• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostReaperAA, on 17 May 2022 - 05:46 AM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm honestly hoping someone mentions this to the devs. Just make the text screens clearer. At least Episode 2's. I can tolerate the other stuff, but literally having no idea what the actual crap is happening during Map13-Map19, where we are or what we're actually doing there, that's a really big problem...

View PostReaperAA, on 17 May 2022 - 05:46 AM, said:

Spoiler

Well, I thank you for asking the devs. And that other guy who replied to you brought up some good questions too that I didn't even think of, particularly his third question. Now that one bothers me too.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Voxelized Cyberdemon by Chillo:
https://twitter.com/...603841607831552

That guy is just insane.

User is offline   Malgon 

That is seriously impressive!

User is offline   jkas789 

Interesting video about the (allegedly) first slaughter map ever.

Apparently this maker is a character. Never heard of him before, though.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostMalgon, on 28 May 2022 - 06:44 PM, said:

That is seriously impressive!

The exact same response I wanted to say here. That is seriously impressive.

Uploaded the soundtrack to Day of the Toys. White Bad Audio makes pretty dope music and has a youtube channel (link in description).

Attached Image: Screenshot_Doom_20220612_030136.png
why is this as fun as it is

• The Truth is in here

UV with 2x dmg received and 0.5x ammo? Doesn't sound like fun to me, but a lot of quickload spamming...

View PostNightFright, on 12 June 2022 - 01:45 PM, said:

UV with 2x dmg received and 0.5x ammo? Doesn't sound like fun to me, but a lot of quickload spamming...

That's not it at all. That was how Wolfendoom's z-ports worked I think but not here.

What it actually does is spawn double the enemies (though the spawning is imperfect so you rarely get an actual doubled amount of enemies as a few either spawn in the void or get their spots overwritten with another double spawn) and make health items be worth about 60% their normal value (except potions which still do 1). It's a very simple difficulty mode but for some reason I've been having a blast with it.

• The Truth is in here

Well, makes more sense than cutting ammo in half, which might actually make some maps unplayable (thinking of Plutonia's Go2It).

This 7-part annotated walkthrough will air daily all week and shows you where all the important stuff is, and how to get the true ending. Links in the description.

Jesus Impie you are a beast. I know very little people with that puts out quality content as fast as you.

I was browsing in search of shaders for GZDoom, because i have to admit that shaders can change the feeling during a gameplay, then i landed on this Topic, i noticed that the link for this Compilation is missed for the "Dark Shader" (funny, because i've started to search right to find something similar to it lol).

As I'm not interested to make an account everywhere i hope somebody will share the Dark Shader, i may be wrong but i think is the correct one i've uploaded.

Just to be clear is the one bundled with the Doom Remake 4

And btw, if someone know about similar shaders, please tell me xD.

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 01 July 2022 - 11:24 AM

User is offline   MObreck 

View PostThe Battlelord, on 01 July 2022 - 11:21 AM, said:

I was browsing in search of shaders for GZDoom, because i have to admit that shaders can change the feeling during a gameplay...

Shaders are a lot of fun to work with. They can also be applied to individual textures/sprites to create all kinds of visual effects. Here's a video showing some experiments I made:

The waterfall, blue portal tiles, forcefields, slime, and the burning effect on the hell knights are all shader effects applied to static artwork.

My only complaint about GZDoom's shader system is there is no way to manipulate it in-game with ZScript (as far as I can tell). For example the project I am currently working on uses a disintegration effect that would be very easy, and much better looking, to achieve through a shader if I could directly control the timing the actor's ZScript. Instead I'm stuck used manually animated sprite frames I created in Unity.

View PostMObreck, on 02 July 2022 - 02:29 PM, said:

Shaders are a lot of fun to work with. They can also be applied to individual textures/sprites to create all kinds of visual effects. Here's a video showing some experiments I made:
https://www.youtube....h?v=7lf74Yc2ojA

Oh it's you!? I was searching where did the Pyro Demon mofo came from, for some reason this video was there, i watched it a pair of months ago, i was specially impressed by the light blue teleports and the forcefield windows, i think those can be used in many contexts for many purposes.

I mean, let's take in case to put the light blue teleports in an icy map, i think they'll fit very well, or just to show to the players some specifics paths to follow making them with different colours.

