Duke4.net Forums: Doom Corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 141 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Outtagum, on 15 August 2021 - 12:09 PM, said:

I watched Mr. Icarus' review and while the demo indeed looks quite impressive, it also feels a little bit too derivative to my tastes. Considering that it is still running on the Doom engine, what are the chances that these overly obvious similarities, like the Revenant's design that is almost a complete carbon copy, could evoke the ire of the copyright holders?

A small 4 level wad I have been working on.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Untitled.jpg

User is offline   ck3D 

The Watchtower, on 19 August 2021 - 10:38 PM, said:

Not in a complex way like in Duke. Blood and SW used a more sophisticated Build engine, but AFAIK they mostly relied on the floor "mirrors" like in the shipwreck level, the layouts were much simpler. But I have never analyzed the levels deeply, so I can be wrong, it was just an impression.

Btw. I think Death Wish has updated the game's design in every possible aspects. Those levels looked mighty, and it's on my shortlist to play through it once finally.

My only direct experience with Blood as a player was always just to try and get as far into episode 1 as possible when I was a kid the few times I did play it and so for a while my grasp on the level design in that game was surface level, but not so long ago I did watch a few playthrough videos (maybe of the expansion packs too, then I couldn't tell you which was which off the top of my head) with paying close attention to the mapping in mind and I was pleasantly surprised in fact. The strong postmodern urban vibes and levels such as Freeway (and obviously Spin Cycle, etc...) aside, I actually saw a lot of smart SOS use (again, may have been in one of the expansion packs) that sort of trumps what Duke 3D did with it on average, and I'm not talking about the 'fake' floor mirror effect. It's very vague but the general impression those Blood videos left me with was of what Duke 3D would have been if Blum had designed all the maps, not because of anything aesthetic but because of the intelligence in the pure 2D layouts and the arrangement of the different floors and rooms. The comparisons kind of stop there though, and maybe we're even saying the same thing if what I'm describing is in fact memories of Death Wish (which is possible as I know I've seen videos of that). But different version of the engine or not, I remember appreciating those points in particular in the level design of Blood maps altogether, but I suspect the darkness of that game (both in terms of tone and color palette) may contribute to masking those qualities a fair bit as everything blends together into the general horror theme, it may be harder for specific traits to stand out. Similarly to what some people say about 'good' video editing for instance, where the best kind supposedly is the one you never actually notice.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 21 August 2021 - 05:43 PM

User is online   Phredreeke 

What do you mean by "floor mirrors"?

User is offline   ck3D 

Phredreeke, on 21 August 2021 - 06:22 PM, said:

What do you mean by "floor mirrors"?

I'm assuming the 'fake'/OG room-over-room involving SE 40+'s.

User is online   Phredreeke 

But SW/Blood don't use sector effectors...

User is offline   ck3D 

I have no idea how Blood and SW work, but in Duke 3D there are leftovers of that effect which some people have reproduced before using SE40+'s (I think 40 to 45?). Basically it tells the game to render a sector that's somewhere else in the map in place of a different one to simulate floors down below or up above and so people have drawn parallels with how mirrors function before. From stuff I've read on here, SW is known for using a clean version of the trick in certain levels (about Blood I'm not sure), whereas in Duke 3D it's basically broken which is why no one is using it.

View PostThe Watchtower, on 21 August 2021 - 06:51 AM, said:

Yep, the cs in my old nickname gave huge confusion here. It was still a shitty nickname, but not hungarian Nancy.

But enough of that: I'm curious if Romero adds any of his old Sigil levels with more varied beastiary in his new megawad. That would speed up the progress a lot as only 23 levels are needed to add, not 32. But the chances are low as he declared it as the fifth episode of OG Doom.

That sounds like really good idea. Though i think Romero will go on totally new 32 levels. I would personally more like if he put old Sigil as a first cluster of Sigil 2, while adding Doom 2 stuff in old Sigil levels, then making the rest 23 even cooler levels to complete so new, but good old classic experience. But again, as i said, that's unlikely to happen.

View PostWilliam Gee, on 21 August 2021 - 04:32 PM, said:

A small 4 level wad I have been working on.

Is this your first Doom mapset? As it is, I will try it for sure. I got the impression your style would work astonishingly well with Doom 2, and possibly GZDoom effects might be helpful as well.

