Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   Alexraptor 

Its a WIP, its not out yet for the general public.

User is offline   Jokke_r 

Besides without normal/displacement maps or any light hacks all you will get from it are a few light effects with fire/gunfire/pickups/switches etc.
Just having polymer won't give you everything you see in the screenshots.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I had no idea what the priority settings were for....feel kinda stupid for not getting it. That makes perfect sense now.

User is offline   Hellbound 

Had the same.

User is offline   engineer 

How woudl one affix a light to a pre-existing sprite, such as a ceiling light?

Or better yet, a "flashlight" that only works when the Pistol is active?

BY THE NAME OF ST. JIMM THE PATRON SAINT OF COW-ORKING, I'VE DONE IT!!

Posted Image

This post has been edited by engineer: 17 May 2009 - 08:45 PM

Is it yours wall texture? Looks pretty good!

It's a texture from the current public version of the HRP, with a normal/specular map applied.

Yeah, but I was asking you did YOU made those normals/specs

Yes, I used Insane Bump to generate them and hand-altered them when needed.

Besides- the parallaxing isn't working in that shot. I'll put something new up when I get it working well enough to make some eye candy.

This post has been edited by engineer: 18 May 2009 - 12:26 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Is that supposed to be stone? Looks a little too shiny...unless I'm missing something. Good job on the bump, though.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

MusicallyInspired: when the game "seizes up" because sprites are in view, the "compiling GPU program..." messages keep popping? They're supposed to stop after every different one has been compiled. Can you attach eduke32.log after having looked at sprites and reproduced the seizing for a good 30 seconds? Thanks.

User is offline   Jezza 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on May 18 2009, 05:32 AM, said:

Is that supposed to be stone? Looks a little too shiny...unless I'm missing something. Good job on the bump, though.

That looks like it is underground... often underground stone becomes damp and looks just like that... I'm making excuses, but I like it.

• The Sarien Encounter

Ah, actually those don't keep coming up. My apologies. I incorrectly assumed they were constantly popping up but it's just a group of them after/while the map loads. Actually nothing appears in the console when the seizing occurs. Also, I said earlier that when the slowdowns occur the FPS increases or is unaffected. This is incorrect. I was actually looking at the MS count which goes up into the thousands the closer I get to a sprite. The FPS is displayed in brackets and goes from 10 FPS all the way down to actually 0 FPS.

Here's a screenshot and a closeup I managed to get of one of the bulletholes...took forever because of 0 FPS! You can see the black box around it and the checkered/garbled nature of the sprite (and also my horrendous FPS count on the top right).

Posted ImagePosted Image

EDIT: Also here's a couple screenshots showing how you can see a bullethole or other sprite through a wall if close enough.

Posted ImagePosted Image

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 18 May 2009 - 07:59 AM

Well, that looks awful. Maybe try installing older versions of your graphics driver and/or fiddling with your control panel settings.

Roma Loom: I tested your set of door textures in-game. It looks like this:
Posted Image

Note that I had to resave the glow map from gimp because kplib didn't like something about its header. Are you using a crazy russian image editor or something?
The specular map looks fine, I looked closely and the edge of the letters doesn't shine like you said it did.
The textures look great, by the way. If all of the HRP art is replaced by top-notch stuff like that, it'll be pretty cool!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on May 18 2009, 08:32 AM, said:

That would be the overpowered Specular map.

User is offline   ReaperTK 

Looking good!

I've been playing around in Polymer and like what I see. I've got an ATI card (Two 4870's). I don't have any graphical issues, but most maps fail to load at all. Where can I get a hold of the current E1L1 polymer maphack? I want to see if it works on my setup.

On a side note - On the 3DR forums there was a shot posted of the Death Row sub showing both the above and under water areas in Polymer. Was that done by the use of sector effectors/tags or was it done through CON, and how easily could that be adapted to non water sectors for true ROR? At the moment I'm mostly interested in just having the ability for the player to see ROR sectors, I'm not too worried about having the ability to move between ROR sectors yet.

Keep up the good work. I'm anxiously awaiting an official release.

This post has been edited by ReaperTK: 18 May 2009 - 01:56 PM

User is offline   lycanox 

View PostReaperTK, on May 18 2009, 11:56 PM, said:

Looking good!

I've been playing around in Polymer and like what I see. I've got an ATI card (Two 4870's). I don't have any graphical issues, but most maps fail to load at all. Where can I get a hold of the current E1L1 polymer maphack? I want to see if it works on my setup.

On a side note - On the 3DR forums there was a shot posted of the Death Row sub showing both the above and under water areas in Polymer. Was that done by the use of sector effectors/tags or was it done through CON, and how easily could that be adapted to non water sectors for true ROR? At the moment I'm mostly interested in just having the ability for the player to see ROR sectors, I'm not too worried about having the ability to move between ROR sectors yet.

