Duke4.net Forums: Which version of Duke3D is preferred amongst fans? - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which version of Duke3D is preferred amongst fans?

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

I'd like to know which version you prefer.
Eveything from sourceport, release (megaton), etc.

We're trying to put together the absolute best version out there, without changing core elements such as the art, gameplay etc. (no HRP pack etc.)

This post has been edited by Frederik Schreiber: 11 October 2014 - 07:43 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

I honestly think you won't get a decent answer since nobody will be happy with any single port - I've been playing Duke since before the new millenium and I'd be happy with an Eduke port but there are players who won't want a sourceport and consider Duke through DOS as the most authentic way to play...then you have players who aren't fussed and are happy with Megaton or ones that play exclusively with the HRP.

The best course of action I think, if possible, is to include both a source port but also a DOSbox setup so people can make the choice themselves.

User is offline   K100 

Personally, I'm happy with the Megaton Edition. It's all I need as I don't play mods or user made levels.
And anyway, EDuke is free so anyone can play with it if they have Duke 3D... Same for Dosbox.

I think we have enough choices for Duke 3D already.

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

View PostK100, on 11 October 2014 - 08:46 AM, said:

Personally, I'm happy with the Megaton Edition. It's all I need as I don't play mods or user made levels.
And anyway, EDuke is free so anyone can play with it if they have Duke 3D... Same for Dosbox.

I think we have enough choices for Duke 3D already.

We're mostly considering which default sourceport to use on the version of Duke 3D which is going to be available directly from the new 3DR site.
I like the idea of having both vanilla and sourceport available in the same product :)

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

The XBLA version was the most popular when it came to multiplayer, and the menu layout was nicely done. I was hoping Megaton Edition's menu layout was the same or similar, but it wasn't.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 11 October 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

We're mostly considering which default sourceport to use on the version of Duke 3D which is going to be available directly from the new 3DR site.

Clearly you choose the options of the source port that is constantly updated and that you are posting on the forums of its home...

User is offline   MetHy 

Prefered version is DOS.

Sourceports (either EDuke32 or Megaton) have differences compared to the original game, not all of which can always be considered improvements and not all of which are intentional. Most people in here will probably tell you to use EDuke32 but that's because this is an EDuke32 forum before being a DN3D forum. Both EDuke32 and Megaton have their pros and cons, and would you ask on the Megaton forums you'd find more people telling you to use Megaton.

If by 'default' sourceport, you mean the most used, then if you have a look at how many times the top maps on Megaton's workshop have been downloaded, I think it's clearly Megaton, but you don't want to use Megaton and its forced true-3D 32bit visuals if like you said you want something that doesn't change the visuals, and it's hosnetly VERY hard to say which between EDuke32 and Megaton is the most used and to be 100% sure of that.

Also why stopping at EDuke32 and Megaton? xDuke is probably the most faithful to the original, it has multiplayer support, and it's free. xDuke is just as good of a choice as EDuke32 and Megaton. and would you ask the most pro DN3D deathmatch players they'd tell you to use xDuke. Really you don't want to have to ask every bit of DN3D community and sit around a table during x hours to do comparison points and regroup every feedback from every side of the DN3D community...

IMO it wouldn't make sense to directly include a sourceport with the download, especially considering how both mains ones will get updates and you don't want to have to keep track of that. Using a DOSbox install like the GOG release is best; and you can mention sourceports near the download link.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 11 October 2014 - 09:51 AM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostThe Angry Kiwi, on 11 October 2014 - 09:30 AM, said:

Clearly you choose the options of the source port that is constantly updated and that you are posting on the forums of its home...

^This

However, the dos version should still be available.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostMetHy, on 11 October 2014 - 09:35 AM, said:

Wall of text

TL;DR = MetHy wants his double kick.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostThe Angry Kiwi, on 11 October 2014 - 09:41 AM, said:

TL;DR = MetHy wants his double kick.

If it is v1.3 they are selling, then it should have the double kick.

