Duke4.net Forums: Build engine games general - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Build engine games general

User is offline   Drek 

View PostHendricks266, on 04 August 2017 - 10:22 PM, said:

EDuke32 can build KenBuild, type `make kenbuild`. Unfortunately there is no sound support because I wasn't about to add fmod and KenBuild is rock bottom priority. It was just an exercise for Shadow Warrior.

I've got half a mind to replace fmod with openal. It'll be my first time dealing with any sound library so I'm interested to see what all is going on here. And it's a good corner for me to fuck around in without stepping on any toes, seeing as it's rock bottom priority.

This post has been edited by Drek: 05 August 2017 - 09:14 AM

User is online   Hendricks266 

• EDuke32 Senior Developer

I noticed the build was broken due to some recent changes but it was a snappy fix and it should be coming soon to a push near you.

If you're working from EDuke32's codebase, we will not accept any patches that link us to sound processing middleware. All forks should be made either as a proof of concept (not attempting to gain a userbase) or both under our direction and with intent to merge, to not be considered hostile. I would gladly accept a patch that gets it working with just SDL's sound API (not SDL_mixer). For music, you would need to port in the KDM player from LAB3D (which is under a license textually identical to BUILDLIC). The hard parts for a beginner would be the math to do per-channel 3D positional volume adjustment for the sounds, loading the file formats, and messing with the build system. I would gladly answer any questions you have, should this interest you.

User is offline   Drek 

Yeah, that sounds good. As of now all of the ekenbuild.exe's I've been able to compile just crash at start-up (after screen res menu, with a quick flicker of a window opening.)

User is offline   Drek 

Since that fix I can now compile ekenbuild out of the box, but it still doesn't run for me. Testgame.log just stops at loading the texture cache.

User is online   Hendricks266 

• EDuke32 Senior Developer

Let me walk you through how I would find the solution.

Get into position like you're going to compile ekenbuild. `make kenbuild RELEASE=0`. Then from the same command window, move the exe into position and chdir to the same folder.

Run the following: `gdb ekenbuild.exe`

Type `r` and hit enter.

If GDB says anything about a signal or an exception, very good. Issue the `bt` command to get a backtrace and paste it here.

If it says something about "Program exited", then we'll have to hunt further. With a RELEASE=0 build, the log file should say something about exit() being called and a source file and line number. If not, hard mode:

Back at the GDB prompt, type `b exit` to set a breakpoint at the exit function. Run with `r`. Once the breakpoint on exit() is hit, type `bt` for a backtrace and paste it here.

Run `q` to quit.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Yes, our forum uses cookies. © 2017 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options