• 159 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostMorpheus Kitami, on 20 April 2022 - 08:09 PM, said:

Huh, guess it was remastered at some point...but wait, Myk Friedman...is that...? The Isle of the Dead artist. What the fuck.

Wait, for real?

User is offline   MObreck 

View PostMorpheus Kitami, on 20 April 2022 - 08:09 PM, said:

So hang on, there were multiple attempts at making a Simpsons mod for Doom? I thought there was only one, and that one was known for being made from legit scanned drawings, sort of like how the show was actually made.
Looked it up on the Doom wiki...
https://doomwiki.org...e_Simpsons_Doom
Huh, guess it was remastered at some point...but wait, Myk Friedman...is that...? The Isle of the Dead artist. What the fuck.

Yes, the original in the video I posted was released in the mid 90s. The same team that did the original also released a mod based on the Tick cartoon:

In both mods the SS Nazi was replaced by Shaggy. No relation to any memes about the character.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostMObreck, on 11 April 2022 - 12:41 AM, said:

Warning: The sound effects can get a bit obnoxious. That was actually a pretty common trend for DOOM mods created back then:

Having played Simpsons and Barney Doom, I think this gets filed under "It's a feature not a bug" :D

View PostMObreck, on 11 April 2022 - 12:41 AM, said:

Unfortunately Viacom got their copyright panties in a bunch and shut this mod down. The ByteBrother disappeared from DOOM modding shortly after. It has pretty much vanished from the internet since then. But with some searching I managed to find copy so I thought I'd showcase this forgotten piece of DOOM history.

That's ridiculous and sad that Viacom would go after them like that.

View PostTea Monster, on 21 April 2022 - 12:21 AM, said:

That's ridiculous and sad that Viacom would go after them like that.

But consistent with their behavior.

Good to know that they were just as bunch of asshats then as they are now.

Looks like Extermination Day is finally going to be finished. Even if I'm not a fan of how Mark handled the Tormentor situation, I do still separate the work from the artist and in this case I do still love Brutal Doom, and I have been waiting for ages to see EDay finished.

View PostNinety-Six, on 20 April 2022 - 08:14 PM, said:

Wait, for real?

I'm like 90% sure, since it seems to be the same animation style. (The remake, not the original, seems to clash a bit between the two styles, but eh) I can't be entirely certain because searching for his name on Doomworld and Zdoom forums gets me a moderator who definitely isn't him. I do know for certain that Friedman did web animation afterwards, as confirmed by a post on his Tumblr back when he was still alive. I find this new information (I knew the rest of this beforehand) somewhat amusing. From making knockoffs to making mods, what will I find out next of his career?

User is offline   MObreck 

I've been working on expanding Impie's formerly scrapped sequel to Arkista's Ring. Managed to get the rough draft of my first stage done. Its an underwater fortress style stage:

Impie completed 3 areas before shelving the project. Being his prequel was only 7 stages things are off to a go start. Its been fun seeing what I can do with ZScript, as well as the GZDoom map and shader systems.

This post has been edited by MObreck: 22 April 2022 - 05:06 PM

View PostNinety-Six, on 27 March 2022 - 08:09 AM, said:

my favorite part about that particular aspect is that they accuse the build community of putting visuals before gameplay, and yet every single write-up is 90% fellating the author for their visuals, and maybe a sentence about how it plays...

I recently played B.P.R.D.'s Grove, and it honestly has to be the absolute pinnacle of this.

There's nothing fun about the map. It's basically a glorified switch hunt ("""Myst-like puzzle level""" my fucking ass) in a map so chock-full of tree sprites it makes Zaxtor's rainforests look like a garden.

Attached Image: DOOM0003.png Attached Image: DOOM0004.pngAttached Image: DOOM0008.png

The map is completely dark throughout, and in software mode the framerate tanks because of the number of tree sprites.
You're forced to find almost invisible switches and have nearly no ammo to deal with anything. In particular, there's a mandatory switch that's attached to a tiny step inside a cave that you will never find without opening the level editor.
You will spend an extensive period aimlessly walking back and forth in a relatively small map with no idea where to go. Truly the absolute pinnacle of an experience.

