Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Alright, committed the newer versions. Thanks!

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

I recently completed the classic renderer's capability of drawing walls with non-power-of-two y sizes:

Posted Image

However, the original maps and imaginably custom ones too already relied on the particular panning with the incorrect drawing. Because the GL modes which came later always draw textures correctly, they had to implement various hacks to make theses cases display like in classic. The result is that now, all three renderers behave differently when faced with such problematic walls.

Here's what I consider correct behavior: the texture wraps once over the ypanning range of 0..255:
Animated PNG 1

This is the legacy classic behavior for reference. The texture is repeated ~2.5 times.
Animated PNG 2

Now things bet hairy. Polymost implemented some "corrections" to be able to display e.g. the "biker bimbos" panel in front of the steroids secret in E1L1, or the picture near the vault in E3L2. However, these are of course really hacks, since it's not easily possible (nor desirable) to reproduce exactly the classic renderer's way of drawing such walls.
Animated PNG 3

Polymer does the panning correction too, but in a different fashion than Polymost.
Animated PNG 4

The reason I'm saying this all is that it is currently a horrible mess. What I intend to do is
1) in the short term, make Polymer's offset "correction" behave like Polymost's. This seems like a sensible thing to do and would fix the picture in E3L2.
2) sometime in the future, new maps will be saved and loaded with the panning values doing what they're supposed to do.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Thank you for that. That's something I was really looking for. :(

View PostHelixhorned, on 08 July 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

However, the original maps and imaginably custom ones too already relied on the particular panning with the incorrect drawing. Because the GL modes which came later always draw textures correctly, they had to implement various hacks to make theses cases display like in classic. The result is that now, all three renderers behave differently when faced with such problematic walls.

I don't mind, bug is bug.

This post has been edited by Fox: 08 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostHelixhorned, on 08 July 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

Polymost implemented some "corrections" to be able to display e.g. the "biker bimbos" panel in front of the steroids secret in E1L1, or the picture near the vault in E3L2. However, these are of course really hacks, since it's not easily possible (nor desirable) to reproduce exactly the classic renderer's way of drawing such walls.

I think two more examples are the San Andreas fault sign in E1L5 and the cinema movie on the projector itself (not the screen) in E1L1.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostTerminX, on 06 July 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

Alright, committed the newer versions. Thanks!

This has brought up some new warnings (yet one left on MinGW):
source/music.c: In function 'MUSIC_ErrorString':
source/music.c:84:21: warning: assignment discards 'const' qualifier from pointer target type [enabled by default]

• Weaponized Autism

No, that was caused by r2796, which broke building entirely, then Plagman fixed the build in r2798 but only as a stopgap.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostTerminX, on 17 June 2012 - 08:39 AM, said:

I've been spending my limited free time on Max Payne 3 lately (I haven't had time to actually play a game in ages). Making the tile sizes available is a really simple change though... it's literally 2 lines copied from Mapster32 into EDuke32.

Huh, has this been implemented? I failed in finding anything about it in the Changelog and etc.

User is offline   fgsfds 

Is this somehow related to this? http://i.imgur.com/WgBz1.jpg
I think this only happens in polymer with top-oriented textures.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

The space(use) key has ceased to work when trying to reload a map after dying.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: no_space.jpg

• Weaponized Autism

View PostLeoD, on 09 July 2012 - 07:22 AM, said:

This is on purpose. r2802:

Remove BUTTON(gamefunc_Jump) and KB_KeyPressed(sc_Space) from AdvanceTrigger so you can type spaces in savegame names.

You can press Enter, KPEnter, LMB, your "Open" key, and your "Fire" key to advance prompts.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostHendricks266, on 09 July 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

This is on purpose. r2802:
You can press Enter, KPEnter, LMB, your "Open" key, and your "Fire" key to advance prompts.
I'm pretty sure that not so long ago I could have spaces in savegames and could reload the map using space...well, maybe some restructuring has happened which now prevents having both.

