Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

In eduke32.cfg there is CrosshairColor = "255,255,255"

View PostFox, on 04 January 2015 - 02:56 PM, said:

In eduke32.cfg there is CrosshairColor = "255,255,255"

Okay..... so, how can I change it's color?

I've tried configuring the numbers cfg file, but nothing seems to be working at all :)

Sorry if I'm being a nuisance, this kind of configuring is kind of new to me

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

The numbers are for red, green and blue between 1 and 255. Open any graphics app and if you pick the colour you want, it should give you the RGB (red, green blue) numbers. Enter those numbers into the configuration file, save and close the file.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 04 January 2015 - 04:32 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Voxels seem to have a draw distance, at least in classic. Is there any way to increase this distance (or remove it? I don't think the performance hit would be that massive).

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Postdarkprince227, on 04 January 2015 - 01:51 PM, said:

Hi! I don't know if this is anything to do with eduke32, but I was testing the newest built and I seem to be having issues with the colour blue.

1- When I have HRP on, whenever I unlock a door, Duke's hand ALWAYS uses the blue card even if it's a yellow or red slot.
Attachment duke0000.png

2- Are the Assault Troopers and Captains supposed to all be wearing blue?

BTW, are the crosshairs supposed to be white?
All these things happen when you run the Polymer HRP but use the Polymost renderer, The Polymer HRP has no alternate palette/colour versions for many items, since it relies on the Polymer renderer's highpal feature.

View PostTea Monster, on 04 January 2015 - 04:31 PM, said:

The numbers are for red, green and blue between 1 and 255. Open any graphics app and if you pick the colour you want, it should give you the RGB (red, green blue) numbers. Enter those numbers into the configuration file, save and close the file.

I've tried changing the numbers in the 'cfg' file like you suggested (I typed '255,255,0' to get the classic yellow) but the damn thing just stays white :)

It might be something to do with the colour bug that I mentioned earlier (all the assault troopers/ captains being blue, as well as all the HRP access cards held by duke)

• Honored Donor

The floor sprite issue I mentioned recently is fixed, thankyou.

View PostMicky C, on 05 January 2015 - 04:31 AM, said:

Voxels seem to have a draw distance, at least in classic. Is there any way to increase this distance (or remove it? I don't think the performance hit would be that massive).

To make matters worse, the draw distance seems to depend on the scale of the voxel. So the more you shrink it, the quicker it disappears from view. I've got voxels disappearing in the same room as the player Posted Image

It doesn't necessarily need to be a source code fix, is there some way to do it with con? Is there even any need to have this limitation in this day and age? I would have thought that any map with enough voxels to have a framerate problem would simply not have the voxels drawn when the sectors aren't in view, along with everything else.

Edit: I'm also having trouble getting the rotate and duplicate sprite feature to work in a.m32. I've included the script and enabled all events, but nothing's happening when I point at the central sprite or press space on it. Also, I have no idea what that "sh" term on the sign is meant to be.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Micky C: 05 January 2015 - 07:38 PM

User is offline   Fox 

A while ago I made a request for unused gamevars to not be compiled. Was this applied or I still should delete all unused gamevars?

View PostLeoD, on 05 January 2015 - 05:26 AM, said:

All these things happen when you run the Polymer HRP but use the Polymost renderer, The Polymer HRP has no alternate palette/colour versions for many items, since it relies on the Polymer renderer's highpal feature.

Okay. Things are starting to make a bit more sense now.

I took the duke3d_hrp_polymost.def from the polymost.zip file, put it in my eduke32 folder and renamed it duke3d_hrp.def. Now everything is working as it should except the $@!*£^! crosshair is still white!
I've tried modifying the numbers in the eduke.cfg file like TeaMonster suggested but that doesn't work. I try configuring it in the console, but still nothing works and it just goes to R:0 G:0 B:0 and stays there no matter
what I type next. :)

This post has been edited by darkprince227: 06 January 2015 - 08:26 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFox, on 06 January 2015 - 01:03 AM, said:

A while ago I made a request for unused gamevars to not be compiled. Was this applied or I still should delete all unused gamevars?

LunaCON has switches to display warnings for unused and set-but-not-used gamevars.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostMicky C, on 05 January 2015 - 04:31 AM, said:

Bumped that to twice the distance in r4881. The limitation is "arbitrary". Pretty much all classic Build code that conceptually operates on fractional numbers uses "scaled integers" instead, implying certain limits.

View PostMicky C, on 05 January 2015 - 07:02 PM, said:

Edit: I'm also having trouble getting the rotate and duplicate sprite feature to work in a.m32. I've included the script and enabled all events, but nothing's happening when I point at the central sprite or press space on it. Also, I have no idea what that "sh" term on the sign is meant to be.

