• 53 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bombshell

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

A huge issue with indie FPS is lack of proper level design though. Can bet my money that it will be even better than Halo Doom reboot and most AAA FPS in general, not just indie FPS games alone.

Can't wait to play it. Finally "old school FPS" and "retro" aren't buzzwords this time.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

It looks gorgeous. Dem higher-res (not high-res) textures! It keeps the old feel of Build, but dosen't try to lacerate your eyeballs with lego-pixels.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 13 March 2016 - 06:30 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostTerminX, on 11 March 2016 - 03:53 PM, said:

Most of the textures are 128x128 but we have a lot of 256x128, 128x256, etc.

Here's my question. Are they 256 colors, or did you guys go with true color textures?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostTerminX, on 12 March 2016 - 02:32 PM, said:

Here's my question; is that red petrol can looking thing through the door a voxel?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

No, it is not. We currently do not have any voxels, but we are not holding ourselves to that to any extent--we just haven't made any.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostCommando Nukem, on 13 March 2016 - 06:54 AM, said:

Here's my question. Are they 256 colors, or did you guys go with true color textures?

256 colors. 60+ alt palettes. We use some palette tricks to cram more color ramps into the palette, mostly by reducing the number of individual shades per base color by 25%, and by allowing more than one color range to converge into a single ramp as the color range gets darker. Everything is a lot more colorful than the other Build engine games were (imo).

• Honored Donor

View PostTerminX, on 13 March 2016 - 04:01 PM, said:

256 colors. 60+ alt palettes.

Sounds like the advertising buzz words/slogans from the backs of boxes in the 90s. The experience is complete Posted Image

Blast processing too.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Nuclear Blast Processing, my friend.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I love how the free BUILD engine prequel made by a bunch of people in their spare time is going to be better than the actual commercial product.

• el fundador

It's not free!

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Is there a rough estimate for when the FPS demo will be released?

According to GOG, the prequel is going to include multiplayer.

Retro FPS: A retro-style Bombshell prequel following the events leading up to Shelly's fateful encounter with Heskel that cost her her arm, her squad, and her reputation -- and set her on the path to retribution you'll experience in Bombshell. It's built in the nostalgia-inducing Build Engine, the engine that powered Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior, and will be releasing in 2016 as a standalone Single-player / Multi-player experience.

• el fundador

It does not include multiplayer.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostTerminX, on 13 March 2016 - 08:07 PM, said:

It does not include multiplayer.

That seemed a little out of scope. Either way, I'm not fussed as I prefer singleplayer experiences.

Any ideas why 3D Realms decided to advertise features that won't be part of the game? Are they communicating those decisions to the development team? Do you guys have any say in how the game will be promoted?

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostTerminX, on 13 March 2016 - 07:17 PM, said:

It's not free!

It's still a BUILD engine game not made by Interceptor.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 13 March 2016 - 08:43 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostTerminX, on 11 March 2016 - 03:01 PM, said:

View PostTerminX, on 12 March 2016 - 02:32 PM, said:

Okay, now THIS looks really good.
It's very cohesive, and stylish, like I expected. This is what a Build FPS game would have looked like after Rides Again In Arkansas.

Only minor things tick me off: the blue tile ceiling texture in the first screenshot, looks too plain to me which makes it a little hard to see perspective for me.
Also the corners of the top of furnitures in the middle of the room are misaligned but that's nothing.

That spider-thing enemy, is its blood really supposed to be so orange-y ? Due to the colour, the blood against the wall at the right on the 2nd screenshot, at first I wasn't sure if that was part of the wall texture or not....
Although, I would indeed expect blood not being red for enemies of that kind....

And finally I think those enemies lack a little something to make them stand out, visually, from the decor, but I can't put my finger on it. I barely saw the on in the first screenshot.

