Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostDavoX, on 27 May 2013 - 09:53 PM, said:

This might sound really weird and probably a bit dumb but... is it possible to make a mapster32 for mobile platform like android? I know there are millions of shortcuts , keys, etc... but if someone were to do it, would it be possible?

If it were possible in the technical programming side, I could think a few ways to easily navigate and such... considering that smartphones are getting bigger and stronger everyday.

If you disagree I'd like to know why, yeah you ;)

It’s not practical nor would the touch screen be accurate enough to work with Mapster. It would be extremely frustrating on a portable device not to mention mapster uses all 104 keys on a keyboard. It would take you 100 years to make one map. It’s hard enough to use Mapster on a laptop with a track pad let alone a mobile touch screen a quarter of the size.

Some things just don’t work well on mobile devices and this would be one of these cases. Even if they did try to develop it for the mobile devices the frame rate would suck because the majority of these mobile devices use ARM based processors. I’m pretty sure the source code requires X86 architecture. They would have to rewrite the entire program just to make it work with ARM processors and they just don't measure up when it comes to performance for complex applications making it not worth the while. As for today's tablets which make use of Intel's X86 processors I still think there would be a huge agrevation factor of trying to map on a small minature device stylus pen or not.

It would be worse than running Eduke with an ATI video card & AMD processor if you can imagine that. I mean common who does that? LOL

This post has been edited by Paul B: 27 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Hmm I understand the technical difficulties, I don't know anything about that but if you say it doesn't work, it doesn't.

About the keys and such, I was thinking that some people use smartphones as pcs connecting keyboards and even mouses to them, I dunno.

Well, doesn't hurt to ask ;)

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Yeah the answer is probably "not anywhere near worth the effort".

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

The next version of EDuke32 Wii will include a Mapster32 build since I figured out the problems with it. It runs fine if you like 640x480 2D mode and if you have a USB keyboard and mouse. TX was working on an Android port of EDuke32. Once he overcomes the obstacles with that to get the game running, the editor is not too much more work. At the very least, you could search the code for GEKKO to see what needs to be done. On the other hand, you would still effectively need a keyboard. Touchscreen support could be interesting but it might only work best with a stylus.

User is offline   Diaz 

Shocking, to say the least ;)

User is offline   fgsfds 

TX was working on an Android port of EDuke32.

Seriously?

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostDiaz, on 28 May 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

Shocking, to say the least ;)

Yea very shocking. The developers must be doing it for the experience and the challenge of making it cross platform. I can't even see anyone even attempting to use it on a wii. That's just strange. I wonder if anyone other than the developers will use the wii version? I just can't see it catering to a very big audience on those platforms. I have a Wii i never use, now this might give me a reason to use my wii and see how well it works. lol

This post has been edited by Paul B: 28 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

• Weaponized Autism

Lol downvotes. Reddiquette, anyone?

My post was more to say that

View PostPaul B, on 27 May 2013 - 10:24 PM, said:

It’s not practical nor would the touch screen be accurate enough to work with Mapster. It would be extremely frustrating on a portable device not to mention mapster uses all 104 keys on a keyboard. It would take you 100 years to make one map. It’s hard enough to use Mapster on a laptop with a track pad let alone a mobile touch screen a quarter of the size.

isn't necessarily correct, and

View PostPaul B, on 27 May 2013 - 10:24 PM, said:

Some things just don’t work well on mobile devices and this would be one of these cases. Even if they did try to develop it for the mobile devices the frame rate would suck because the majority of these mobile devices use ARM based processors. I’m pretty sure the source code requires X86 architecture. They would have to rewrite the entire program just to make it work with ARM processors and they just don't measure up when it comes to performance for complex applications making it not worth the while.

is completely wrong.

Keep in mind that Android means large tablets in addition to smartphones, and smartphone screens are getting both bigger and denser. Combine that with a hardware keyboard as DavoX said and you're approaching mappability. Maybe add some multi-touch gestures to make up for the keyboard. ;)

Yes, the Mapster32 Wii build is essentially for novelty. I wasn't concerned with it myself, but to my surprise people requested it. Go figure.

User is offline   Och 

Just downloaded latest HRP 5.2 and latest eduke32 binaries, and it crashes immediately after level load. Everything works fine with early January 2013 binaries of eduke32, but once I try february or later, the game crashes.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Post your log.

User is offline   Och 

Here you go, logs for working version and log for broken version. Both are exactly the same, the only thing that is different - in the broken version eduke32.exe is 5.28.13 and in the working its 1.5.13

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Och 

If I disable polymer, it doesn't crash with the newest eduke32

• Weaponized Autism

Do you see a file named eduke32_or_mapster32.crashlog? If so, could you post it here? (You may need to rename it to crash.log.)

User is offline   Och 

Well, just updated my catalyst drivers from 13.1 to 13.4 and it now works, no more crashes!

Still surprised to see FPS dip into low 20ies at time, on a pretty high end PC. Are there any performance improvements planned to the polymer renderer?

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Yes, there are always performance improvements planned. But, in the mean time, you could try this fix.

