Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Polymer isn't done yet, obviously isn't released (even though we're close, the remaining issues are big), and as far as I'm concerned people shouldn't really be using it yet. We allow discussion of the svn builds because the svn is public and there's nothing we can do about that other than move it somewhere else. Personally, I just allow discussion of it because I'm not naive enough to think you can sweep stuff that's already on the Internet under the rug, and I'm not stupid enough to try and shut down the biggest active discussion in a community for a 13 year old game. :P

Anyway, the only people who are given binaries by us are people who can show that they're actually seriously making Duke content, or our personal friends. Everyone else can either figure out svn and compile it themselves or just not use it until it's released.

User is offline   Jokke_r 

View Postasdasd, on May 20 2009, 10:59 PM, said:

I don't know how to use this file.... I have put it on my autoload/duke3d.grp folder like every other file... duke3d_hrp.zip , eduke32_mus.zip.... but I dont see nothing different
what I have to do?

I haven't tried it yet since i'm not at home but you can most likely extract the files from the polymer_hrp.zip and simple add them into the duke3D_hrp.zip overwriting any existing files. It was not meant to work separately

User is offline   supergoofy 

View Postasdasd, on May 20 2009, 11:59 AM, said:

I don't know how to use this file.... I have put it on my autoload/duke3d.grp folder like every other file... duke3d_hrp.zip , eduke32_mus.zip.... but I dont see nothing different
what I have to do?

you don't need duke3d_hrp.zip

The problem is already described by me. the polymer_hrp folder inside polymer_hrp.zip is not needed.

1. unpack polymer_hrp.zip by right clicking on it and choose extract here.
2. a new folder with the name polymer_hrp will be created
3. enter in this folder, mark all files and folders and pack them in a new polymer_hrp.zip (don't use compression, just store)
4. then put the new polymer_hrp.zip in autoload folder

User is offline   asdasd 

ok, i have already done that, and nothing... everything is unchanged...
i also have put it alone in the autoload/duke3d.grp folder and oldgraphics apeared, no loaded any hi-texture

i'm using eduke32_snapshot_20090313.zip 14-Mar-2009 02:13 1.1M
is good for this version?

User is offline   Mia Max 

@asdasd: I guess you will need the yet unreleased eduke32 polymer renderer.

User is offline   asdasd 

ok, thanks!!
i have guessed

User is offline   Benichon 

I just post to put a little try i have done with normal (i tried parallaxbias and parallaxscale defs but i don't know where i can use it because it turn or move the texture when we move) and specular doesn't seem to do a thing but i think it is because i must go forward to understand how it works.

Posted Image

I have no much time but i hope i can find some to make some other tests.

This post has been edited by Benichon: 21 May 2009 - 09:25 PM

User is offline   Jason S. 

View PostBenichon, on May 21 2009, 03:49 PM, said:

I just post to put a little try i have done with normal (i tried parallaxbias and parallaxscale defs but i don't know where i can use it because it turn or move the texture when we move) and specular doesn't seem to do a thing but i think it is because i must go forward to understand how it works.

Posted Image

I have no much time but i hope i can find some to make some other tests.

Picture looks great. My new card should be in by the time this releases. If not, it wont matter too much. I think the 6200LE should play it decently also.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

What will you do with your old card? :P :P :blink: :blink:

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 22 May 2009 - 04:19 AM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostBenichon, on May 22 2009, 01:49 AM, said:

Posted Image

Are you working to a solution to that lightning issue, obviously the ground shouldn't be bright just outside the dumpster since the flame's light can't hit it, I know it probably would be fixed with spotlights (as I recall, they cast true shadows), but can't you make a regular light source that also creates shadows like the spotlights?

User is offline   Piterplus 

I think that Benichon just maked normal maps for environement textures and didn't touched the lights, so he cannot be responsible for the lights issues (if they are existed at all)
edit: Sorry, Benichon, corrected.

This post has been edited by Piterplus: 23 May 2009 - 01:39 AM

User is offline   Benichon 

View PostDaedolon, on May 22 2009, 06:50 AM, said:

Are you working to a solution to that lightning issue, obviously the ground shouldn't be bright just outside the dumpster since the flame's light can't hit it, I know it probably would be fixed with spotlights (as I recall, they cast true shadows), but can't you make a regular light source that also creates shadows like the spotlights?

I juste made normal textures for this place and i didn't touch the light. It was the light of the fire (all fires : fire and fire2 use this type of light).
It is a bug of the lights i think :P. I'm not sure.
May be replace the type of light can correct this and make it more correct like what you say.

@Piterplus : It was me who done this screen with my own normal textures :P.

Edit : Thx and no problem ^^.

This post has been edited by Benichon: 23 May 2009 - 06:24 AM

@Daedalon: Eh, spotlights would be the way to go.. As I've heard from Plagman, doing something like, say, POINTLIGHTS with the capability of casting shadows like SPOTLIGHTS would take many more rendering passes. That would be quite taxing.

And even normal spotlights in large quantities tend to rape your framerate somewhat, so.. Yeah.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on May 22 2009, 04:19 AM, said:

What will you do with your old card? :P :P :blink: :blink:

Burn it...

