• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   jkas789 

View PostAleks, on 25 July 2021 - 03:52 AM, said:

This gives me an idea for a community project for Duke... :P

Duke Nukem 3D the way we rememeber it: Basically Hollywood Holocaust with more explosions and strippers. Three episodes of that. Also sumthing about the moon i don't know man.

View PostNinety-Six, on 23 July 2021 - 05:30 PM, said:

In a reply to one of the comments Sandy says he hasn't built a level for Doom since 1997.

What Doom maps was he building in 1997...?

Maybe he was mapping on his own? Perhaps there is a user map floating around the net on a pseudonym that Sandy released.

User is offline   NNC 

I was already speculating if some of the big names made user maps using aliases. Not just for Doom, but for Duke, Blood, Quake and other games. Romero's vibes are clearly found in some Memento Mori maps, under the author name Orin Flaharty, but he was probably just mimicking Romero's style. Pipeline's maps in Duke have some Allen Blum vibes in them, but probably not convincing enough.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Edward the snitch is having Doom 64 CE taken down

Posted Image

Get it while you can

View PostPhredreeke, on 26 July 2021 - 05:56 AM, said:

Edward the snitch is having Doom 64 CE taken down

Get it while you can

A shit it is 1+ gigs. Well, I guess I need my mobile data for something other then Whatsapp. I'll download this and upload them to internet archive.

Also I swear fucking Nightdive. Did it really hurt their bottom line to leave this alone? Fucking Brutal Doom 64 and Doom 64 Retribution exists and I don't see them going after those guys. I WANT TO LIKE YOU NIGHTDIVE!

This post has been edited by jkas789: 26 July 2021 - 06:16 AM

TL;DR this is Doom 64 Retribution with colored gradient lighting restored, additional episodes ported, the soundtrack from D64 in D2 integrated as an option and lots of visual enhancements (including 2x upscaled sprites and textures)

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View Postjkas789, on 26 July 2021 - 06:15 AM, said:

Fucking Brutal Doom 64 and Doom 64 Retribution exists and I don't see them going after those guys.

As far as I understand the issue, it's focused primarily around the new levels more than anything. I think that's why both of those remain untouched, at least for right now.

I have downloaded the latest versions and uploaded them to internet archive.

It's gonna take a while for all the files to upload to the IA page though, as they weight 1+ gigs and my taco internet is thrash. Also there are a shit ton of archived versions, so I will be going backwards.

Posted Image

Unrelated to the current topic, but I'm genuinely curious.

Does anyone else hate the damage flash as much as I do? It's not that I hate it in concept; I don't mind it in other games. But with Doom, there's a very particular aspect of it that I just can not stand. And that's how when you take a lot of damage, you may as well have just been one-shot because you are more or less completely blind for a long time. It's way too intense and lingers way too long, and in harder mapsets it's basically inevitable that you will take a lot of damage at some point and you are essentially dead on two legs at that point.

I hated it enough to look up anything at all on the zdoom wiki and learned that newer ports offer the ability to alter the intensity through a CVAR/CCMD. I hate it enough that I'm probably finally going to move on from zdoom just because of how done I am with that. 0.5 all the way.

Honestly I have never noticed it that much.

EDIT: Was resting a bit after a batch of consultations playing Doom on my switch and I now can't stop noticing. Thanks!

This post has been edited by jkas789: 26 July 2021 - 01:13 PM

2.0.4 is up, it

- no longer includes the Lost Levels
- requires the user patch DOOM64.WAD from the official release to run it

View Postjkas789, on 26 July 2021 - 10:52 AM, said:

Honestly I have never noticed it that much.

EDIT: Was resting a bit after a batch of consultations playing Doom on my switch and I now can't stop noticing. Thanks!

muahaha?

View PostPhredreeke, on 26 July 2021 - 02:25 PM, said:

2.0.4 is up, it

- no longer includes the Lost Levels
- requires the user patch DOOM64.WAD from the official release to run it

Kek. Well at least we have the IA upload.

muahaha?

muahaha.

Finally a decent DOOM 3 atmosphere themed mod: https://forum.zdoom....hp?f=43&t=72960
Posted Image
Posted Image
Also:

https://totally-fungal.itch.io/doomori
Those guys ray-traced the Dukeplus alternative shotgun. Convince me of the contrary.

