Duke4.net Forums: Doom Corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 159 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   ReaperAA 

In other news, this just got a public beta release.

https://www.doomworl...um/post/2473707

TNT2: Devilution is finally here. FINALLY after 12+ years in development, and having gone through development hell (and even had members break from the project to birth TNT: Revilution), its finally here. While be interesting to see how it plays (and how it compares to Revilution)

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I'll wait until the final version before playing it, but at least it's happening.

I'm admittedly kind of nervous. TNT:R had a lot going for it, and a lot against it. On the one hand, the original team behind it (Devalous, Kyka, etc.) had a very clear vision in mind that seemed to genuinely hit the spirit of the original. Of course, the final release didn't have everything either, but with the remnants shepherded by Jaws in Space (one of the few I trust as far as quality goes), the end result felt the best it could have been beneath its own development hell, especially lacking in the information the original team would later reveal (it sure explained a lot of the included content that the final release had no explanation for). Overall I did mostly enjoy TNT:R (soundtrack especially), minus any of the maps made by dobu gabu maru which were pure pain.

But from the open discussion on TNT2's development the original TNT:R team had, they said TNT:D's levels were aiming more for "maps for mapping's sake." That might have changed but that definitely has me on edge; I know the original TNT is disliked, but I prefer it to its cousin. Basically I'm worried TNTD is going to just be Plutonia under a TNT skin.

If nothing else, I hope this pushes TNT Forever to completion. I want to see the TNT:R rejected maps, and maybe sort of piece together what TNT:R might have looked like under that original vision.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 29 March 2022 - 12:20 AM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Fun observation: This project is so old several map authors have already expressed regrets about their design decisions they made back then and point out flaws they'd like to be fixed/removed...

View PostNightFright, on 29 March 2022 - 08:34 AM, said:

Fun observation: This project is so old several map authors have already expressed regrets about their design decisions they made back then and point out flaws they'd like to be fixed/removed...

What the hell was being spent on the project all this time if not refining everything, then...?

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

That's what I am wondering as well. If I read the recent forum entries, it's like the authors had turned their backs on their creations for years, advanced their skills and now frown upon these outdated levels which don't reflect their capabilites any more. It seems almost as if the project leads had been sitting on these maps for years and now publish them without significant changes.

But well, at least there's feedback now, so adjustments should happen. It's really worth waiting if you want to play a polished release.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 29 March 2022 - 09:52 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostThe Watchtower, on 27 March 2022 - 02:16 PM, said:

No, it doesn't sound amateurish at all, but I disagree with the artist label. Freeware usermade content for games (and I hope I won't hurt anyone's feelings here) are not art. It can be art, on the very rare occasion, but it's not by default. And if someone can make maps with an artistic touch, he can find ways to get paid for it. In fact, user mapping is closer to fan fiction, which is usually not about high quality either. And honestly, it's more about time sink, and hobby, instead of professional vision and job. However you're right, the negative attitude of the artists are often apparent in those who consider themselves artists.

I'm generally inclined to use the term "art" in a broad sense, i.e. any (original) product of human creativity (as opposed to making something based on already existing standards or blueprints) that serves a non-utilitatian purpose such as entertainment or aesthetic pleasure. I certainly did not mean Art with a capital A, that in addition has some transcendental and/or very high aesthetic value to human culture in general.

But even in the realm of traditional arts such as painting or music, there's definitely a lot of garbage, mediocre or bland, run-of-the-mill works that may, at best, do their job well by pleasing the eye or ear (if only for a while), but nothing much else, and certainly do not contribute to inspiring some higher feelings in the audience.

To me, "art" is anything that involves creativity and imagination, and is intended to please, entertain and spark the imagination of the audience. From this standpoint, I'd not say there's a fundamental difference between "serious" literature/fiction and fan fiction. There's bound to be a difference of skills -- writing/language, plot, character development, themes, etc. -- but then again, professional writers can be also ranked by their skills and there's no even playfield for everyone. But indeed, fan fiction is a hobby and there's a difference in approach, but this does not prevent hobbyists from honing their skills just as well.

