Duke4.net Forums: Which version of Duke3D is preferred amongst fans? - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which version of Duke3D is preferred amongst fans?

User is offline   JoJo the Idiot Circus Boy 

• Steven Shitlord

View PostBesli, on 11 October 2014 - 03:27 PM, said:

I only played the PC versions of Duke Nukem 3D and Duke Nukem 3D Plutonium/Atomic Edition.

But I would be very interested in:
Duke Nukem Total Meltdown - because of the cinematic movies
Duke Nukem 64 - because of the different weapons and levels

My personal port is EDuke.

Duke Nukem XBLA had some hires graphic, but was also very different to the PC version. (Not in a bad way.)
Duke Nukem Megaton, has some hires stuff. But I think it's the badest version. (And it's on Steam :) )

yeah plus when steam goes down you can't play online which sucks I like playing online more instead of playing it single

This post has been edited by The Elite Duke Force: 11 October 2014 - 03:41 PM

with Megaton. it was made in such a rush that it had so many bugs and glitches. EDuke is slowly getting good. just needs things like online multiplayer without needing to port forward, better improvements in the modes, especially Co-Op. playing mods and such that are customized to like say, have 1 long episode running like how it's known to be in Duke Nukem 64. and make some other improvments here and there and you got yourself 1 awesome way to play Duke Nukem 3D

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

Unless the expansion packs are included, I don't see many people buying the game from the 3DR site when they can just get Megaton and download whatever source port they want to use if they choose to. I say include the game and all of the expansions in a bundle. Even the ones Megaton didn't add. And/or have them all available separately.

• Steven Shitlord

Don't forget dave some of those expansions, Would need editing before being put in there if they want to do some coop/dm remember what happen in testing, Rose show the video.

This post has been edited by The Elite Duke Force: 11 October 2014 - 04:23 PM

View PostThe Elite Duke Force, on 11 October 2014 - 03:57 PM, said:

Don't forget dave some of those expansions, Would need editing before being put in there if they want to do some coop/dm remember what happen in testing Rose show the video

i agree. they would need to somehow make a new GRP with fixed version of some of the expansions

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Most of the multiplayer gameplay issues you fixed could just as well be fixed by competent programmers in the code, for every map ever. Granted, some problems such as progression issues in Voodoo Caves aren't fixable in the same way--at least with only 60 seconds of brainstorming.

However, it's not right that you tidied and touched up the maps for cosmetic reasons. By extension, why limit yourself to the addons? Let's put our hands all over every map in Duke and SW.

(In fact, I no longer feel that my Vaca+ and NW+ map patches are legitimate, and any further development I do will be from scratch, after I develop my BUILD game/beta asset comparison tool, Delta, to reverse engineer your changes and my changes alike.)

Ultimately, since EDuke32's multiplayer is incomplete, the maps could be left as-is without issue, and fixing issues would be part of the MP development.

User is offline   Lunick 

Oh boy, this thread certainly took lots of turns and dips and dives...

I like the 1.3D version Duke's font more than the other versions but any version should include the 1.5 data files in the end.

Megaton finally got the addons rereleased and distributed them for a respectable price as well as getting better controller support and multiplayer eventually. There is also Jimmy's cool widescreen sprites although I think they were for a "secret" mod or something like that first :)

EDuke32 honestly has too much stuff to list. I think TX and co should show off some of the UI and stuff for the Android version because I think that port is just as much a labor of love to them as the PC version and is putting so much effort into it to get it right and I hope that you all buy the port regardless of owning an Android device or not.

If "3D Realms" was going to make a port for their site, I would have to say something like basing it off a stable version of EDuke32 or include EDuke32 in the package.

• Steven Shitlord

well if you need help at testing on it I'm all in :)

This post has been edited by The Elite Duke Force: 11 October 2014 - 04:33 PM

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I think the Megaton edition is the best to promote, because it comes with the DOS version of Duke 3d, the Megaton Edition itself, all the expansion packs, and all of this (excluding the megaton edition port) can be used with DOSBOX, EDuke32 or any other source port. So it's the best of everything I guess. Personally, I use EDuke32 over any of these, and play multiplayer on the XBLA version.

This post has been edited by gerolf: 11 October 2014 - 04:45 PM

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostHendricks266, on 11 October 2014 - 04:23 PM, said:

However, it's not right that you tidied and touched up the maps for cosmetic reasons. By extension, why limit yourself to the addons? Let's put our hands all over every map in Duke and SW.