But it shouldn't be v1.3.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 11 October 2014 - 09:50 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I'm probably in the minority because most of my Duke-ing time is spent with Eduke32, HRP and custom hi-rez content. Its been so long since I played online that I don't really miss it. I couldn't tell you what the differences are between one port or another so I'm happy to stick with Eduke32.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

EDuke32 is objectively the best way to play Duke. Voidpoint, LLC is interested in a business agreement to sell it on the 3DR site, as we are already preparing a professional release on Android.

View PostMetHy, on 11 October 2014 - 09:35 AM, said:

xDuke is probably the most faithful to the original, it has multiplayer support, and it's free. xDuke is just as good of a choice as EDuke32 and Megaton. and would you ask the most pro DN3D deathmatch players they'd tell you to use xDuke.

xDuke is outdated. It doesn't support widescreen, it's unstable on modern OSs, and the author has the absurd policy that "I’ll be happy to give you the link to the source code of the current version upon explicit request by email to avoid misuse and abuse of coders that could mess up the existing network of the online community. Please indicate your real name in the email if I don’t already know you or if it is not already attached to your Email address."

Don't get me started on Chocolate Duke, which somehow made xDuke even more unstable.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

EDuke32 or bust.

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 09 December 2016 - 10:02 AM

User is offline   Hank 

talking from a business point of view and not a fan,

There is a GoG version, there is the Steam version and EDuke32. To avoid that any of those feel left out, just place a link to each of those and omit an official version all together. Why compete or take the profits away from either GoG or Steam? As JBlade wrote, you can't win anyway.

This post has been edited by Hank: 11 October 2014 - 10:33 AM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFistMarine, on 11 October 2014 - 10:32 AM, said:

I'd also like DUKE3D.EXE to be modified slightly to display at startup "Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition V2.0" or something like that to reflect the changes. I was disappointed that the digital releases of Atomic Edition on GOG and as part of Steam's Megaton Edition are just plain unmodified Atomic Edition. They should had at least modified the startup screen. Here is what I am talking about (I did these 2 screenshots about a year ago)

Posted Image

Posted Image

I know it's a very minor thing but I'd like to see it being made into this new version.

Interesting idea, but it should not happen, because there are actually no changes to the game to warrant calling it something different and modify the EXE in the process. It's counterproductive and confusing. Especially for the second one, the DOS version is NOT the Megaton Edition. The source port is, and the Classic version is a bonus.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostHendricks266, on 11 October 2014 - 10:21 AM, said:

EDuke32 is objectively the best way to play Duke.

There is no objectively best way to play DN3D.

• Weaponized Autism

Horiz-plus widescreen, optimized mouse input, modern HUD settings, FLAC audio support, modern keybinds, the classic renderer, etc...

User is offline   MetHy 

Yeah, and differences with the original game some of which influence gameplay. No multiplayer. When something added or changed, something else very often breaks. Also since this is about a version that gets sold for download on the 3DR website and EDuke32 keeps getting updated every 2 weeks, they'd have to constantly keep track of the updates.

I'm not saying EDuke32 is shit, it's great and I like most of what it did to DN3D, but you can't claim it's objectively the best. It all depends on what you're looking for. As far as "selling Duke Nukem 3D" is concerned, I think there is no better option than selling the original DOS version. Anyone is free to choose any sourceport he likes if he wants to use one. EDuke32 shouldn't replace DN3D, it should be on top of it.

Also, business agreements don't mean much by themselves, Megaton got one as well.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 11 October 2014 - 11:16 AM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMetHy, on 11 October 2014 - 11:13 AM, said:

Also since this is about a version that gets sold for download on the 3DR website and EDuke32 keeps getting updated every 2 weeks, they'd have to constantly keep track of the updates.

EDuke32 can keep track of its own updates, and we can set something up that constantly updates the files available from the 3DR store.

EDIT: Oculus Rift support, anyone?

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 11 October 2014 - 11:55 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Since the upcoming Android version is using EDuke32, that's the only option if you ever want a PC version that achieves feature and content parity. The nicer looking UI type stuff is already coming with the Android version (including touch/mouse support in the menu) so it would be a no-brainer to compile that into the PC version as well. This would also open the door for a 20th anniversary collector's edition in 2016 that contains the same library of stuff as the Android version will.