View PostReaperAA, on 28 March 2022 - 12:00 AM, said:

Exactly. While I too wish that there was an additional "player's choice" wads list which listed the top ten most nominated/voted wads, the wads that are picked by the cacoward team (like it or not) do resonate with most of the Doom players (both within and even outside those on Doomworld). Only on rare occasions do you see people complaining about a wad that deserved a cacoward but didn't get one (Auger;Zenith is one such example, but that too at least got a sliver/runner-up award despite the past tensions and bad blood between the Doomworld and Doomer Boards staff).

Also to say that the main cacoward winners are all or mostly slaughtermaps is wrong. Among the twelve 2021's winners, only 3 (Haste, Fractured Worlds and Tarnsman's Projectile Hell) are what I would qualify as such. Also to say that only the runner ups are gems are entirely subjective. I personally found 3 of the mainline winners (Heartland, 1000 Lines 3 and Ashes Afterglow) to be real gems in my eyes.

I guess it's probably not entirely realistic to expect any award to be a clear guide on what's the "best" in a particular field, because there's a lot of subjective factors at work, and again, there are different preferences which may not be all accounted for and reflected. I tend to view Cacowards as an indicator for what is "trendy" with the community, but it is just one of the sources to consider if one is looking for good maps to play. It is probably tempting to look for a single authoritative source, considering that there are thousands of Doom user maps, but such source is and will probably remain a pipe dream.

View PostAleks, on 28 March 2022 - 03:21 AM, said:

I don’t know much or don’t care about Doomworld forums, but gotta drop my 2 cents here, as I disagree with you on principle here (and hope this doesn’t get derailed so much as to creating another Outhouse topic :P ). I think basically any user created content can be categorized as art, as this is in principle was art really is – creating something from scratch, using a specialized technique and for the sole purpose of looking good/conveying certain feelings. By this definition, fan fiction would also be art, just for me personally of “lower order”.

Again, I’ll be talking about the perspective of Duke maps (as I don’t know shit about Doom mapping), but I’d say most of the actual “fine art” is really within the freeware user made content, and not in the products – and this is mostly because in their own, personal, “hobby” projects people are pursuing their own vision and creativity rather than what would be liked by the players/what would sell/deadlines. And as far as hobbies go, they can be stuff like gaming, collecting stamps or even assembling models from precise instructions, which is not necessary paint, but can also be painting, sculpting or level design, which I’d consider art. To be honest, I find it more pure to do it for free and pleasure rather than taking it up commercially which would probably kill a lot of joy of doing that.

I completely agree with that. It's the old tale of paid work versus the labour of love. Thankfully, many developers of commercial games have managed to still keep their love and create really nice stuff. But I've always appreciated it how games inspire creativity in players, so that at some point they might surpass the original developers with their custom creations. After all, some of the commercial add-ons for Doom and Build games were created by essentially amateurs, some of whom later went on to become professional game designers.

View PostAleks, on 28 March 2022 - 03:21 AM, said:

Didn’t want to sound too pompous here and hope I didn’t, but I don’t see what’s wrong with interpreting one’s work as an art or what’s with the sudden connotation here between being an artist and being a pretentious dick. To be honest, most people I know who are actually making a living out of their art tend to have their both feet firmly on the ground.

Well, it was certainly not my intention to make any statements connecting art with arrogance or asocial behaviour. However, my understanding is that being an artist often means to have a certain vision and to be strongly invested in it. Artists need to believe in their own cause, and sometimes be uncompromising to bring their vision forward. These character traits are advantageous for making art, but if they spill into the realm of social interaction, where the ability to seek compromise and see the others' point of view is more crucial, it might result in strained relations. And as far as I can tell, something like this has been observed in artistic communities, possibly quite often. It's not bound to happen, but it may happen.

