Duke4.net Forums: Which version of Duke3D is preferred amongst fans? - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which version of Duke3D is preferred amongst fans?

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostRomulus, on 12 October 2014 - 09:48 AM, said:

Megatron

Posted Image

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Posted Image

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostFox, on 11 October 2014 - 11:32 PM, said:

That bug seems to occur because sound DUKE_JETPACK_IDLE as defined in user.con is set with repeat flag. You can pause the game to get rid of it.

It never went away! Pausing the game, quitting to main menu and starting a new singleplayer game, nothing worked besides restarting the whole thing. I think what happened was someone was using it and got fragged so it stayed on forever, even if they used a jetpack and turned it off again.
Even still, it was the N64 version on an actual N64, it was not the ideal way to play it today.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMetHy, on 11 October 2014 - 11:00 PM, said:

Honestly, if you choose a sourceport you'll have tons of people disagreeing with your choice no matter which you choose.

People can disagree all they want, but facts remain true and they will need to accept them.

View PostLeoD, on 11 October 2014 - 06:34 PM, said:

Never seen that happening. Just wastes time during startup -> disabled.

We've just never updated http://eduke32.com/VERSION because there are always WIP features.

View PostLeoD, on 11 October 2014 - 06:34 PM, said:

Btw., EDuke32 might be way more popular if it was less user-unfriendly. Besides the licenses, not a single line of documentation for players is included in the download. No "Quickstart Guide", no user manual, no explanation or at least a list of all those startup parameters, configuration file options, etc. No hint to the Wiki (which lists a lot of stuff but often doesn't actually explain it). The gifted noobs may find the link to eduke32.com at the end of the credits screen at least.

Point taken. We are redesigning the menus, but I don't think walls of text are the best way to help noobs.

View PostStabs, on 11 October 2014 - 07:24 PM, said:

DukeVR if you wanted this to not be a huge waste of time getting a source port that really makes use of VR and multiplayer is your best bet at making something people will give 2 shits about. 2015 is the VR year so get your shit ready

DukeVR is Rift- and Windows-specific, so no.

View Postgerolf, on 11 October 2014 - 04:41 PM, said:

I think the Megaton edition is the best to promote, because it comes with the DOS version of Duke 3d, the Megaton Edition itself, all the expansion packs, and all of this (excluding the megaton edition port) can be used with DOSBOX,

Nothing says EDuke32 can't come with all the expansions... and Duke 64... and Total Meltdown, like the Android release will.

View PostTea Monster, on 12 October 2014 - 03:07 AM, said:

The whole Polymer thing

TX has been working on optimizing Polymer. It's not a priority right now because Android phones aren't strong enough for it, but expect more progress after we ship.

Megaton works, has multiplayer and steam integration.

Vert-minus widescreen is game over, for me. Steam achievements are insigificant.

View PostDuke64Nukem, on 12 October 2014 - 08:55 AM, said:

Eduke32/Megaton :) Cant go wrong with these two if only they could learn from each other or just kiss and make up, maybe then we would have the child of Eduke and Megaton heheh.

View PostRomulus, on 12 October 2014 - 09:48 AM, said:

A hybrid between Megatron and EDuke32 would be nice

That's not how software development works. We have nothing to "learn" from Megaton. Centrism as appeasement is never a good idea.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I'd have to say Megaton, much as it pains me as eDuke32 is brilliant, but there are too many incomplete features to issue it as any kind of 'official' solution. The whole Polymer thing, no multiplayer, etc, etc.

You do realize your entire list is two features known to be under development, which we disable at compile time for Android, right?

Were you actually aware that EDuke32 is already being turned into a commercial version of Duke3D for Android? It's going really well and everyone who plays on the PC benefits as well since we are not forking/branching the code. There have been a remarkably low number of deficiencies to deal with due to EDuke32's nearly 10 year development history, so things are going very smoothly.

Our version of Polymost is much more complete (and now something like twice as fast...) compared to any other version of the game and we're making improvement after improvement in area after area in preparation for the release. I've even optimized the C version of the classic renderer, even though it's only used for security cameras on Android. To me, the most important thing about this release is that it completely kicks ass and does the game the justice it deserves. There's no reason an equally awesome, definitive version for the PC can't be created as well!

That Android port is sounding mighty fine, hopefully I will be able to enjoy it.

User is offline   Kyanos 

If 3DR makes EDuke32 "The official port" I'd call that a step in the right direction towards proper servers and a good future for the Duke3D MP community. No other port is close to real online Duking, just sync based modem games. Which EDuke32 had in 2009 by the way, still available for those who want it, and recently updated by H266.

