• 53 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bombshell

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMetHy, on 10 June 2016 - 11:58 PM, said:

I don't know how much Megaton sold exactly but it's a fuckton. That's the target, and more, because not all people who like retro FPS bought Megaton.

I think it's erroneous to compare it to Duke Nukem 3d port, which is not only part of recognisable franchise, but FPS classic. You can't expect Bombshell to sell better unless it is a review darling.

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostTerminX, on 10 June 2016 - 11:42 PM, said:

It'll be more than $5. It's a real game with assets created entirely from scratch, not some mod for an existing game or anything even vaguely similar to that concept. People will be interested in it for the same reason they're interested in other retro shooters. The difference is, this one is authentic. :)

You should also add that team is full of professionals in Build Engine field and have many years of experience. Not my business, but 10 $ is minimum price, this game costs much more.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

IMO that depends heavily on how many hours the campaign takes.

I'm assuming that the game would be much more bug-free than the actual Bombshell, considering the Build engine is much simpler.

User is offline   MetHy 

Well, they need to make sure not a single door can kill the player. That's another thing a lot of people claim to be a "Build engine flaw".

Would be nice if other things that we can find in several Build games would be absent too: like being able to stand on tiny and even almost invisible ledges (SW fixed that), hit detection of water or hurt floors (like when you're standing on a sector that's surrounded by hurtfloor, but even if you're not on the hurtfloor you're close enough to get hit), SoS glitches, etc

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

[Message for the guests] Just don't wait for the new Duke 3D. The original Bombshell was million times compared with Diablo 3 and I dislike it. Retro Bombshell will have it's own style and charm.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostMetHy, on 12 June 2016 - 02:55 AM, said:

Well, they need to make sure not a single door can kill the player. That's another thing a lot of people claim to be a "Build engine flaw".

Would be nice if other things that we can find in several Build games would be absent too: like being able to stand on tiny and even almost invisible ledges (SW fixed that), hit detection of water or hurt floors (like when you're standing on a sector that's surrounded by hurtfloor, but even if you're not on the hurtfloor you're close enough to get hit), SoS glitches, etc

Considering those working on it have 20 years of knowledge about any engine bugs and quirks, I think it'll be fine in that regard. I have enough confidence in those working on it the game will deliver, stuff like DNF2013, its addon, and Duke Hard, among other mods and custom maps this community has created are all great, and having a team focus on creating a brand new game should lead to some really new and surprising stuff.
The only thing that would hurt it is if the game is rushed, I doubt that will be an issue though,

• Honored Donor

I wonder what the level design is aiming for.

Personally I'd rather they go for something a bit more ambitious than stock Duke 3D-style maps, by which I mean conceptually grand maps. Abyss perhaps did this the best out of the original game's levels, somewhat due to its size, atmosphere and vertical height differences. Also, some well-done set pieces would be a nice touch.

User is offline   MetHy 

I think DN3D has plenty of ambitious levels in their own ways.

Like Spaceport and Fusion Station, those maps have more verticality than any Quake map I can think of.

Speaking of that, I'm sure we'll find stuff like that but with TROR instead.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I see that Bombshell is 66% off on Steam now during the Summer Sale. I assume it's worth buying for that price, regardless of its remaining flaws (and considering another update is apparently imminent to address more problems)...

This post has been edited by NightFright: 24 June 2016 - 05:31 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

It's playable and good at current price, but do not expect too much. :)

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

From Voidpoint's Twitter:
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

VERY. NICE.

I haven't touched my copy of Bombshell yet but I can't wait to play this.

User is offline   Lunick 

I didn't realise there was a second image!

• Honored Donor

What if Bombshell was intentionally bad on purpose to gain publicity for the prequel as the main feature?

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMicky C, on 09 July 2016 - 09:22 PM, said:

What if Bombshell was intentionally bad on purpose to gain publicity for the prequel as the main feature?

That would be a lot of wasted money...

So this is all true 3D with TROR and no weirdness when looking up or whatever it was, right?

I like how the base is carved into the soil, but I hope there will be screens of other types of environment soon.

• Honored Donor

View PostPikaCommando, on 09 July 2016 - 09:35 PM, said:

So this is all true 3D with TROR and no weirdness when looking up or whatever it was, right?

Huh? It's the same old eduke32. It's no more 3D then regular build. I doubt it'd make extensive use of TROR. TROR isn't really all that practical for true, complicated 3D construction anyway beyond simple multi-floor interaction. Not that you need TROR for good level design anyway. It can be a nice complement at times but by no means essential.

If you're asking whether it'll have proper perspective using polymost, then I'm sure it can.

User is offline   Gambini 

It needs color.. much more color!! Still very pleasant to see.

User is offline   MetHy 

If it needs something, it's shadows and variations in lights. That's a common problem when you add too much details without thinking of shadows before building those details, you're left with little choice on how to do it in the end.
All Build games are known for their strong shadows and I think more simple detailing can look better if allows for it.

For instance in the first screenshot the foreground is darker than the back area but the difference is barely noticeable.
In the 2nd screen maybe have some of the lights turned off, or flickering? Or maybe have that green goo emit a slow fading light?

I like it though.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 10 July 2016 - 12:04 AM

• Honored Donor

You argue it has a more realistic look; most rooms in real life that have multiple light sources don't have strong shadows. Light tends to be relatively uniform in these situations, so it doesn't bother me too much.

I see what you mean though.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 10 July 2016 - 12:06 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMicky C, on 10 July 2016 - 12:06 AM, said:

real life

I remember a long time ago I was comparing a Duke map to real life, and Geoffrey/Fakir told me "Real life looks boring."