Also let's not forget that Doomworld is a big community with lots of active users, and a significant influx of newcomers. It's not an easy task to manage such a community in general, and there's a higher chance of disagreements between members, or of members doing something troublesome. From this perspective, a relatively small, tightly knit community of dedicated long-time members is more of a blessing, and is certainly easier to manage, with a higher degree of self-discipline and a propensity to maintain itself, rather than dissolve into chaos without proper control from admins and mods.

View PostNightFright, on 29 March 2022 - 09:51 AM, said:

But well, at least there's feedback now, so adjustments should happen. It's really worth waiting if you want to play a polished release.

I hope so, on both counts.

User is offline   NNC 

Probably I was wrong with the artist sentiment. In some ways, every single map and supporting code, art, music is an art form. Probably the fine art the word I was searching...

Was writing a commission in the cigar bar where I usually hang out, and lately they've been playing R-rated movies on the big tv every evening. The other night it was the Doom movie. I got to thinking about how I wish I could have turned my own Doom books into better films than the ones we got. I keep picturing this sequence in particular like a "found footage" style action/horror movie.

The left path from the entrance led back outside, where a crumbling stone bridge curved across a lagoon of murky red death-stench water, to a cave opening in the side of the mountain. We debated whether to risk crossing it. Ellison tapped his foot on the first segment of bridge and heard solid thumps. He smugly assured us it was fine, like he'd just performed a scientific test he was super proud of.

The moment he stepped onto the bridge he fell right through it, ten feet down into the waist-deep mire. For about five minutes we couldn't stop laughing. His dry-heaving and childish whining about the smell made us laugh harder.

Adams, being the lightest and the dumbest of the marines, volunteered to run across the bridge and check the cave. I gave her the okay as long as she came back at the first sign of trouble. She leapt over Ellison's hole and started tearing ass across the bridge like she was in a decathlon, the damned bridge collapsing under her feet at every step. The crazy bitch made it across, but she was going so fast she couldn't slow down before she bumbled right into the cave, out of our sight.

Silence for about one second. Then her voice shrieking a battle cry and her ACR barking on full auto, lighting up the cave entrance with a yellow strobe light. Then out came Adams just as fast as she'd went in, leaping off the cave ledge and into the murk with a thick splash. Three shit-imps came out after her, the first getting shoved into the "water" by his clumsy buddies.

Borg and Ellison laid down heavy suppression fire on the cave entrance while I slogged across the lagoon toward Adams, imp fireballs sailing over my head and scorching my face with hot gusts of air. Meanwhile Adams was duking it out with her shit-imp, punching it and cussing at it like it was one of her brothers -- she'd engaged her helmet to protect her face, so maybe she's smarter than I thought.

I put one round between the demon's eyes and dropped it in the murk. Adams's helmet retracted and she whined about my stealing her kills. I told her if she plays with her food, someone else is gonna eat it for her. Maybe she'll go for the kill from now on instead of fucking around and trying to prove herself.

After clearing out the cave, Hell Keep became our new base. It has a fantastic view of the surrounding landscape and our IPS readings are much clearer than when we first landed. We erected our sentry guns at both entrances, and parked the rovers in the gravel courtyard, where we set up our portable base facilities and are now having a barbeque. No joke.

We have a month's rations and water stored in the rovers, but Doc Olsen got visibly excited when he saw those bulldog carcasses, and asked Parker to keep them cold with the fire extinguisher while he set up the skillet. Among Olsen's pet projects is the study of Inferno's animal and plant life, and he'd prepared bulldog once before for a company of hungry marines. His dad was a hunter, so he learned how to clean and cook wild game when he was a kid. It shows, because that crazy viking is one hell of a chef: demon steak ain't as bad as we'd thought, though it's the gamey-est meat I ever tasted.

Adams settled for rations, and adamantly refused to eat with us. The suggestion of eating demon meat made her physically ill. Borg almost ordered her to partake, to discipline her for calling her captain a kill-stealer.