• el fundador

Another way PC players will directly benefit from the Android version is in content load times. Since the Android version will contain a redone menu and a lot of the content we're shipping utilizes high-res assets (or low-res assets that use the same loading methods, as the case may be), it was important to make sure said assets loaded as fast as possible to keep game startup times low. The result? Now the full HRP on PC loads duke3d.def in less than 4 seconds here, and less than 2 if Polymer is disabled. Another update I have pending in my tree will improve performance a lot for people with older processors--the ARM processors that Android tends to run on don't support integer division in hardware, so I implemented a stripped down version of libdivide and optimized the divisions out altogether. The gains associated with that also apply to PCs, as division on most processors is still a really slow operation. This thing is gonna be awesome.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm really looking forward to the Android port. It sounds like it's shaping up to be quite definitive. I'd totally love to see a PC equivalent.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 12 October 2014 - 04:43 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

If there is an official 20th anniversary edition with eduke32 I'd totally buy it, especially if it had finished multiplayer and a (faster) polymer renderer which is feature complete in terms of polymost's features.

View PostDustFalcon85, on 12 October 2014 - 05:39 AM, said:

I usually use SkullDog's Duke 3D Launcher. It's got the ability to play not only the 3 addons but 3rd party addons like Duke! Zone I & II, Duke Extreme, NAM, and WWII GI in a DOSBox environment.

One thing I forgot. SkullDog's launchers has options like Graphic Mode, CPU Core, CPU cycles, Scaling engine, 2 types of resolutions, fullscreen, and more.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Yeah hendricks maybe i worded wrong about learning from, but Megaton could surely benefit from learning from eduke imo I got to agree here and i'm not the bias type either, eduke32 is the way to go ! Just really wish it had the popularity for online support. You see what i mean is eduke32 is nearly perfected in game play i mean its running maps that megaton is lagging that i am currently making! But megaton has mp and its quite official to by being on steam. Not many ppl trust these external links for meltdown yang and stuff I have tried to get alot to join there and either there lazy or just dont trust it these days . You see there you just find the die hards there which is only a few! i just wish there was one place that had it all, In my opinion there is megaton and eduke32 combined would kick ass

• Honored Donor

Megaton has learned from eduke32. There are definitely bits of eduke32 code that people have gone through the effort of adding into Megaton.

Don't forget that Megaton and eduke32 are both based off of JFDuke3D, so technically speaking, Megaton is an extremely old version of "eduke32". Therefore combining them makes so sense. eduke32 is pretty much the definitive port, and once all the features that have been mentioned in this thread are added (including mouse-support for menus which is one of the more noticeable differences to the end-user between the two).

What you probably mean is eduke32 combined with steam features, and IMO the only one that really matters is the steam workshop. Achievements, cards or whatever are pretty meaningless. Eduke's multiplayer will be much, much better. And even without the workshop, there are several map review sites to choose from that make it very easy to browse the database, look at pictures, and read reviews from the closest thing to professional (or at least consistent) reviewers that we're ever going to get.

• Turok Nukem

What i'm really saying is there isn't a port that has it all, therefore one can't reign superior over another because people like different things. I don't doubt if eduke had an all new multiplayer feature it would kick ass.

User is offline   MetHy 

EDuke =/= EDuke32

This post has been edited by MetHy: 13 October 2014 - 10:58 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

In 2014, it's generally accepted that "EDuke" is shorthand for "EDuke32" outside of specific historical contexts.

• el fundador

View PostDuke64Nukem, on 13 October 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

What i'm really saying is there isn't a port that has it all, therefore one can't reign superior over another because people like different things. I don't doubt if eduke had an all new multiplayer feature it would kick ass.

Man, I had client-server multiplayer prototypes working in 2009, before I got married. You could even join games running maps you didn't have. There's an alternate universe somewhere where instead of me having an awesome kid (who just turned 4!), you guys all have Duke3D multiplayer that works as well as Unreal Tournament did.

Anyway, I pledge to use a portion of the proceeds from the Android version to pay developers to work on networking.

User is offline   JoJo the Idiot Circus Boy 

• Steven Shitlord

everyone can wait intil your ready TerminX child comes first

• Turok Nukem

My son is 4 also can be pretty tough but also really fun :)

View PostTerminX, on 13 October 2014 - 01:56 PM, said:

Man, I had client-server multiplayer prototypes working in 2009, before I got married. You could even join games running maps you didn't have. There's an alternate universe somewhere where instead of me having an awesome kid (who just turned 4!), you guys all have Duke3D multiplayer that works as well as Unreal Tournament did.