Keep up the good work. I'm anxiously awaiting an official release.

For the ROR an earlier implemented system was used. However while i did hear ROR works better now. It still isn't as reliable as it should be, if you want to use it on a big scale.

User is offline   ReaperTK 

View Postlycanox, on May 18 2009, 06:27 PM, said:

For the ROR an earlier implemented system was used. However while i did hear ROR works better now. It still isn't as reliable as it should be, if you want to use it on a big scale.

I do know that at one time there was a horribly buggy implementation that required SEs in all sectors that could see into the ROR sector and it was such a PITA that it wasn't worth it, but I thought I read in the old Polymer thread that ROR in polymer was trivial by design or something.

I'm having an issue- I can't get the Parallax maps to work.

I got them to work once. ONCE out of over 30 tries, but even after overriding and tweaking the scale and bias settings I can't reproduce the effect I was able to pull off sometime last night.

make sure you set the r_pr_parallaxoverride back to 0

I do- But I can't replicate the results of this one instance! That's my current issue.

Are you sure the heightmap is stored correctly as alpha channel for then normal map? Are you sure the game is loading the texture, have you tried deleting the texture cache?

User is offline   Roma Loom 

• Loomsday Device

So I'm still havign trouble with gloss with texture #4304 on two machines here at the office. Can anyone test it at their end?

The deflines for #4304:
texture 4304 {
   pal 0 { file "highres/textures/4304.png" specpower 25 specfactor 2 }
   glow { file "highres/textures/4304_glow.png" }
   detail { file "highres/detail/metal.png" xscale 0.15 yscale 0.15 }
   normal { file "highres/textures/4304_normal.png" parallaxbias 0 parallaxscale 0.05 }
   specular { file "highres/textures/4304_gloss.png" }
}

The link for texture #4304 package

The results I'm getting concerning specular (black spots and yellow outline on the letters):
Posted Image Posted Image

The result I want is the pic Plagman posted above.

This post has been edited by Roma Loom: 19 May 2009 - 04:54 AM

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

View PostRoma Loom, on May 19 2009, 02:52 PM, said:

So I'm still havign trouble with gloss with texture #4304 on two machines here at the office. Can anyone test it at their end?

The deflines for #4304:
texture 4304 {
   pal 0 { file "highres/textures/4304.png" specpower 25 specfactor 2 }
   glow { file "highres/textures/4304_glow.png" }
   detail { file "highres/detail/metal.png" xscale 0.15 yscale 0.15 }
   normal { file "highres/textures/4304_normal.png" parallaxbias 0 parallaxscale 0.05 }
   specular { file "highres/textures/4304_gloss.png" }
}

The link for texture #4304 package

The results I'm getting concerning specular (black spots and yellow outline on the letters):
Posted Image Posted Image

The result I want is the pic Plagman posted above.

your specpower seems way to big. This should give you a really big specular with a rather sharp edge that just looks very unnatural, like a big round spot. Try putting it at something like 0.5. I have yet to use anything over 3 I think and thats on stuff like carpet etc that shouldn't have much of a highlight at all.

User is offline   Roma Loom 

• Loomsday Device

Looks like I've misread how glossmaps work in polymer. Plagman has already explained it to me. Everything is fine when I use simple RGB greyscaled gloss maps. Problem solved. Thanx.

The problem here is that he put his specular map in the alpha channel. 0 alpha means a specular exponent of 0, which means an infinitely wide specular spot. If you're trying to achieve no specular highlight, it should be 0 in the RGB channels instead. Basically if you want specular maps to act like gloss maps in most games (like Doom 3) just dump the grayscale of the gloss map in all three RGB and don't put an alpha channel.

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

View PostPlagman, on May 19 2009, 03:41 PM, said:

The problem here is that he put his specular map in the alpha channel. 0 alpha means a specular exponent of 0, which means an infinitely wide specular spot. If you're trying to achieve no specular highlight, it should be 0 in the RGB channels instead. Basically if you want specular maps to act like gloss maps in most games (like Doom 3) just dump the grayscale of the gloss map in all three RGB and don't put an alpha channel.

Wouldn't it be an infinitely small specular with alpha (specpower) 0?

In any case only make changes to the alpha if you want varying size of the specular, the RGB controls the strength per colour channel.

No, an exponent of zero always results in 1, so specpower 0 means full specular highlight no matter what the angle is. A specular exponent of 1 makes a very diffuse and wide specular reflection as the result is directly proportional to the dot product of the perfect reflection vector and the eye vector. As the specular exponent tends towards infinity, the specular reflection looks more and more like a point.

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

Don't listen to me, not sure how I was thinking about the specular power. Infact I have several textures defined with a power that high.

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options