User is offline   jkas789 

Question: Are there any good Doom user maps that are not slaughter maps? I just want to play a map without the map maker expecting me to kill 100 cacodemons with a shotgun and 20 ammo.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 08 April 2022 - 10:47 PM

View Postjkas789, on 08 April 2022 - 10:46 PM, said:

Question: Are there any good Doom user maps that are not slaughter maps? I just want to play a map without the map maker expecting me to kill 100 cacodemons with a shotgun and 20 ammo.

Try any of Jimmy's maps if you hadn't already. Except maybe Jenesis MAP21. That's like the only one of his I can think of where ammunition is a problem... Though he does call a few maps "slaughter" in the third episode but I've seen slaughter and those are not slaughter.

Rip It Tear It Smash It is a favorite of mine. A couple of good E2 style maps for Ultimate Doom.

Brotherhood Of Ruin as well, for Doom 2. Aztec themed maps that're really well designed.

Crusades is a cool E4 replacement for Ultimate Doom. Really challenging, but not slaughter style. Motif is very gothic.

I hate slaughter maps, too. Seems to be the standard in the community these days.

This post has been edited by ImpieTheThird: 09 April 2022 - 01:39 AM

Its not quite just a usermap, since it also uses DeHacked patchs, but I thought The Sky May Be was good, if very unusual. YMMV though.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I really don't understand why slaughter maps have become the be all end all of Doom mapping aside of some artistic stuff. Like I can get behind having two, maybe five maps but having every single map in a 32 map user episode be a slaughter map absolutely kills me inside.

View PostImpieTheThird, on 09 April 2022 - 01:39 AM, said:

I hate slaughter maps, too. Seems to be the standard in the community these days.

View Postjkas789, on 09 April 2022 - 08:05 PM, said:

I really don't understand why slaughter maps have become the be all end all of Doom mapping aside of some artistic stuff.

Firstly, there is a reason why slaughter maps are popular these days. There are people who have been playing Doom for many years (even decades now), so naturally, the mappers among them are generally very skilled players and find "normal" maps too boring and easy nowadays. They like creating slaughter maps to challenge themselves and also to entertain other players like them. You can't really blame them for that.

Secondly, while there are plenty of slaughter maps, there are also plenty non slaughter map out there. One just needs to know where to look for them.

As NinetySix mentioned, James Paddock's mapsets (Jenesis, Jiffybag, Deathless, Earthless) are fairly relaxed with only a few challenging (still non slaughter) maps here and there.

Other non-slaughter mapsets:
  • DTWID ad D2TWID. They mimic the style and difficulty of the original Doom and Doom 2 maps respectively.
  • Doom Zero. Another wad with 90's style gameplay and difficulty (except it is more refined than the actual 90's wad)
  • Doomkid's wads (Rowdy Rudy and Ray Mohawk series)
  • 1000 Lines Trilogy. The first wad is fairly easy with only map32 being slaughter. The 2nd and 3rd wads do have around 4 or 5-ish slaughter but are otherwise non-slaughter. The 3rd wad is my favorite and I would definitely recommend it (lower difficulties are very accessible if UV is problematic).
  • TNT: Revilution and the recently released TNT2: Devilution (Devilution is in beta stage, so you might want to hold out). Both have some mean and challenging maps, but are otherwise non-slaughter.
  • Anomaly Report. Just recently released wad. I haven't played it myself but the author (Valkiriforce) claims it to be a mostly easygoing experience and takes inspriration from original Doom 2 and D2TWID maps.
  • Skillsaw's older wads (Vanguard and Lunatic). Both have slaughter-lite gameplay in their last maps but even those are generally forgiving and the rest are non-slaughter maps. If you can handle Plutonia, you can surely handle these 2.
  • DBP37: Auger Zenith. Apart from map15, there isn't much slaughter in this wad.
  • Lost Civilization. Huge maps with realistic looking environments. Combat is not primary focus but can have some moderately challenging parts here and there.
  • Infection. 7 map wad with nice clean aesthetics and fairly breezy gameplay. Just don't pistol start the maps since they are designed for continuous play.
  • Attack on Io. 7 maps with roughly Plutonia level difficulty.
  • Vow of Vengeance. 15 maps by the same author as Attack on Io. Haven't played them, but from what I saw on videos, the difficulty seems similar.

