Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] EDuke32 Addon Compilation - Duke4.net Forums

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] EDuke32 Addon Compilation  "Version 3.13 released on December 6, 2016!"

User is offline   Polunka 

View PostFistMarine, on 08 June 2016 - 03:31 AM, said:

I have taken a look at dukrtcm and moddb pages for Total Apocalypse episode and to me it seems the level design is average at best. But then again, there are some addons already included in the compilation that have average design.

Well, at least I liked the old-school vibe of the levels. Then again, American Assault also had average level quality overall (from what I remember), but it's not the special thing about it really. It's all about gameplay (imo) and once again old-school-ness :)

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 11 December 2016 - 06:59 AM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

It's impossible. Those maps were a disaster. And please be honest, you will not play AA multiplayer. :)

View PostFistMarine, on 08 June 2016 - 06:22 AM, said:

Yeah, I agree. American Assault also had average level design but I liked the new weapons (Dual pistols, SSG from Doom 2, etc) and I also remember Lost Duke Episodes having average level design but the main highlights were the soundtrack and the new monsters. :)

Well, I had used to play Duke with no soundtrack in the background in the past before I realised about all the charm it delivers to the overall impression levels make on you. Guess I should replay Lost Episodes with the music on :P cause back then I didnt like them all that much which was primarily the design's fault. :(

Btw, NightFright, if you eventually get to adding Total Apocalypse to the compilation, as I remember, there was a problem with some missing textures that are not included (as far as i know) in the original archive of the episode (which can be downloaded from either moddb or rtcm, they have that exact archive). I have them as 2 TILESxxx.art files, don't remember where I got them. I might send them to you, I even remember the places on some levels where they are missing, just to ensure :)

This post has been edited by Polunka: 08 June 2016 - 07:44 AM

• The Truth is in here

Yepp, upload them somewhere and send me the link. Will be hard enough to find these by myself, I guess... xD

View PostNightFright, on 08 June 2016 - 07:57 AM, said:

Yepp, upload them somewhere and send me the link. Will be hard enough to find these by myself, I guess... xD

Have just done that, check your PM list :)

This post has been edited by Polunka: 08 June 2016 - 08:26 AM

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 11 December 2016 - 06:59 AM

I was just re-reading your changelogs in the first 2 posts, and a realisation suddenly struck me that we still don't have Billy Boy's maps (I think you must've heard about them and the author himself), you know, Clearwater (Cranium.map), Light House (biglight.map) etc. Do you ever plan on adding them? I think many remember them as being extremely well designed as well as having some frigin abstruse layouts that made you end up wandering through the maps for hours to figure the paths out :)

This post has been edited by Polunka: 13 June 2016 - 04:57 AM

• The Truth is in here

I had started that and then gave up. Many of Billy's maps use custom con code and there are conflicts since they replace the same actors. No way you get it done in a convenient way. You would have to switch between different con files before playing the maps. There are also art tiles which collide. This is too complicated for common users, so I decided not to go through with it. This project is supposed to be easy to use.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 13 June 2016 - 04:56 AM

View PostNightFright, on 13 June 2016 - 04:52 AM, said:

I had started that and then gave up. Many of Billy's maps use custom con code and there are conflicts since they replace the same actors. No way you get it done in a convenient way. You would have to switch between different con files before playing the maps. There are also art tiles which collide. This is too complicated for common users, so I decided not to go through with it. This project is supposed to be easy to use.

Well, okay, kinda sad to hear that tbh :P But, still, I could just go to my specified custom map directory and get them working by myself (I remember doing that with all the maps Billy made). Idk, maybe it just would be nice to see them in your compilation, but... whatever. I think everyone could live with that :)

This post has been edited by Polunka: 13 June 2016 - 05:00 AM

User is offline   blizzart 

View PostNightFright, on 13 June 2016 - 04:52 AM, said:

But wouldn´t it be possible to put Billy Boy´s maps one by one into the compilation? It wouldn´t be the best soultion. I know, but at least uncommon players, who don´t know how to get them run with EDuke can play them.