That was a revelation for me.

Edit : Now of course what would be even better is if after you do something monsters spawn, and it changes the lights in the room. Like, if they can be broken in a fight and it makes part of them darker, other parts flickering, etc

This post has been edited by MetHy: 10 July 2016 - 12:13 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

The lighting will definitely improve. Remember, these are just WIP shots I tweeted under the #screenshotsaturday tag. To be honest, none of the levels are to a point where I would call them close to finished. We're still programming effects, etc.

We got off to a slow start with development; 3DR couldn't spare any resources when they were crunching to ship their game so we lacked anyone to do 3d models for quite a while. So, we ended up in a situation where we have this ridiculous set of close to a thousand brand new, high quality 8-bit textures we've created, but almost no finalized weapons or enemies. I think our pistol model only exists due to a tie-in with either ROTT or the 2013 Shadow Warrior game that never materialized. :P Thankfully, things are moving along much faster now that 3DR has provided us with a competent 3d modeler.

Btw, don't worry about colors: we're currently at 75 palette remappings and our palette is full of some of the most amazing colors to ever grace a Build game.

Best of luck to you and the rest of the folks working on it; Strafe sent out preview copies and lots of publications/websites are drooling over it saying how 90's it is, but I'm hoping this blows that procedurally generic'd game out of the water.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

I don't think this was ever posted. Frederik Schreiber on an Interactive Denmark panel centered around PR.

Panel: Your PR is broken - What will you do? How to get press presence and reaching your players.
In the crowded games market that sees hundreds of game releases each month, getting overlooked is one of the biggest threats. We have gathered a PR panel to discuss existing challenges, possibilities and future solutions in PR for games. How do you get a strong presence in the press and reach your players? - is one of the questions Moderator Christian Fonnesbech will ask the panel, representing different perspectives on PR. Whether you are a big publisher, a small game studio or have a global brand, do the PR challenges and possibilities look alike or are they completely different? We seek answers and new fields to explore.

User is offline   Lunick 

I think I might be bringing some bad delay news, TechRaptor updated their article on Gearbox vs. TerminX today and I spotted a small detail http://techraptor.ne...box-vs-gobeille

"He is also hard at work at his own Duke-inspired FPS that is estimated to release in about a year’s time."

Welp, we've waited longer than that. :D

• el fundador

View PostLunick, on 03 September 2016 - 07:01 PM, said:

I think I might be bringing some bad delay news, TechRaptor updated their article on Gearbox vs. TerminX today and I spotted a small detail http://techraptor.ne...box-vs-gobeille

"He is also hard at work at his own Duke-inspired FPS that is estimated to release in about a year’s time."

It's true. When this new Build engine game was first conceived, Interceptor were thinking more of a quick tie-in as promo material for their game. After it became clear that there's no way the two products would be ready at the same time, and after it became further clear what the public reception of Bombshell itself was, it made much more sense to take a step back, figure out what everybody disliked about Bombshell, make sure those things were completely inapplicable to our game, and focus more on providing a high quality standalone title than the original concept of the tie-in.

You still play as Shelly Harrison, and your primary antagonist is still Dr. Jadus Heskel, but we (Voidpoint) feel that the story and concepts presented to the player in this title are ultimately going to be a lot more interesting to fans of games like Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, or classic gaming in general, and fans of good sci-fi, than the previous game.

• Honored Donor

So is Voidpoint actually the company developing the bombshell prequel in its entirety? I thought that Interceptor was at least partially working on it, with a few mapper(s) from the community and you and Hendricks sort of acting as consultants and making eduke32 additions.

Sounds like the Bombshell prequel is shaping up to be the next main game in the franchise rather than a short promotional tool.

On the topic of 3DR's licence with TX being invalid, it sure seems like 3DR is fairly incompetent when it comes to legal issues. They somehow lost the entire Duke franchise, and before that couldn't even contract out a game properly Posted Image

This post has been edited by Micky C: 03 September 2016 - 08:02 PM

• el fundador

Yes, Voidpoint is heading up the development on the game. Interceptor is co-producing and 3DR is publishing. It was originally supposed to be a lot closer to what you were thinking--Interceptor was going to make a short Build thing to promote Bombshell, and a few guys from the community were independently doing maps under the leadership of myself and Evan.

However, Interceptor ended up being completely bombarded with Bombshell tasks up until the very end, so during fairly early development on this it became necessary for one of us to start making decisions about the gameplay and everything else; someone with the final say on things, that is. I assumed the role and ran with it (and haven't stopped running). Now things are flipped around quite a bit with Voidpoint handling production on the majority of the game and Interceptor contributing whatever we need when possible. For example, we've been borrowing one of their 3d modelers quite a bit lately. It's a much healthier way to develop a game like this overall; it makes it a lot easier when a lot of the ideas are coming from someone who just happens to have spent over a decade writing and enhancing the engine of choice.

So, if the overall design of the final product bugs the hell out of any of you, feel free to blame me because I feel like the thing has become my brainchild at this point. :D I will say that all the other guys working on this seem to agree it's going to be awesome, and I can tell you with 100% confidence that those guys are people you all know and respect.

Obviously its too early to tell and you may not want to talk about it in the first place, but what are the chances of after this comes out, another brand new build engine game was made?
Would it depend on how successful the Bombshell prequel is?
Is the next logical step an early polygonal 3D style game with Bombshell?
Also whats the chances of an expansion pack?
:D

Share this topic:

• 53 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options