Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostJames, on 07 June 2012 - 12:54 AM, said:

Just a quick question/query - I just got reminded of that sprite tagging feature which is amazingly useful, but my only 'issue' is that I can't use it for the new sprites I coded for AMC TC effects and stuff...is there already a way I can add my sprites to the list of things you can give names to or would it require a new def line to be coded in or something?

EVENT_LINKTAGS is your friend.

Also speaking of effectors and stuff, I took a look at the M32 script section and couldn't see anything but is there also a way to add my new enemy/effect sprites to the 'hide sprites' command in Mapster? I took a look to see if I could just do it manually but didn't turn up much look.

I think there's no way currently, but that should be doable in a similar fashion to the above.

User is offline   Jblade 

Cool, thanks :) Just another question you might have the answer to - I'm currently rewriting some GUI CON code stuff for the AMC TC, and I know multiplayer is broken at the minute but I don't want to write stuff that will screw things up when it's working again. I take it I still have to seperate gameplay stuff from screen code, right? So in other words if I'm say working on a vending machine that changes some player variables when you click a button, I still have to code an actor to do that? or is it ok to do things like that if it's only changing the player's variables?

• EDuke32 Developer

Yeah, it's best and cleanest if no information leaks between the game state and whatever happens locally.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostHelixhorned, on 07 June 2012 - 03:54 AM, said:

Yeah, it's best and cleanest if no information leaks between the game state and whatever happens locally.

Alright, that's good to know, thanks.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I wonder, I wish Eduke had support to fog and colorized sectors outside of palletes. If I, for example, want a nightvision google that replaces shading with green tinting, I must define a pelette for each shade... while I wish I could write the shade in a variable and set the tinting based on that variable... perhaps that's a little beyond Eduke's range.

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostFox, on 08 June 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

I wonder, I wish Eduke had support to fog and colorized sectors outside of palletes. If I, for example, want a nightvision google that replaces shading with green tinting, I must define a pelette for each shade... while I wish I could write the shade in a variable and set the tinting based on that variable... perhaps that's a little beyond Eduke's range.

"A palette for each shade" is pretty much exactly how the classic renderer works, if you take "palette" to mean "256-index lookup". IIRC your mod was primarily aimed at classic, right? I still think that modifying the base palette (the mapping from 256 indices to R,G,B triples) is the way to go there. You'd "simply" make every color fade to a green instead of black. But as I said earlier, EDuke32 currently has no convenient support for that sort of thing, so if necessary I can bump that up in my priority list.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Well, it would be nice to have some way of redefining tints and fogpals in CON on the fly. It would make a few weird hacks/ideas I've had floating around no longer needed.

User is offline   Fox 

Yeah, that's what I meant. I want a way to define palette-like features on the fly.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Haha! Nice!

User is offline   Fox 

Is it possible to add a command to Eduke32 which returns the x or y dimensions or offset of a tile? There are plenty of uses for that, especially for drawing sprites on screen.

User is offline   Fox 

More requests... I just hope TerminX is still ready to use.

I had like to have an actorless command like EVENT_LOADACTOR and another events that works just like useractor (without an actor). There are plenty of effects that are achieved by running a code when the level is load or contantly through the game, but they depends on pre-existing actors. So I had like to have two events that 1. run independent of actors; 2. run their codes before all actors; 3. gamevar THISACTOR is set to -1;

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFox, on 17 June 2012 - 05:26 AM, said:

More requests... I just hope TerminX is still ready to use.

I had like to have an actorless command like EVENT_LOADACTOR and another events that works just like useractor (without an actor). There are plenty of effects that are achieved by running a code when the level is load or contantly through the game, but they depends on pre-existing actors. So I had like to have two events that 1. run independent of actors; 2. run their codes before all actors; 3. gamevar THISACTOR is set to -1;

I don't see why that is necessary. I presume you have at least one sprite per map, so EVENT_LOADACTOR will execute. And if you want some code to execute exactly once, just define a state that gets called from the first and only the first sprite that executes LOADACTOR (set up a flag for that purpose).