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostFox, on 08 July 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

Thank you for that. That's something I was really looking for. :(

That's great, but I have reverted the correct drawing for now because it's the logical thing to do currently: the original levels rely on how those walls are drawn, and we have the correction hacks in place for the GL renderers. So I hope you don't mind waiting until the new map format arrives (this is something that is discussed on IRC from time to time). Levels saved with that one will then always have the correct panning, across all renderers.

View PostLeoD, on 08 July 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

This has brought up some new warnings (yet one left on MinGW):
source/music.c: In function 'MUSIC_ErrorString':
source/music.c:84:21: warning: assignment discards 'const' qualifier from pointer target type [enabled by default]

Oh hey, I wasn't even aware we had Windows-exclusive code other that winlayer.c and the like up till now. D'oh to that.

View PostFox, on 08 July 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

Huh, has this been implemented? I failed in finding anything about it in the Changelog and etc.

No, and I'm not sure it's only "2 lines copied from Mapster32", since as far as I can see CON has no support for system (i.e. non-user) arrays.

View Postempy, on 08 July 2012 - 09:26 PM, said:

Is this somehow related to this? http://i.imgur.com/WgBz1.jpg
I think this only happens in polymer with top-oriented textures.

Absolutely related, though not as easy, and with r2824 they should be identical for Polymost and Polymer.

View PostLeoD, on 09 July 2012 - 07:22 AM, said:

What troubles me more is that the use key (which for me isn't space) has stopped working as a means to fast-forward the level ending screen. IMO one shouldn't assume a particular binding of keys to functions.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Yeah, I was in fact wrong when I said it was 2 lines. It actually requires a fair bit more of the array system changes from Mapster32 to be propagated back into EDuke32 itself, which is why it hasn't been done yet.

User is offline   Fox 

So I am having a little trouble with Duke Nukem 64 maps. Apparently the geniuses tought it would be a good idea to completely shift the sound numbers. So the maps have a completely different sounds, including many hard-coded sounds.

I have already made a comparison list beetween the sounds in the ROM and the PC. For example, the speech at the beggining of Hollywood Holocaust now uses what originally was the Protozoid Slimer death sound. Sound 396 which is the last sound avaiable is now 255.

How exactly I solve this issue? You can't really make it work in CON because of the hard-coded sounds, and frankly I don't expect to make a workaround with just EVENT_SOUND, since it would take forever and it would never be 100%.

A possibility I tought was of using a Mapster script in these maps. But I don't want to save a map file in Mapster since it will change the size of some sprites and attempt to repair my sectors among other things. And as far I know there isn't an option which if I saved a map in Mapster without actually doing anything every single byte will remain the same.

This post has been edited by Fox: 09 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFox, on 09 July 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

A possibility I tought was of using a Mapster script in these maps. But I don't want to save a map file in Mapster since it will change the size of some sprites and attempt to repair my sectors among other things. And as far I know there isn't an option which if I saved a map in Mapster without actually doing anything every single byte will remain the same.

If you can work out preserving the map data, I wrote M32scripts to do exactly what you need, for Vaca+ and NW+. The original code is in the SVN but it's a little bit specialized because I needed to make two passes, at least for picnum switching.

User is offline   Fox 

By the way, I have defined a level for E1L8 and there is virtually no way in telling the difference beetween it and an User Map.

Adding a variable that returns whenever you are in a User Map or not may help, but it would only work 100% if I could change the slot occupied by User Map.

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostHelixhorned, on 09 July 2012 - 11:14 AM, said:

What troubles me more is that the use key (which for me isn't space) has stopped working as a means to fast-forward the level ending screen. IMO one shouldn't assume a particular binding of keys to functions.

By the way, I can't reproduce this any more, and I'm not finding a difference between r2801 and r2802 for my particular case either. Go figure...

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Running r2834, textures such as tile 889 running water no longer animates on walls. They still work on floors and masked walls though. Actually they seem to work on white walls (void space boundary) too. I haven't looked into it much, hopefully it's one of those bugs which is obvious to fix. It's kind of a biggie as it affects the original levels too.