The rock sprites too, on the 2nd screenshot look like they blend in a lot with the ground. Though that's likely done on purpose, it makes them look very flat.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 14 March 2016 - 12:10 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Blood is always portrayed as some kind of orange colour. Even Adam Savage did it in a recent tested video. I think it's something to do with appeasing censors/avoiding nervous-nellies from being triggered by seeing lots of authentic red.

• Honored Donor

View PostMetHy, on 14 March 2016 - 12:06 AM, said:

And finally I think those enemies lack a little something to make them stand out, visually, from the decor, but I can't put my finger on it. I barely saw the on in the first screenshot.

They somehow seem blurry/poorly defined compared to the surrounding geometry. It's like the conversion from the model is less than optimal somehow.

• el fundador

They aren't touched up yet. :whistling:

User is offline   leilei 

I'm not sure if i'm looking at software rendering

because if so those alt palettes can't be good for the alpha lookup tables/cache unless i'm misunderstanding something

This post has been edited by leilei: 14 March 2016 - 06:45 AM

User is offline   LkMax 

Just one thing on the first shot but that really bothers me, I think the ceilings need a bit of shading or at least more detail like the floor texture has. If you remove the lines that separate the "tiles" on the ceiling it would be one seamless color like what you would see on wolfenstein 3D.

Edit: Just saw MetHy commented about it, but yeah.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 14 March 2016 - 07:12 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Depending on the context of the scene, a couple things that might help, carving out a few of the tiles and having them fallen on the floor. Break it up with some greeblies/light sources or exposed pipes or something. Random tech-type stuff since it appears to be some kind of a lab.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostTea Monster, on 14 March 2016 - 12:15 AM, said:

Blood is always portrayed as some kind of orange colour. Even Adam Savage did it in a recent tested video. I think it's something to do with appeasing censors/avoiding nervous-nellies from being triggered by seeing lots of authentic red.

Yeah, but that blood there looks almost as orange as the fruit. And somehow, looking at the enemy, which remind of the Predator (movie) for some reasons, I would expect the blood to be dark purple, or maybe black or something.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

View PostMetHy, on 14 March 2016 - 07:20 AM, said:

Yeah, but that blood there looks almost as orange as the fruit.

Er...
Posted Image

Just saying. Maybe you weren't talking about an actual orange, but another fruit. Not really even close in color though.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Blood orange.

Posted Image

• Evil Overlord

:whistling:

• Honored Donor

View PostCommando Nukem, on 14 March 2016 - 07:13 AM, said:

Depending on the context of the scene, a couple things that might help, carving out a few of the tiles and having them fallen on the floor. Break it up with some greeblies/light sources or exposed pipes or something. Random tech-type stuff since it appears to be some kind of a lab.

I think the detail level is perfectly fine. The main thing is that they stay consistent. IMO it'd be much better to have more levels at a lower detail quantity than to have fewer levels with additional unnecessary details slapped around. Also, it'd be better if they pay more attention to the level design and gameplay than on fine details in every corner.

View PostLkMax, on 14 March 2016 - 07:10 AM, said:

Just one thing on the first shot but that really bothers me, I think the ceilings need a bit of shading or at least more detail like the floor texture has. If you remove the lines that separate the "tiles" on the ceiling it would be one seamless color like what you would see on wolfenstein 3D.

Edit: Just saw MetHy commented about it, but yeah.

I do agree about that texture though. It sticks out compared to all the others, in a bad way, due its extreme simplicity. But perhaps it's a placeholder??

Bombshell update

So everyone talking about the prequel, so here is an update on the ''main'' game:

The 1.1 patch is online and ready. There is a free DLC called Shellshock Missions and the game is 33% OFF. :whistling:

This post has been edited by DukeNukem64: 15 March 2016 - 12:12 PM

I'd be interested in trying a demo of 1.1, I wonder why demos aren't around as much these days. There are still some demos on steam.

• Evil Overlord

So far playing 1.1 it fixes almost every complaint I had and the rest are mostly about preference.

Share this topic:

• 53 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options