Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Thanks, problem solved.

New problem Posted Image
r4908 mapster is giving a whole bunch of maps a level 5 corruption with a "sprite lists corrupted; error code 4; s=-1, i=16383", although previous versions of mapster32 are not giving this message.

Is this a false alarm, is it that these corruptions have always been there but undetected, or is it that the newer mapster is causing these corruptions? Scary stuff regarding the last two possibilities!

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

What do you do to cause that?

User is offline   Jblade 

I remember you added a console variable to set the crosshair color, any way to access that ingame via con?

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Parallaxed skies are screwed in resolutions lower than 640 x 480 (does anyone even use that?).

Fox, on 06 December 2014 - 03:43 PM, said:

It's also because the weapon disappear if you switch while it is being raised:

Posted Image

While this has been fixed, now there is a problem with switching to another weapon while the current one is being lowered. This can be fixed by checking if weapon_pos ≥ 0 before switching. This will add a delay before switching weapon, but it will still alow to cycle through all weapons quickly as TX intended.

Edit: It seems wantweaponfire is not being used, is that intended?

This post has been edited by Fox: 12 January 2015 - 02:32 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

After correctly reproducing sergey808a's and darkprince227's environments I have to confirm a number of bugs:
- Polymer Cycloid Emperor's skin here and here.
- "boxy explosion" (animation frame messed up, here)
- missing arm when using the nuke button (here)
- missing vending machine texture (here)

Thanks, sergey808a and darkprince227, for reporting, and your patience.

plus:
0060_keycard.md3 fails to load on startup when using the Polymost Override Pack

All these bugs seem to be autoload related, and I have a feeling that they're initiated by the autoload scan issue I've reported yesterday.

User is offline   Fox 

BOUNCEMINE translucency is flickering Polymost. Dunno the heck is that.

Edit: Previous/next weapon keys are broken when using the Pipebomb trigger.

This post has been edited by Fox: 14 January 2015 - 07:02 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

LeoD, on 13 January 2015 - 03:33 PM, said:

All these bugs [...], and I have a feeling that they're initiated by the autoload scan issue I've reported yesterday.
r4922 proves me wrong. Those issues have actually been introduced between r4633 (last OK version I could build), and r4639. And kplib.c is yet again among the suspects.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 15 January 2015 - 09:50 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

What issues are left remaining?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

TerminX, on 15 January 2015 - 12:59 PM, said:

What issues are left remaining?
Those linked in post #5105. It's extremely likely that they all have the same cause.

To reproduce you need the current HRP 5.3 ZIP, optionally the SC-55 Music Pack 4.0 (both also contained in the SFX package) from the HRP download page, and the matching Polymost HRP Override Pack 5.3.565 from here.

Put HRP + override into autoload and run EDuke32. The 0060_keycard.md3 load failure message will show up during startup already; the other bugs and more error log messages can be found when actually playing a level, e.g. E3L8.

Replace override by the music pack (others might do as well) to encounter the missing cycloid skin and the according error log message in E3L9.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by LeoD: 15 January 2015 - 02:12 PM

User is offline   sergey808a 

sergey808a, on 15 December 2014 - 12:03 AM, said:

When this bug will be fixed? :lol:
eduke32_win64_20141213-4814

Posted Image

At last, this bug has been fixed in eduke32_win64_20150115-4925.
I have been waiting this for a long time.
Thanks to the EDuke32 developers and thanks LeoD for detailed bugreport.

This post has been edited by sergey808a: 15 January 2015 - 11:34 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

sergey808a, on 15 January 2015 - 11:28 PM, said:

I have been waiting this for a long time.
One month...
Posted Image

I've just tested the newest eduke build, and I'm glad to say that where I am, everything seems to be working like a charm!
No boxy exposions, Duke's auto-destruct punching hand is visible, the snack venders are Highres again, the Cycloid is full and the crosshair is yellow. :lol:

The only teeny-weeny problem I have is in the Duke Caribbean HRP which I've addressed in the VacaPlus HRP thread about the non-HRP weapons being invisible.

