• 53 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bombshell

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 10 May 2016 - 11:06 AM, said:

Wow that's really dumb. So they said to the reviewers, "Hey, ignore the bugs because they will be fixed in the released version." It is very naive to assume that reviewers are going to listen carefully or even care about a disclaimer like that. Also, the reviewers would have to take his word for it -- they don't really know that the bugs will actually be fixed. That shows very poor judgment from Interceptor. The lesson may be learned now, but it's too late.

The problem is, if you have a game breaking bug that is ruining your experience while being asked to make a review, you can't get an accurate experience and thus an accurate critique.
If you stay at a hotel where they assure you they will have a roof put on top before regular people are allowed to stay there, and it rains on you while you stay there and are asked to give a rating, you are going to be pretty honest hopefully.
Definitely a lesson to be learned.

View PostDukeNukem64, on 10 May 2016 - 11:24 AM, said:

They are being active about bombshell again - i guessed they were doing some kind of re-release or maybe the console version is cominh soon..

Prequel news hopefully

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostTrooper Dan, on 10 May 2016 - 11:06 AM, said:

Wow that's really dumb. So they said to the reviewers, "Hey, ignore the bugs because they will be fixed in the released version." It is very naive to assume that reviewers are going to listen carefully or even care about a disclaimer like that. Also, the reviewers would have to take his word for it -- they don't really know that the bugs will actually be fixed. That shows very poor judgment from Interceptor. The lesson may be learned now, but it's too late.

What else is an honest reviewer supposed to do? Imagine if you have to review a game, and the developer tells you that the game sucks now but it will be better when it's released. What do you do, not mention that the game sucks? Reviewers will review what you show them, not your promises.

This post has been edited by Fox: 10 June 2016 - 01:11 PM

User is offline   deuxsonic 

Review as-is and then put at the end "the developers told me that the game would be fixed upon release -- your experience may vary" I guess.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostFox, on 10 May 2016 - 04:50 PM, said:

Imagine if you have to review a game, and the developer tells you that the game sucks now but it will be better when it's released.

That's pretty much definition of a preview, not review. So yeah, not sure what Interceptor expected. Either not send review codes, which is not a good idea for low hype game, or delay release date.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

They did delay the release though didn't they?

This post has been edited by Micky C: 11 May 2016 - 02:10 PM

Yes they did

User is offline   Kathy 

Wait, did they delay after reviews came out? Damn...

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

No? They released at the same time as reviews. The original release date was last year however.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostLunick, on 28 March 2016 - 06:39 PM, said:

A month and a bit later and the negative reviews have picked back up despite the new patch claiming to make things better:
Posted Image

Well...
Posted Image
And
Posted Image
:)

Sooo...

I just saw an update on the facebook page and decided to go check out their updates and news.

What i found out that was interesting was that their facebook 'likes' is ''only'' a bit above 26k. 2 months ago it was a bit above 28k. :)

Hopefully their next game will sell atleast to cover their costs + a bit more to fund the Interceptor/3D Realms in the future. They seem to care but for how long can people accept a half-decent game just as long it got mods? :P

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

The state of Bombshell 1.3 and Console Versions

Hi Guys!

Thank you so much for all the great feedback we've gotten.
I want to update you all on the future of Bombshell, and what you can expect in the following months.

First of all, we've been continously collecting feedback, bugs and suggestions from you guys, and we've established a great list of things to improve. You can find the list of what's to come at the end of this post.

Secondly, the console versions of Bombshell.
We wanted to delay Bombshell on consoles, in order to pack as much content into those versions as possible. The next update for Bombshell will be a "Definitive" update, that includes everything we've been able to collect in terms of feedback. This is the version that will launch on consoles. But we will continue to support Bombshell, and if more great feedback, ideas and suggestions should arise, we'll dive right back into development, and supply further updates to you guys!

