I do wish I could play that.

Why can't you?

User is online   Ninety-Six 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 29 June 2018 - 08:36 PM, said:

Why can't you?

GZDoom is a pretty heavy engine.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

What, are you running on a Pentiun 4 or something?

i5.

User is offline   Player Lin 

Unless it's very old, I think i5 still enough, but the problem would be your graphic card, at least OpenGL 3.3-supported, not some low-end shitty integrated graphic chip, especially those ones with outdated driver.

Yeah that's the one I got. And every new renderer update makes it more and more impossible to play on this thing. I was able to play through GS1 fine enough a few years ago, but a few months back I tried playing through Pirate Doom on one of the newer GZDoom versions and it was absolutely unplayable.

Usually when I play hardware-enabled mods I stick to Zandronum which uses a much older renderer even in some of the more recent versions. Unfortunately that's not really the case here, so I'm gonna have to sit this one out.

It's a shame though. I really did enjoy the first one (even if a handful of the levels were a bit dumb and it liked to crash when quicksaving).

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Is GZDoom’s renderer really that unoptimised? Not that polymer is a beacon of efficiency.

I'd say it's probably more optimized than polymer, but there are definitely even some more recent true 3D engines that are better optimized than GZDoom.

That's because the underlying DooM engine still has some limitations and many new modding features make GZDooM less of efficiency, just like eduke32, except GZDooM now using later OpenGL 4.x features mostly(1.x already removed for a while after code refactor and rewrite few years ago, 2.x just some backward compatibilities but will removed too in future because blocked new features development, and some costly features like Portal, SSAO tricks and other modern shit), and old hardwares won't run them well.

And they plan to do Vulkan support in future too(if possible), then those old shit can't run Vulkan will eventually left behind, it just metter of time...

https://forum.zdoom....hp?f=49&t=56740

Of course, optimizations still needed, but don't except something run fast like PrBoom+(unlike ZDoom based ports, lack of modding features, focused on other things like demo compatibilities and something not good for modding/change core things), GZDooM just already a beast now.

Unless it's something totally different than DooM engine source code-based then hope for better performance like modern engines just fat chance.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 30 June 2018 - 11:34 PM

A less crap runthrough of the first few levels of DooM on the SNES.

Part 2 of my DooM SNES Let's Play. PLEASE read the video description in regards to a brain fart I had regarding flying enemies, as well as my mislabeling of the secret level in the game's first episode.

This post has been edited by Major Tom: 08 July 2018 - 07:33 AM

Even though I like "The Rock" and the first Doom Movie, it wasn't about the game, which I thought was kind of dumb. I have played Doom a pretty good bit over the years, on computers and consoles, but it was obvious that the Doom movie with the Rock wasn't really related. It was like another space movie, they added distantly related Doom music too, and the Doom logo... this is "wrong" in my opinion. It wasn't a Doom movie, period.

Ok, done with that. So another Doom movie is coming out? With possibly a female lead from a game with no females in it? I haven't played the newest Doom game (we have the game, just not a PS4 yet, does it have females?) but I have seen it played a little, and seen the videos from when it was released. The idea that the lead character would be female is ridiculous... unless she is the Doom guys tech adviser during combat or something far out like that.

Maybe there was females in the newest Doom game and I just didn't see them, otherwise, this would be as dumb as the previous poster stated... like having a male version of Laura Croft in a Tomb Raider movie. It is simply "wrong"... unless the movie isn't actually about Doom.

CatNapDreams

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Welcome back!

I agree it's a strange decision...unless possibly it's made to resemble something like old 80s slasher films with the last surviving female trope somehow. I guess we'll see.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostCatNapDreams, on 08 July 2018 - 06:01 PM, said:

Even though I like "The Rock" and the first Doom Movie, it wasn't about the game, which I thought was kind of dumb. I have played Doom a pretty good bit over the years, on computers and consoles, but it was obvious that the Doom movie with the Rock wasn't really related. It was like another space movie, they added distantly related Doom music too, and the Doom logo... this is "wrong" in my opinion. It wasn't a Doom movie, period.

I'll go one step further and say what I think must be the truth: it was actually a Resident Evil movie. Some movie execs must have thought "Hey, those Resident Evil movies are making some good money, is there something we could milk too? Doom? What's that? Demons? Oh fuck no, it will be some virus instead just like in Resident Evil, hell, we'll use the exact same plot too! Who wants to make some money?"

View PostCatNapDreams, on 08 July 2018 - 06:01 PM, said:

(we have the game, just not a PS4 yet, does it have females?)

I don't think it's spoilers to answer this, since you find out literally within the first minute of the game, but just in case:

Spoiler

View PostZaxx, on 10 July 2018 - 12:30 AM, said:

I'll go one step further and say what I think must be the truth: it was actually a Resident Evil movie. Some movie execs must have thought "Hey, those Resident Evil movies are making some good money, is there something we could milk too? Doom? What's that? Demons? Oh fuck no, it will be some virus instead just like in Resident Evil, hell, we'll use the exact same plot too! Who wants to make some money?"

Y'know, I never thought about the movie like that, but now that you mention it...