View Postblizzart, on 13 June 2016 - 05:02 AM, said:

But wouldn´t it be possible to put Billy Boy´s maps one by one into the compilation? It wouldn´t be the best soultion. I know, but at least uncommon players, who don´t know how to get them run with EDuke can play them.

Huh, this idea just dashed through my head, but I immediately rejected it :) Like, kinda stupid to put those maps there as different titles. Tho... those maps take lots o time each to complete, so... Might be like a substitute for some short episodes.

This post has been edited by Polunka: 13 June 2016 - 05:08 AM

• The Truth is in here

Once it is possible to load per-map con code, it can be considered. Per-map art tiles are already possible, so mayyyyyyybe one day if the coding team finds a way to pull it off (and is actually sees a reason to do it)...
Just a reminder: Not everything can be in this compilation.

In the meantime, I managed to put three more entries into the 2.1 update:
- Alien vs Predator
- Oblivion (yes, it is back after being removed in 2.0 - latest EDuke32 snapshot r5775 fixes the E2L10 crash after several years)
- Total Apocalypse

This brings the total amount of supported addons to 103. Yes, I know it's an odd number - and I don't care. :)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 13 June 2016 - 06:50 AM

View PostNightFright, on 13 June 2016 - 06:41 AM, said:

Once it is possible to load per-map con code, it can be considered. Per-map art tiles are already possible, so mayyyyyyybe one day if the coding team finds a way to pull it off (and is actually sees a reason to do it)...
Just a reminder: Not everything can be in this compilation.

In the meantime, I managed to put three more entries into the 2.1 update:
- Alien vs Predator
- Oblivion (yes, it is back after being removed in 2.0 - latest EDuke32 snapshot r5775 fixes the E2L10 crash after several years)
- Total Apocalypse

This brings the total amount of supported addons to 103. Yes, I know it's an odd number - and I don't care. :)

Nice tho, so you've added TotalApc and AvP to the party, thank ya man! Did you need the art files I'd sent to you? Btw, thanks for considering Oblivion as well - one of my favourite TCs of all time (I'm also in anticipation for Zaxtor's upcoming Trequonia TC :P ) which I did have some problems with during attempts to launch it. (I've played it, completed like 2 or 3 times and do know some secret routes, no all of them tho, have yet to figure the remainder out; tho I dont remember any crashes with e2l10)
P.S.: Maybe you've got an exact release date for 2.1 already?

This post has been edited by Polunka: 13 June 2016 - 07:25 AM

• The Truth is in here

Yepp, I implemented your art files, and it's actually the only way to make some of the maps look proper. Do you happen to know where you got these files from or how you knew that those were the ones that needed to be used in TA? They seem to contain graphics from Doom, Quake and Blood, if I am not mistaken.

BTW when playing TA, I think there is a showstopper in level "Doomed". I was unable to find the second blue keycard which you need to reach the exit. I was checking with Mapster32 and realized that there seems to be only one blue keycard in this map, meaning that the author may have forgotten to put a second one. I have already fixed this, but it wouldn't hurt if one of you guys were able to confirm this.

I hope to release 2.1 by the end of June.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 13 June 2016 - 07:29 AM

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 11 December 2016 - 07:00 AM

Possible re-implementation of Nuclear Showdown?

• The Truth is in here

Not gonna happen, sorry. It's a mod and remains disfunctional. Should have never been added to the compilation in the first place.

View PostNightFright, on 13 June 2016 - 09:26 AM, said:

Not gonna happen, sorry. It's a mod and remains disfunctional. Should have never been added to the compilation in the first place.

Well, I kept the GRP + INFOGROUP from the previous compilation for who want to try it anyway despite functionality (or even fix it properly). It is still the unique more patched and compatible than the original after all.

Attached File  Nuclear Showdown Addon Compilation.zip (6.19MB)
Number of downloads: 444

grpinfo
{
name "Nuclear Showdown"
scriptname "icdgame.con"
defname "duke3d.def"
size 20139847
dependency DUKE15_CRC
flags GAMEFLAG_ADDON
crc 1944537835
}

View PostNightFright, on 13 June 2016 - 07:28 AM, said:

Yepp, I implemented your art files, and it's actually the only way to make some of the maps look proper. Do you happen to know where you got these files from or how you knew that those were the ones that needed to be used in TA? They seem to contain graphics from Doom, Quake and Blood, if I am not mistaken.