View Postck3D, on 21 August 2021 - 05:42 PM, said:

My only direct experience with Blood as a player was always just to try and get as far into episode 1 as possible when I was a kid the few times I did play it and so for a while my grasp on the level design in that game was surface level, but not so long ago I did watch a few playthrough videos (maybe of the expansion packs too, then I couldn't tell you which was which off the top of my head) with paying close attention to the mapping in mind and I was pleasantly surprised in fact. The strong postmodern urban vibes and levels such as Freeway (and obviously Spin Cycle, etc...) aside, I actually saw a lot of smart SOS use (again, may have been in one of the expansion packs) that sort of trumps what Duke 3D did with it on average, and I'm not talking about the 'fake' floor mirror effect. It's very vague but the general impression those Blood videos left me with was of what Duke 3D would have been if Blum had designed all the maps, not because of anything aesthetic but because of the intelligence in the pure 2D layouts and the arrangement of the different floors and rooms. The comparisons kind of stop there though, and maybe we're even saying the same thing if what I'm describing is in fact memories of Death Wish (which is possible as I know I've seen videos of that). But different version of the engine or not, I remember appreciating those points in particular in the level design of Blood maps altogether, but I suspect the darkness of that game (both in terms of tone and color palette) may contribute to masking those qualities a fair bit as everything blends together into the general horror theme, it may be harder for specific traits to stand out. Similarly to what some people say about 'good' video editing for instance, where the best kind supposedly is the one you never actually notice.

Probably I would appreciate them more if I check them in an editor too. But the main impression is still that everything blur into just one giant level. Also thinking about the comment the Blood is an anachronistic game as it uses present day weapons and stuff in XIX century surrounding. Probably that bothers me too. I'm actually in favour of futuristic environments as past already happened. But that's a personal thing.

Shadow Warrior's floor mirrors are the fake room over rooms using a paralaxed mirror(??) sprite. I don't know the details, but when I checked the maps it looked like that way. I guess Blood has similar stuff in it, for example in the shipwreck level you can look into the storage room with the fire key in a very similar way.

This post has been edited by The Watchtower: 22 August 2021 - 08:12 AM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostThe Watchtower, on 22 August 2021 - 07:51 AM, said:

Is this your first Doom mapset?

2 of the levels in the wad were released before, but he's touched them up a lot since and added two more from scratch.

View PostThe Watchtower, on 22 August 2021 - 07:51 AM, said:

Is this your first Doom mapset? As it is, I will try it for sure. I got the impression your style would work astonishingly well with Doom 2, and possibly GZDoom effects might be helpful as well.

YES and NO. :o I started 2 of the levels after DooM 2016 was released, but I never finished them and I thought they had disapeard, but I found them on doomworld in beta state, so I have touched them up and added 2 more levels so far.

This post has been edited by William Gee: 22 August 2021 - 05:15 PM

User is offline   Lazy Dog 

Thanks(?) Youtube algorithm.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 10 September 2021 - 10:42 AM

accurate

minus the inevitable meltdown whenever someone complains

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View PostLazy Dog, on 10 September 2021 - 10:37 AM, said:

https://www.youtube....h?v=1UtTtrwMQHI

Thanks(?) Youtube algorithm.

And yet my "craptop" (Laptop with shit specs) can run GZDoom fine. People tend to forget that GZDoom is more CPU dependant (single thread performance) and less GPU dependant than your typical AAA game. An RTX 3080 won't help if you have shit single threaded CPU performance.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

A free two-level demo for "Supplice" has been released on Steam:
https://store.steamp...93280/Supplice/

In case you don't know what it is: It's basically "Doom goes Ion Fury". Having been in development since nine years, it's highly anticipated by the community ever since it had been announced.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 October 2021 - 02:23 AM

View PostNightFright, on 02 October 2021 - 02:20 AM, said:

Here's hoping for a GOG release too!

Well, it holds my attention more than Hedon does, at least. I'll give it that much.

I don't have enough experience with Mechadon's levels to know if I should be optimistic or pessimistic about the project. The graphics are nice as they are and the soundtrack being great is a shoe-in, so I'm not as concerned about those. The gameplay is gonna be what makes or breaks it, though.

Decided to play through some of his singleplayer offerings. Namely, Unstable Journey, Shocker in Gloomtown, Tricylic Looper (all from BTSX), Gossamer (Eviternity), Atlatl (Plutonia Revisited), and Counterattack (which seems to be some kind of offshoot of Supplice going by the plot description). Well I say "play through," but it was more of an initial impressions, going until I died because I went saveless as usual.

After doing so, I choose to be optimistic. His levels don't get hard all that often, but when they do they usually seem to be fair. I throw up an exception for SiG, but that was co-developed with someone else so I won't hold that against him too much. There were also a few minor issues here and there but he earned enough good credit to warrant some forgiveness.

Moreover, he seems to be one of the few mappers over there I can argue does exhibit some "professional" qualities. For one he understands what catharsis is, and the push and pull of enemy placement to have moments of tension and moments of release. Something a lot of those self-titled professionals from that cesspit have no concept of (which is normally acceptable for fan works... But they're the ones that insist on being thought of as professionals so if that's how they want to be thought of then their levels will be held to professional standards. Which they nigh-universally fall short of). Even his slaughtery levels feel just slightly less asshole-y than your typical slaughtermap. A lot more like what Jenesis had going for it.

