to be able to load, unload, and rewrite ART and palette data on the fly.

I remember you saying as much earlier, if this could be added I'd appreciate it a lot since we're at about 3340 sounds (release version of ep2 had about 3000 iirc)

User is offline   m210® 

Hi all! After update to newest version of eDuke32 my doors in BloodCM doesn't works since r5501. I think "dragpoint" command for walls was broken

And one request...there is "setinterpolation" command for smooth sectors moving in x/y surfaces, but what about Z coordinate? For smooth moving for Z I must insert SE31/32 sprite to such moving sector

This post has been edited by M210: 23 January 2016 - 11:48 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

I've noticed that if you play the same sound again multiple times from the same actor than rather than overlapping each other it'll just basically play the sound again from the start (so basically a high ROF gun will just play the initial bit of the firing sound over and over ) I just thought that I can probably circumvent this by making the actor spawn another actor that'll play the sound for it but I just thought I'd ask if it's possible for a flag or something to do this as well.

EDIT: Alright just to clarify here, I think what the 'problem' (not really a problem of course since it's a minor thing) is that firing sounds from the player don't overlap each other. There's a few workarounds I can use for this (spawning an actor infront of the player so it's positioned correctly and playing the sound works great) so just ignore this request but I'll leave it here anyways so I don't just leave a blank post for no reason :dukeaffirmative:

This post has been edited by Jblade: 25 January 2016 - 03:23 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

Jblade, on 25 January 2016 - 02:34 PM, said:

EDIT: Alright just to clarify here, I think what the 'problem' (not really a problem of course since it's a minor thing) is that firing sounds from the player don't overlap each other.

That's because each actor can only have one instance of a sound at a given time. So when you play the sound while an instance is still running, it becomes a new instance and starts over. Changing that would be major, and would break the ifactorsound command and probably other stuff.

What happens if you use globalsound instead?

User is offline   Jblade 

Yeah I suspected as much, as I said it's not really a problem just something I found interesting.

I've already found a solution where at the firing frame the player spawns an actor in front of them that plays the desired sound and then is removed instantly. This works perfectly and means machineguns and stuff have a roaring crescendo of sound rather than the kinda unnatural stuttering they had before. This only works with sound though and not globalsound, so I had to put the sprite in front of the player so it appears to come from the right direction.

Here's a video demonstrating what I was banging on about :dukeaffirmative:

This post has been edited by Jblade: 26 January 2016 - 02:26 AM

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options