But it's got an orange sky so it's mysterious and atmospheric!!!11

Nothing better exemplifies how unbelievably pretentious the Doom community is than the fact that this won a Cacoward in 2004, got listed as the 97th "most memorable map" in 25 Years of Doom, and still gets praise today, such as in mtpain27's recent videos.

Yet to anyone who isn't completely high off his own farts, this map seems like a jokewad.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 28 April 2022 - 05:33 PM

View PostDoom64hunter, on 28 April 2022 - 05:31 PM, said:

Yet to anyone who isn't completely high off his own farts, this map seems like a jokewad.

Incidentally, wasn't BPRD also behind the Nuts series of jokewads?

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View PostNinety-Six, on 28 April 2022 - 06:47 PM, said:

Incidentally, wasn't BPRD also behind the Nuts series of jokewads?

Yes. But Nuts.wad was never meant to be anything more than an experiment. It was just made by the author to experiment how to upload a wad to idgames archive though the FTP. He did that so that he could correctly upload Equinox (his actual serious wad) to idgames.

But as fate would have it, his Nuts.wad would become far far more popular than his serious wad. And thus, he ended up also making Nuts 2 and 3.

Also:

Nothing better exemplifies how unbelievably pretentious the Doom community is than the fact that this won a Cacoward in 2004, got listed as the 97th "most memorable map" in 25 Years of Doom, and still gets praise today, such as in mtpain27's recent videos.

While I am not going to comment about Grove (as I haven't played it), I will say that even among the Doom community, his maps are divisive. Fans of his maps as they are very distinct and atmospheric (especially groove) while those who don't like his maps say that the gameplay is really weak. So your take will hardly be considered a hot take, even in the Doom community.

Also, while the map was designed for ZDoom, I don't think it uses any of ZDoom's features and so may also run on stuff like DSDA-Doom (its a fork of PrBoom+) while providing a much better framerate

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 29 April 2022 - 05:38 AM

I recently played B.P.R.D.'s Grove, and it honestly has to be the absolute pinnacle of this.

There's nothing fun about the map....Yet to anyone who isn't completely high off his own farts, this map seems like a jokewad.

Man I'm glad to hear someone else share my feelings on this one. It looks cool and sucks otherwise. The whole reason for the darkness was so you could see the outline of the trees in silhouette against the sky. Great reason to sacrifice visibility and gameplay.

The only thing i liked about it was the chaingunner you can't see but whose leaf-crunching gives away his location. That was neat.

In other news:

User is offline   jkas789 

View PostMObreck, on 22 April 2022 - 05:05 PM, said:

I've been working on expanding Impie's formerly scrapped sequel to Arkista's Ring. Managed to get the rough draft of my first stage done. Its an underwater fortress style stage:

Impie completed 3 areas before shelving the project. Being his prequel was only 7 stages things are off to a go start. Its been fun seeing what I can do with ZScript, as well as the GZDoom map and shader systems.

Oooh, interesting. I will be keeping a eye on this one mate.

Btw @Impie Those chickens look absolutely adorable dude!

About Grove I can't really comment. I played it once but my taco fueled brain was incapable of figuring it out, so I dropped it and went to play something else. Unless your name is Portal, puzzle games and I don't really mesh that well.

View Postjkas789, on 30 April 2022 - 07:14 AM, said:

About Grove I can't really comment. I played it once but my taco fueled brain was incapable of figuring it out, so I dropped it and went to play something else. Unless your name is Portal, puzzle games and I don't really mesh that well.

Trust me, it wasn't you that was the problem.

The cutscenes have stepped up a bit.

Surprisingly I got them to work on the first try. Usually anything i try to do in Doom likes to fight me tooth and claw before it finally works.

Got enough of Dinah 3 done to showcase the new environments I'm gonna include. Still a work in progress, but I'm pretty happy with how the story is turning out, with Dinah trying to rescue her mom's soul from a terrible afterlife.

This post has been edited by ImpieTheThird: 09 May 2022 - 04:54 PM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Found in the Doomworld forum that Romero is about to publish his autobiography in January. He can remember even little details of his life due to a medical condition (hyperthymesia), so expect things to be thoroughly described. I guess we can expect some kind of "Masters of Doom" from Romero's perspective, so this might be worth your time and money if you are interested in Doom background stuff.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 09 May 2022 - 09:35 PM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I've always appreciated that Romero is not only a talented map designer, but can also describe his design principles and the way he works on the maps in a clear, accessible fashion. Being able to clearly express oneself is a talent too, so I expect this to be an interesting and valuable read indeed!