Of course, I was unable to complete all but one level (Tricylic Looper), so they could go bad later on. But I made good headway into a few of them, so I'm willing to give Mechadon the benefit of the doubt.

• The Truth is in here

Just in case you missed it:
REKKR: Sunken Land is available on Steam since Oct 11. Purchases during the first week after release get a -29% discount.

The REKKR release is good news!

View PostNightFright, on 02 October 2021 - 02:20 AM, said:

In case you don't know what it is: It's basically "Doom goes Ion Fury". Having been in development since nine years, it's highly anticipated by the community ever since it had been announced.

I watched a bit of demo gameplay on YT, and TBH, I got a feeling that "Doom goes Ion Fury" is a description more fittingly applied to The Age of Hell rather than Supplice, although my first impression of TAoH had been that of something very derivative and Doom-like. Supplice appears to be more like "Doom with some enhancements" (ROR, iron sights etc.), which is not a bad thing per se of course.

And yeah, I'm aware that Cage is behind the HUD weapons and I guess some other artwork in Supplice so the Ion Fury connexion is right there. It's just that Supplice seems to have taken a more conservative approach to gameplay, possibly due to its origins as a Boom-compatible partial conversion.

They also need too work on the protagonist's voice. I'm watching this video ATM and it is my understanding that the inaesthetic squeals audible from time to time are supposed to be the player's pain sound (the variant heard around 1:42 sounds especially out of place to me). It appears that making the player character female was a last-minute decision -- IIRC previous game-related materials simply refer to the protagonist as an "engineer" without specifying further -- and personally I'm not convinced that this decision was not made simply because it's the current trend, because so far there appears to be nothing in the game story or setting that would be affected by the player character's sex.

Looks promising, hopefully it won't turn into a typical Doomw*rld wad type of game when everything goes flashy and loud around the tenth map.

View PostNightFright, on 12 October 2021 - 01:44 AM, said:

Just in case you missed it:
REKKR: Sunken Land is available on Steam since Oct 11. Purchases during the first week after release get a -29% discount.

The store page doesn't list what the differences are. I can see that it's using GZDoom instead of vanilla, but I kinda doubt that's all there is.

User is offline   Malgon 

In an interesting kind of crossover, decino does a playthrough of a Civvie 11-themed map! :D

This post has been edited by Malgon: 13 October 2021 - 05:12 AM

View PostNinety-Six, on 12 October 2021 - 01:25 PM, said:

The store page doesn't list what the differences are. I can see that it's using GZDoom instead of vanilla, but I kinda doubt that's all there is.

There's the entire new fourth episode called Sunken Land, as promised by Revae. Also new textures and even some monsters I believe.

• The Truth is in here

It's missing the bonus episode which consisted of speedmaps, though. IMO not a big loss, but there are already people working on a way to bring those back, anyway.

Batandy released the Remaster of the first Golden Souls episode today.

The Legend Of Doom is the original The Legend Of Zelda in first perspective. Not the first experiment of this genre but still good. And it's another Nintendo themed mod.

Castlevania 3 For Simon's Destiny is an expansion addon for Simon's Destiny Mod. Adds new characters, maps, monsters, difficulties, and abilities. Load Simon's Destiny as IWAD and then Castlevania 3 For Simon's Destiny .PK3

For those who ignores it for some reason, the expansion for Abysm 2: Infernal Contract, Pharaoh's Judgement is in it's final release. Load Abysm 2 - Infernal Contract.pk3 after Pharaohs Judgement.pk3. I suggest to play the "simplest" first game Abysm: Dawn of Innocence before.

They are working on a restoring patch that re-insert the Bonus Episode of REKKR.
https://static.doomworld.com/monthly_2021_10/DOOM0000.png.7e70f053b572b3762aef0009b564a399.png

• The Truth is in here

Still not sure if it's worth bringing back a bunch of speedmaps that were rather improvised into an inconsistent episode. But well, it's additional REKKR content still and if people feel like they need every last bit of it, I can somewhat relate to that after all.

View PostFantinaikos, on 17 October 2021 - 05:54 AM, said:

Bonus Episode of REKKR.

I'd totally be down for that. Rekkr is dope.

I finished and posted the beta of Appetite For Detention, sequel to Dynamite Duchess, for playtesting. It's a standalone like the original, so all you need is gzdoom to run it. Started as an add-on and blew up into a full sequel in a more populous world of assholes you can actually talk to. (The MikesToyBox bit will apply once I make the trailer public).

Download from Mediafire

This post has been edited by ImpieTheThird: Yesterday, 07:10 PM

Share this topic:

• 141 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options