Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Dynamicsoundremap, screentext, qstrdim, rotatespritea, orientation flag 2048, and other recent CON changes should be documented now.

View PostNightFright, on 01 June 2013 - 03:25 AM, said:

- Level stats not shown any more

Fixed.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

You wrote something about xdim-1 and ydim-1. But I am quite sure these values are already subtracted by one (i.e. at resolution 800x600 they will equal 799 and 599 respectively).

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostFox, on 03 June 2013 - 07:34 AM, said:

You wrote something about xdim-1 and ydim-1. But I am quite sure these values are already subtracted by one (i.e. at resolution 800x600 they will equal 799 and 599 respectively).

Nope, they are not. See setgamemode() in engine.c.

User is offline   Fox 

Well, that's something that changed recently.

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostHelixhorned, on 03 June 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

Nope, they are not. See setgamemode() in engine.c.

I should mention that this is orthogonal to the question of whether xdim or xdim-1 is the right value to provide to rotatesprite and friends to denote the right border (analogously, the lower border for ydim). The answer to this one is that it doesn't matter for the classic renderer. In dorotatesprite(), we have:
    // bound clipping rectangle to screen
    if (cx1 < 0) cx1 = 0;
    if (cy1 < 0) cy1 = 0;
    if (cx2 > xres-1) cx2 = xres-1;
    if (cy2 > yres-1) cy2 = yres-1;

(xres is the same as xdim as far as I can see). So even if the "correct" way is to pass xdim-1 (because the bounds denote a both-side inclusive range of pixel center coordinates), passing xdim does the same and saves a few keystrokes.

However, in the Polymodes' rotatesprite, polymost_rotatesprite(), it seems that we don't clamp the bounds to the screen size, producing slightly different results for xdim-1 and xdim. This is irritating and IMO we should take over the behavior from classic.

View PostFox, on 03 June 2013 - 08:23 AM, said:

Well, that's something that changed recently.

The way I see it is that nothing has changed on the implementation side, but that Hendricks merely edited the wiki to promote the most "proper" practice.

User is offline   Fox 

So from now on I shouldn't worry about crossing the four x-y limits?

User is offline   Mateos 

If you cross them they will be changed to the max (xres-1 or y-res-1) if you're above or at 0 if you're under 0 from what I read?

So you can but kindof useless as they will be autochanged.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMateos, on 04 June 2013 - 03:37 AM, said:

If you cross them they will be changed to the max (xres-1 or y-res-1) if you're above or at 0 if you're under 0 from what I read?

Currently only 8-bit classic fixes it but the OpenGL renderers should fix it too, so I guess as soon as that happens I'll revert the wiki and you can ignore it.

User is offline   Jblade 

I'd like to make a request about the projectile structure stuff; is there any way you guys can add a new projectile bitfield that doesn't do anything, but can be used by us to set our own stuff via CON code? Sorta like the workslike flag except it's more to set a bunch of flags for projectiles ourselves. I know this can be done in say event_game or egs but having a way to do it straight when defining the projectile would be pretty handy.

• Weaponized Autism

Any reason you can't do it yourself? A global gamevar would work like setprojectile and a per-actor gamevar would work like setthisprojectile.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostHendricks266, on 08 June 2013 - 01:02 PM, said:

Any reason you can't do it yourself? A global gamevar would work like setprojectile and a per-actor gamevar would work like setthisprojectile.

It would be convinient and would mean not having to add case-specific stuff to every projectile. Instead of having to detect for every projectile, I can just search for a set flag. I don't see it as anymore lazy than adding in support for tiles angled the wrong way (when mirroring the side angles in a paint program would achieve exactly the same result)

• Weaponized Autism

However, in this case, it would be adding an extra arbitrary amount of memory (why stop at one?) that does nothing unless used. Helix's recent addition of negative actions is simply defining purposes for values that were previously undefined without any overhead.

User is offline   Jblade 

It still would be handy to have rather than having to add lots of projectiles to event egs, but if you're worried about the memory problems than that's understandable.

• EDuke32 Developer

Actually, projectile_t has six bytes of "filler" at the end to pad it to 64 bytes. They are thankfully not exposed to CON, so we can definitely pack a user member into there. Any suggestions for a good name?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Well, my suggestion is something bluntly obvious like "userdata", but others may have different ideas. :lol:

User is offline   Jblade 

yeah my vote goes to userdata or userflags :lol:

User is offline   Fox 

Just call it filler.

• EDuke32 Developer

Alright, userdata it is then.

r3866 said:

CON: add projectile member .userdata and predefined label PROJ_USERDATA.

It is a 32-bit signed integer. No version bump necessary, although CON code
accessing this new member will not work with earlier revisions (obviously).

• Weaponized Autism

Duke4 needs a Dopefish smiley so I can use it right now. In the meantime,

Posted Image

User is offline   Fox 

Is it possible to add an option to create the alpha channel of a texture from a separate B&W image?

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

It doesn't make sense to add a feature for something that you can offline; it would just add bloat to the game code. There would be no runtime performance benefit either.

User is offline   Fox 

It has the advantage of working on the invisible parts of the texture.

I don't know what you mean by that. Can you clarify?

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I know this has been brought up a million times but I wanted to check on it's progress... will it ever be possible to make sloped floor and/or alligned sprites? :lol: (within mapster32 without con) I saw some post from Hendricks that shows sloped or diagonal letters, maybe it's something related?

User is offline   Gambini 

What Hendricks showed was on-screen rotation and zoom.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Ok my bad. So will it be available for mapster32? :lol:

User is offline   Fox 

Plagman, on 11 June 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

I don't know what you mean by that. Can you clarify?

Some parts of the texture are invisible, i.e. 0% opacity. And that part might be displayed if, for example, you are using the texture as a wall.

So what? What is the problem you're having exactly?

User is offline   Jblade 

Just wanted to say that the userdata thing works brilliantly; I've saved space and it's made things much simplier when it comes to adding new damage types. Before if I wanted to change what kind of attack a projectile does I would of had to of added tons of case specific code but now I can just change a flag and itll handle it from there (I should of done this from the start but of course I've been improving as I go along and coding systems rather than constantly making case specific stuff is one of those things I never really thought about doing until the last couple of years)

I'm using an xbox 360 controller on eduke I have every button set up like the xbox version the problem is the right stick I try to look left but it delays a little

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options