Anyway, I pledge to use a portion of the proceeds from the Android version to pay developers to work on networking.

You seriously got a kid before working on something for free? So selfish...

Anyway as long as it is good I can wait. Used to waiting as a Duke fan. Still waiting I guess?
I think the people who has been here the longest should join in a team with Fred and Interceptor (Hendricks and Termin among others) and decide what would be the most interesting to play, directly from the website.

View PostTerminX, on 13 October 2014 - 01:56 PM, said:

There's an alternate universe somewhere where instead of me having an awesome kid (who just turned 4!), you guys all have Duke3D multiplayer that works as well as Unreal Tournament did.

Sex ruins everything.

Except that whole life thing.

/salute :)

This post has been edited by Wieder: 13 October 2014 - 06:24 PM

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

You should offer DOS Duke3D v1.5 and let others decided which port they want to use. Or even DOS EDuke 2.0. Or finish DOS EDuke 2.1.1

If going with DOS EDuke v2.0 then v2.0a con fixes and DOS installer should be used, since it works with the Kill-a-ton version and has many con fixes.

Nothing against EDuke32 or other ports, I just think 3DR needs to stay away from ports other than linking to them.

Besides that update the shareware version to v1.5 :) Actually strike that and make the shareware v2.0!

This post has been edited by Corvin: 14 October 2014 - 12:02 AM

• el fundador

DOS EDuke was broken in a lot of ways and doesn't actually run Duke3D properly...

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

Your talking about v2.1.1 then.

v2.00.21a runs fine, I use it everyday, PhotonMan did a good job correcting some problems.

Anyhow any problems in v2.00.21a can be quickly fixed with the right programmer to do it.

I personally am not seeing the problems you didn't mention here tho *baffled*

This post has been edited by Corvin: 14 October 2014 - 01:20 AM

• el fundador

Nah, I was talking about 2.0. I would know, I based EDuke32 on it and spent a great deal of time correcting the issues. It's good for running old DOS EDuke mods, but not the original game in any capacity. Weapon timings and animations are off in many places, there are cases where more or less unlabeled internal variables were accidentally used for multiple functions that weren't mutually exclusive, it has a lot of additional overhead over the original game due to none of the added gamevar and event stuff actually ever being optimized, etc. It was about a decade ago when I fixed that mess but it was bad. Understandably bad, given the time period in which it was written and the fact that it was written for free in Matt Saettler's spare time, but bad nonetheless!

I have no idea why I just spent my time writing a reply to a suggestion that a company go and waste time and resources on bug fixes to software they didn't write that only runs on emulators and operating systems that have been discontinued for around 15 years. Now THAT is baffling. :)

You are very silly. I need to go to sleep.

• Honored Donor

Well at least the rest of us are learning history tidbits.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

I understand you would want EDuke32 to be used but there is DOSBox now. I enjoy v2.0.

I'm impressed you remembered all that however. :)

EDIT: Crap I'm using v2.1.1 for the original game. Haven't touch v2.0a in awhile I guess.

I'd say get Matt S. , Wieder , Malone3D and Renegado to fix it up snuff for v2.00.25 build 20 :)

This post has been edited by Corvin: 14 October 2014 - 02:30 AM

• el fundador

I remember lots of things!

Remember that time you tried to claim you had some inherent right to control everything called "EDuke" just because you created a section on RTCM and posted some builds somebody gave you there? It sorta sounds like you're still using those same builds 10 years later... I hope you're not still holding a grudge. :)

It's OK to move on! Just because the game is old doesn't mean it has to stagnate like that. You don't have to cheat yourself out of all the features, fixes and content developed in the past decade. Don't be the guy sporting a mullet and still writing Chevy to complain about the IROC-Z being discontinued 20 years after the fact--the present welcomes you!

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

First off I don't know anything about "inherent right to control" anything....your completely wrong.

2nd Its okay to hate, but don't direct your self towards me just cause I think EDuke 2.0 is a fine product to have 3DR use.

You want EDuke32 so bad that you have to attack me with false accusations, go right ahead, whatever makes you hard TerminX.

Anyhow let me push the shit out of my way and say let the old timers tweak EDuke2.0 out. Nothing wrong with a few fixes.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I remember the gameplay in Eduke20 was somewhat different. Particularly the Devistator projectiles being identical to the RPG weapon. Or am I dreaming?

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options