• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Build engine games general

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostSkulldog, on 06 November 2014 - 01:46 PM, said:

Nam has been released on steam.
http://store.steampo...com/app/329650/

What the hell? I would never have expected this.

I wouldn't want someone to buy this on my behalf, but if someone does buy it, please post here to describe what it uses (DOSBox vs. EDuke32) and assist me in adding it to the registry entries we scan.

It looks like DOSBox, since the trailer appears to be scaled 320x200.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostHendricks266, on 06 November 2014 - 02:24 PM, said:

but if someone does buy it

God help them if they do. My God... You'll feel like you LIVED NAM if you try to beat that fucking game... Holy crap.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I don't know very much about Nam and WW2 GI. I take it they're bad and/or extremely difficult games?

Some of the areas look kind of nice. But I take it there's a reason they're only showing 1 second clips of gameplay in the trailer...

This post has been edited by Micky C: 06 November 2014 - 09:53 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostMicky C, on 06 November 2014 - 09:52 PM, said:

I don't know very much about Nam and WW2 GI. I take it they're bad and/or extremely difficult games?

Some of the areas look kind of nice. But I take it there's a reason they're only showing 1 second clips of gameplay in the trailer...

There are some really nasty parts where you have to slowly creep through jungle areas, avoiding tripwires, landmines, and well hidden enemy snipers that you can't really shoot back at.

• Judge Mental

Imagine if every enemy in Duke3D used hitscan weapons with very high damage rates. Now, also imagine there is garbage covering the floor of a lot of the maps. Now, further imagine within that garbage there are land mines. Yeah.

You're gonna die. A lot. The cheap kind of deaths.

I get it, too. I really do. It's trying to emulate the feeling of being in the war scenario, but I honestly think they needed to rebalance the levels a bit. Go easy on the player at first, let them get the feel for how the game is gonna play, and then start introducing the tough-as-shit booby traps. Though I also don't think it's just that they throw a lot of mines and trip wires at you. It's just that they're so hard to detect until you're right on top of them.

When I was a kid and I found WW2 GI I really tortured myself to get through the first episode. It's not nearly as bad as NAM is though, in that regard. It's a damn shame too because they predate most of the early ought war-fetish games. The concept is sound, clearly.

The super soldier thing that STEAM page references though... I never knew that was part of the plot. I just thought you were some NAM Grunt going around blasting Viet Cong... Huh. Posted Image

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 06 November 2014 - 09:13 PM, said:

God help them if they do. My God... You'll feel like you LIVED NAM if you try to beat that fucking game... Holy crap.

I bought it for him :)

I played NAM expecting to be fucked as hard as the designer could.

I wound up defeated yet satisfied far better than the "Penthouse" people left me.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

I remember when i beat NAM, that's how i mastered the art of saving often.

User is offline   MetHy 

I never played NAM or WW2 GI. I guess this could be a good opportunity...

• Judge Mental

View PostReaperMan, on 06 November 2014 - 10:58 PM, said:

Saigon.... I can't believe i'm back in Saigon....

View PostMetHy, on 07 November 2014 - 07:17 AM, said:

I never played NAM or WW2 GI. I guess this could be a good opportunity...

Ain't War Hell?

User is offline   MrFlibble 

There's a quite enjoyable custom episode for NAM called Tour of Duty III (can't find the official site right now though). I don't remember which version of this add-on is nicer, the one for NAM or the one for the Platoon TC.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 07 November 2014 - 01:13 PM

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

Here's Ford's Site, Platoon / NAM / WWIIGI I believe it has TODIII

http://trillian.bbs42.com/ford/

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostReaperMan, on 06 November 2014 - 10:58 PM, said:

I were so shitty at playing DN3D when I first time play NAM, I just cheated with God mode from beginning to the end...:)
And the on my second playthrough I did not cheat but that was hell of "saving&loading" for sure...

Well, you know...at least NAM isn't hard as Lot7P...
And someone said want to buy that one...what the hell?

User is offline   hex 

Does NAM work well on Eduke32 ??