Glad it's of use to you! It simply has collected so much dust and didn't work for a variety of reasons. Check out the updated map in r4880. "Sh" refers to the pivot sprite's shade.

User is offline   Fox 

Is it possible to make CON read subdirectories? That way I can organize the files in folders without disgracefully adding paths to CON.

This post has been edited by Fox: 07 January 2015 - 02:39 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

Utilizing mapster script, is there a way to make custom monsters appear with rotatings and/or animations similar to how the default Duke monsters are?

This post has been edited by Jblade: 08 January 2015 - 03:10 PM

User is offline   Fox 

Yes. But is it worth the effort to load a script each time?

User is offline   delMar 

Hi guys,

awesome work with EDuke32, HRP, Polymer and all the stuff going on... Thanks a lot!
It's a project really worth supporting, so I hope you received my donation.

Question:
What's the recommended hardware for Polymer with HRP running in 1680x1050?
I was looking for the answer but only found out that a "badass" videocard is required...

I have an Phenom II X4 965, a Radeon 7770 (stock overclocked) and 8 GB of RAM. (Windows 7 x64)
Running the game in the resolution mentioned above is nearly impossible.
It runs smooth at times (above 30 fps I think, just really smooth) but especially when making fast turns, or jumping down the tube right at the beginning of the first episode the framerate drops to about 5 fps.

Is this a known issue of the renderer? Or an issue with AMD cards? Or do I just suck?

Thanks guys,
keep up the great work!

• Honored Donor

AMD cards generally don't do as well with nvidia cards due to the way it they handle openGL. Don't forget, polymer is unfinished and optimized, so it's bound to be a bit slow at times.

It tends to run pretty well for me though, even though my computer isn't particularly powerful.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 08 January 2015 - 11:54 PM

User is offline   delMar 

View PostMicky C, on 08 January 2015 - 11:53 PM, said:

It tends to run pretty well for me though, even though my computer isn't particularly powerful.

Could you please elaborate a bit on your hardware and the resolution you're playing at?

I guessed that there's some issue with AMD... Maybe I should try my old 9800GT just for comparison

User is offline   Mark 

I run at that resolution on an Intel dual core 3 ghz and 9800gtx+ card and I get about 40 FPS after dropping down the chute in the first map. I think Mickey has the same card.

• Honored Donor

I used to have the 9800GT as well, and that worked pretty good before it broke down. I have 8gb of ram and an intel quad core @ 2.33ghz. I'd definitely recommend trying your 9800GT then.

Btw since you have a 64-bit version of windows, you should use the 64-bit version of eduke32, which should give you a small framerate boost when using openGL renderers (but might slow the classic renderer slightly).

User is offline   Fox 

How feasible is it to set (preferably in-game) the number of bits in gamevar/gamearrays? I feel like 32 bits is a waste for boolean values. The downside is that it would require to use temporary variables for calculations.

This post has been edited by Fox: 10 January 2015 - 04:48 AM

User is offline   Fox 

View PostTerminX, on 02 January 2015 - 04:48 PM, said:

I have a theory that some of the crashes are somehow related to the keyboard layout switching. I feel like I've seen a couple of logs where there were duplicate messages about switching the layout (e.g one message for switching from a foreign layout to the US layout but more than one message about switching back), which shouldn't be possible. Maybe try manually setting your system keyboard layout to US before launching the game and see if that does anything...

Recently it crashed several times for me, with the "cache space all locked up" message in the log. This time it also included a message about the keyboard:

ERROR: CACHE SPACE ALL LOCKED UP!
Switching keyboard layout from 00000409 to 00000416

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostFox, on 06 January 2015 - 09:13 PM, said:

Is it possible to make CON read subdirectories? That way I can organize the files in folders without disgracefully adding paths to CON.

Meaning to enumerate the names of the files in a given directory? Lunatic can do that. Adding a new command every time a request like this comes along doesn't scale well IMO; CON already has several redundancies[1]. Rather, what could be done is to provide a way to call Lua functions from CON, by giving them a state name. If you still wanted to have said functionality in CON then, you could make the function write to CON quotes, starting from a given one. Currently, Lunatic has no quote access, though.

[1]Quiz: which of the following commands can be removed without decreasing functionality: sound, soundonce, globalsound?

View PostJblade, on 08 January 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

Utilizing mapster script, is there a way to make custom monsters appear with rotatings and/or animations similar to how the default Duke monsters are?

View PostFox, on 08 January 2015 - 07:11 PM, said:

Yes. But is it worth the effort to load a script each time?

It's possible using EVENT_ANIMATESPRITES. Loading is a non-issue thanks to m32_autoexec.cfg.