If I was told not to, I wouldn't have. I didn't bother anything in the Shark's Cove maps that I uploaded recently to Workshop, other than adding co-op spawn points and co-op switches. There was one texture in one of the maps that was stretched, so I fixed that. It wasn't visible to a player playing in single player, but would have been in co-op. The only reason I touched-up the expansion packs' maps is because it didn't look like anyone else ever did. They looked kind of rushed to me. Messy in some places. I didn't see any reason to touch-up anything in the Shark's Cove maps because they were fine. Yes, I didn't do as good of a job as I could have in the Lost Lagoon map, but that was the first map I started out with and the most complicated one to deal with.

User is offline   Kyanos 

I googled best Duke3D source port.

Posted Image

I think proper mouse support makes EDuke32 vastly superior to other versions of the game. The native mouse support in Build games is bad, period. bMouse sorta fixes it but also makes everything too sensitive, which I don't like. Blood and Shadow Warrior had mouse-friendly weapons, but mouse aiming is so bad that I don't enjoy playing with the mouse very much.

I suggest just packaging it wrapped in DOSBox and linking to the source ports. You guys have access to the original content from the CD, maybe include that in your package since GOG butchered the content and only includes build.exe and some other stuff. Most of those files are no longer relevant in modern systems, but I'd rather have something as it came on the box instead of a simplified version. If you could do that for Shadow Warrior as well I'd be a very happy man.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMark., on 11 October 2014 - 09:59 AM, said:

I'm probably in the minority because most of my Duke-ing time is spent with Eduke32, HRP and custom hi-rez content. Its been so long since I played online that I don't really miss it.
Ditto. Our minority is still a four-digit one I suppose. :)

View PostHendricks266, on 11 October 2014 - 11:16 AM, said:

EDuke32 can keep track of its own updates,
Never seen that happening. Just wastes time during startup -> disabled.

View PostMicky C, on 11 October 2014 - 03:16 PM, said:

When eduke32 gets full, polished multiplayer support
Muhaha. When it's done.

View Postgerolf, on 11 October 2014 - 04:41 PM, said:

I think the Megaton edition is the best to promote, because it comes with the DOS version of Duke 3d, the Megaton Edition itself, all the expansion packs, and all of this (excluding the megaton edition port) can be used with DOSBOX, EDuke32 or any other source port. So it's the best of everything I guess.
I think so, too.

Btw., EDuke32 might be way more popular if it was less user-unfriendly. Besides the licenses, not a single line of documentation for players is included in the download. No "Quickstart Guide", no user manual, no explanation or at least a list of all those startup parameters, configuration file options, etc. No hint to the Wiki (which lists a lot of stuff but often doesn't actually explain it). The gifted noobs may find the link to eduke32.com at the end of the credits screen at least.

User is offline   Stabs 

DukeVR if you wanted this to not be a huge waste of time getting a source port that really makes use of VR and multiplayer is your best bet at making something people will give 2 shits about. 2015 is the VR year so get your shit ready

Much like the whole 3D fad that came and went, I can't help but feel I've heard this VR crap before...

Oh, wait;
Posted Image
Well, that sure ended great. Augmented reality has some potential as a novelty however, but it'll be a one-trick-pony as far as entertainment goes.

-----

I like all versions of Duke 3D for different reasons... So I cannot pick just one.

User is offline   Stabs 

comparing 90's VR tech to 2014's i am not sure where to begin... eh you clearly havnt tried a rift or played isolation with one to know how good they are and what they add to gameplay

User is offline   ReaperMan 

You'll see stabs... it will just be a passing fad.

User is offline   Stabs 

he said/she said we'll see, but the rift is getting alot of support for something thats not even on the market at the moment

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Just played Duke 64 4-player split screen. It was not a good time.
It was a combination of not being used to the controller, the framerate being dogshit, the screens themselves being extra tiny with low resolution, and a bug where the sound of a jetpack never went away. Even after playing a singleplayer game the sound of a jetpack constantly in use was playing.

I'm really glad there's a port/mod of Duke64 for PC, because I enjoy the changes, but I can't go back to playing it on a 64

• Steven Shitlord

View PostHulkNukem, on 11 October 2014 - 10:11 PM, said:

It was a combination of not being used to the controller, the framerate being dogshit, the screens themselves being extra tiny with low resolution, and a bug where the sound of a jetpack never went away. Even after playing a singleplayer game the sound of a jetpack constantly in use was playing.

I'm really glad there's a port/mod of Duke64 for PC, because I enjoy the changes, but I can't go back to playing it on a 64

it like the playstation Meltdown when turning jetpack off you can still hear it even if it is off

This post has been edited by The Elite Duke Force: 11 October 2014 - 10:43 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

Honestly, if you choose a sourceport you'll have tons of people disagreeing with your choice no matter which you choose. On the other hand if you choose a DOSBox version, you just can't go wrong. Nobody who likes DN3D could say the original version is wrong, and the only people who would be unhappy with that decision would be sourceports makers; but since you could also give links to sourceports near your download that should content them and it's already giving them more exposure than they have at the moment.