Below you'll find a list of new Features, Additions, Tweaks and Bugfixes in the upcoming 1.3 version of Bombshell:

Spoiler

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostDukeNukem64, on 10 June 2016 - 01:01 PM, said:

Hopefully their next game will sell atleast to cover their costs + a bit more to fund the Interceptor/3D Realms in the future. They seem to care but for how long can people accept a half-decent game just as long it got mods? :)

I have a hard time believing the Build prequel won't at the very least pay for itself, unless someone is getting paid an absurd amount to work on it :P

I think the game is dead for console players at this point. It came out 6 months ago and was average. Atleast SW was good and then released on consoles.

This post has been edited by DukeNukem64: 10 June 2016 - 10:20 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostDukeNukem64, on 10 June 2016 - 10:20 PM, said:

I think the game is dead for console players at this point. It came out 6 months ago and was average. Atleast SW was good and then released on consoles.

That comment makes no sense. It can't be "dead" for console players if they've never been exposed to it.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostHulkNukem, on 10 June 2016 - 03:47 PM, said:

I have a hard time believing the Build prequel won't at the very least pay for itself, unless someone is getting paid an absurd amount to work on it :)

The prequel will have more success than Bombshell. Watch it.
If it comes out at the right price it will benefit from the success of Doom-era FPS re-releases like Megaton, Redux, Veteran Edition, etc Not to mention even modern FPS try to be retro these days. It comes out at the perfect time.
Plus the word will spread easily as everyone will want to review a new retro FPS made "with the engine of DN3D and Blood".

Plus if it it has modding support it will have a longer lifespan too.

Would be nice if we got to see another screenshot or two!

This post has been edited by MetHy: 10 June 2016 - 10:38 PM

User is offline   Player Lin 

I just tired on checkpoint system of games(I still try to fix it myself so I can play Bombshell and DooM 4 again but so far it's not working...), so I'm looking forward the prequel...because I'm seriously sure it won't have that kinds of system only. :)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 10 June 2016 - 10:51 PM

View PostTerminX, on 10 June 2016 - 10:23 PM, said:

That comment makes no sense. It can't be "dead" for console players if they've never been exposed to it.

Well it does for me. No need to be a grammer nazi when you know that English is my 4th language and you clearly understood my point.

• el fundador

What?

View PostTerminX, on 10 June 2016 - 11:00 PM, said:

What?

The saying in danish translates to something like this:

It was dead before it even came out. As in: Everyone knew it would fail. :)

• el fundador

I think it'll do better on consoles than it did on PC.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMetHy, on 10 June 2016 - 10:30 PM, said:

The prequel will have more success than Bombshell. Watch it.
If it comes out at the right price it will benefit from the success of Doom-era FPS re-releases like Megaton, Redux, Veteran Edition, etc Not to mention even modern FPS try to be retro these days. It comes out at the perfect time.

Except no one cares about Bombshell as they care about Doom. I don't know why would anyone be interested in build Bombshell except community here since initial game surely haven't made many new fans.

But it will depend on price(if any).

Plus the word will spread easily as everyone will want to review a new retro FPS made "with the engine of DN3D and Blood".

It might have that "it's better than new shiny game" vibe, but its price would have to be $5 to interest larger crowd. Actually, yeah, it might do just that with that price. But it needs to be really good for a "build mod" to sell.

I hope I'm wrong, though. Having a build success story would be great.

User is offline   Lunick 

As long as Bombshell doesn't launch in a bad state like the PC version did, I think the console version should do better. It depends if they actually do some marketing this time and if the patches have made the game more enjoyable or not. It may give a chance for some reviewers to revisit the game since it will hopefully be in a better state than what they received it a few months ago.

• Honored Donor

$5 would be too low, at least assuming it's more than 2 hours. $10 is probably a better option, and at least that way they can put it on sale for 75% off without giving it away for peanuts.

• el fundador

It'll be more than $5. It's a real game with assets created entirely from scratch, not some mod for an existing game or anything even vaguely similar to that concept. People will be interested in it for the same reason they're interested in other retro shooters. The difference is, this one is authentic. :)

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostKathy, on 10 June 2016 - 11:29 PM, said:

Except no one cares about Bombshell as they care about Doom. I don't know why would anyone be interested in build Bombshell except community here since initial game surely haven't made many new fans.