And if you are willing to go back to 90's/early 00's, there are plenty of non-slaughter wads such as:
  • The Darkening E1 and E2
  • TVR: Revolution
  • Memento Mori 1 and 2
  • Requiem
  • Icarus: Alien Vanguard
  • Eternal Doom (very cryptic progression though. You have been warned)
  • Operation: Biowar
  • Fava Beans
  • Obituary

Also if you are willing to reduce difficulty settings to HMP or HNTR, then plenty more mapsets become accessible such as:
  • Skillsaw's newer wads (Valiant, Ancient Aliens and Heartland)
  • Eviternity. Most maps are already accessible on UV, but 4 or 5 maps could be overwhelming due to their length and difficulty.
  • BTSX E1 and E2
  • Going Down
  • Alien Vendetta
  • Hell Revealed
  • Speed of Doom (on HNTR, it is quite accessible)
  • Akeldama
  • Plutonia 2 and Plutonia Revisited
  • Ozonia
  • Scythe 1 (Scythe 2 does have some hard slaughter maps even on lower skill levels)
  • Pretty much every Doomer Board Project (there are 40+ of them as of this moment and they release one every month) are accessible on HMP/HNTR (if not on UV)

These are just some of the examples I could think of on top of my head and I don't even play a lot of wads compared to other folks on Doomworld/ZDoom/Doomer Boards forums.

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 10 April 2022 - 12:31 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Nice list, thanks for the suggestions, ReaperAA!

User is offline   MObreck 

[Comment deleted due to my video recording software being in a special mood today...]

This post has been edited by MObreck: 11 April 2022 - 12:17 AM

Alright, now that my recording software isn't trolling me let's try this again. Here is footage ancient lost Beavis and Butthead mod for DOOM, created all the back in 1994/1995. It was made by a modding group called the ByteBrothers.

Warning: The sound effects can get a bit obnoxious. That was actually a pretty common trend for DOOM mods created back then:

Unfortunately Viacom got their copyright panties in a bunch and shut this mod down. The ByteBrother disappeared from DOOM modding shortly after. It has pretty much vanished from the internet since then. But with some searching I managed to find copy so I thought I'd showcase this forgotten piece of DOOM history.

View PostReaperAA, on 09 April 2022 - 11:45 PM, said:

As NinetySix mentioned, James Paddock's mapsets (Jenesis, Jiffybag, Deathless, Earthless) are fairly relaxed with only a few challenging (still non slaughter) maps here and there.

Thanks @ReaperAA. I am a casual player mostly and even when I can raise my game enough to do it, slaughter gets boring pretty quickly; I mean what's the point? I love exploring maps and fighting (a sensible number of) monsters, seeing what this switch does or where that platform goes, etc. Besides, if i wanted slaughter ... there's always nuts.wad :Posted Image

Unfortunately Viacom got their copyright panties in a bunch and shut this mod down.

Same destiny happened to the Bikini Bottom Massacre mod, but this time, some hero saved it from Viacom's greedy hands.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 11 April 2022 - 04:47 AM

Good. I was hoping to play that once I have my computer issues sorted out.

Eat a dick, viacom.

Firstly, there is a reason why slaughter maps are popular these days. There are people who have been playing Doom for many years (even decades now), so naturally, the mappers among them are generally very skilled players and find "normal" maps too boring and easy nowadays. They like creating slaughter maps to challenge themselves and also to entertain other players like them. You can't really blame them for that.

Secondly, while there are plenty of slaughter maps, there are also plenty non slaughter map out there. One just needs to know where to look for them.

I can't, but I don't think it's wrong to point out that there is a enormous amount of slaughter maps out there, and that it can get really annoying sometimes. It's like if a taqueria suddenly started adding chiltepin chili to their tacos because they liked spicy tacos, and then almost everyone started doing the same. Sure, I don't have to eat the tacos they sell and sure, I can look for that one taqueria near the airport that doesn't follow the trend and sells normal tacos. But you can see where it can start to get annoying right? Well, ultimately, my issues don't really matter I guess. I'll just have to look for non slaughter maps more carefully and not just download a cool map I just saw from the doomworld/Doomer Boards/whatever.