I'm glad I could help locate these bugs, and I'll be sure to keep you chaps updated on anything as I find them.

Thank you guys so much for everything, Hail to the HRP/eduke team, baby! ;)

User is offline   sergey808a 

LeoD, on 16 January 2015 - 07:23 AM, said:

One month...
Posted Image

Almost 5 month!!!

This post has been edited by sergey808a: 16 January 2015 - 10:03 AM

User is offline   Fox 

Is it possible to set THISACTOR for "globalsounds" in EVENT_SOUND?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

sergey808a, on 16 January 2015 - 08:55 AM, said:

Almost 5 month!!!
Don't start counting before someone actually finds and reports a bug :lol: (this one on 2014-12-15, IIRC).

• Honored Donor

Still experiencing some random crashing with the AMC TC with r4925, first reported here with an earlier build. However this time when I tried out the debug build, the game wouldn't even let me load a map!

Error message (no crashlog produced):
Posted Image

Log file: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=kzHjQcfP

Btw the level 5 corruption occurring when using the AMC TC's mapster script file is still happening unfortunately.

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMicky C, on 16 January 2015 - 03:20 PM, said:

Posted Image

Fixed.

I think you would have gotten a crashlog if you clicked Retry.

• Honored Donor

View PostHendricks266, on 16 January 2015 - 04:37 PM, said:

I think you would have gotten a crashlog if you clicked Retry.

Me again. r4928. Pressing retry did not produce the crashlog.

Posted Image

User is offline   Jblade 

Is there a way to disable Megaton detection for a standalone mod? I swear I remember reading something added to the log in this effect. Every person who's having crash issues with the TC has Megaton installed.

• Honored Donor

That bug's been fixed already. Keep up with the times Posted Image
At least if you're referring to the startup problems. I really doubt that megaton would have anything to do with the in-game crashes or crash-on-exits.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 17 January 2015 - 01:10 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

I don't get any of those at all though, apart from rare times when the screen is rotating. It's hard for me to help track down and find out where the problem is (and if it's my fault) because most of the time people are just saying "I get crashes" without any more specifics.

I tracked down the L5 corruption error to the event analyzesprites in my M32 script file, here's what it looks like:
Spoiler

I'm still shit at M32 script so you might be able to spot right away what the problem is.

This post has been edited by Jblade: 17 January 2015 - 01:24 AM

User is offline   Fox 

The Shrinker is not being selected with Next Weapon if subweapon is set.

Edit: You can switch weapons during reloading in the DOS version. Oddly enough, that seems to be intended looking at the source code.

This post has been edited by Fox: 17 January 2015 - 02:21 PM

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostMicky C, on 16 January 2015 - 08:22 PM, said:

Me again. r4928. Pressing retry did not produce the crashlog.

Posted Image

C-CON lacks some necessary checks for whether the tile passed to the *shoot* commands is in fact valid.

User is offline   Fox 

Is it possible to add an .htflag to spawn JIBS6 like hard-coded enemies?

This post has been edited by Fox: 18 January 2015 - 10:56 PM

User is offline   Jason S. 

Forgot I even had an account on here!

Anyways, i'd just like to bring up the obvious efficiency issue plaguing Polymer due to a lack of graphical options and sliders. Skyrim, other Bethesda games (even a few with ENB), Serious Sam HD and other more complex games run so well on my older ATI Radeon HD 6670 (25-60fps on average) at full resolution (1600x900) under some really great settings, yet this low poly sector based game doesn't with Polymer at any resolution or setting, becoming unplayable very quickly even at 640x480 under the lowest texture setting. To note, Polymost runs at hundreds of frames per second with the highest available settings (that is just the two, screen and texture resolution :lol: ).

Its the number of lights that does it (Duke Burger is a nightmare), so i'm wondering if there's a way to make Polymer more efficient with more "advanced" menu options and sliders in the future, such as limiting the draw distance of real time lights, specular and shadow effects, turning off parallax and specular mapping separately, and changing the shadow resolution itself. The "advanced" menu has a massive empty space where these options could be placed, and i'm pretty sure this doesn't require a huge restructuring of the engine to implement.