But it will depend on price(if any).

It might have that "it's better than new shiny game" vibe, but its price would have to be $5 to interest larger crowd. Actually, yeah, it might do just that with that price. But it needs to be really good for a "build mod" to sell.

I hope I'm wrong, though. Having a build success story would be great.

It's not about brand name or "Bombshell fans", it's about having a brand new Build FPS. I'm sure there are people out there craving for more of those FPS games they've been playing the re-releases of, except this time it will be a brand new one which is even better.

I don't know how much Megaton sold exactly but it's a fuckton. That's the target, and more, because not all people who like retro FPS bought Megaton. Doom fans who've bought Strife Veteran Edition will also be interested in this.

Maybe I'm wrong but I believe but won't be the "failure" (or rather, limited success) of games like Wrack, because the fact that it works in Build will pick people's curiosity, it will trigger nostalgia and be a sign of quality rather than having the feeling to be looking at another retro hipster indie shit, and also because hopefully the people working on this know how to make a retro FPS.
I just hope these guys have played a fuckton of stock Doom, DN3D and Blood lately and do something like that, my biggest fear is that the maps feel like DN3D usermaps instead, as I haven't seen many people in this community release a map that could pass up as part of an original game in terms of layout and gameplay (myelf included, when I look back at Metroplitan Mayhem I find it mostly bad now and I am sure I would do a lot better nowadays).

About the fact that it runs on Build, hopefully they use polymost and as much as I hate to admit it they will need to advertise on the fact that the renderer is true 3D now and that there is no distortion when looking up and down. A lot of people hate the view distortion when looking up and down in Build games and think it's something typical of Build, even though it would be the same to any 2.5D engine including Doom if you could actually look up.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 10 June 2016 - 11:59 PM

• Honored Donor

What about WGRealms 2? That really mixed up the gameplay.

View PostMetHy, on 10 June 2016 - 11:58 PM, said:

I don't know how much Megaton sold exactly but it's a fuckton. That's the target, and more, because not all people who like retro FPS bought Megaton. Doom fans who've bought Strife Veteran Edition will also be interested in this.

A large amount of that would have been those $1 humble bundle sales though.

User is offline   MetHy 

I love WGRealms 2 but its level design hasn't much in common with stock Build games.

I've already mentioned it several times but I think the most "pro" usermap I've ever seen is Insurance Overload and that's the kind of design I'm talking about and I hope to see in Bombshell.

User is offline   Jblade 

I think the prequel will do better than the original - A) because it's a psuedo-retro game and B ) it's a FPS which I just think do a lot better than top down shooters in general. Either way I'm gonna grab it (Although I hope in return some of the guys responsible give my shit a try :))

This post has been edited by Jblade: 11 June 2016 - 12:19 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMicky C, on 11 June 2016 - 12:01 AM, said:

A large amount of that would have been those $1 humble bundle sales though.

Okay, let's break this down. Duke Nukem 3D Megaton has been in 2 Humble bundles, I only have information from one of the bundles and it is listed here https://en.wikipedia..._Humble_Bundles (search for Duke). There were 142,733 purchases for that bundle and not the average was $3.81. SteamDB lists that Megaton has just under 600,000 owners on Steam https://steamdb.info.../225140/graphs/

For the first Devolver bundle, I have managed to get an archive from the Waybackmachine http://web.archive.o...le.com/devolver which lists the bundle sales at 19,454 purchases (no average unfortunately) but there is an average available with a snapshot that was made during the bundle http://web.archive.o...le.com/devolver $3.88

It looks like around 1/4 owners of Megaton on Steam possibly got the game via bundles but remember that not all of those keys may have been activated and some are probably still being sold on key reselling services.

• Honored Donor

I must have several copies of megaton linked to my humble bundle account. Apparently they've since become ungiftable (i.e, tied to my account) since I bought them as gifts, but I've read previously that if you get in touch with humble bundle they'll reverse this.

Share this topic:

• 53 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options