• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   Jinroh 

Oh man, Chex Quest HD, that looks killer! :blink:

I love me some Chex Quest.

From the propaganda point of view Chex Quest is the Space Jam of the FPS.

In truth, practically no one in Europe has seen both of this things as big commercial operations but simply one as a obscure if not unknown DOOM mod of a foreign brand from a very specific fandom part of the internet and one as a "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" alike cult classic toon. I am not aware that Warner Bros gadgets sales are particularly increased in Europe after Space Jam (also because of the fact that the Jordan-Bugs Nike commercial was not airing or at least it did not have the same impact it had in America, there was an attempt with a series of VHS called "The Stars of Space Jam" which contained remastered episodes) even less the Chex products which to me seems never arrived on the shelves.

I only learned about Chex Quest on the good old Home of the Underdogs.

Anyway, Chex Quest HD, whoa! Too bad it's only going to be five levels, but still, major props to Jacobi!

Just took a peek at Chex Quest's wikipedia page, you just know a real fan wrote all this crap: https://en.m.wikiped...wiki/Chex_Quest

User is offline   HulkNukem 

From all the media I saw of Chex Quest HD, specifically the screenshots, I honestly thought it looked like shit. I thought they should've just redrew the sprites in a high res hand drawn cartoon style like an old Looney Tunes or something. (Like that Ducktales HD that came out a couple years ago)
But then I saw the teaser with the game in action, and I think it actually looks pretty good in motion. I like how the characters are still locked to a 45 degree rotation even though they are 3D models

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 15 April 2017 - 12:36 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 10 April 2017 - 10:15 AM, said:

Fantastic architecture.

I've seen better architecture in other levels.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

That doesn't make it any less fantastic.

Whoa -- it's been awhile! First of all, HI EVERYONE! Missed this place =)

Second, related to the Doom Corner. . .
Something I'm casually messing around with - introducing 3DGEKatana:

Posted Image

And the first screen, of course:

Posted Image

It's a Total Conversion using my 3DGE engine, based on Daikatana; however, it does not follow the canon. Rather, it takes place after the ending of 'Daikatana' and only
uses one of the characters from that game, which is Mikiko Ebihara.

Mikiko has been kidnapped by a new villain (still working on his name), who plans on using her knowledge of her father's technology to carve a Slipgate hole into the Earth dimension,
allowing demons and other apparitions through to our world. Who and why this villain wants to do this is a mystery. After an attack on her company, most of her staff was
dead - however, a security guard was able to send a distress feed to any surviving family members.

It's now up to Kaeko Ebihara, Mikiko's twin sister (pictured in red armor), to track her down, find the bad guy, and seal the tunnel. Short, sweet, not overly complicated.

It's a loose continuation of Marc 'Fanatic' Pullen's mod, QDOOM. I got permission to develop QDOOM II, and he licensed his entire soundtrack to the project and all existing content. For those
who don't know, QDOOM is a very old mod for the original EDGE engine that offered Quake gameplay and visuals - it proved EDGE could flex its muscle in new ways (years before
ZDoom was able to attain similar modding features).

QDOOM II was a little project to get away from the pressure of working on Hypertension. A few weeks ago I dusted QDOOM II off, but the whole idea of working on a Quake-themed
project by this point seemed a little tiring for me, especially since its been done to death. So, instead of abandoning it, I retooled most of it into 3DGEKatana. I decided to keep the Quake
physics and some of the enemies that were appropriate (so, no more ricocheting projectiles!!). It uses most of its Daikatana content from Episode 1 and 4, skipping the whole time-travel
stuff and abandoning the other two sidekicks.

Anyways, it's a fun little project to keep me motivated to work on my engine and game. Especially since my engine now has true vertex-lighting, GLSL shader support, UDMF features,
and beefed-up model support! :-)

EDIT: Cleaned up grammar a bit.

This post has been edited by ♥Coraline♥: 16 April 2017 - 06:21 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Nothing makes me feel environmentally safe better than glowing green ground and water. :blink:

That sounds really great! I always thought Daikatana is a great starting point for a TC, good to see something like that coming!

A bunch of cool mods that implement some of the DOOM I features into DOOM II and their expansions.

Episodic Doom II, TNT and PLUTONIA by Gifty (same creator of SBAR+ based on the NightFright's Wide SBAR)
https://forum.zdoom....hp?f=43&t=55461

DOOM II Episodic
https://www.dropbox....isodic.wad?dl=0

TNT EVILUTION Episodic

PLUTONIA Episodic

WadSmoosh merging all official ID releases into a single PK3 IWAD by JPL
https://forum.zdoom....hp?f=44&t=52757

WadSmoosh Download
https://bitbucket.or...oosh/downloads/

Intermission Map for Thy Flesh consumed, notoriously the only DOOM I official episode without one.
https://forum.zdoom....le.php?id=10467

Abandoned project of DOOM I style Intermission map in DOOM II
https://forum.zdoom....hp?f=42&t=30594

Make your own Intermission map with the Universal Doom 2 Intermission Screen Mod (+ OBLIGE Addon) by Spaceman333
https://forum.zdoom....hp?f=46&t=55323

User is offline   Cage 

Visual tests for the Bellerophon orbital base theme in Supplice - the second half of episode one. Enjoy!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I like the contrast in your textures; they have a sort of stylized cartoon-ish look while still looking gritty.
I really REALLY like the rusted orange exterior texture

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 17 April 2017 - 11:39 AM

Quick question: which Ultimate Doom episode do you guys consider to be the best?

User is offline   Loke 

View PostPikaCommando, on 26 April 2017 - 12:24 AM, said:

Quick question: which Ultimate Doom episode do you guys consider to be the best?