The forcefiled effect could also be used on some moded monster that has a shield or something similar like invicibility frames (Heresiarch from Hexen as example).

Anyway, those light blue teleports and their flashing effect are really stunning, very nice!

User is offline   MObreck 

View PostThe Battlelord, on 03 July 2022 - 03:40 AM, said:

Anyway, those light blue teleports and their flashing effect are really stunning, very nice!

Amusingly the blue light effect shader had a serious bug in the coding at the time of this recording. I actually got it looking even better later :D

I got the idea for that effect from Final Fantasy 4. The cyber-tower levels use a similar effect for some of their lighting object by using rapid palette cycling. Though due to the game using 3-bit color for its background tiles the effect only achieves 8 frames of animation where as my version produces roughly 127 unique frames.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

For anyone interested, this is a Doom screenplay I worked on with Impie. This is based on his horror novella "Knee Deep in the Dead." Which is, in my view, the definitive adaptation of the game into a story format.

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

View PostOpenMaw, on 06 July 2022 - 08:13 AM, said:

For anyone interested, this is a Doom screenplay I worked on with Impie. This is based on his horror novella "Knee Deep in the Dead." Which is, in my view, the definitive adaptation of the game into a story format.

Y-you mean... It is not Repercussions Of Evil?? :o

View PostOpenMaw, on 06 July 2022 - 08:13 AM, said:

I actually bought the novel. Always thought it would make a great movie. Certainly better than the two we have already. There's even a good spot for a first-person action sequence.

• Judge Mental

View PostFantinaikos, on 06 July 2022 - 08:33 AM, said:

Y-you mean... It is not Repercussions Of Evil?? :o

Well, okay, second best.

View PostThe Battlelord, on 01 July 2022 - 11:21 AM, said:

And btw, if someone know about similar shaders, please tell me xD.

Maybe i don't know where search, but it does not look so easy, casually found Sin City shader, following this path search on Google -> proposed Youtube videos about Doom mods -> read descriptions.

Apparently, valkiriforce's latest outing, Anomaly Report, got added to the Unity port.

Another surprising addition. Good for him, though. I always thought he made great classic-styled maps.

I was just going to post that actually. What's everyone opinion about it? Do y'all recommend it or is it a more niche experience?

Btw, I'm replaying Back to Saturn X (both episodes) and I honestly am having a lot more fun they I remember it when I first played it.

I also am finishing the Dynamite Duchess saga. God damn Impie has done such a fun tc lol. The guys over at Doomworld don't know what they are missing.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 11 July 2022 - 07:47 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

Some more footage of the cancelled Doom 4 and 2016 development:

Is it wrong that I think that Doom 4 would have been more visually interesting than Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal. There is something about a gritty and grounded violece Doom (like Doom 3) that appeals to me more than the rainbow vomit of nuDoom. Also That intro battle animation for Doom 2016 had a lot of interesting things going on in there.

User is offline   Avenger 

Agreed. Nudoom ruined the franchise. id is a shell of it`s former self. The devs have completely lost track of what made DOOM what it was with simple and straightforward core gameplay. Instead they decided to turn it into a rainbow puke arcade experience with a hundreds HUD`s stealing screen real estate and trying to jam 20 pounds of shit into a 10 pound bag attempting to include every modern shooter mechanic into the same game. DOOM Eternal screams for attention from 16 year olds that can`t focus for more than 15 minutes at a time.

This post has been edited by Avenger: 12 July 2022 - 04:39 PM

Like, it's not that I dislike that much Doom 2016 or Doom Eternal. It's just that they feel more like a successor to Quake with a Doom paint job than Doom proper. I don't know, maybe I'm a retard. I do agree that Eternal had a very really cluttered UI, almost obscenely so. And that arcade feel to the items, ammo etc really took a lot for me from the atmosphere of the game.

Btw, does anyone have any recommendation on playing Doom 3 in 2022? is there any sourceport for it?

This post has been edited by jkas789: 12 July 2022 - 10:18 PM

• Judge Mental

As far as I know it runs right out of the box still. All you have to do is fidget with the .ini file a little to get widescreen and fix a minor things. Otherwise it runs just as well now as it did 15 years ago.

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options