BTW when playing TA, I think there is a showstopper in level "Doomed". I was unable to find the second blue keycard which you need to reach the exit. I was checking with Mapster32 and realized that there seems to be only one blue keycard in this map, meaning that the author may have forgotten to put a second one. I have already fixed this, but it wouldn't hurt if one of you guys were able to confirm this.

Responding, man. First, I just did some research on these arts, and it turned out papamonos (the author) seems to have used those tiles for some of his other maps as well (for example, Living on the Wildside and Gates Motel). Downloading their archives will grant you those tiles.
Secondly, it was rather an interesting case about how I found out they belong in TA: if you read the template txt for Gates Motel map (or at least this one), he specifies the textures used (the names of the tiles, TILES 14 and 15), as well as mentions they're the same tiles used for TA. The thing is, in both of the templates from TA archive (template for WELCOME, the first map of the episode and another one for TA itself) he didn't say a mere word about them :)
Third, I just tested Doomed.map and it seems you simply missed it, man. The second blue card is in the trashcan on top of the building where we use an elevator getting us up to the roof, there's also a protector drone guarding the lift (sorry, no idea how to make screenshots in eduke). You get up the building, and theres a window in the wall to the left of the elevator with an octabrain inside and a trashcan with the card (I mean the left from the perspective as if you come outta the lift).
Phew, hope you'll comprehend, otherwise i'll have to make screenshots or even record a video. Sorry for my English.

This post has been edited by Polunka: 14 June 2016 - 12:52 AM

• The Truth is in here

Press F12 to take screenshots. Try to make a screen where I also see the map. Would really help because it appears Mapster32 fails to show the second blue keycard for some weird reason.

*EDIT*
I found it, it's indeed inside a trashcan on top of a building I didn't visit. Crap. xD Thanks a lot for the hint, pal!

This post has been edited by NightFright: 14 June 2016 - 02:05 AM

User is offline   blizzart 

I´ve just noticed, that Redrum: The Shining 2 is missing in the compilation. Any plans to add it? It´s an fantastic and detailed rebuild of the Overlook Hotel from The Shining ad comes along with its own GRP, Cons and Arts.

It can be downloaded here: http://www.theshinin...om/download.htm

View PostNightFright, on 14 June 2016 - 01:52 AM, said:

*EDIT*
I found it, it's indeed inside a trashcan on top of a building I didn't visit. Crap. xD Thanks a lot for the hint, pal!

Nice to hear that i was of any help here ;D
Just sent you a message with the attachments, then saw your last response and edited the msg.

This post has been edited by Polunka: 14 June 2016 - 02:27 AM

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 11 December 2016 - 07:00 AM

View PostFistMarine, on 14 June 2016 - 03:13 AM, said:

I know why you had problems launching these addons. It's because they both have USER.CON file, which will conflict if you have any other USER.CON file into your EDuke32 directory. I think Burnt should have the con file renamed to burnt.con. As for The Christmas Project, I don't know what to suggest since it has a lot of CON files, 3 of them using original DEFS, GAME and USER filenames.

Huh, okay, man, I'll take that into consideration :)

• The Truth is in here

Normally I wouldn't add one-level episodes since they have little gameplay value, but since I have received several requests for "Redrum" and it's apparently considered being a classic, it will be included in 2.1 after all. Cheers! :)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 14 June 2016 - 06:02 AM

View PostNightFright, on 14 June 2016 - 05:59 AM, said:

Normally I wouldn't add one-level episodes since they have little gameplay value, but since I have received several requests for "Redrum" and it's apparently considered being a classic, it will be included in 2.1 after all. Cheers! :(

I wonder how I've been missing this classic. :) Well, will definitely give it a shot when the 2.1 is released :P

User is offline   NNC 

Just for the thought... are the many maps by Stranger considered for a pack?

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 14 June 2016 - 11:15 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

I don't mind too much about adding people's levels to the pack but I'd rather actual addons get included instead since maps are already pretty easy to come by but addons sometimes require a little more work which this pack aims to help with :)

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options