And, as Evan mentioned, our company would have no problem putting that together.

EDuke32 with the classic renderer is objectively the best way for a contemporary player to enjoy the authentic Duke Nukem 3D experience with modern day standards and luxuries (WASD keyboard setup, native mouse look, proper widescreen support, etc.) in a simple pickup-and-play package. Megaton fails in a number of ways in this regard (texture filtering enabled by default, outdated Polymost renderer needing updates, still a lack of proper Hor+ widescreen support), and DOSBox shouldn't be regarded as the method of choice as it's really only geared towards advanced users and purists, perfect for the target audience but not for the average player. The only real advantages that Megaton has is multiplayer and the fact that it comes pre-bundled with the base game and the expansion packs as part of the retail package, the latter of which is a significant convenience factor.

If I had to fault EDuke32 for one thing, it's that it doesn't clearly convey the purpose and difference between the Polymost and Polymer 32-bit renderers. Personally, I think it would be best to make the classic 8-bit renderer be the default choice, but that may be controversial. As it is, a first time user will likely end up running the source port in the Polymost renderer.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

EDuke32.

View PostMetHy, on 11 October 2014 - 11:13 AM, said:

Yeah, and differences with the original game some of which influence gameplay.

Such as? The only thing I can think of is the slightly different devastator behavior of older versions, which seems to be fixed now.

User is offline   JoJo the Idiot Circus Boy 

• Steven Shitlord

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 11 October 2014 - 07:34 AM, said:

I'd like to know which version you prefer.
Eveything from sourceport, release (megaton), etc.

We're trying to put together the absolute best version out there, without changing core elements such as the art, gameplay etc. (no HRP pack etc.)

To be honest sir I played alot of Duke Nukem 3D ports, I really think if you where to create a perfect version, you would have to step out of those lines do something that people never done that I would not know what to do Mr Fox and Duke4 did amazing with Eduke, you could do shit ton of stuff on there, that no other port can do, the thing that is missing is online play Coop/Dm still waiting on it

This post has been edited by The Elite Duke Force: 11 October 2014 - 03:15 PM

the thing about which version of Duke 3D is preferred, is a pretty tough one to decide. every version might have upsides to them. but they will have downsides to. for me. i'm kinda 50/50. half with EDuke32 and half with Megaton

This post has been edited by Mr. Nukem Roses: 11 October 2014 - 03:03 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Thanks for the enlightened, informative post. I did not know that.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

When eduke32 gets full, polished multiplayer support, it'll be pretty hard to beat it as the best all-round modern way to play Duke.

I wouldn't say Megaton's higher user map download counter is an indication of the port's popularity directly, but rather a result of the convenience of Steam Workshop, which isn't the same thing. As a result it wouldn't be fair to directly compare the two in this regard.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Duke Plus™ with Pokeballs.

User is offline   JoJo the Idiot Circus Boy 

• Steven Shitlord

View PostMicky C, on 11 October 2014 - 03:16 PM, said:

When eduke32 gets full, polished multiplayer support, it'll be pretty hard to beat it as the best all-round modern way to play Duke.

I wouldn't say Megaton's higher user map download counter is an indication of the port's popularity directly, but rather a result of the convenience of Steam Workshop, which isn't the same thing. As a result it wouldn't be fair to directly compare the two in this regard.

Agreed Sir

User is offline   Besli 

I only played the PC versions of Duke Nukem 3D and Duke Nukem 3D Plutonium/Atomic Edition.

But I would be very interested in:
Duke Nukem Total Meltdown - because of the cinematic movies
Duke Nukem 64 - because of the different weapons and levels

My personal port is EDuke.

Duke Nukem XBLA had some hires graphic, but was also very different to the PC version. (Not in a bad way.)
Duke Nukem Megaton, has some hires stuff. But I think it's the badest version. (And it's on Steam :) )

This post has been edited by Besli: 11 October 2014 - 03:28 PM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options