No, I may use by brother to sell it. My dad could do it too, he has sold things from ebay before.

EDIT: Is there a possibility that you are seeking one on the nvidia side? Mine is an agp, however.

This post has been edited by Jason S.: 23 May 2009 - 02:38 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostJason S., on May 22 2009, 09:39 PM, said:

Burn it...

No, I may use by brother to sell it. My dad could do it too, he has sold things from ebay before.

EDIT: Is there a possibility that you are seeking one on the nvidia side? Mine is an agp, however.

Yes! I'm looking for a nVidia. AND I have AGP! I don't actually have a mobo with PCI-E yet.....poor me. I'm still running on 768 MB of RAM too. My current ATI card is 512 MB, what's your card?

View PostMusicallyInspired, on May 23 2009, 03:00 PM, said:

Yes! I'm looking for a nVidia. AND I have AGP! I don't actually have a mobo with PCI-E yet.....poor me. I'm still running on 768 MB of RAM too. My current ATI card is 512 MB, what's your card?

Mine's also an AGP M/B. With a GeForce 7900 GS with 512MB GDDR3 RAM. In a few months, my computer will also be running PCI-E

Not even the NVIDIA 8600GTS which is equal or better to 7900GS can handle the Polymer and Polymer HRP easily. And you also need a fast dual core cpu. Of course if you are not going to use HRP then you don't have to worry that much. I believe that the NVIDIA 7300GT will be able to handle the Polymer renderer if you are not going to use HRP.

View Postsupergoofy, on May 23 2009, 07:40 PM, said:

Not even the NVIDIA 8600GTS which is equal or better to 7900GS can handle the Polymer and Polymer HRP easily. And you also need a fast dual core cpu. Of course if you are not going to use HRP then you don't have to worry that much. I believe that the NVIDIA 7300GT will be able to handle the Polymer renderer if you are not going to use HRP.

The GeForce 8600GTS is far superior to my 7900GS. It may handle Polymer + HRP a bit better once all the optimisations and bug fixes are done.

This post has been edited by KillerBudgie: 23 May 2009 - 11:09 AM

How many cores can eduke32 handle?
I have a quad-core and cpu usage is at max. 50% at lower framerate.
If eduke32 uses only 2 cores, than it would be use cpu to full capasity.
Mayby gpu isn't that important, if you know what I mean.

I remember when I changed gpu 2 years ago from a lowend gpu to a much better one HRP wasn't running really better at all.
Only change of cpu brought me a much better performance.

When you run mods like Duke Plus with HRP, you need a fast dual core cpu.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Actually, RAM has a big role in this...my 2 gigs with the dual core intel runs things fine at a nice resolution. (and a nvidia 7600 gt)

View PostMusicallyInspired, on May 23 2009, 07:00 AM, said:

Sorry to break it to ya, but this is a 256MB card. This 6200LE is AGPx8 and has 3 sets of pins. Still any good to ya?

@ mr.Flipper

Same here. FarCry would stall and stutter, even lock up for more then a minute, on 256MB of system RAM. PCs require much more because it is it's working space. On a console like Xbox, it only needs it's 64MB of system ram, which includes it's internal VRAM. I've noticed that on the xbox settings, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory will run smoother on Xbox itself anyways, even on the currect set up I have.

You also have to count that FarCry Instincts looks alot like the back of the PC box art with shadows on the BG. When I played, I never could figure out how to get it so show on the BG. It only shown on the objects.

This post has been edited by Jason S.: 23 May 2009 - 01:52 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

256MB? Hmmm...naw never mind. Might as well wait to get a better one.

But to own a nVidia card....without having any driver problems with Linux or Polymer or anything.....

View PostMr.Flibble, on May 23 2009, 10:04 PM, said:

Actually, RAM has a big role in this...my 2 gigs with the dual core intel runs things fine at a nice resolution. (and a nvidia 7600 gt)

Your 7600GT is slightly more powerful than the one I'm using. But this model was only designed for PCI-E.

User is offline   Chip 

And you also need a fast dual core cpu.

Huh?
Eduke32 now supports multi-core processors? :P

Well, mine is a 3.20 GHz Pentium 4 HT processor. I wonder if it might work with that...

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostChip, on May 25 2009, 12:21 AM, said:

Huh?
Eduke32 now supports multi-core processors? :P

Last time I herd it didn't so that's new to me. :P

Look at my CPU usage. All cores are needed. You can see when I exit eduke32.

Posted Image

View PostMia Max, on May 24 2009, 02:13 PM, said:

Look at my CPU usage. All cores are needed. You can see when I exit eduke32.

Posted Image

Well, it all depends on what you're running. What are you running BTW?

I'm not criticising anyone. Because I know for a fact that there are computers out there that are faster and more powerful than what I'm using.

This post has been edited by KillerBudgie: 24 May 2009 - 05:33 AM

@KillerBudgie: I don't know exactly what you mean.

After I exit eduke32, CPU usage is at 1%

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options