Spoiler

User is offline   Paul B 

[quote name='Hendricks266' timestamp='1369772557' post='160049']

Sorry Hendricks266, I don’t agree with you. Of course the mobile computing has dramatically improved but I believe mobile computing serves a small and limited purpose. For instance, my smart phone I use to check my e-mail but you will never see me button mash to create an e-mail and send it from my phone its a waste of time. I do not believe desktop applications such as map editors should migrate to portable miniature devices just to keep up to a trend. I also believe this mobile trend is a fad and I’ll be glad when the focus comes back to PC. In my opinion it’s a waste of freakin’ resources and time to fulfill what purpose? So that 2 or 3 people who can't sit in front of their computer can lay on their bed and map edit with a stylus? I am not on board with this idea as this software will never be a good fit for mobile computing and it’s a waste of time pursuing. Unless you plan on turning Eduke into a flash player based game and redoing the entire mapster interface into a drag and drop system.

Just a thought, maybe you could incorporate Mapster to work with Siri voice recognition. Then we could pump out Duke Nukem maps with dictation on mobile devices. Now that would be kick ass!

"Siri build sector by X, Y & Z coordinates! use floor tile 773 and wall tile 878". That could actually make things faster instead of using touch, keyboard and mouse functions to some degree.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 28 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMr.Flibble, on 28 May 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:

there is a history of ATI cards not working well with the game.

Whenever this is explained, it should always be clarified that it's ATI/AMD's fault for making bad drivers, not ours for being deficient as a program. We already have workarounds in place for ATI's problems but we can't work around everything.

User is offline   Paul B 

Let me be the first to wish you a Happy upcoming Birthday Hendricks. =) Have a great day and don't work too hard!

This post has been edited by Paul B: 28 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

View PostHendricks266, on 28 May 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

Whenever this is explained, it should always be clarified that it's ATI/AMD's fault for making bad drivers, not ours for being deficient as a program. We already have workarounds in place for ATI's problems but we can't work around everything.

Yes. I should have mentioned that. You are correct. Although, I think my link to NVidia's web site was a kind of sarcastic way of saying that.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

View PostPaul B, on 28 May 2013 - 03:08 PM, said:

Sorry Hendricks266, I don’t agree with you. Of course the mobile computing has dramatically improved but I believe mobile computing serves a small and limited purpose. For instance, my smart phone I use to check my e-mail but you will never see me button mash to create an e-mail and send it from my phone its a waste of time. I do not believe desktop applications such as map editors should migrate to portable miniature devices just to keep up to a trend. I also believe this mobile trend is a fad and I’ll be glad when the focus comes back to PC. In my opinion it’s a waste of freakin’ resources and time to fulfill what purpose? So that 2 or 3 people who can't sit in front of their computer can lay on their bed and map edit with a stylus? I am not on board with this idea as this software will never be a good fit for mobile computing and it’s a waste of time pursuing. Unless you plan on turning Eduke into a flash player based game and redoing the entire mapster interface into a drag and drop system.

Just a thought, maybe you could incorporate Mapster to work with Siri voice recognition. Then we could pump out Duke Nukem maps with dictation on mobile devices. Now that would be kick ass!

"Siri build sector by X, Y & Z coordinates! use floor tile 773 and wall tile 878". That could actually make things faster instead of using touch, keyboard and mouse functions to some degree.

Paul he's obviously making fun of my post. I guess you didn't turn on your sarcasm detector ;)

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDavoX, on 28 May 2013 - 05:54 PM, said:

Paul he's obviously making fun of my post. I guess you didn't turn on your sarcasm detector ;)

Me? I'm completely serious about Mapster32 Wii.

http://svn.eduke32.c...er32_meta_1.xml
http://svn.eduke32.c...er32_meta_2.xml

Posted Image

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Oh the wii... what a pain the ass it was developing for that console. I hope I never see one again in my life ;)

(was using the torque 3d engine, which might've had a part in it being bad)

This post has been edited by DavoX: 28 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostDavoX, on 28 May 2013 - 06:29 PM, said:

Oh the wii... what a pain the ass it was developing for that console. I hope I never see one again in my life ;)

(was using the torque 3d engine, which might've had a part in it being bad)

Even playing games on the Wii can be a painful process lol Watch out for my flying remote the wrist strap is for noobs.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 28 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostHendricks266, on 28 May 2013 - 06:11 PM, said:

Me? I'm completely serious about Mapster32 Wii.

http://svn.eduke32.c...er32_meta_1.xml
http://svn.eduke32.c...er32_meta_2.xml

Posted Image

So eDuke DOS was an April Fool's joke but Mapster32 Wii isn't? ;)

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Mapster32 for Wii was just a matter of fixing a couple of things that caused it to crash at startup (we've had EDuke32 on the Wii for several months). Porting EDuke32 to DOS would take significant effort.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Issues with r3839:
- "Version Mismatch" for savegames saved with r3831 (that's the last version I tried before this one)
- Level stats not shown any more

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostNightFright, on 01 June 2013 - 03:25 AM, said:

- "Version Mismatch" for savegames saved with r3831 (that's the last version I tried before this one)

Isn't it expected that savegames don't necessarily stay intact when playing them with different versions of eduke32?

User is offline   Mateos 

Well, I believe the save system isn't altered each 3 versions? So there shouldn't be any version mismatch issue that often :/

• Weaponized Autism

That's generally not an issue that needs reporting. In this case, BYTEVERSION had to be bumped because the DynamicSoundMap array had to be added to savegames.

- Level stats not shown any more

My bad.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Level stats or alternate HUD are the kinda of thing that I believe should be used as a CON mutator included by default instead of being hard-coded.

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options