View PostMrFlibble, on 10 May 2022 - 03:51 AM, said:

I've always appreciated that Romero is not only a talented map designer, but can also describe his design principles and the way he works on the maps in a clear, accessible fashion. Being able to clearly express oneself is a talent too, so I expect this to be an interesting and valuable read indeed!

I second this. That the guy who spearheaded one of the greatest and most influential games of all time can articulate how he went about it is invaluable to other game designers.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostNightFright, on 09 May 2022 - 09:34 PM, said:

Found in the Doomworld forum that Romero is about to publish his autobiography in January. He can remember even little details of his life due to a medical condition (hyperthymesia), so expect things to be thoroughly described. I guess we can expect some kind of "Masters of Doom" from Romero's perspective, so this might be worth your time and money if you are interested in Doom background stuff.

It should be noted that hyperthymesia is an extremely rare condition that is medically described as severe OCD in the brain and is incredibly destructive. There are only 60 confirmed cases in the world. Pretty sure Romero is exaggerating there.

View PostImpieTheThird, on 09 May 2022 - 04:54 PM, said:

Got enough of Dinah 3 done to showcase the new environments I'm gonna include. Still a work in progress, but I'm pretty happy with how the story is turning out, with Dinah trying to rescue her mom's soul from a terrible afterlife.

Oh God damn it, that looks so good. I really need to finish Appetite for Detention. It's just that between people getting a machete to their arms/legs or getting shot I just can't seem to get a break from the hospital.

View Postjkas789, on 12 May 2022 - 06:58 PM, said:

Oh God damn it, that looks so good. I really need to finish Appetite for Detention. It's just that between people getting a machete to their arms/legs or getting shot I just can't seem to get a break from the hospital.

Goddamn I don't envy your job. I see gruesome enough shit in the veterinary field.

My curiosity got the better of me and I decided to spin up TNTD's beta just to toy around with.

And wow, I amazed. At how they completely ballsed up what should have been a simple story.

Doom plots can be many things. They can even be stupid. But what they should never be is confusing. I went down an absolute rabbit hole trying to find answers to questions, only to find more questions with the first questions never being addressed.

In a Doom plot the player should never have to ask, "where am I" or "what am I doing" or "when did that happen?!". Especially not one that aims to be the official sequel to an IWAD.

I can already see the main counterpoints. It's a beta. It's Doom who cares about the plot.

Well, to that first point I don't see anyone else bringing up how nonsensical the plot is. And to the second, well, why even call it the sequel to TNT then? They're not trying to emulate TNT at all in terms of gameplay or visuals, so the only connecting thread would be the plot. So if the plot doesn't matter, then this wad has literally nothing to do with TNT and should just drop the name.

I wouldn't even be posting about this, but I like TNT, and if this is supposed to be the "better" sequel vs. Revilution (which also had problems but I can at least say I was never completely lost on what was happening), then it's doing a really bad job of showing it so far. A dumb plot is one thing. A nonsense plot is another.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 14 May 2022 - 07:59 AM

Question. Are there any doom user maps or gameplay mods that give a nice stealth experience in Doom? I'm asking because I have been on MGS Peace Walker bender lately on my PS Vita in my breaks. I know that Metal Gear Doom existed (and in fact you can grab I believe version 4.0 here ) however that is dead now and aside from more MGS V, 3 and PW I have nothing else my tactical espionage/action itch.

Any recommendations or advice on how to build this up would be greatly appreciated folks.

On another news I finally had the time to play Appetite for Detention yesterday and man that was so damn fun. Good job Impie!

View PostNinety-Six, on 14 May 2022 - 07:47 AM, said:

I can already see the main counterpoints. It's a beta. It's Doom who cares about the plot.

Well, to that first point I don't see anyone else bringing up how nonsensical the plot is. And to the second, well, why even call it the sequel to TNT then? They're not trying to emulate TNT at all in terms of gameplay or visuals, so the only connecting thread would be the plot. So if the plot doesn't matter, then this wad has literally nothing to do with TNT and should just drop the name.