• EDuke32 Developer

Oops, my bad. Should be fixed with r2835.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

New nedmalloc version available:

v1.10 beta 3 17th July 2012:

[master 5f26c1a] Due to a bug introduced in sha 7a9dd5c (17th April 2010), nedmalloc has never allocated more than a single mspace when using the system pool. This effectively had disabled concurrency for any allocation > THREADCACHEMAX (8Kb) which no doubt made nedmalloc v1.10 betas 1 and 2 appear no faster than system allocators. My thanks to the eagle eyes of Gavin Lambert for spotting this.

User is offline   Mark 

Thanks. For us non-technical types, do we gain something noticable from it?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMarked, on 19 July 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

Thanks. For us non-technical types, do we gain something noticable from it?
If you're on a modern OS: most likely not.
WinXP/Linux 2.4 : maybe.
I'm not a technical type in terms of C programming but I wouldn't expect the game to run any faster except maybe for loading times and avoiding loading-related jerks if your PC is at its limits.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Typing DNSHOWMAP always gives the message: "SHOW MAP: ON", never "OFF".

EDIT - Debian Wheezy 64bit compiler warnings:
source/sdlmusic.c: In function ‘MUSIC_Init’:
source/sdlmusic.c:157:9: warning: ISO C90 forbids mixed declarations and code [-Wdeclaration-after-statement]

src/driver_sdl.c: In function ‘fillData’:
src/driver_sdl.c:101:8: warning: pointer of type ‘void *’ used in arithmetic [-Wpointer-arith]

src/sdlayer.c: In function ‘getvalidmodes’:
src/sdlayer.c:957:5: warning: ISO C90 forbids mixed declarations and code [-Wdeclaration-after-statement]

make LTO=1 :

engine.o (symbol from plugin): warning: memset used with constant zero length parameter; this could be due to transposed parameters

obj/xdelta3.o (symbol from plugin): warning: memset used with constant zero length parameter; this could be due to transposed parameters

This post has been edited by LeoD: 26 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

User is offline   Fox 

How is the plan to control the animations before the level starts (like The Birth episode) or after you finish (like when you kill a boss) going in?

Right now I am forced to use some ugly hack that essentially freezes the game by setting all statnums to zero, unless I don't know a better way to do so?

• Weaponized Autism

View PostLeoD, on 20 July 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

EDIT - Debian Wheezy 64bit compiler warnings:

For future reference, if you edit a six-day old post there will not be any attention drawn to it, and for those of us who use the "Go to first unread post" button it may not be seen at all. It's OK to have two posts in a row in a thread. If you have something new to add and time has passed, you can use discretion and make a new post.

I cannot fix these warnings myself because I do not have a Linux environment under which to test. :(

View PostFox, on 26 July 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

How is the plan to control the animations before the level starts (like The Birth episode) or after you finish (like when you kill a boss) going in?

I don't have the code in front of me but I believe that actor code does not run when certain GAME_MODE / gm values are set, and it differs on single player vs multiplayer.

User is offline   Fox 

First of all, I have a question: how I am supposed to check if the ID of an player is valid? Something like sprite[].statnum MAXSTATUS but for a player...

Also I had like to request an orientation bit for "texture repeat", which would have the following effect:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fox: 27 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

• Weaponized Autism

...You want us to add a flag to enable a bug that does not exist in the first place? I can understand aiming for accuracy in Resurgence, but this is going off the deep end.

Give us an example of an actual good reason to add this and then we'll think about it. :(

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFox, on 27 July 2012 - 10:07 PM, said:

First of all, I have a question: how I am supposed to check if the ID of an player is valid? Something like sprite[].statnum MAXSTATUS but for a player...

Are you talking about the player ID, or the sprite ID of the player sprite? If you are talking about the player ID, then it will always be 0 in a single player game, and it will never be greater than the maximum number of players in a multiplayer game.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostHendricks266, on 28 July 2012 - 01:36 AM, said:

...You want us to add a flag to enable a bug that does not exist in the first place? I can understand aiming for accuracy in Resurgence, but this is going off the deep end.

Give us an example of an actual good reason to add this and then we'll think about it. :(

Huh? This has nothing to do with Resurgence (and I don't think Duke 64 render the bleeding of tiles like that).

I want it for drawing repeat patterns, which I eventually used for other projects like this:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fox: 28 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Can we put in spotlights that don't cast shadows yet? Is it in the works?

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options