User is offline   Outtagum 

Demo here: https://hellforge-st...the-age-of-hell

User is offline   Sanek 

John Romero is making Sigil 2 with Doom II engine

I'm excited :)

""I can't put a date on it," said Romero. "I think that it'll be worth it when it comes out, just because that's a lot of levels and I want to make sure that they have a really good consistency and progression, and are just really challenging."

I guess he really is going for the full 32... I just hope they're better than his base doom 2 offerings. Watchtower recently revealed to me that all my least favorite levels just so happen to have been authored by him.

Though I'll be happy as long as we don't see another Gotcha or Industrial Zone, or god forbid many copies of them.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Is it already known if Romero will release the D2 addon like Sigil (free basic version + commercial one with goodies)? I mean, it's sane to assume there is some monetization involved after all, considering he is investing a considerable amount of time into it.
Thinking about it... I hope this doesn't mean there isn't anything else to do for him right now.

Doom 64 CE was updated again some days ago
- the mod now comes with an autopatcher
- the lost levels are back (it extracts them from the official wad then patches them to the CE versions)

https://www.moddb.co...05-full-version

View PostPhredreeke, on 16 August 2021 - 05:14 AM, said:

- the lost levels are back (it extracts them from the official wad then patches them to the CE versions)

Yeah I about expected that.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Just my opinion, but I think it's be nice if Romero used some community-made textures this time, like Ola Björling's OTEX.

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View PostMrFlibble, on 16 August 2021 - 06:39 AM, said:

Just my opinion, but I think it's be nice if Romero used some community-made textures this time, like Ola Björling's OTEX.

Yeah. Would be pretty cool if he did that (although I doubt that he would)

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostReaperAA, on 16 August 2021 - 10:34 PM, said:

(although I doubt that he would)

What makes you think so?

View PostMrFlibble, on 17 August 2021 - 08:07 AM, said:

What makes you think so?

I know you're asking reaper, but I share a similar opinion, so here's my two cents.

I think it's unlikely for a few reasons. The first is that as pretty as OTEX is, it doesn't really mesh with the original monster and object sprites. Second, Romero probably has a bit of a personal attachment to the original texture set, seeing as he was there when they were created. And third, Romero strikes me as the kind of designer that prefers autonomy. I think he would only want to involve outsiders for the purposes of playtesting and the like, as opposed to working on the thing itself be it level design or art.

I wish we could see more boomer shooter devs follow Romero's example. Who here wouldn't want to see a new Jay Wilson map?

User is offline   LakiSoft 

Sigil was somewhat fine for me, so i hope Sigil 2 would be even better.

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View PostNinety-Six, on 17 August 2021 - 01:37 PM, said:

I know you're asking reaper, but I share a similar opinion, so here's my two cents.

I think it's unlikely for a few reasons. The first is that as pretty as OTEX is, it doesn't really mesh with the original monster and object sprites. Second, Romero probably has a bit of a personal attachment to the original texture set, seeing as he was there when they were created. And third, Romero strikes me as the kind of designer that prefers autonomy. I think he would only want to involve outsiders for the purposes of playtesting and the like, as opposed to working on the thing itself be it level design or art.

I don't actually agree with the 1st point. I think OTEX (while more detailed than original textures/flats) still works well with the original monsters.

Agreed on 2nd and 3rd points though. In addition, I think Romero wants to keep the "OG" feel. At least that was the case with original SIgil. Since Sigil was meant to be the unofficial 5th Episode of UDoom, it was fitting to stick with original textures.

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostPhredreeke, on 17 August 2021 - 01:46 PM, said:

I wish we could see more boomer shooter devs follow Romero's example. Who here wouldn't want to see a new Jay Wilson map?

Ask for a new Blum map and you'll have The Watchtower all over the place :P

User is offline   NNC 

View PostAleks, on 18 August 2021 - 02:11 AM, said:

Ask for a new Blum map and you'll have The Watchtower all over the place :P

I know my Blum obsession is a meme on this forum, but is it really just me who thinks he is as outstanding as Romero?

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options