I think you are just nitpicking here now :P. The original TNT didn't have a great plot either and I don't see how Devilution's plot is more confusing or nonsense than it either (well apart from map30, but the author's comment about the plot of the map made things clear). The maps might not be exactly like original TNT, but neither did Revilution. I feel that Devilution's maps are arguably somewhat more TNT-ish in their visuals and feel than Revilution.

View PostNinety-Six, on 14 May 2022 - 07:47 AM, said:

if this is supposed to be the "better" sequel vs. Revilution (which also had problems but I can at least say I was never completely lost on what was happening), then it's doing a really bad job of showing it so far. A dumb plot is one thing. A nonsense plot is another.

It's not necessarily supposed to be the "better" sequel tho. It is just an alternate sequel. Whether one likes Devilution more or Revilution is down to preference. I like Revilution, but I think I might take Devilution over it once the beta issues are ironed out and map26 is released.

View PostReaperAA, on 16 May 2022 - 10:59 PM, said:

I think you are just nitpicking here now :P. The original TNT didn't have a great plot either and I don't see how Devilution's plot is more confusing or nonsense than it either

For starters, if you removed almost the entirety of episode 2 (Maps 13-19), the plot would make more sense.

Normally I would call this nitpicking, but as I said, a player should never be left confused. The original TNT's plot was extremely basic, sure, and that's fine, because the plot was "you're pissed off, go get revenge." Nothing confusing about that, nor where you are. You just go from building to building on this distant starbase until Hell starts taking over the moon. Simple.

Except TNT:D seems to think it should complicate the plot and introduce insane concepts like time travel and whatever the hell is going on in Map30, which would also be fine if it made any sort of sense?

Spoiler

This would be all nitpicking if it wasn't actually distracting. When an entire episode feels like a waste of time as you just seem to derp around completely disconnected from what you're supposed to be doing, there's a big problem.

It genuinely feels like this plot is incredibly slapdash, more slapdash than TNT:R's which is a feat since that whole final release was actually slapdashed, while this had years to be developed.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 17 May 2022 - 01:13 AM

I gotta be honest, you're best off ignoring story on anything that says "vanilla-compatible" or "boom-compatible".

These megawads are almost always focused around the gameplay and not the story experience.
If you want the latter to play a greater role (or even make any sense) you need to look towards ZDoom mods.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 17 May 2022 - 01:43 AM

View PostDoom64hunter, on 17 May 2022 - 01:42 AM, said:

I gotta be honest, you're best off ignoring story on anything that says "vanilla-compatible" or "boom-compatible".

I've seen plenty of vanilla and boom wads that make sense. For crissake the Plutonia sequels make sense.

I'm not asking for shakespeare, here. The bare minimum is making sure the player doesn't have to ask where the hell they even are at the most basic level. Which TNTD fails at.

Like I said, a basic story, or a stupid story are one thing. Nonsense plots are another. And I wouldn't even bother thinking about it if they weren't calling it TNT 2.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 17 May 2022 - 02:38 AM

View PostNinety-Six, on 17 May 2022 - 01:10 AM, said:

For starters, if you removed almost the entirety of episode 2 (Maps 13-19), the plot would make more sense.

Normally I would call this nitpicking, but as I said, a player should never be left confused. The original TNT's plot was extremely basic, sure, and that's fine, because the plot was "you're pissed off, go get revenge." Nothing confusing about that, nor where you are. You just go from building to building on this distant starbase until Hell starts taking over the moon. Simple.

Except TNT:D seems to think it should complicate the plot and introduce insane concepts like time travel and whatever the hell is going on in Map30, which would also be fine if it made any sort of sense?

Spoiler

This would be all nitpicking if it wasn't actually distracting. When an entire episode feels like a waste of time as you just seem to derp around completely disconnected from what you're supposed to be doing, there's a big problem.

It genuinely feels like this plot is incredibly slapdash, more slapdash than TNT:R's which is a feat since that whole final release was actually slapdashed, while this had years to be developed.

While I am not a dev for the project, I think I can still try to answer some of your questions from what I understood:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 17 May 2022 - 03:03 AM

View PostReaperAA, on 17 May 2022 - 03:01 AM, said:

While I am not a dev for the project, I think I can still try to answer some of your questions from what I understood:

Spoiler

Spoiler

View PostNinety-Six, on 17 May 2022 - 04:50 AM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 17 May 2022 - 05:47 AM

Share this topic:

• 159 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options