Like other people said I hope that DOS version comes with all 3 addons. Well, at least Caribbean Life and Duke It Out In DC, as far as I'm concerned you can discard Nulcear Winter altogether :)

I'm guessing the people who are saying EDuke don't actually mean EDuke and are thinking EDuke32?

View PostLunick, on 11 October 2014 - 04:27 PM, said:

Megaton finally got the addons rereleased and distributed them for a respectable price as well as getting better controller support and multiplayer eventually. There is also Jimmy's cool widescreen sprites although I think they were for a "secret" mod or something like that first :)

What do you mean rereleased? When?

View PostMarphy Black, on 11 October 2014 - 01:17 PM, said:

If I had to fault EDuke32 for one thing, it's that it doesn't clearly convey the purpose and difference between the Polymost and Polymer 32-bit renderers. Personally, I think it would be best to make the classic 8-bit renderer be the default choice, but that may be controversial. As it is, a first time user will likely end up running the source port in the Polymost renderer.

I've seen people run EDuke32 in Polymer with Polymer lights on and having no idea what those were, thinking how the game looked with that was how the game had always been.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 11 October 2014 - 11:05 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMetHy, on 11 October 2014 - 11:00 PM, said:

What do you mean rereleased? When?

You couldn't buy the addons digitally before Megaton.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostHulkNukem, on 11 October 2014 - 10:11 PM, said:

That bug seems to occur because sound DUKE_JETPACK_IDLE as defined in user.con is set with repeat flag. You can pause the game to get rid of it.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Why not have something what SW did with redux and classic?

It's not a lot of extra space to drop in eduke stuff alongside a DOS release :)
If someone wants to switch between "1996" and "2014" modes then they can always do it.
Playing the game with 1996 intro demo files / multi player and old bugs like they remembered it.

If they want cool stuff that people have been cooking up for many years then they can kick eduke open.
I would go for eduke myself as there are so many cool mods out there that people should be able to play with little to no effort.
Considering the crazy amount of improvements done to Duke over the years, I'd say that eduke is still very faithful and doesn't add silly things like a sound when finding a secret in doom ports.

Not to mention that if they want to do their own maps, Mapster32 really kicks stock build's ass.
I consider content creation a really major aspect as well, no other port really enhances that side.
eduke also allows much less obscure formats to be used with a mod.

As much as I love megaton's multiplayer support and it feels like a nice compromise, it's seems a dead end when it comes to modding/support and from what I have gathered the content seems to be done with mapster32 anyway.
Also eduke has linux / osx support to some degree from what I remember.

Anyway, that is my angle on things, from a bit of a modding perspective.

This post has been edited by oasiz: 11 October 2014 - 11:35 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I'd have to say Megaton, much as it pains me as eDuke32 is brilliant, but there are too many incomplete features to issue it as any kind of 'official' solution. The whole Polymer thing, no multiplayer, etc, etc.

Megaton works, has multiplayer and steam integration.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 12 October 2014 - 03:08 AM

User is offline   K100 

Or you could just put a link to the Megaton Edition, a link to GOG and a link to EDuke in the 3D Realms website.
Maybe write a guide to use Eduke with them.

I think it's not good to have 3 different versions of the game on 3 different stores.

Oh and maybe update the GOG version to have all the addons included in it.

For me, it's the best thing to do. (just my opinion :) )

Edit:

You could do that for Shadow Warrior too.

This post has been edited by K100: 12 October 2014 - 03:17 AM

I usually use SkullDog's Duke 3D Launcher. It's got the ability to play not only the 3 addons but 3rd party addons like Duke! Zone I & II, Duke Extreme, NAM, and WWII GI in a DOSBox environment.

User is offline   Stabs 

a source port that replaces the whole second episode with levels that are fun?

This post has been edited by Stabs: 12 October 2014 - 06:00 AM

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Eduke32/Megaton :) Cant go wrong with these two if only they could learn from each other or just kiss and make up, maybe then we would have the child of Eduke and Megaton heheh. Best option in my opinion is to include multiple versions while making them all official instead of one higher why should any of the successors be shadowed. Although Eduke has been around longer and can be trusted to run high quality user maps and I love it I like both and get pretty upset when people trash Megaton I understand why but there is a limit to it, at least with me before you get removed/ignored. This is a tough question and of course disagreement is to happen here.

User is offline   Romulus 

A hybrid between Megatron and EDuke32 would be nice, and a choice to run it using DOSBox (including the add ons) would probably what everyone would want.

I will slightly favor EDuke32, because of it's abilities to properly display in widescreen, and native mouse support. If EDuke32's multiplayer gets sorted, Megatron will become irrelevent.

This post has been edited by Romulus: 12 October 2014 - 09:54 AM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options