• DTWID ad D2TWID. They mimic the style and difficulty of the original Doom and Doom 2 maps respectively.
  • Doom Zero. Another wad with 90's style gameplay and difficulty (except it is more refined than the actual 90's wad)
  • Doomkid's wads (Rowdy Rudy and Ray Mohawk series)
  • 1000 Lines Trilogy. The first wad is fairly easy with only map32 being slaughter. The 2nd and 3rd wads do have around 4 or 5-ish slaughter but are otherwise non-slaughter. The 3rd wad is my favorite and I would definitely recommend it (lower difficulties are very accessible if UV is problematic).
  • TNT: Revilution and the recently released TNT2: Devilution (Devilution is in beta stage, so you might want to hold out). Both have some mean and challenging maps, but are otherwise non-slaughter.
  • Anomaly Report. Just recently released wad. I haven't played it myself but the author (Valkiriforce) claims it to be a mostly easygoing experience and takes inspriration from original Doom 2 and D2TWID maps.
  • Skillsaw's older wads (Vanguard and Lunatic). Both have slaughter-lite gameplay in their last maps but even those are generally forgiving and the rest are non-slaughter maps. If you can handle Plutonia, you can surely handle these 2.
  • DBP37: Auger Zenith. Apart from map15, there isn't much slaughter in this wad.
  • Lost Civilization. Huge maps with realistic looking environments. Combat is not primary focus but can have some moderately challenging parts here and there.
  • Infection. 7 map wad with nice clean aesthetics and fairly breezy gameplay. Just don't pistol start the maps since they are designed for continuous play.
  • Attack on Io. 7 maps with roughly Plutonia level difficulty.
  • Vow of Vengeance. 15 maps by the same author as Attack on Io. Haven't played them, but from what I saw on videos, the difficulty seems similar.

And if you are willing to go back to 90's/early 00's, there are plenty of non-slaughter wads such as:
  • The Darkening E1 and E2
  • TVR: Revolution
  • Memento Mori 1 and 2
  • Requiem
  • Icarus: Alien Vanguard
  • Eternal Doom (very cryptic progression though. You have been warned)
  • Operation: Biowar
  • Fava Beans
  • Obituary

Also if you are willing to reduce difficulty settings to HMP or HNTR, then plenty more mapsets become accessible such as:
  • Skillsaw's newer wads (Valiant, Ancient Aliens and Heartland)
  • Eviternity. Most maps are already accessible on UV, but 4 or 5 maps could be overwhelming due to their length and difficulty.
  • BTSX E1 and E2
  • Going Down
  • Alien Vendetta
  • Hell Revealed
  • Speed of Doom (on HNTR, it is quite accessible)
  • Akeldama
  • Plutonia 2 and Plutonia Revisited
  • Ozonia
  • Scythe 1 (Scythe 2 does have some hard slaughter maps even on lower skill levels)
  • Pretty much every Doomer Board Project (there are 40+ of them as of this moment and they release one every month) are accessible on HMP/HNTR (if not on UV)

These are just some of the examples I could think of on top of my head and I don't even play a lot of wads compared to other folks on Doomworld/ZDoom/Doomer Boards forums.

Thanks for the recommendations mate. I will definitely be downloading those maps and playing them ( ̄ω ̄)/

@Fantinaikos Thanks for the link dude, you can bet you ass I will be downloading that.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 11 April 2022 - 07:31 PM

View Postjkas789, on 11 April 2022 - 07:29 PM, said:

I can't, but I don't think it's wrong to point out that there is a enormous amount of slaughter maps out there, and that it can get really annoying sometimes. It's like if a taqueria suddenly started adding chiltepin chili to their tacos because they liked spicy tacos, and then almost everyone started doing the same. Sure, I don't have to eat the tacos they sell and sure, I can look for that one taqueria near the airport that doesn't follow the trend and sells normal tacos. But you can see where it can start to get annoying right? Well, ultimately, my issues don't really matter I guess. I'll just have to look for non slaughter maps more carefully and not just download a cool map I just saw from the doomworld/Doomer Boards/whatever.

