Duke4.net Forums: Which version of Duke3D is preferred amongst fans? - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which version of Duke3D is preferred amongst fans?

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostThe Angry Kiwi, on 15 October 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

I assume when he says HD, he's meaning the same crap that NUKEMDAVE always goes on about by ruining the textures with 32 bit high res ones.

I thought NUKEMDAVE canceled that project.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 15 October 2014 - 01:04 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 11 October 2014 - 07:34 AM, said:

I'd like to know which version you prefer.
Eveything from sourceport, release (megaton), etc.

Version: I have to say the shareware version is my favorite, I played it first, but also Episode 1 is just better IMO. The levels still fell much more iconic.

Sourceport: EDuke32. First, I'd only consider one with the extended map limits, since most maps made this decade exceed the original limits. Secondly, modability, Duke3D is still around today because of user content, so many great works are only on EDuke32. Last, software + polymost together is better.

Release: Megaton is awesome. Reintroducing todays gamers to Duke3D is great for the community. Multiplayer is my favorite aspect of this game.

etc: Pack up discs and sell cool boxes. Original Atomic Edition content.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostReaperMan, on 15 October 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

I thought NUKEMDAVE canceled that project.

It was too much work. I was trying to get some artists together and have the sprites drawn. Just a few things were done. It would be easier to use 3D models and pose them. I remember someone suggested that the HRP models be used, but my whole point in the project was to do something totally different from the HRP. Maybe if any of those original 3D models are ever found that were used for the game, something can be done. Some will probably disagree, but I would like to see an official, HD re-release of the game. With the HD art optional, of course.

I moved onto making an HRP for Zero Hour and I made more profess on it. I've also been working on my Super Nukem Bros. mod again. I might make an update post in the thread for it soon.

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 15 October 2014 - 01:42 PM

User is offline   JoJo the Idiot Circus Boy 

• Steven Shitlord

View PostThe Angry Kiwi, on 15 October 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

That's more like it.
I assume when he says HD, he's meaning the same crap that NUKEMDAVE always goes on about by ruining the textures with 32 bit high res ones.

Really dude that was a joke, I'm not a fan of the HRP.

This post has been edited by The Elite Duke Force: 15 October 2014 - 02:30 PM

He's not talking about the HRP.

User is offline   JoJo the Idiot Circus Boy 

• Steven Shitlord

View PostReaperMan, on 15 October 2014 - 02:40 PM, said:

He's not talking about the HRP.

The HD thing he mad because of that?

This post has been edited by The Elite Duke Force: 15 October 2014 - 02:48 PM

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostThe Elite Duke Force, on 15 October 2014 - 02:47 PM, said:

The HD thing he mad because of that?

Yeah, it was something I was working on a while back. It doesn't matter now, unless someone else in the community does it or it's done officially. But judging by Frederik's first post, he's not interested in such a thing.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostThe Elite Duke Force, on 15 October 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

Really dude that was a joke, I'm not a fan of the HRP.

That is great news to read.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

We're trying to put together the absolute best version out there, without changing core elements such as the art, gameplay etc. (no HRP pack etc.)

Since there are as many opinions as there are versions, I suppose it would be logical to give the players a choice and include them all. I guess this would not be much of a problem these days, file size wise.

The original DOS versions obviously have the merit of being original. In addition, the game runs seamlessly in DOSBox, and can theoretically be played on anything that DOSBox might be ported to, while remaining the same on all those platforms (because the game itself remains unchanged).

I suppose that it is not impossible to include every source port in existence - at least, stable builds of every major one. That way anyone would be able to easily try out the different ports and decide for themselves (if they haven't already) what suits them best.

On a related note, I think that some of the hardcore fans would appreciate the possibility to play both Duke3D registered v1.3D and the Atomic Edition at their option.

User is offline   SwissCm 

A nicely polished version of eDuke32 and the DOS version of 1.5 thrown in as a bonus for nostalgia fanatics.

Polymer and multiplayer really do need to be fixed up to release quality. Polymost should be dumped, it's pretty broken by design, even if it was clever for its time.

If you guys ever find the 3D models for some of the items/monsters, re-rendering them at double the resolution could be a good idea.

View PostSwissCm, on 16 October 2014 - 02:00 PM, said:

Polymost should be dumped, it's pretty broken by design, even if it was clever for its time.

I don't really see a point in removing it if its already there, besides some people may prefer to use that over polymer and classic.

User is offline   SwissCm 

View PostReaperMan, on 16 October 2014 - 02:33 PM, said:

I don't really see a point in removing it if its already there, besides some people may prefer to use that over polymer and classic.

I was informed by a terribly upset and offended TX that Polymost had some fixed and upgrades lately that have made it good enough for general use.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

It's true, I haven't stopped sobbing and cutting myself since our conversation. :)

User is offline   MetHy 

So what did they go for in the end? It doesn't actually say

I just installed it. It seems they went with eDuke32 + Dosbox.

User is offline   Flesh420 

I'd like to know which version you prefer.
Eveything from sourceport, release (megaton), etc.

We're trying to put together the absolute best version out there, without changing core elements such as the art, gameplay etc. (no HRP pack etc.)

Sorry to ressurrect the thread, but I think the best version to release would be similar to Megaton but with a more coherent multiplayer capability. Something that fixes all the problems and makes it easy and problem free like Doom source ports. Megaton Multiplayer didnt last because problems and annoyances mostly lag attributed to distant players. Also lack of server browser.

Why exactly has Duke3D mp been so problem prone anyway? I dont think I've ever played a decent lag-free game since owning any version of Duke.

This post has been edited by Flesh420: 09 May 2015 - 05:54 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostFlesh420, on 09 May 2015 - 05:53 AM, said:

Why exactly has Duke3D mp been so problem prone anyway? I dont think I've ever played a decent lag-free game since owning any version of Duke.

The original multi-player protocol (IPX-SPX) was intended for a direct connection between two computers either in the same room or network (point to point) not spanned over many different networks across the globe. The network code was intended to be processed instantly and didn't really compensate well for any type of delay or latency in the connection. The protocol they were using was also specifically intended to be used in a LAN (local area network) environment and was very well optimized for quick communication back and forth, not to be routed over the internet. The internet uses a different protocol for that (TCP\IP) and IPX/SPX wasn't adopted. As technology and networking expanded beyond one physical location the game's code never really was updated to accept variable connection speeds or synchronizing between faster and slower connections. So in order for the game to perform well on the network all computers needed to be running at exactly the same connection speed otherwise problems would occur as we see when we attempt to establish an online session.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 09 May 2015 - 10:30 AM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options