• Evil Overlord

I tend to just run all code like that from APLAYER since it's always going to be around. Also if you want code to run before anything else (visibly) runs you can always use EVENT_DISPLAYROOMS.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I've been spending my limited free time on Max Payne 3 lately (I haven't had time to actually play a game in ages). Making the tile sizes available is a really simple change though... it's literally 2 lines copied from Mapster32 into EDuke32.

Is Max Payne 3 any good? I'd like to hear from if it's any good so I may decide to go out and buy it for myself.

• Evil Overlord

I PMed Hendricks about this forever ago but it was never resolved:

Revision 2726 broke the ability to not use any grp at all (and may break the ability to use an entirely new grp file although that I have no way of testing that). This means most of my projects can't use anything past r2725.

Edit:

Going way back (not sure how I didn't catch this sooner, I must not have updated EDuke32 in the mods that used this):

r2569 | helixhorned | 2012-03-29 14:17:03 -0700 (Thu, 29 Mar 2012) | 7 lines

Make makepalookup() accept NULL for 'remapbuf', meaning "use identity mapping".

Also,
 - use this in game.c and astub.c palookup loading code
 - when makepalookup() is passed a 0 palnum, return early.  This means that
   'fogpal' will silently fail when attempting to change pal 0.
 - in 'makepalookup' DEF command, error out if passed a pal of 0

Unfortunately failing on fogpal 0 means that my mods which have a differently colored default visibility fog than black (for various reasons) are broken.

• Evil Overlord

Just saw a commit to fix problem 2. Thanks Helix!

User is offline   Fox 

Since TX is around, gotta ask: is it possible to make 8bit tiles automatically work like highres ones?

Here is an example of what I want...

Posted Image Posted Image

To achieve this effect, currently it's necessary for me to set the same tile twice in the DEF:

tilefromtexture 5120 { file "tiles/skies/SKY01.png" }
texture 5120 { pal 0 { file "tiles/skies/SKY01.png" nocompress nodownsize } }

What I want is to replace it by something like this:

tilefromtexture 5120 { file "tiles/skies/SKY01.png" highres nocompress nodownsize }

Which would have essentially work exactly like the above.

And on top of that, I would also like to have sort of a command like "highrestilerange <tile1> <tile2>" so I could force the tiles in GRP to work like Highres tiles as above. Currently I am forced to have a copy of every single tile in the GRP as a picture and a def file with every single one listed...

This post has been edited by Fox: 21 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

• el fundador

I might be okay with altering the behavior of the general "texture" keyword to automatically do the tilefromtexture processing if the tile is missing from the .art, but that's it. As for your second request, it doesn't even make sense.

• Evil Overlord

Does he maybe mean he want some kind of self-referential system for when the art isn't external, but is already in the art file?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It it possible yet to have a map, some music, and a cfg file with the commands r_shadescale 1.0 & r_pr_lighting 0 load automatically from a zip file when chosen in the user maps section?

User is offline   fgsfds 

What about adding windowed borderless mode? If you know what that means.

• el fundador

I know what it means, but what's the point?

User is online   Mark 

Maybe he plays in a windowed mode and his surrounding desktop is bright and annoying ?

This post has been edited by Marked: 24 June 2012 - 06:52 AM

• el fundador

Er, no. The desktop would just be even more bright and annoying in that case, since "borderless" means no window borders obscuring it.

User is offline   fgsfds 

The benefits of this is that you can play \ making maps in fullscreen but with all the advantages of windowed mode. For example instant alt-tab, holding game window behind the other windows (useful in some cases) etc.

This post has been edited by empy: 24 June 2012 - 07:13 AM

• Evil Overlord

I don't get it. Borderless windowed mode isn't fullscreen... it's windowed but with no borders/window decorations. If you want to access multiple apps use Windowed mode and then press ~ to bring up the console (or whatever key you have it bound to) and it will uncapture the mouse.

• el fundador

I think he means he wants to run in a borderless window that's the same res as his desktop. It's still kind of an odd request though.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

It's also called windowed fullscreen mode in some games; it's a very Windows-specific thing, though. The point is to get a fullscreen-looking window, but no modeswitch or resource managemement on alt-tab, making it instant.

User is offline   Fox 

But it's understandable. I myself don't trust using fullscreen mode for games.

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options