Part of the problem is the Cacowards. Slaughterwads make up the majority of recipients, and that basically encourages even more people to make them.

After quite a long wait, the Doom Unity port received another addon:

https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/1513913950957711365?cxt=HHwWisC9tfStwIIqAAAAhttps: //twitter.com/...sC9tfStwIIqAAAA

Arrival is a 11-map Doom 2 wad that was released in 2021 and won a cacoward the same year.

View PostMObreck, on 11 April 2022 - 12:41 AM, said:

Alright, now that my recording software isn't trolling me let's try this again. Here is footage ancient lost Beavis and Butthead mod for DOOM, created all the back in 1994/1995. It was made by a modding group called the ByteBrothers.

Warning: The sound effects can get a bit obnoxious. That was actually a pretty common trend for DOOM mods created back then:

Unfortunately Viacom got their copyright panties in a bunch and shut this mod down. The ByteBrother disappeared from DOOM modding shortly after. It has pretty much vanished from the internet since then. But with some searching I managed to find copy so I thought I'd showcase this forgotten piece of DOOM history.

Wait, this is totally different from the mod I expected where they just replace the former humans with beavo and buffcoat. didn't realize someone gave it a simpsons doom level treatment.

View PostImpieTheThird, on 17 April 2022 - 06:17 PM, said:

Wait, this is totally different from the mod I expected where they just replace the former humans with beavo and buffcoat. didn't realize someone gave it a simpsons doom level treatment.

Not surprised. This mod is ancient and very obscure. I only know about because I stumbled on it when it was new.

I guess I should probably at least share the wad, being its almost impossible to find these days.

NOTE: This wad comes from an era when you needed to take extra steps to make a sprite replacer mod work for DOOM. You can ignore all the DEUTEX and other strange stuff in the ZIP. Just use the PRO wads if you want to play as Butthead or the ANT wads if you want to play Mr Vandresian. No other setup needed if you are using a DOOM source port. For the video I used ANT_GFX.wad along with all the PRO wads to get the Shotgunner replaced with Beavis enemies.

Attached File(s)

View PostMObreck, on 17 April 2022 - 07:31 PM, said:

Not surprised. This mod is ancient and very obscure. I only know about because I stumbled on it when it was new.

I guess I should probably at least share the wad, being its almost impossible to find these days.

NOTE: This wad comes from an era when you needed to take extra steps to make a sprite replacer mod work for DOOM. You can ignore all the DEUTEX and other strange stuff in the ZIP. Just use the PRO wads if you want to play as Butthead or the ANT wads if you want to play Mr Vandresian. No other setup needed if you are using a DOOM source port. For the video I used ANT_GFX.wad along with all the PRO wads to get the Shotgunner replaced with Beavis enemies.

You are the boss mate. o7

Played it a bit and it's fun. Thank you Fantinaikos!

This post has been edited by INGAMEDUKETHREEDEE: 19 April 2022 - 01:33 AM

View PostImpieTheThird, on 17 April 2022 - 06:17 PM, said:

On the topic of Simpsons DOOM here is a video showing the enemies of the original Simpsons DOOM mod (another created in the Mid-90s).

This was the one I was stuck using in my early DOOM days. Doesn't exactly live up to the sprite quality of the remake most people are familiar with, eh? :P

So hang on, there were multiple attempts at making a Simpsons mod for Doom? I thought there was only one, and that one was known for being made from legit scanned drawings, sort of like how the show was actually made.
Looked it up on the Doom wiki...
https://doomwiki.org...e_Simpsons_Doom
Huh, guess it was remastered at some point...but wait, Myk Friedman...is that...? The Isle of the Dead artist. What the fuck.

Share this topic:

• 159 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options