The problem is that, the core effect of Polymer should run more or less as it appears it should, and perform the same or better than the above games. Polymer should not be left to the those with the best of cards when the core effect doesn't need them. I think this should be a must if more effects are going to be implemented in the future, as everyone's going to run into this problem sooner or later, and i'm sure only a few adjustments will have Polymer running way better on everyone's hardware, without too much quality degradation.

Thanks.

This post has been edited by Jason S.: 24 January 2015 - 11:29 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Most of the variables you asked about can be changed in the console at the moment using r_pr_ followed by the name of the variable.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 24 January 2015 - 11:44 PM

• Honored Donor

View PostJason S., on 24 January 2015 - 11:18 PM, said:

The problem is that, the core effect of Polymer should run more or less as it appears it should, and perform the same or better than the above games. Polymer should not be left to the those with the best of cards when the core effect doesn't need them. I think this should be a must if more effects are going to be implemented in the future, as everyone's going to run into this problem sooner or later, and i'm sure only a few adjustments will have Polymer running way better on everyone's hardware, without too much quality degradation.

It's no secret that polymer has long been unoptimised. The good news is that it should run much, much faster when it's closer to finished. I've heard that someone may be working on improving it at the moment, however what the end result of this is or when it'll be made public could be anyone's guess.

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFox, on 13 January 2015 - 03:41 PM, said:

View PostFox, on 17 January 2015 - 01:46 PM, said:

The Shrinker is not being selected with Next Weapon if subweapon is set.

Fixed.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostFox, on 13 January 2015 - 03:41 PM, said:

I was referring to a different problem, which appears to have been fixed since then. The rest was just like the DOS version, but the change is welcome.

Now a minor remaining problem with previous/next weapon keys. When you have no pipebomb ammo left, but there is still a pipebomb in the ground, you still can switch to the pipebomb trigger by pressing 6, but not with next/previous weapon.

This post has been edited by Fox: 25 January 2015 - 07:22 AM

User is offline   Jason S. 

View PostThe Commander, on 24 January 2015 - 11:44 PM, said:

Most of the variables you asked about can be changed in the console at the moment using r_pr_ followed by the name of the variable.

Thanks for the info. Found the list of Polymer commands too and tested it a bit. Of course, the console only allows you to change the number of overall lights and passes in total, yet the framerate still doesn't compare to Polymost's or my other games, and can still hit 12-20fps and just stay there for a long while. Most games use a draw distance for the effects, and i'm pretty sure that many super smooth games like Uncharted 2/3 would run like crap too if they extended the shadow and lighting draw distance almost to infinity like Polymer does at the moment.

It did help to an extent, but it wasn't the performance boost I expected. Removing certain effects didn't do as much as I expected, either. In the end, i'm betting on there also being an overall engine and/or shader usage efficiency problem which will have to be isolated later on. In detail, beforehand, the game would get up to 30-60fps with VSYNC on at maximum, even during Critical Mass's explosive ending or under a large shadow spotlight or two, its just that it's way too easy for it to begin lagging badly too, in either big areas or just in general too.

Perhaps in the future, I'll get something like 20-30fps on average.

View PostMicky C, on 25 January 2015 - 02:21 AM, said:

It's no secret that polymer has long been unoptimised. The good news is that it should run much, much faster when it's closer to finished. I've heard that someone may be working on improving it at the moment, however what the end result of this is or when it'll be made public could be anyone's guess.

I kinda forgot this thing was unfinished as its been out for several years now.

As for what this other person might be doing, i'm hoping it is some sort of tweak or the addition of advanced graphics options at least (so people don't have to use the console). Maybe it's just a set of maphack files which decreases the number of lights save for the shadow map spots. Seems like good news if it happens.

This post has been edited by Jason S.: 26 January 2015 - 01:29 AM

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options