• Weaponized Autism

View Posthex, on 14 November 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Does NAM work well on Eduke32 ??

Absolutely. Single player works perfectly. (Multiplayer is incomplete just like Duke's.)

User is offline   supergoofy 

If I remember there are 2 versions of NAM :

NAM and Napalm

with Napalm to be an updated version ?

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostLunick, on 06 November 2014 - 10:10 PM, said:

I bought it for him :)

I wanted to do it :woot:

Bought this as soon as I saw Skulldog's post here. I love the game.

• Weaponized Autism

View Postsupergoofy, on 17 November 2014 - 12:21 AM, said:

If I remember there are 2 versions of NAM :

NAM and Napalm

with Napalm to be an updated version ?

I believe NAPALM is just the Wal-Mart parental lock version. I'll have to run the two through Delta when I get to work on that.

User is offline   MetHy 

NAM is on sale on Steam. 1€74.

• Weaponized Autism

http://steamcommunit...948093875292254

It seems like Night Dive was interested in using EDuke32 instead of DOSBox, but we haven't heard back from them...

People have found a weird bug in Blood. Seems that, after you reload a save, the enemies' damage rating seems to change. In the easiest difficulties, the damage done to the player is drastically increased after a reload, which makes them more difficult than higher settings. Lightly Broiled and Well Done are unaffected, and Extra Crispy becomes easier.

Thread on GOG: http://www.gog.com/f...ave_files/page1

User is offline   MetHy 

Yeah that's a well known bug. Not really an issue to me since I play on Well Done (at least 95% of the time).

Though that's something that would be a welcome fix in a Blood
Spoiler

This post has been edited by MetHy: 04 April 2015 - 07:28 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

I just tried out Redneck Rampage: Deer Hunting and NAM for the first time.

Deer Hunting is kinda weird. I can't tell if it's a great hunting simulator or if it's a crappy and cheap Redneck Rampage cash-in.
It has some really cool stuff, like the realism. For instance all weapons are holstered unless you press the key to aim, you can't aim and walk at the same time, there is a compass, you can only carry one gun, change bullet type, and you have to reload too, a lot. For a Build era FPS, all this realism is almost impressive.

The controls are weird and you can't change them in setup, at all. In the cfg you can only change a part of them, and half of what's important can't be changed.
I can't tell if they were just lazy and didn't bother or if it's to increase realism. After all, the other RR games didn't have those controls at all (and you could change them) and here it's not just point&cilck like in other FPS, you have to do some effort in order to aim and shoot, just like in real life, wooh!

The game also has some cool looking nature environments. There is a snow level with falling snow.
Oh and one of the rifles has a working zoom-in scope which is a really cool effect too

Posted Image

Now what makes me think they were lazy is that you can only choose between two resolutions: 640*480 and 800*600. It's kinda hard to make things out at a distance with these resolutions, and the scope makes things even more blurry. Now in other RR games you could go up to 1600*1200.... I tried manually setting that res and it looked wonderful... except that the hud, the weapons and all the "invisible" part of the weapons sprites would flicker, a lot, constantly (and using DOSBOX MB6 didn't fix this).
I wish they had fixed this or had bothered to make higher res work; because manually setting a res in between 800*600 and 1600*1200 will also make the zoom-in scope glitch. So you're stuck with 800*600 either way, unless you don't use the rifle with scope which is simply put the best weapon.

The game goes all the way to the "hunting simulation" thing. There is no pre-set goal or way to the end a level except your own goals. It's just go around until you're sick of it. Depending on whether or not this is your thing you may quit very quickly, as the appearance of animals seem very random. At one point I saw 3 ducks at the same time (and killed them), but you'll be spending most of your time walking around, slowly, alone, and wondering if that thing is the distance is a duck or a rock. You can also use "scents", "decoys" and whistles that iminate the sound of every animal you can find, but their effectiveness remains to be proven.

Posted Image

There is also 2 timed shooting range which are the closest thing to a classic FPS you'll find.

I think the game is definitely worth a try and a few plays, at least for Build curiosity alone; but it's probably not for everyone.

