Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material - Duke4.net Forums

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostFox, on 31 August 2015 - 02:20 PM, said:

anyone who ever purchased a product from Gearbox is guilty.

I took your words to heart and am currently flogging my back with a cat o' nine tails for the heinous crime of purchasing a copy of Half-Life: Opposing Force sixteen years ago.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostAltered Reality, on 31 August 2015 - 02:37 PM, said:

The Duke Nukem IP is in way more competent hands than it was when George was at the helm of 3DRealms.

You can't be serious. About Broussard, DNF doesn't nullify everything else 3DRealms did; it's just like Daikatana doesn't mean Quake and Doom are shit by extension.
And there is no way in hell the Duke IP is in better hand with Gearbox compared to old-3DRealms or new-3Drealms. What good has Gearbox done since Opposing Forces? And Pitchford ? anyone can tell from the look of his smile alone
what kind of greedy lying capitalist he is, and this case is just another legal thievery he managed to pull.

View PostTerminX, on 31 August 2015 - 04:52 PM, said:

You can't, it was settled out of court and the terms are confidential.

Is it possible to know more anyway ? I mean, before the court, 3DR owned Duke Nukem 3D, they couldn't have been selling it if they didn't own it, right?!
And then after the court, now it belongs to Gearbox, even though afaik the case was about rights to future Duke games, not old ones... so how the fuck did that happen?

View PostX-Vector, on 01 September 2015 - 04:49 AM, said:

I took your words to heart and am currently flogging my back with a cat o' nine tails for the heinous crime of purchasing a copy of Half-Life: Opposing Force sixteen years ago.

Opposing Force is the only good game they ever released, and it's only an add-on.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by MetHy: 01 September 2015 - 05:17 AM

User is online   Lunick 

I'm going to assume that 3D Realms still has publishing rights for Duke 3D (kind of like Atari still having publishing rights for Blood).

I'm way more concerned about how this affects the HTTKC...

View PostMetHy, on 01 September 2015 - 05:17 AM, said:

and it's not even Half-Life's best add-on

Then what is the best HL1 add on?

User is online   Lunick 

View PostPikaCommando, on 01 September 2015 - 06:06 AM, said:

Half-Life Before http://store.steampo...com/app/261980/

Spoiler

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

You're playing as a Black Mesa scientist Andrew Winner

Posted Image

I still wonder how that thing got through Greenlight

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

what is the best HL1 add on?

The one that retcons all of HL out from existence.

User is offline   MetHy 

Blue Shift.

User is offline   X-Vector 

That was also developed by Gearbox.

User is offline   MetHy 

Fuck.

View PostMetHy, on 01 September 2015 - 05:17 AM, said:

About Broussard, DNF doesn't nullify everything else 3DRealms did; it's just like Daikatana doesn't mean Quake and Doom are shit by extension

It doesn't, because John Romero wasn't the boss of the company that made Doom and Quake. On the other hand, he was the boss of the company that made Daikatana.
So George Broussard was the boss of the company that made Duke3D... but that was (obviously) BEFORE the success of Duke3D would go to his head. After Duke3D, his thoughts and ideas about making a game were warped beyond repair. Maybe, pre-Duke3D George would have been able to pull DNF off... but that is an impossibility which does not belong to the domain of the real. All we can be sure of is that post-Duke3D George was absolutely incapable to coordinate the development of another game, and I prefer the Duke Nukem IP to be in the hands of a money-grubbing capitalist, than in the hands of an incompetent fool. The first possibility grants a future to the character (what kind of future, we can't say until it becomes the present), the other does not.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 01 September 2015 - 08:31 AM

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

I would play a ROTT 2 anyday 3DR.

Hope Gearbox will do a nice job with Duke. But no matter how great the game is without mod tools its a fail :D if the game blows and they do release mod tools its still success. All boils down to that and I am not the one to make assumptions I really try not to. Mod tools Gearbox please consider now.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View Post64Ghost, on 01 September 2015 - 11:05 AM, said:

Same, but i want levels that are more "open" and don't stop you from back tracking.

What about a new Blake Stone episode (or reboot, to reintroduce the character to a new generation of gamers)? I always thought it was a shame that the Blake Stone IP was not used anymore since 1994, and actually cancelled in 2002.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 01 September 2015 - 01:11 PM

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostAltered Reality, on 01 September 2015 - 01:10 PM, said:

What about a new Blake Stone episode (or reboot, to reintroduce the character to a new generation of gamers)? I always thought it was a shame that the Blake Stone IP was not used anymore since 1994, and actually cancelled in 2002.
I greatly enjoyed Blake Stone... about a month ago... again... since it came out.
Is there any reason Blake Stone couldn't be brought into the forefront as a 3D Realms kick-ass character?

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 01 September 2015 - 01:41 PM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Still my favourite from the old 3DR titles.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I said this a while back. There is nothing to stop them from doing a "Duke 3D" with any of them. Turn the 2D levels into proper 3D levels, Design some OTT critters.

I thought you could do well with Bio Menace - just as a starting point.

Hope Gearbox will do a nice job with Duke. But no matter how great the game is without mod tools its a fail :D if the game blows and they do release mod tools its still success. All boils down to that and I am not the one to make assumptions I really try not to. Mod tools Gearbox please consider now.

You guys are assuming just because DNF didn't come with mod tools future versions of the game won't as well. I've worked on games with editors that are shit, it happens, and I can promise you no one would want to touch a editor that crashes every 10 seconds. The cost benefit of fixing the DNF tools obviously wasn't worth it, we don't know if anyone actually tried to fix the editor. It could be one or more senior level engineers went in to look at it, figured out the problem, and said no way in hell are fixing this before or after ship.