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

A cool looking viking-themed megawad for Doom:

User is offline   Lunick 

I'd say it is more of a TC than a Megawad

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

It requires Ultimate Doom, but it's so different from the original game that I assume the author might turn it into a standalone game eventually. And guys, you gotta play this. I have just started with the first three levels plus secret level and it's insanely good. The weapons rock, the sounds are spot-on, the music creates a lot of atmosphere, the levels are well designed with occasional puzzles that actually require some thinking, monsters look convincing and so on. There's even GZDoom support with glowing effects for certain sprites etc. if you go for that port. As far as I am concerned, REKKR is the best Doom mod released this year, with a viking-style setting that you certainly don't see in games too often. Seal of approval!

This post has been edited by NightFright: 12 July 2018 - 01:21 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I've been kinda-sorta following REKKR's development for a while, but missed the fact that it was released! :( Thanks for the heads up guys!

BTW, I'm getting a Witchaven-esque vibe from this :unsure:

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 14 July 2018 - 02:28 AM

Part 3 of my SNES DooM Let's Play, in which the joys of hitscan weapons on a 16-bit console are brought up as I make my way through more of Episode 1.

User is offline   leilei 

This thread is oddly lacking the mention of the release of Doom64 for Doom II. I'll fix that now.
Doom 64 for Doom II released

This post has been edited by leilei: 15 July 2018 - 12:15 AM

User is offline   Cage 

After some technical hurdles we're back on track with weapon/monster scripting on our Doom TC, Supplice

Posted Image
(Video Clip 720p)

If you want to help this project, please ReTweet:
https://twitter.com/...651182325411840
Thank you!

User is offline   Jblade 

That reflection on the flamethrower's muzzle, just amazing :(

also lol:
https://forum.zdoom....php?f=4&t=61370

Oh, no, the thumbnail says "badasses"..... :(

End of Knee Deep in the Dead on SNES DooM. Enjoy until I upload the version with my voice-over tomorrow, and then enjoy THAT one more.

This post has been edited by Major Tom: 21 July 2018 - 01:27 PM

View PostJblade, on 21 July 2018 - 12:21 PM, said:

ugh

this is why I refuse to move on from my zDoom 2.8.1.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 21 July 2018 - 02:29 PM

Forced users only using desktop resolutions for games without compromises just bad idea...and shitfests like that will happens. :|

And they're try to make it better in newer dev. builds.
https://forum.zdoom....hp?f=49&t=61381
https://forum.zdoom....php?f=4&t=61382

View PostNinety-Six, on 21 July 2018 - 02:27 PM, said:

ugh

this is why I refuse to move on from my zDoom 2.8.1.

You know that shit is outdated and may have some security problems(fixed until later GZDooM 3.x release, some early GZDooM releases were taken down due to that reason)...

Why not using ZDooM32(or ZDooM LE but this one is EOL now) if you want to stuck on old ZDooM?

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 21 July 2018 - 09:54 PM

View PostPlayer Lin, on 21 July 2018 - 09:46 PM, said:

You know that shit is outdated and may have some security problems(fixed until later GZDooM 3.x release, some early GZDooM releases were taken down due to that reason)...

Why not using ZDooM32(or ZDooM LE but this one is EOL now) if you want to stuck on old ZDooM?

Because I don't even know what that is and its release thread does not help. It says it's apparently based on the truecolor thing and I just really don't want that. Maybe it supports the standard classic renderer but it doesn't really specify that, or really much of anything. But also apparently it was merged into GZDoom proper but it's getting separate releases anyway? I didn't understand any of that.

Speaking of unspecified, I heard about that security issue and nobody ever explained what that actually was. For all I know it's a bug in the multiplayer which I don't ever play with for zDoom. I use Zandronum for that. Maybe it's something else, I don't know; that whole team is very good at never explaining anything ever. See thread.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 21 July 2018 - 10:40 PM

View PostNinety-Six, on 21 July 2018 - 10:38 PM, said:

Because I don't even know what that is and its release thread does not help. It says it's apparently based on the truecolor thing and I just really don't want that. Maybe it supports the standard classic renderer but it doesn't really specify that, or really much of anything. But also apparently it was merged into GZDoom proper but it's getting separate releases anyway? I didn't understand any of that.

Speaking of unspecified, I heard about that security issue and nobody ever explained what that actually was. For all I know it's a bug in the multiplayer which I don't ever play with for zDoom. I use Zandronum for that. Maybe it's something else, I don't know; that whole team is very good at never explaining anything ever. See thread.

I do remembered ZDooM LE/ZDooM32 do supported old renderer, with added truecolor things, but I'm not actually using it since I have latest hardware.

Author of ZDooM32 said he would do a fork of latest GZDooM with some old things but if you want old ZDooM renderer then it doesn't matter.

The security issue I meant is ACS related one, it's not publicly know for years but it exists since 1.x era of ZDooM but nobody knows and fix it until end of 2017 and early this year(GZDooM release 3.2.5).

https://forum.zdoom....php?f=1&t=58991

And due to that, all GZDooM release before 3.2.5 were taken down. It's just you didn't see it I guess.
(Yes, some devs thinks it unlikely someone would use that flaw to hack systems since how minor of DooM user to compare others, but since other ZDooM-based ones are affected too so it still not empty threat I guess.)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 21 July 2018 - 11:32 PM

Now with voice-over!

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options