First one closely followed by the fourth.

Episode 1 with Romero's new E1M8
Then it's E4M2 by itself
I can't ever finish the other episodes in a single sitting like I can E1

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Number 1.

Not germane to the question, but No Rest for the Living is damn good.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 27 April 2017 - 11:26 AM

User is offline   axl 

- Ultimate Doom: Knee Deep in the Dead, followed by Thy Flesh Consumed... The other 2 have their moments.
- Doom 2: never liked the abstract level design from Doom 2 (Sandy Petersen)... The only levels I really like are those by Romero: Circle of Death, Industrial Zone, Tenements, The Living End.
- TNT: even worse than Doom 2... Administration Center, Habitat are just awful... I do like both secrets levels.
- Plutonia Experiment: probably my favorite Doom after Ultimate Doom.
- No Rest for the Living: also really great !

This post has been edited by axl: 27 April 2017 - 12:35 PM

For TUD, E1 is the best, best level design overall and just the most fun. E2 and E3 are really rough imo. E4 i havent played much to really form an opinion, but the difficulty curve is fucked

For D2, its a mixed bag, some really good/creative levels (tricks and traps) with some bullshit ones like the city levels.

Final Doom ive barely played because it seems to be mostly for masochists who love chaingun snipers and revenants depending on the wad

NRFTL is imho the best official levelset. Its got great level designs and it benefits from the ssg and new demons from d2. Vivisection is probably my favourite official doom map

User is offline   Jolteon 

For Ultimate Doom, My favorite episode is Ep. 1, with Ep 4 being my least favorite.

I do really like the levels in Doom II, with my favorite level being Gotcha! (Least favorite is the Citadel)

TNT is probably my favorite Final Doom episode with my favorite level being Central Processing (Played it a lot when I was still a Teenager, although Pharaoh is pretty good too).

Plutonia was pretty difficult, but it can still fun for me. Favorite level is Go 2 it (Because why not :( ).

No Rest For The Living was pretty good, with Hell Mountain being my favorite level.

User is offline   Lunick 

Quasar has back-ported Jaguar Doom to PC https://www.doomworl...calico-10-beta/
Posted Image

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Too bad that Trump - Duke Nukem thread didn't stay open.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

On my desperate search for a proper fullscreen statusbar that still uses original graphics, I stumbled upon this neat DOOM fullscreen statusbar by DTDSphere. This works perfectly with GZDoom's new statusbar scaling feature (imported from QZDoom) and supports pretty much any PWAD out there which modifies the STBAR lump. Finally no further need for widescreen statusbars to cover the ugly border tiles and more visible space on screen without having to give up on the classic statusbar!

Spoiler

The whole project also inspired me to work on the statusbar a bit more (improved transparency, relocation of level stats display) and provide versions for Heretic and Hexen (can be found in the same thread). For previews, see screenshots in spoiler above.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 08 May 2017 - 07:37 AM

User is online   FistMarine 

Speaking of GZDoom, version 3.0.1 was released a couple of days ago: https://forum.zdoom....pic.php?t=56219

Yesterday, a new version of Eternity was also released: https://www.doomworl...-34202-heimdal/

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostNightFright, on 08 May 2017 - 07:31 AM, said:

On my desperate search for a proper fullscreen statusbar that still uses original graphics, I stumbled upon this neat DOOM fullscreen statusbar by DTDSphere. This works perfectly with GZDoom's new statusbar scaling feature (imported from QZDoom) and supports pretty much any PWAD out there which modifies the STBAR lump. Finally no further need for widescreen statusbars to cover the ugly border tiles and more visible space on screen without having to give up on the classic statusbar!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• The Truth is in here

That's neat stuff actually. You don't happen to have the Doom 2 titlescreen in widescreen as well?

User is offline   axl 

View PostNightFright, on 08 May 2017 - 07:31 AM, said:

[spoiler]

The whole project also inspired me to work on the statusbar a bit more (improved transparency, relocation of level stats display) and provide versions for Heretic and Hexen (can be found in the same thread). For previews, see screenshots in spoiler above.

Woow, this is indeed very handy !

That's neat stuff actually. You don't happen to have the Doom 2 titlescreen in widescreen as well?

All those widescreens seems just obtained from the simple repetition of the texture and by the addition of the parts that were cutted out using the ingame textures. To have what you probably mean, like also an extended original not Ultimate Doom DOOM 1 cover title, would require a true pixel artist.

However with the same method we can even do a Widescreen version of the Zippy's recreation of Master Levels menu.
https://forum.zdoom....hp?f=19&t=20795

• The Truth is in here

Yeah, the D2 title image is much more complex than the D1 one, not using background tiles. The widescreen tiles that exist are still nicely done (even though many are missing, ofc).

View PostPikaCommando, on 26 April 2017 - 12:24 AM, said:

The first one is notable because it only had one bad map, that being E1M6, which is too large and bland. The veterans will probably favor the fourth as well due to the challenging difficulty and the intricacies of many of the maps. However, my own personal favorites are the second and the third.

IMO the second episode has a great atmosphere of mystery, although it's probably the worst in overall quality. But I simply enjoy the continuous depravation of the lunar stations by the hellish elements, culminating in the Cyberdemon fight. The Cyberdemon is the perfect boss for the episode, because it's an amalgamation of demon and machine, and the whole episode is like that.

The third episode is simply an amazing representation of Hell itself, and also incredibly atmospheric. Artistically speaking, it's probably the best one. Unfortunately, the boss is probably the weakest between the three original episodes.

User is offline   Loke 

Trailer for episode 2 of WolfenDoom: Blade of Agony.

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options