As for Nam, I've played 1 level and a half and I'm really enjoying it so far.
It's hard and unfair in a way (but well, it's war you know) but there are also tons of cool effects (like airstrikes or Half-Life style soldiers which can follow you, heal you, etc) and cool environments.
Often it really feels like enemies can see you from miles away but you can barely see them... just like the real war, I guess.
The game does very feel cheap at how close it is to DN3D though, especially some of the re-used textures and sprites and some of the way too obvious Duke sprite edits.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 31 July 2015 - 07:30 AM

View PostMetHy, on 31 July 2015 - 07:21 AM, said:

The game does very feel cheap at how close it is to DN3D though, especially some of the re-used textures and sprites and some of the way too obvious Duke sprite edits.

Have you tried the Platoon TC? I'm not sure if I actually like it more than NAM.

User is offline   MetHy 

Yeah I played Platoon TC several times in the past. I actually enjoyed it a lot, but my expectations of a free mod and a standalone game would be different. I'd say Platoon TC is less challenging and unfair but so far it seems that NAM has more to offer.

i've also played Team TNT's Doom stuff obviously.

I'd like to play every Build game ever, so I'll probably give WW2 GI a try as well. Now, Witchaven 1 and 2, that doesn't seem to be my type of game at all... and I doubt there is any more Build gem still to be discovered for me after I've played Rides Again and Exhumed.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

They're two different teams, Team TNT and TNT Team, go figure.

User is offline   MetHy 

Damn, I always thought they were one and the same. Now I'm confused who did what.
So Team TNT = Doom and TNT Team = Duke.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 01 August 2015 - 10:15 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Well I just completed NAM.

Honestly? It was fun. I enjoyed it quite a lot, more than I had expected. Environments are surpringsly varied and good looking (some of the best forests i've seen in Build), you've got to make smart use of your weapon (even though the "pistol" replacement is still the most OP most of the time due to auto aim and open environments...), there are some nice effects like being able to tell the medic and radio guy to follow you or not and have the medic heal you (and people praised Op Forces for that), sometimes you get different kind of mission and goals to spice things up, etc

I also like how levels are designed and how you're very often given several directions to go at the same time, and several ways to go through a fighting point.

Sure the game's kinda cheap. On the edges, it's a cardboard FPS, which is kind of a shame because only the edges are cheap, and only a bit more work on a few small things and on presentation would make it seem a lot better.
And you're going to die, a lot, and save, a lot, too. But for 97cents ? Totally worth it as a piece of Build history.

For some reasons in-game screenshots wouldn't work, and all I got was Bandicam taking screenshots with weird colours, but here we go....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by MetHy: 02 August 2015 - 07:00 AM

Have you tried Gruntmatch (or what the MP mode is called) with bots? That's a lot of fun on its own (some MP maps are ported from Platoon nearly without any changes IIRC), and the map design is really nice (both aesthetically and how they play).

User is offline   MetHy 

I was just fucking around with Dosbox and Build games, and by accident I found out some absolutely crazy shit regarding Exhumed.

Okay, remember earlier ITT we talked about "fast" strafing? Or maybe it was in another thread but anyway : use capslock as a mean to force auto-running, and while auto-running, use "strafe key" + "left/right key" to strafe, and this will give fast strafing.
Well at least, that trick would give strafing that seems close to normal speed, because the original strafing of the game is super slow.

Well now, if you use that trick, but instead of pressing the "left/right" keys you use "mouse moving" (move the mouse in the left direction to strafe left, for instance ), this will give you an INSANELY fast strafing. Like, you go through the room in less than a second. It almost feels like teleporting. It's absolutely crazy.

Plus this means you can perform some REALLY long jumps as well.

Now the thing is, you're going so fast it's very hard to control; but I'm just thinking of the potential here, the potential for speedrunning or for Deathmatch is insane. Once this trick and the maps mastered one could go through levels at the speed of light, and there are probably tons of sequence breaking to achieve with long jumps too.

Too bad nobody cares enough about this game to make a speedrun. Not even myself, and I must be one of the biggest fans of this game left on earth.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 03 August 2015 - 09:03 AM

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options