View PostFox, on 10 January 2015 - 04:41 AM, said:

How feasible is it to set (preferably in-game) the number of bits in gamevar/gamearrays? I feel like 32 bits is a waste for boolean values. The downside is that it would require to use temporary variables for calculations.

We had that discussion already. Simply use a single gamevar/gamearray to group up to 32 boolean variables together.

View PostFox, on 10 January 2015 - 08:31 AM, said:

Recently it crashed several times for me, with the "cache space all locked up" message in the log. This time it also included a message about the keyboard:

ERROR: CACHE SPACE ALL LOCKED UP!
Switching keyboard layout from 00000409 to 00000416

The first message does not imply a "crash" in the proper sense.

Gotta follow the keyboard layout trail, I guess.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostHelixhorned, on 10 January 2015 - 08:57 AM, said:

Meaning to enumerate the names of the files in a given directory? Lunatic can do that. Adding a new command every time a request like this comes along doesn't scale well IMO; CON already has several redundancies[1]. Rather, what could be done is to provide a way to call Lua functions from CON, by giving them a state name. If you still wanted to have said functionality in CON then, you could make the function write to CON quotes, starting from a given one. Currently, Lunatic has no quote access, though.

Actually I was thinking of a def command. It may sound weird at first to have a def command that will affect the CON, but the purpose is purely to organize the files (maps, music or sounds) in folders. Think of loadgrp but with directories.

[1]Quiz: which of the following commands can be removed without decreasing functionality: sound, soundonce, globalsound?

I assume ifsound does the exact same check as soundonce.

We had that discussion already. Simply use a single gamevar/gamearray to group up to 32 boolean variables together.

While I have used some gamevars as bitfields, it would be too confusing to do so with unrelated effects. Plus it's not just boolean effects, sometime I am using a variable to store palette values, which use only 8 bits.

By the way, I always give priority to normal commands over switch. For example:
  ifspritepal 0
  {
    switch sprite[THISACTOR].picnum
    case BOSS1
    case BOSS2
    case BOSS3
    case BOSS4
      <code>
    break
    endswitch
  }

Does this actually make difference in processing, or am I imagining stuff?

This post has been edited by Fox: 10 January 2015 - 09:28 AM

• Honored Donor

Lately my mouse hasn't been interacting with the menu, ever since the updates came in to do with mouse navigation I suppose. The mouse appears to be behind the window so I can't see it, and doesn't influence what's currently selected. It selects the current option when I click though. Using eduke32 r4882 32-bit C++ build, windows 7 (64-bit), in windowed mode.

• Weaponized Autism

Are you using a mod without a tile in the CROSSHAIR spot? If not, you'll need to add one or use dynamicremap to set it to a tile that works. (You'll likely need to return -1 in EVENT_DISPLAYCROSSHAIR too.)

• Honored Donor

Ah yes, it works for vanilla, probably should have tried that out. It's a sign I need to play more classic Duke Posted Image

The issue was with the AMC TC so we'll try and get that fixed.

User is offline   Fox 

It seems SFLAG_BADGUY or SFLAG_HARDCODED_BADGUY always return false. It would be usefull if these could be used.

• Honored Donor

Bit of an urgent el problemo; r4904 closes immediately when you press the start button.

Edit: If it helps, I did some checking and r4882 is the last one that works for me, although I'd imagine the problem would be fairly obvious anyway.

EDuke32 2.0.0devel r4904 (32-bit) C++ build
Compiled Jan 10 2015 21:07:57
Using C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/ for game data
Using C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/addons/dc/ for game data
Using C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/addons/nw/ for game data
Using C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/addons/vacation/ for game data
Using C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/music/ for game data
Using C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/music/nwinter/ for game data
Using C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/music/vacation/ for game data
Using C:/GOG Games/Duke Nukem 3D/ for game data
Using C:/Users/Michael/Desktop/notepad plus/duke/ for game data
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (build 6.1.7601)
Initializing SDL system interface (compiled against SDL version 2.0.3, found version 2.0.3)
Using "windows" video driver
Searching for game data...

This post has been edited by Micky C: 11 January 2015 - 04:10 PM

User is offline   Fox 

Same here.

This is probably the cause:
r4886 | hendricks266 | 2015-01-08 07:14:47 -0800 (Thu, 08 Jan 2015) | 3 lines

Clean up autodetected game install search paths on all platforms that use them.

This should prevent Lunar Apocalypse from becoming Nuclear Winter with Megaton on Linux and Mac.

This post has been edited by Fox: 11 January 2015 - 04:24 PM

• Weaponized Autism

Micky C, on 11 January 2015 - 04:00 PM, said:

Bit of an urgent el problemo; r4904 closes immediately when you press the start button.

We've identified the issue and will be committing a fix shortly.

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options