People tend to do bad things to Unreal engine games, and I can only imagine how fucked up the DNF codebase really is.

I can see Gearbox releasing tools for there next Duke title, especially if it's a UE4 title.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 01 September 2015 - 03:43 PM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View Posticecoldduke, on 01 September 2015 - 03:34 PM, said:

You guys are assuming just because DNF didn't come with mod tools future versions of the game won't as well. I've worked on games with editors that are shit, it happens, and I can promise you no one would want to touch a editor that crashes every 10 seconds. The cost benefit of fixing the DNF tools obviously wasn't worth it, we don't know if anyone actually tried to fix the editor. It could be one or more senior level engineers went in to look at it, figured out the problem, and said no way in hell are fixing this before or after ship.

People tend to do bad things to Unreal engine games, and I can only imagine how fucked up the DNF codebase really is.

I can see Gearbox releasing tools for there next Duke title, especially if it's a UE4 title.

The difference is that a promise was made by Randy Glitchford. Generally if a promise is made, one would expect that the scenario that you describe above with the engineers has already happened and already been addressed. Or do people simply lack the ethics to actually fulfill a promise nowadays?

This post has been edited by Spastic Lagomorph: 01 September 2015 - 04:06 PM

View Posticecoldduke, on 01 September 2015 - 03:34 PM, said:

Has Gearbox ever released mod tools for anything they made? Because, if they haven't i think its safe to say that they never will.

Also, besides that i'm getting the strange feeling that Gearbox really doesn't care about Duke Nukem as they want outside help to get a new game. Which is what they did with Colonial Marines and we all know how that turned out.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

They made the PC port of Halo and released the Custom Edition with mod tools.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 01 September 2015 - 04:37 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

If it raises everyone's spirits, there is still cool stuff to see from other Apogee games.

http://joe.siegler.n...argunner-music/

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get these builds to run, no thanks to the ÆGIS parallel port dongle.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostSpastic Lagomorph, on 01 September 2015 - 04:05 PM, said:

The difference is that a promise was made by Randy Glitchford. Generally if a promise is made, one would expect that the scenario that you describe above with the engineers has already happened and already been addressed. Or do people simply lack the ethics to actually fulfill a promise nowadays?

Promises made by big company speakers are not thought by them, but rather they come from the marketing department. In other words, it's no different from a TV commercial. If you are willing to believe they will fulfill their promises, good look.

View PostAltered Reality, on 31 August 2015 - 05:42 PM, said:

I mean funding lawsuits to make sure that THERE WILL BE Duke titles in the future.

Gearbox owns the Duke IP to make sure no game will ever be released.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostAltered Reality, on 01 September 2015 - 01:10 PM, said:

View PostTea Monster, on 01 September 2015 - 02:48 PM, said:

I said this a while back. There is nothing to stop them from doing a "Duke 3D" with any of them. Turn the 2D levels into proper 3D levels, Design some OTT critters.

I thought you could do well with Bio Menace - just as a starting point.

Halloween Harry 3D would be awesome in my opinion. However, the IP is not owned by Apogee/3DR, is it?

I would also appreciate a Blake Stone game in the Build engine, be it with original or updated assets.

What levels do you guys think from Lameduke could be better if worked on more? Aside from the Derelict prototype, obviously.

View PostSpastic Lagomorph, on 01 September 2015 - 04:05 PM, said:

Let me paint a picture for you, you are Randy you just acquire the DNF ip and game, how excited are you? Could you say Randy is excited enough to say "the sky's the limit" in terms of what he's going to do with DNF? It happens, promises are made before reality sets in, look at what happened with the duke betas? This type of thing happens in the industry all the time, which is why most companies don't start the hype until they know they can deliver.

View PostReaperMan, on 01 September 2015 - 04:21 PM, said:

Has Gearbox ever released mod tools for anything they made? Because, if they haven't i think its safe to say that they never will.

Also, besides that i'm getting the strange feeling that Gearbox really doesn't care about Duke Nukem as they want outside help to get a new game. Which is what they did with Colonial Marines and we all know how that turned out.

For those of us that work in the industry, we know people are focused on one thing during development and that's getting the game to ship. Mod tools are the last thing on dev's minds. Randy cares about the Duke IP, he wants to make money off of it. If he thinks the mod tools will get him a better return on the product he will assign some engineers and a producer to make it happen. Engineers cost money, lets say it takes 10 engineers 6 months to make the dev tool ready for release. On average if they are all senior engineers they are making $100,000 a year(even if there salary is less, with benefits it costs the company about that much). That means to get the mod tools released it would cost gearbox $300,000 to get the mod tools ready for public release. We all know console sku's sell more units then the pc sku, so what is the cost benefit of getting the tools prepped for release? About 7,000 PC units(you have to adjust for how much steam takes out the overall profit), which might not sound like a lot, but people just aren't buying PC games like the used to(or they pirate it).

You guys have to look at the business side of things :D, not everything in this world is a CEO trying to stick it to consumers.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 02 September 2015 - 08:00 AM

View Posticecoldduke, on 02 September 2015 - 07:45 AM, said:

You guys have to look at the business side of things :D, not everything in this world is a CEO trying to stick it to consumers.

Yet they always stick it to the consumers because they are only concerned with money. They also never take risks to innovate game-play anymore because they are concerned with money, thats why we are stuck with games like Call of duty and Madden.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 02 September 2015 - 08:05 AM

I'm surprised on how many people are blaming gearbox for lack of dnf tools. 3drealms fucked up the DNF codebase, they fucked up the editor why isn't anyone screaming at George :D.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 02 September 2015 - 08:16 AM

Share this topic:

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options